Options

Spirit Airlines

Anyone ever fly them? What was your experience like? Tips, tricks, recommendations? I’m trying to fly as inexpensively as possible but, having only flown 4 times in my life, I’m also leery of “discount” airlines.

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    I flew Spirit once round trip from L.A. to Vegas.   For the return flight, they changed the departure time twice.

If you do opt for Spirit, pay close attention to their baggage fees....they charge for carry-on.  Also, make sure you pay for any options in advance because they really gouge you if you pay for said options at the gate.
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    I’ve flown on Spirit a handful of times. Definitely no frills. And very snug seating, which is difficult on longer flights. Be careful of prices to check and carry-on baggage. I’ve never had a cancellation or major delay.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I'd rather fly in the luggage compartment.

Seriously, I would avoid.  They suck.  Frontier is a decent budget one, Spirit is unbearable.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I wouldn't fly any discount airline, ever. I don't trust them at all. I know too many people who have been so fucked over because they went for cheap instead of reliable. If the flight doesn't get cancelled, then there is always the possibility that the whole damned company goes bankrupt and you lose your flight anyhow, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Southwest is the best of the discount airlines.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I fly more than most and believe the delays and related bullshit happen on most airlines.  The issue with Spirit is that they build their planes and deal all around being the cheapest possible....and that is rarely a good thing. 
    I don't care for SWA, but have flown it lots and it treats you just as well (if not better ) than the big boys.  Don't care for their seating policies and old planes but they do treat you well.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Here is my comment:  It is a budget airline.  They charge cheap fairs and if you can get around all the hidden fees for carry ons or checked bags, then you can get a real cheap flight.   You get what you pay for.  There is no mystery in this decision.   As with everything, the less you pay the less you generally can hope to expect. 

If you are flying in and out for a quick concert then I wouldn't risk Spirit.  If money is an issue though and your travels can handle a 5 hour delay then Spirit might be for you.  Don't expect TV, maybe wifi or a seat that reclines. 

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    a friend paid more for her bag than the quoted fare.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    I flew it to Vegas once as part of a bachelor party. Seats were really tight but everything else was fairly smooth as I remember. Flew a standard airline home. Wasn’t chancing that shit on a Vegas hangover.

I didn’t have a bad experience but have heard some horror stories 
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Heres my take on Spirit as someone who has flown several times with them. I would avoid them if the flight is non-direct, or of you need to be somewhere at a specific time. I’ve had two bad experiences with Spirit on non direct flights. I won’t booked a non-direct with them, and gladly pay the extra money for a direct flight on a different airline.

Now, if it’s a direct flight and you don’t need to be somewhere at certain time, I’d be okay with flying them. 

• Options
    yeah....who cares about getting somewhere when you’re supposed to?!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    edited October 2019
    I'd rather take a greyhound bus than ever fly Spirit again.  Absolute trash.  I'm 6'2 and felt like I was 8 feet tall sitting in those seats.  And don't believe whatever price they quote on their website...so many extra fees.  I'm shocked they don't charge people to take a piss.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Just no. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    Spirit? Fuck 'em.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I had the worst flying experience ever on Spirit. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Absolutely.
    Only issue with Southwest is the open seating thing which is only an issue when flying with the wife and kid and making sure you get 3 seats together. But other than that they are the way to go. And still not charging for checked bags (up to 2 per person).

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    spirit is garbage.  where are you flying from/to?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Thanks guys.  That's about what I was afraid of.  I did notice the fees are more than the airfare itself. It was still coming out cheaper than other airlines, but not enough to warrant all the bad mojo.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    BWI or Dulles to Minneapolis.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Check Southwest, use the low fare calendar on their website. Not sure when you are going, but looks like you can do BWI to MSP for less than $200 round trip most dates in November for example, and no added fees with Southwest.

https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/?int=HOME-BOOKING-WIDGET-LFC
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Check Southwest, use the low fare calendar on their website. Not sure when you are going, but looks like you can do BWI to MSP for less than $200 round trip most dates in November for example, and no added fees with Southwest.

https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/?int=HOME-BOOKING-WIDGET-LFC
    They seem to have the best deal.  Just a quick 2 day trip for a show and I've flown with them before so I know what to expect.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    We’ve flown Spirit a few times. Like others have said, it’s not god awful if the flight is direct and under 2.5 hours. Anything longer than that it feels very cramped.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited October 2019
    A pilot I know who flies for WestJet told me that only the shittiest pilots with less training and dodgy employment records work for these super discount airlines because they are the only pilots desperate enough to work for them. Another good reason to not fly with these kinds of companies!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Absolutely.
    Only issue with Southwest is the open seating thing which is only an issue when flying with the wife and kid and making sure you get 3 seats together. But other than that they are the way to go. And still not charging for checked bags (up to 2 per person).

I agree the open seating can be tricky but if you check-in online right when you are allowed to, you usually get a good boarding position which translates into better seats.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Absolutely.

I agree the open seating can be tricky but if you check-in online right when you are allowed to, you usually get a good boarding position which translates into better seats.

Can't you also pay a piddly amount, like $10, to automatically get in the first boarding group?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Absolutely.

Can't you also pay a piddly amount, like $10, to automatically get in the first boarding group?
    Its more than 10 bucks, its between 30 and 50 depending on the flight, but yeas you can upgrade into the first group for a small fee.
    Usually have no problem, make sure to check in as soon as possible (24 hours before flight) and get either late in the A group or early in the B group.
    Had one problem once when we got to gate when they were almost done boarding because the numbskulls at the check in lines were trying to rebook folks whose flight to Chicago got cancelled and everyone in line stood motionless for an hour before someone spoke up and they set the Chicago passengers aside and went back to regular business. My kid was still pretty young (9 or 10) and there were only scattered single seats left, but a gentleman moved so my wife & son could sit together and I sat separately which was fine,
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Absolutely.

, but a gentleman moved so my wife & son could sit together and I sat separately which was fine,

maybe the BEST option!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Anybody use frontier before?   I see some pretty low fares out of Trenton but am hesitant to use them.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Frontier is not bad for direct
      Flew them from Trenton to Cincy for PJ show and they were fine.  For sure it is low rent, but normal seats and cheap as can be.
    Trenton airport is a joke, is funny to fly from there.