Options

Bob Dylan Live

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
I see that Dylan will be playing near me soon and I've never seen him live.  I can't say I am a big fan but I have always respected what he's done.  I saw a documentary of his beginnings and was kind of impressed.

I checked out some recent live footage on YouTube and was absolutely shocked at how awful it was.  Then I read some reviews where people that are fans seem to understand that Dylan will do what he wants and sometimes you get a real show and sometimes you get a show where he is basically unintelligible and reworks his popular songs to the point that they are unrecognizable.

Has anyone seen him live?  What was your opinion?
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited September 2019
    First time I saw him in 2004 I was like "what is this..?"

Second time I saw him in 2011 I was like "this is so bad! Why did I go a second time! (at least Mark Knopfler opened)"

Third time I saw him in 2019 I "got it" and it was PURE BLISS.

I say go for it.

https://youtu.be/Ip01n-M7N_M

And -- whatever you do, do not listen to @JPPJ84
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I see that Dylan will be playing near me soon and I've never seen him live.  I can't say I am a big fan but I have always respected what he's done.  I saw a documentary of his beginnings and was kind of impressed.

I checked out some recent live footage on YouTube and was absolutely shocked at how awful it was.  Then I read some reviews where people that are fans seem to understand that Dylan will do what he wants and sometimes you get a real show and sometimes you get a show where he is basically unintelligible and reworks his popular songs to the point that they are unrecognizable.

Has anyone seen him live?  What was your opinion?
    I've seen Dylan a few times, and he's hit or miss. He usually has great opening acts, though, so if it's a miss, you still get your money's worth. And his band is top notch, too.

One thing I've read about his recent shows is that he's revisiting how his songs came together and sounded in the studio. I haven't seen him since the minor league ballpark shows about five or six years ago (middle-of-the-road), but I don't think I've ever seen him play a studio version of any of his songs live. I remember seeing him in 2005 and not realizing that he played "Mr. Tambourine Man" until I looked at the setlist the next day. If this kind of thing bothers you, maybe skip it. I'm a big proponent of deconstruralism myself, so I've always appreciated it. That 2005 gig was a rough one overall, though. And Merle Haggard's opening set was so damn lit that Dylan just seemed like a corpse after that. There's some sad irony there, I suppose.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

Second time I saw him in 2011 I was like "this is so bad! Why did I go a second time! (at least Mark Knopfler opened)"

I say go for it.

Interesting...I'm afraid I would regret it since I've never been a big fan.  The live stuff I heard almost sounded like someone who was trying to sound like shit.  Not the band, just vocally.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440

I say go for it.

Interesting...I'm afraid I would regret it since I've never been a big fan.  The live stuff I heard almost sounded like someone who was trying to sound like shit.  Not the band, just vocally.
    Well well well, if the Swede tells you not to listen to me, maybe listen to my parents who have loved Bob Dylan all their lives. I gave them the tickets for their birthdays. What can I say, we hated it. It was terrible. The songs were unrecognizable, his voice is shot, zero atmosphere in the arena. We were in utter disbelief and fled, alongside a whole lot of other people, before the encore (it’s still amazing to me there were people who wanted one).
    save the 100 quid on something worthwhile 
  • Options
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Maybe wait until the opening act is announced and make your decision then. It ain't exactly a hot ticket. Dude's been on the road for 30 damn years.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    We didn’t even have an opening act
  • Options
    No opening act in the European tour like Bob-Dylan-Hater @JPPJ84 said.

It was still lovely.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

• Options
    Now imagine 90 minutes of that... We didn’t know whether to laugh or cry
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    That’s a shame. I like Dylans music so I’m going to pretend I never heard that. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    It's almost like he has either completely lost it or he is so arrogant that he shits on the audience and revels in taking their money for the privilege.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    It's almost like he has either completely lost it or he is so arrogant that he shits on the audience and revels in taking their money for the privilege.
    Good point. Not sure which one it is, but something isn’t right.  I’ll just keep listening to the originals and will pass on seeing him live. I’d leave very early in a show rather than listening to that. 
  • Options
    A lot of the reviews I saw were on Facebook.  There are ads popping up for tickets for his performance at Ball State.  I was reading comments on those posts from people saying how bad their experiences were.  

