Options

2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.
    And now we can crown the Celtics NBA champions.  :D
    lol, I was right after I made my corrections in the 2nd rd.  It's not like they were egregious calls...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.
    lol, I was right after I made my corrections in the 2nd rd.  It's not like they were egregious calls...
    "After I made my corrections" tells you that you predicted wrong.
    You predicted Brooklyn to beat Boston, Then you predicted Milwaukee to beat Boston.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.
    You predicted Brooklyn to beat Boston, Then you predicted Milwaukee to beat Boston.

I told you I didn't trust Boston.  They fooled me in believing in them for years.  Almost as bad as believing in the Nets.  Kyrie and KD get a vote of no confidence for the rest of their years until they can actually prove me wrong.

Milwaukee had a great collapse too, it's not like Boston looked good early in that series so stop it.
  • Options
    Phoenix looks lost.  Great adjustment by Kid and the Mavs.
    The Heat have such a deep team they shouldn't be losing to Philly.
    Warriors are going to roll on the Grizz now.
    Boston can't figure out the Bucks so they are done too.
    Hey Poncier I was 3 for 4...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.

Milwaukee had a great collapse too, it's not like Boston looked good early in that series so stop it.
    Celtics haven't lost back to back games with their full lineup since January (they did lose one late in the season in Toronto when Tatum, brown and Horford didn't make the trip). So losing game 1 of a series like they did to Milwaukee is not a death knell. They bounced back and blew the Bucks out in game 2. I wouldn't say Milwaukee had a great collapse, they barely won both games 3 and 5 (Celtics had the great collapse in game 5 handing the Bucks that game late with bad turnovers etc.) and got pounded in games 6 and 7. Celtics were clearly the better team (Middleton's absence a big part of that).
  • Options
    Phoenix looks lost.  Great adjustment by Kid and the Mavs.
    The Heat have such a deep team they shouldn't be losing to Philly.
    Warriors are going to roll on the Grizz now.
    Boston can't figure out the Bucks so they are done too.
    Hey Poncier I was 3 for 4...
    Take that issue up with Wobbie. I never contradicted anything in this post aside from your anti-Celtics takes this entire postseason. My direct response to that post only discussed how wrong you were with the 4th item.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.

Celtics haven't lost back to back games with their full lineup since January (they did lose one late in the season in Toronto when Tatum, brown and Horford didn't make the trip). So losing game 1 of a series like they did to Milwaukee is not a death knell. They bounced back and blew the Bucks out in game 2. I wouldn't say Milwaukee had a great collapse, they barely won both games 3 and 5 (Celtics had the great collapse in game 5 handing the Bucks that game late with bad turnovers etc.) and got pounded in games 6 and 7. Celtics were clearly the better team (Middleton's absence a big part of that).
    Middleton could have been a huge factor, yes.  Mil just turned though, like they forgot how to play.  After that gm5 they should not have lost that series...

This series will be the battle of the 3rd quarters.  I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Interesting fact about the finals...

Both Kyrie and KD left their teams in 2019 and both those teams are now in the finals...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.

Perhaps to be outdone by the 4th quarters.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    If he played like this for Boston and Philly previously those teams may have done better.  Dude has been playing unbelievably.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    I saw GS wins.

Perhaps to be outdone by the 4th quarters.
    Fell asleep after halftime.  Looks like GS whooped like they do in the third and they too fell asleep in the 4th...

Watching highlight s now and Boston did some serious whooping in that 4th.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    23scidoo said:
    If he played like this for Boston and Philly previously those teams may have done better.  Dude has been playing unbelievably.
    He was a double agent when he was here. Only way to explain it. lol. Fuck Al Horford.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    He was a double agent when he was here. Only way to explain it. lol. Fuck Al Horford.
    Or your coach at the time had no clue how to use him properly. 
    Plus his knee was balky and OKC basically red shirting him last season gave him time to heal up.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    Plus his knee was balky and OKC basically red shirting him last season gave him time to heal up.
    Or they should never have signed him in the first place as he was a bad fit. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,160
    its fun to see big guys step back and drain 3's
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    I'd buy both theories right now.

Just think what Boston COULD have done.  That was one of those years where I thought they let everyone down as that team(s) were stacked.

Same goes for Philly.  Another year I thought they would have done better.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:

Just think what Boston COULD have done.  That was one of those years where I thought they let everyone down as that team(s) were stacked.

