Roger Waters to tour in 2020 doing indoor arena dates during an election year

DrdealDrdeal Posts: 695
Will PJ follow suit? Time will tell.   New Rolling Stone Article discusses Roger's new "highly political" show.

Comments

• He also said some stuff about David Gilmour. Said they got together this summer. Apparently nothing positive, with relation to a Floyd reunion, materialized from the meeting.

Still would be awesome for GCF reunion similar to Live Aid.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,212
    Saw him in 2017.  Will pass on the next tour. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    I don't think I could get through a "no-holds-barred" version of this. Love that Roger is still putting on such elaborate shows and playing with cool people, but yeeeeeeeeeesh.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Roger Waters is a gangsta
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,539
    Follow suit lol. 

For better or worse Roger performed 400 times in the last decade.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    His 121212 performance with Ed was awesome but I've never had a real desire to see any more of him. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 544
    Saw him in 2017. Great show. Setlist was fantastic, as was his band. The political montage and stuff did get a bit old (for me anyway). Not that I don’t agree with it, but it’s like 10 or so minutes long. A bit much for my taste anyway. For the music - I’d highly recommend seeing him. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774
    Personally, I don't give a damn what any "performer" thinks politically. I pay your salary (via record, concert ticket and swag purchases) to entertain me, to offer me respite from my daily stress. Nothing else, thank you.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077

I hate Trump as much as anyone, but I go to concerts to get lost in the music & escape reality. I have no interest in going to any "highly political" concerts.

Pass.

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    shecky said:
    Personally, I don't give a damn what any "performer" thinks politically. I pay your salary (via record, concert ticket and swag purchases) to entertain me, to offer me respite from my daily stress. Nothing else, thank you.
    Last I checked performers are people (no need to use quotations) that have the same rights as you or I to say what they please. You don't like it, don't go. This entitled attitude about how you pay their salary....what a crock...you CHOOSE to buy these things, taxes you don't choose, so in no way are the performers beholden to entertain YOU, the promoter pays them and if you don't buy swag no one cares, plenty of smart people agree with their politics....go take a valium and that will reduce your stress. 
  • I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • shecky said:
    This is stupid.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    shecky said:
    This falls apart once you pay an artist whose politics are tied to their art. Or one who has made it quite clear they will be playing a political show.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • He also said some stuff about David Gilmour. Said they got together this summer. Apparently nothing positive, with relation to a Floyd reunion, materialized from the meeting.
    He also complained that Gilmour won't let him promote his Us And Them film on Pink Floyd's website. That's sad to hear. At this point, I think anything any of the three of them do is worthy of being promoted on official Floyd channels (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    I feel the same way. I liked his display during Pigs (the tiny Trump dick in particular) but I can see why people wouldn't. But even if you don't like it, you don't have to leave. I can't tell ya how many Eddie Vedder ramblings at PJ shows had my eyes rolling to the back of my head. But so what? Just wait him out and enjoy the next song. Same with Waters or anyone else. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • I happen to love when politics and music combine. Usually there is good reason to speak out
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    Dear Roger,

Please add "Fearless" to the 2020 setlist.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Dear Roger,

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Love the song and love the idea, but I don't think he's too keen on adding Gilmour-sung songs to the setlist unless they're hits that he feels obligated to play (Money, Wish You Were Here, etc.) 

Speaking of "Fearless" though, there's a couple songs from that era that are great and I can't believe neither Gilmour or Waters ever play them. "Childhood's End" and "Free Four" are two of my favorite Floyd songs. Yet they never touch them. And the themes of each song, especially as both Gilmour and Waters get up there in age, are pretty relevant. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    edited October 2019
    dankind said:
    Dear Roger,

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Love the song and love the idea, but I don't think he's too keen on adding Gilmour-sung songs to the setlist unless they're hits that he feels obligated to play (Money, Wish You Were Here, etc.) 

Speaking of "Fearless" though, there's a couple songs from that era that are great and I can't believe neither Gilmour or Waters ever play them. "Childhood's End" and "Free Four" are two of my favorite Floyd songs. Yet they never touch them. And the themes of each song, especially as both Gilmour and Waters get up there in age, are pretty relevant. 
    "Dogs" was a huge part of the Us+Them tour, and he did play "Fearless" during the Mexico City and Desert Trip shows. I'm keeping hope alive, man.

