School Teachers Rewarding Test Scores With Candy

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
I will preface this discussion with a fact: in grade 4, my teacher said anyone who gets 100% on the weekly spelling test got a full sized chocolate bar. Being an admittedly stellar speller (believe me, this is not something to brag about-I'd much rather have been stellar with the ladies), he got behind and by the end of the year he made good on it (I kept track) and he actually came in to class with 28 or so chocolate bars for me. Now, of course, at the time, I thought this was amazing. Both for the candy and how easy it was for me. 

Fast forward 30+ years and now my daughter's grade 5 teacher is doing something similar with their times tables. He actually sent out a mass email to all the families outlining what each kid would get if the class average was at each percentage level; small candy each, bigger bag of candy if better, all the way up to taking them all out to a fucking movie if they got really high (which was obviously unattainable/low risk for him given the starting average). 

Now, my problem with this is two fold:

1) rewarding all kids the same for some kids getting 100% and other kids getting 30% is asinine. that just teaches kids they can get a reward for others doing all the work. How about reward/not reward the kids individually for their grades? Oh right, then feelings will be hurt. GAH. 
2) teaching kids that you get rewarded for doing what you are supposed to be doing is a terrible example. Sure, in work life people get bonuses. But by and large, not for doing their jobs. Usually it's for going above and beyond. 

I would like to hear from other teachers on this. Do you do this? If so, I understand the desire to give your students motivation to improve, but how do you expect them to perform in another subject with another teacher if there is no prize at the end? And how do you teach them that this isn't how the real world works? I understand they are in grade 5, but I'm just curious how you move forward after that. 

No, I'm not outraged about this. Just curious what others see as the potential benefit/downside of this would be, if any. 
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I should also mention I don't have a massive problem personally with this, since my kids are honestly very good at school (so far) and don't need the motivation. It just bothers me more in principle. But I also don't want my girls growing up thinking this is how things should work, as I previously mentioned. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I wouldn’t do this, but mostly since I teach secondary and have 150 kids every day. I’m not tracking that many averages and buying that much candy every test.
    But I don’t have a problem with it. Class rewards sometimes can help students support others. There are worse ways we teach kids to just ride the wave. Like a kid can fail every class in middle school without any consequence, but then gets to high school and takes him a year to 2 to realize credits suddenly matter.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    If the idea of giving the kids all the same reward as a way of encouraging them to work together, to lift each other up, that might make sense.  I have to wonder though- is that the teachers motive or is he just looking out for himself, thinking that he doesn't reward the one's who don't do the work- that he won't be liked or will have to work harder with those kids?  Or maybe he is afraid what the kid's parents will say or do.  His motive is a big issue here.

In any case, the reward: candy.  Really?  Giving kids something that is going to rot their teeth, get them jacked up and them drop them back down and is bad for their health?  Terrible idea!

I may be wrong, but this sounds more like more obedience training for dogs rather than helping kids learn truly become self confident, critical thinking, secure and happy people.  Life generally doesn't reward you for doing what you need to or even for doing things well.  The best reward is the guidance from a teacher or mentor toward the self-knowledge that we can or have succeeded- maybe even to the point where we want to help others succeed.  I had teacher once tell me I had potential to be a good writer.  I never made a career out of it, but I enjoy writing.  And, all these years ago, being told that still resonates as one of the greatest rewards I ever have received from a teacher- better than all the candy in the world.  Encouragement and a true showing of sincere concern for a student are the best things a teacher can give a kid. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My reward for good grades is that they get a good grade lol.  I've never given out any sort of awards/candy/incentives for grades.  
    Same with my kids, their one job in life is to get good grades.  Do your job.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Yes...intrinsic reward... doing your best...this is what you get...knowledge of your standing...shakey ground or no...I had the privilege of an alternative experimental experiential school in my teens ...late 70's... if you didn't like your grade you could re do the assignment..whether it be facts you hadn't learned..an essay that wasnt structurally sound...or just boring... learned a lot...which is the point after all...my choice all along to measure my own standards against what was held as the standard...if there was no measure I dont believe I would have tried again...or just would have thought I was the most brilliant without having put an effort in...kept me searching for a heart of gold... sometimes i would be satisfied with less than stellar depending on the daily circumstance of teenage angst...other times i would delve much more deeply into the topic at hand....some one once said if you get to know the most you can about the 3 square feet you occupy you will thrive.... and be alive...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    My reward for good grades is that they get a good grade lol.  I've never given out any sort of awards/candy/incentives for grades.  
    You get any rewards for your job? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    A paycheck and a pension. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That’s all you ever get? Your workplace sucks.

hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    If the idea of giving the kids all the same reward as a way of encouraging them to work together, to lift each other up, that might make sense.  I have to wonder though- is that the teachers motive or is he just looking out for himself, thinking that he doesn't reward the one's who don't do the work- that he won't be liked or will have to work harder with those kids?  Or maybe he is afraid what the kid's parents will say or do.  His motive is a big issue here.

