Roger Waters to tour in 2020 doing indoor arena dates during an election year

2»

Comments

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    I feel the same way. I liked his display during Pigs (the tiny Trump dick in particular) but I can see why people wouldn't. But even if you don't like it, you don't have to leave. I can't tell ya how many Eddie Vedder ramblings at PJ shows had my eyes rolling to the back of my head. But so what? Just wait him out and enjoy the next song. Same with Waters or anyone else. 
    Pigs was just fantastic.  The whole center of the floor being a video was unique  I love every Waters show I attend and I would love to see him again.  I usually see him in DC which brings out an extra dose of cynicism.  
    Hey we might have been at the same show. I was at the 2017 show in D.C. 
    Yep!  I think it was night 2.  I ended up recording the whole thing and have audio.  There's another set of film out there as well.  One day I might make into a multicam bluray.  
    Well I think he has a film similar to the one he did for his Wall tour coming out soon that will document the 2017 tour. So maybe wait and see what that's all about before you go through all the trouble of making a multicam, unless you just want that specific show because you were there....which I'd totally get. 

Speaking of filmed shows in DC, I saw Jack White at the Anthem last summer and low-and-behold, he released that show as a film. What great luck! He could have made a film out of any show he did on that tour (even the other Anthem show that I didn't attend), and he made one of the show I was at. Wasn't so lucky with PJ's 2003 MSG shows. I was at the second one, but they made a film out of the first. Oh well. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    I feel the same way. I liked his display during Pigs (the tiny Trump dick in particular) but I can see why people wouldn't. But even if you don't like it, you don't have to leave. I can't tell ya how many Eddie Vedder ramblings at PJ shows had my eyes rolling to the back of my head. But so what? Just wait him out and enjoy the next song. Same with Waters or anyone else. 
    Pigs was just fantastic.  The whole center of the floor being a video was unique  I love every Waters show I attend and I would love to see him again.  I usually see him in DC which brings out an extra dose of cynicism.  
    Yep!  I think it was night 2.  I ended up recording the whole thing and have audio.  There's another set of film out there as well.  One day I might make into a multicam bluray.  
    Well I think he has a film similar to the one he did for his Wall tour coming out soon that will document the 2017 tour. So maybe wait and see what that's all about before you go through all the trouble of making a multicam, unless you just want that specific show because you were there....which I'd totally get. 

Speaking of filmed shows in DC, I saw Jack White at the Anthem last summer and low-and-behold, he released that show as a film. What great luck! He could have made a film out of any show he did on that tour (even the other Anthem show that I didn't attend), and he made one of the show I was at. Wasn't so lucky with PJ's 2003 MSG shows. I was at the second one, but they made a film out of the first. Oh well. 
    Whoa... wait a minute.  I was at both of those Anthem shows.  Where did Jack release that show?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Whoa... wait a minute.  I was at both of those Anthem shows.  Where did Jack release that show?
    Amazon Prime. It's called "Kneeling At The Anthem." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nice dude.  Both nights were amazing.  I can't remember which night it was, but when he sang You've Got Her in Your Pocket a cappela, I got chills.  What a talent.  
    Let's catch a beer at the Anthem sometime.  I think I'll be at night 2 of the Black Keys later this month.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nice dude.  Both nights were amazing.  I can't remember which night it was, but when he sang You've Got Her in Your Pocket a cappela, I got chills.  What a talent.  
    Let's catch a beer at the Anthem sometime.  I think I'll be at night 2 of the Black Keys later this month.  
    Well I’m not down in the DC area too often but next time I am for a show I’ll hit ya up. 

Enjoy the Jack White film. It even has footage of him playing earlier in the day at a local high school

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,538
    pjl44 said:
    mwplum said:
    shecky said:
    Personally, I don't give a damn what any "performer" thinks politically. I pay your salary (via record, concert ticket and swag purchases) to entertain me, to offer me respite from my daily stress. Nothing else, thank you.
    I’ve always found this to be such an ignorant take. Firstly, the “paying the salary argument is ridiculous”, but I take more issue with the “ignorance is bliss” part. Like someone else said, you’re going to an act where the art is inherently tied to politics. If you don’t get that, you’re missing the meaning of the lyrics.