They never got to really put that team on full display due to a combination of injuries and a bad mix of personalities (in hindsight it is clear the main personality issue now resides in Brooklyn)

2017 opening night starting 5 of Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Horford and Hayward. Bench featuring Smart, Markus Morris, Rozier, Aron Baynes, Theis.
    5 minutes into the season Hayward breaks his ankle. Kyrie misses the playoffs that year and they still take Lebron and the Cavs to game 7 of the ECF.
    Next season Hayward is back but definitely not the same, still tentative, and about halfway through the season, Kyrie just quits mentally. After saying he was going to re-sign at preseason event, suddenly goes quiet on the subject is seen talking with Durant at ASG with the infamous "two max slots" lip reading incident where he is clearly planning his departure to Brooklyn. I've alluded previously to the game in Orlando with the C's down 1 in waning seconds and the inbounds pass goes to Tatum instead of Kyrie and that basically is the last straw for petulant child Irving and he never gives max effort again. Plays like an absolute dog vs Bucks in playoffs.

That team on paper had potential to win multiple titles. Brown and Tatum were still very young (19 and 20 to start that 2017 season), and Kyrie just couldn't gel with his teammates and things became toxic. (That also led Horford to opt out and sign with Philly. He has said he regrets that move and is glad to be back in Boston, And ultimately Hayward left a year later. 

Ainge put together a championship caliber roster on paper, but there have been plenty of teams that look great on paper in all sports that don't click. See this year's Lakers as the most recent (and one of the most egregious ever) examples.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I expect the rest of the games to look like this in the finals.
  • Options
    So you're predicting Warriors in 5?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Unless Boston wins game 3. Then he's picking Boston in 5. hahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    For the record, my money has been on GS in 6.

Also had their over at 109.5 last night though. Fuck. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I think Boston might win one more.  I did pick GS to win everything.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:
    Poncier said:
    23scidoo said:

They never got to really put that team on full display due to a combination of injuries and a bad mix of personalities (in hindsight it is clear the main personality issue now resides in Brooklyn)

2017 opening night starting 5 of Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Horford and Hayward. Bench featuring Smart, Markus Morris, Rozier, Aron Baynes, Theis.
    5 minutes into the season Hayward breaks his ankle. Kyrie misses the playoffs that year and they still take Lebron and the Cavs to game 7 of the ECF.
    Next season Hayward is back but definitely not the same, still tentative, and about halfway through the season, Kyrie just quits mentally. After saying he was going to re-sign at preseason event, suddenly goes quiet on the subject is seen talking with Durant at ASG with the infamous "two max slots" lip reading incident where he is clearly planning his departure to Brooklyn. I've alluded previously to the game in Orlando with the C's down 1 in waning seconds and the inbounds pass goes to Tatum instead of Kyrie and that basically is the last straw for petulant child Irving and he never gives max effort again. Plays like an absolute dog vs Bucks in playoffs.

That team on paper had potential to win multiple titles. Brown and Tatum were still very young (19 and 20 to start that 2017 season), and Kyrie just couldn't gel with his teammates and things became toxic. (That also led Horford to opt out and sign with Philly. He has said he regrets that move and is glad to be back in Boston, And ultimately Hayward left a year later. 

Ainge put together a championship caliber roster on paper, but there have been plenty of teams that look great on paper in all sports that don't click. See this year's Lakers as the most recent (and one of the most egregious ever) examples.

I forgot they had Hayward too, damn.
  • Options
    Decent series so far.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Watching this Finals gives me fits.

GS is NOT playing like they usually do.  Splash Brothers are sporadic  at best. Klay needs to wake up.
    Williams for BS is a beast.

Live and die by that 3.

Where the hell is Poole?  Boston's defense is great but there are too many weapons on GS to lockdown everyone.

Wiggins is playing great defense.

The Curry defensive mismatches have been interesting.

Tatum needs more help from his guys.  He really is carrying the load for the whole team.

Al who?

It is a great series so far.  The Celtics have definitely disrupted the Warriors rhythm.
  • Options
    Well Brown has scored the exact same number of points as Tatum through 4 games (while shooting better), so it's by no means a one man show. Others do need to step up more consistently for sure.

Pivotal game tonight obviously. 
    I think it comes down to the Robins tonight as the Batmans (Batmen?) cancel each other and its Brown or Thompson who puts hit team over the top.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Well Brown has scored the exact same number of points as Tatum through 4 games (while shooting better), so it's by no means a one man show. Others do need to step up more consistently for sure.

Pivotal game tonight obviously. 
    I think it comes down to the Robins tonight as the Batmans (Batmen?) cancel each other and its Brown or Thompson who puts hit team over the top.
    GS has to go off tonight.  They really haven't yet, not like in the past Finals.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Beat Boston
    I SAW PEARL JAM