In any case, the reward: candy.  Really?  Giving kids something that is going to rot their teeth, get them jacked up and them drop them back down and is bad for their health?  Terrible idea!

I may be wrong, but this sounds more like more obedience training for dogs rather than helping kids learn truly become self confident, critical thinking, secure and happy people.  Life generally doesn't reward you for doing what you need to or even for doing things well.  The best reward is the guidance from a teacher or mentor toward the self-knowledge that we can or have succeeded- maybe even to the point where we want to help others succeed.  I had teacher once tell me I had potential to be a good writer.  I never made a career out of it, but I enjoy writing.  And, all these years ago, being told that still resonates as one of the greatest rewards I ever have received from a teacher- better than all the candy in the world.  Encouragement and a true showing of sincere concern for a student are the best things a teacher can give a kid. 

i agree brian. the biggest thing i recall from high school is our band teacher badgering me and badgering nonstop to join the choir. as a metalhead, not a chance in hell i was doing that. he was my mom's quartet's singing coach, so he knew good pipes ran in the family. and he knew i could sing. 

that one thing from that one teacher gave me the confidence, 20 years later, to a) join my buddy on stage to sing backup on one of his tunes for his album release and b) sing on my own band's ep. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

we sometimes get bonuses, but that's only for going above and beyond. not for doing the job i'm paid to do. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

we sometimes get bonuses, but that's only for going above and beyond. not for doing the job i'm paid to do. 
    What is “above and beyond” anyhow? You are paid to show up and do whatever job they ask you to.

Still there is more than $. Different thank you, celebrations (meals), etc.

I would pick something different... like a class party of some kind of meeting a combined goal. But I don’t mind the thought process that much with kids
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What is “above and beyond” anyhow? You are paid to show up and do whatever job they ask you to.

I would pick something different... like a class party of some kind of meeting a combined goal. But I don’t mind the thought process that much with kids
    like if you volunteer your time to be put on a special project that costs you extra stress, time, etc. 

we do get those little parties when a project goes live or is completed. but the ones who shit the bed generally get fired. they don't get the same bonus that those who excelled do, which is one of the main two points i was making. why reward the twits who didn't do squat?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:

i agree brian. the biggest thing i recall from high school is our band teacher badgering me and badgering nonstop to join the choir. as a metalhead, not a chance in hell i was doing that. he was my mom's quartet's singing coach, so he knew good pipes ran in the family. and he knew i could sing. 

that one thing from that one teacher gave me the confidence, 20 years later, to a) join my buddy on stage to sing backup on one of his tunes for his album release and b) sing on my own band's ep
    Very cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

like if you volunteer your time to be put on a special project that costs you extra stress, time, etc. 

we do get those little parties when a project goes live or is completed. but the ones who shit the bed generally get fired. they don't get the same bonus that those who excelled do, which is one of the main two points i was making. why reward the twits who didn't do squat?
    I understand your point, but I've been at many manufacturing sites and some other places...and there are things they celebrate as a whole.  Things they celebrate as smaller groups (business units, lines, teams).  And things they celebrate individuals for.

I think the group reward is to try and get everyone to care...and even if some don't, others still try to get them to care and then fill the gaps.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I understand your point, but I've been at many manufacturing sites and some other places...and there are things they celebrate as a whole.  Things they celebrate as smaller groups (business units, lines, teams).  And things they celebrate individuals for.

I think the group reward is to try and get everyone to care...and even if some don't, others still try to get them to care and then fill the gaps.
    yes, there are things we as a corp celebrate as a whole as well, as I mentioned prior, and obviously not everyone gave 110%. so yes, obviously some are getting rewarded for virtually nothing. I just find it odd for individual test scores (even if the goal is the class average), and CANDY. I guess what else motivates kids, right? I get it. Something about it just doesn't sit right. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

yes, there are things we as a corp celebrate as a whole as well, as I mentioned prior, and obviously not everyone gave 110%. so yes, obviously some are getting rewarded for virtually nothing. I just find it odd for individual test scores (even if the goal is the class average), and CANDY. I guess what else motivates kids, right? I get it. Something about it just doesn't sit right. 
    The candy thing is the easy way. Heck, I’m training I’ve given I’ve used it. It’s quick and easy and what the people wanted. It’s nit a reward if they didn’t want it :)

But you are correct, I’m sure (especially for kids) there are better choices.

hippiemom = goodness
  • If that is what motivates the kids to try harder then fine.

I know I was "bribed" by some of my aunts and uncles to do better in school with the reward of cold hard cash but I didn't give a shit, lol.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    And a new generation of diabetics is born. Too much sugar can lead to Type 2 Diabetes. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2019
    Since Massachusetts schools teach to a test and schools' budgets and teachers' jobs/salaries depend on those test scores, you can bet your ass that they bribe the fuck out of the kids to study for and do well on the absurd and (surprise!) racist tests. Last year, my kids' school allowed gum and candy to keep kids awake and alert during the test.