I wouldn’t go to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent  show and tell them to tone it down...I just wouldn’t go.
    The trouble is that the songs/lyrics (like Animals or parts of The Wall) are pretty nuanced and elements of Roger's show can get pretty hamfisted. I don't agree with shecky's take but I get where it comes from.

If he had songs about Trump's dick, I'd probably feel the same way you do about Nugent. I guess you could argue parts of The Final Cut aren't far off, but that's another story.

Animals is a blatant attack on capitalism.  Roger was getting warmed up with anti war and money corruption themes on Dark Side but Animals is an aggressively blatant attack.

Not sure if I understood your  comment?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    pjl44 said:
    mwplum said:
    shecky said:
    Personally, I don't give a damn what any "performer" thinks politically. I pay your salary (via record, concert ticket and swag purchases) to entertain me, to offer me respite from my daily stress. Nothing else, thank you.
    I’ve always found this to be such an ignorant take. Firstly, the “paying the salary argument is ridiculous”, but I take more issue with the “ignorance is bliss” part. Like someone else said, you’re going to an act where the art is inherently tied to politics. If you don’t get that, you’re missing the meaning of the lyrics.

I wouldn’t go to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent  show and tell them to tone it down...I just wouldn’t go.
    The trouble is that the songs/lyrics (like Animals or parts of The Wall) are pretty nuanced and elements of Roger's show can get pretty hamfisted. I don't agree with shecky's take but I get where it comes from.

If he had songs about Trump's dick, I'd probably feel the same way you do about Nugent. I guess you could argue parts of The Final Cut aren't far off, but that's another story.

Animals is a blatant attack on capitalism.  Roger was getting warmed up with anti war and money corruption themes on Dark Side but Animals is an aggressively blatant attack.

I don't think you did. With you 100% obviously on Animals - I'm saying it's nuanced since it's packaged in a metaphor. His stage show is....not.
  • shecky said:
    This is stupid.
    This is the problem with the world today - insulting someone who has a different point of view.  Your response is embarrassing. 
  • ‘Animals’ was literally written for this Presidency. Waters is a psychic.  
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    Not a radio hit but I would love to hear PJ cover this underrated gem from Obscured By Clouds. I think the vocal melody is right up Ed's alley and Mike would kill on the guitar solos. In the meantime I'm still waiting to hear Comfortably Numb in person at a PJ show.
  • PJNB said:
    "It's silly to waste your breath on Trump...".......let's go on tour in 2020 and make it all about Trump.   What a waste of good art.   Side note, I never need to hear Eddie do Comfortably Numb every again after being force fed it on PJ Radio and at shows for the past 3 years.     
    Hearing it in back to back shows in Krakow and Berlin was an odd choice for them imo but that Mike solo is fantastic enough that I did not mind it. I would love for them to play Mother a little more. 
    Loved it the first 10 times I heard it.   It's just one of those songs for me that gets old fast; kind of like Sirens did.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,538
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mwplum said:
    shecky said:

I don't think you did. With you 100% obviously on Animals - I'm saying it's nuanced since it's packaged in a metaphor. His stage show is....not.

Thanks for clarifying. I did not like that Roger  changed the meaning of "Whitehouse" from the original reference of the conservative activist Mary to Trump. Maybe Roger would argue the song is an attack on social conservatism. I e always thought it's an angry counterattack.

I agree much of Animals is nuanced but some lines scream social/ liberal justice:

"And after a while, you can work on points for style
    Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
    A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
    So that when they turn their backs on you
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mwplum said:
    shecky said:

Thanks for clarifying. I did not like that Roger  changed the meaning of "Whitehouse" from the original reference of the conservative activist Mary to Trump. Maybe Roger would argue the song is an attack on social conservatism. I e always thought it's an angry counterattack.

I agree much of Animals is nuanced but some lines scream social/ liberal justice:

"And after a while, you can work on points for style
    Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
    A certain look in the eye, and an easy smile

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
    So that when they turn their backs on you
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in."
    The weird thing is I think those lines (and the rest of Dogs) could easily be co-opted by Trump, Sanders, or any candidate taking a populist angle. There might be disagreement about who the dogs are, but that's where I think the nuance is. Now I'm sure Roger had something specific in mind, but still.