I got "Childhood's End" at the Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets show, and it was incredible. "Free Four" would certainly be a treat, and it could fit in with some of the themes mentioned in the RS article.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    shecky said:
    I’ve always found this to be such an ignorant take. Firstly, the “paying the salary argument is ridiculous”, but I take more issue with the “ignorance is bliss” part. Like someone else said, you’re going to an act where the art is inherently tied to politics. If you don’t get that, you’re missing the meaning of the lyrics.

I wouldn’t go to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent  show and tell them to tone it down...I just wouldn’t go.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Dear Roger,

Thanks,
    Daniel

"Dogs" was a huge part of the Us+Them tour, and he did play "Fearless" during the Mexico City and Desert Trip shows. I'm keeping hope alive, man.

I got "Childhood's End" at the Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets show, and it was incredible. "Free Four" would certainly be a treat, and it could fit in with some of the themes mentioned in the RS article.
    Wow I'm surprised that he played "Fearless." Did he have someone else singing it? I'd wager a guess that he did because he does that with "Dogs" when I saw him live in 2000 and 2017.  Either way, pretty cool. 

As for Nick Mason, I'm happy he's doing that show. He's always seemed to be the most passionate member of the band, yet he's always had to wait and see what Gilmour or Waters wanted to do. Nice to see him just go out on his own and not worry about any sort of Floyd reunion. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • "It's silly to waste your breath on Trump...".......let's go on tour in 2020 and make it all about Trump.   What a waste of good art.   Side note, I never need to hear Eddie do Comfortably Numb every again after being force fed it on PJ Radio and at shows for the past 3 years.     
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    "It's silly to waste your breath on Trump...".......let's go on tour in 2020 and make it all about Trump.   What a waste of good art.   Side note, I never need to hear Eddie do Comfortably Numb every again after being force fed it on PJ Radio and at shows for the past 3 years.     
    Hearing it in back to back shows in Krakow and Berlin was an odd choice for them imo but that Mike solo is fantastic enough that I did not mind it. I would love for them to play Mother a little more. 
  • PJNB said:
    "It's silly to waste your breath on Trump...".......let's go on tour in 2020 and make it all about Trump.   What a waste of good art.   Side note, I never need to hear Eddie do Comfortably Numb every again after being force fed it on PJ Radio and at shows for the past 3 years.     
    Hearing it in back to back shows in Krakow and Berlin was an odd choice for them imo but that Mike solo is fantastic enough that I did not mind it. I would love for them to play Mother a little more. 
    I think it was almost mindblowingly good in Krakow. And I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan. 

https://youtu.be/02CmgQr4Cas
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    I feel the same way. I liked his display during Pigs (the tiny Trump dick in particular) but I can see why people wouldn't. But even if you don't like it, you don't have to leave. I can't tell ya how many Eddie Vedder ramblings at PJ shows had my eyes rolling to the back of my head. But so what? Just wait him out and enjoy the next song. Same with Waters or anyone else. 
    Pigs was just fantastic.  The whole center of the floor being a video was unique  I love every Waters show I attend and I would love to see him again.  I usually see him in DC which brings out an extra dose of cynicism.  
    I think the cover of Mother is much better.  I don't think they've played that much at all since the 13 tour.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    I loved the display during Pigs in 17. Thought it was awesome. Some people didn't and left. That's their prerogative. 
    Pigs was just fantastic.  The whole center of the floor being a video was unique  I love every Waters show I attend and I would love to see him again.  I usually see him in DC which brings out an extra dose of cynicism.  
    Hey we might have been at the same show. I was at the 2017 show in D.C. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hey we might have been at the same show. I was at the 2017 show in D.C. 
    Yep!  I think it was night 2.  I ended up recording the whole thing and have audio.  There's another set of film out there as well.  One day I might make into a multicam bluray.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    edited October 2019
    mwplum said:
    shecky said:
    I’ve always found this to be such an ignorant take. Firstly, the “paying the salary argument is ridiculous”, but I take more issue with the “ignorance is bliss” part. Like someone else said, you’re going to an act where the art is inherently tied to politics. If you don’t get that, you’re missing the meaning of the lyrics.

I wouldn’t go to a Kid Rock or Ted Nugent  show and tell them to tone it down...I just wouldn’t go.
    The trouble is that the songs/lyrics (like Animals or parts of The Wall) are pretty nuanced and elements of Roger's show can get pretty hamfisted. I don't agree with shecky's take but I get where it comes from.

If he had songs about Trump's dick, I'd probably feel the same way you do about Nugent. I guess you could argue parts of The Final Cut aren't far off, but that's another story.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the cover of Mother is much better.  I don't think they've played that much at all since the 13 tour.  
    Mother is such a boring song though.  Great to hear once, but after that it is dull.  Great solo.