My daughter was so worked up about it, too. I tried to explain to her that it doesn't mean a damn thing, but she's just an anxious person. She could take just punch random answers, and it won't affect her future one bit. The state is just using it to measure the schools/educators. And since they're not interested in imparting knowledge to the future adults in their system, choosing memorization over actual learning, then they don't even deserve her best effort.

I wish we could afford a private school. They are exempt from the statewide test since they don't receive public funds, and as a result, the kids are more likely to remember the things they have learned because they actually educate children instead of running memorization drills. I don't want her to have to deal with this anxiety every year. Pretty sure my son won't give a shit.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Since Massachusetts schools teach to a test and schools' budgets and teachers' jobs/salaries depend on those test scores, you can bet your ass that they bribe the fuck out of the kids to study for and do well on the absurd and (surprise!) racist tests. Last year, my kids' school allowed gum and candy to keep kids awake and alert during the test.

My daughter was so worked up about it, too. I tried to explain to her that it doesn't mean a damn thing, but she's just an anxious person. She could take just punch random answers, and it won't affect her future one bit. The state is just using it to measure the schools/educators. And since they're not interested in imparting knowledge to the future adults in their system, choosing memorization over actual learning, then they don't even deserve her best effort.

I wish we could afford a private school. They are exempt from the statewide test since they don't receive public funds, and as a result, the kids are more likely to remember the things they have learned because they actually educate children instead of running memorization drills. I don't want her to have to deal with this anxiety every year. Pretty sure my son won't give a shit.
    My daughter takes state tests.  She does very well, and her public school is not just teaching to a test.  She has had some amazing teachers that challenge the kids on how to learn and have the kids thinking very differently than just memorization.  I am pretty happy with the public school.  And I'm not sure what the best way is to evaluate teachers...but there needs to be a way. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    dankind said:

My daughter takes state tests.  She does very well, and her public school is not just teaching to a test.  She has had some amazing teachers that challenge the kids on how to learn and have the kids thinking very differently than just memorization.  I am pretty happy with the public school.  And I'm not sure what the best way is to evaluate teachers...but there needs to be a way. 
    People in my town appear to be happy with the public schools as well -- except, of course, when the principal for one of the elementary schools decided to come out as trans, then it was cue the pitchforks and tiki torches. 

Terribly moronic place I live. 

The proof is that the high school got one of Betsy DeVos's Blue Ribbon awards. They must be teaching creationism and arming oneself against intruding bears at that place. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Kat said:
    And a new generation of diabetics is born. Too much sugar can lead to Type 2 Diabetes. 

Don't let your kids participate in Halloween then...
    edited October 2019
    Kat said:

They can still participate: tricks>treats.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Kat said:

it's not a case where this is happening often (yet). if it does, I will have a chat with him and/or the principal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    My dad was a teacher and principal, and he would offer rewards, but never candy (he always told his students that sugar is "white death" :lol: ), and he never ever gave rewards to people who didn't earn them. He simply encouraged those kids to work harder so that they could be rewarded. What he did for reward was literally give real medals to kids who did well, and would have little awards ceremonies with these medals, had an actual winners' podium, and hung the medals on the kids' necks on ribbons as though they were in the Olympics, lol. The kids LOVED that so much, and it seemed that the other kids really strove to get on that winners' podium. My dad was a much loved teacher and administrator, both with the students and his teachers. He employed charm and friendliness, but never made anyone feel like shit for doing badly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2019
    Kat said:

Sugar doesn't really cause type 2 diabetes anyway - that's a misleading statement. Being overweight can increase your chances of getting it, and it just so happens that tons of sugar may cause people to be overweight. Sugar specifically has nothing to do with it. Too much fat and calories and not enough exercise can increase ones chances of getting diabetes too.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    My dad was a teacher and principal, and he would offer rewards, but never candy (he always told his students that sugar is "white death" :lol: ), and he never ever gave rewards to people who didn't earn them. He simply encouraged those kids to work harder so that they could be rewarded. What he did for reward was literally give real medals to kids who did well, and would have little awards ceremonies with these medals, had an actual winners' podium, and hung the medals on the kids' necks on ribbons as though they were in the Olympics, lol. The kids LOVED that so much, and it seemed that the other kids really strove to get on that winners' podium. My dad was a much loved teacher and administrator, both with the students and his teachers. He employed charm and friendliness, but never made anyone feel like shit for doing badly.
    If the kids loved it then it was the right choice. Sounds awesome!
    hippiemom = goodness
    So an assistant principal in some Maine town thought it wise to use the N-word while reprimanding a misbehaving nine-year-old biracial student.

This woman still has her a job. The superintendent is backing her and saying that she'll just get some "additional training."

Because America.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    So an assistant principal in some Maine town thought it wise to use the N-word while reprimanding a misbehaving nine-year-old biracial student.

This woman still has her a job. The superintendent is backing her and saying that she'll just get some "additional training."

Because America.
    It's a funny thing what Supers and Principals get away with while teachers quickly get the axe.

Do u have a link for this story?  Sounds like a good read.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    edited October 2019
    m

Kat said:

That war was lost when the scientists created Code Red Mt. Dew.  Damn those scientists ...