• Options
    A lot of the reviews I saw were on Facebook.  There are ads popping up for tickets for his performance at Ball State.  I was reading comments on those posts from people saying how bad their experiences were.  

See it as a nice loungebland playing for 1h45m with someone just freestyling on top of it. 

What are the ticket prices for a Dylan show in the US?
  • Options
    They are about $60....and it is almost sold out at Ball State.  The show at IU still has 200-300 tix left but they are mostly balcony

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited September 2019
    They are about $60....and it is almost sold out at Ball State.  The show at IU still has 200-300 tix left but they are mostly balcony
    Think I paid 90 here. 

Well, I don't think you should miss out if you haven't seen him before. When he steps away from the piano the short dude is pretty damn charming, and the singing sounds better. And then you don't have to go see him again if you think it's so bad.

You can't even get the soundtrack to the swedish movie A Swedish love story for 60 bucks.

https://youtu.be/8Kz95HqPGTM

(You should watch this movie @PJ_Soul - it's the debut from famed swedish director Roy Andersson. The youtube link above is subtitled)

Just jump into it. It's Bob Dylan! He's playing Things Has Changed and that one sounds pretty good. And Can't Wait like I posted above.

Do it. If you regret it afterwards - i give you a $10 gift certificate in the 10c shop.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    On a positive Dylan note, I watched Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix and it was outstanding. Great live performances. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    On a positive Dylan note, I watched Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix and it was outstanding. Great live performances. 
    Agreed... That's part of why I am so surprised. 

• Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed... That's part of why I am so surprised. 
    That was 1975.
    And I love Dylan, but I’m afraid to see him again because of how bad everyone says he sounds. I’ll just take my 5/6 shows that I’ve been to and cherish them as precious jewels.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    My take is, go for it.  But don't go with any expectations beyond knowing that you will be seeing a living legend.  Honor that, and hope you get in on one of the better shows.    I've only seen Dylan once and it was when he was touring with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backing band.  It probably doesn't get any better than that these days but remember, the man is 78 years old!

And this leads me to the point where I need to vent a bit here.  I've read too many posts on these forums about people bitching about "what a shitty show Bob put on".   I heard the same weak whining from people who saw B. B. King is his last years and didn't get the stellar show they expected.   That kind of attitude at seeing an elderly performer is childish at best.  Who here will be able to perform the work they did in their 20's through 50's or 60's as well when they are 78?  I can't.  I can't do one damn thing as well as I could in my prime and I'm 10 years younger than Bob Dylan. 

In the mid 80's I saw Dizzy Gillespie play at a jazz festival in Berkeley.  Dizzy was old and getting a bit frail and no way did he blow that horn like he did with Bird in the 50's but, man, what a thrill to see that great legend play!  And the crowd showed due respect, big time. 

I missed seeing one of the greatest American music legends ever by just a few weeks because I'd waited too long.  Duke Ellington.  By the time I got tickets for a show it was too late.  That show was cancelled due to Ellington being sick and he died two weeks later.  If I had gone a little earlier and he had played only a fraction as well as he did in his prime I would not have cared one tiny bit.  I would have gotten to see the great Duke Ellington. 

So go, have a great time and be thankful you had the chance!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    My take is, go for it.  But don't go with any expectations beyond knowing that you will be seeing a living legend.  Honor that, and hope you get in on one of the better shows.    I've only seen Dylan once and it was when he was touring with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backing band.  It probably doesn't get any better than that these days but remember, the man is 78 years old!

And this leads me to the point where I need to vent a bit here.  I've read too many posts on these forums about people bitching about "what a shitty show Bob put on".   I heard the same weak whining from people who saw B. B. King is his last years and didn't get the stellar show they expected.   That kind of attitude at seeing an elderly performer is childish at best.  Who here will be able to perform the work they did in their 20's through 50's or 60's as well when they are 78?  I can't.  I can't do one damn thing as well as I could in my prime and I'm 10 years younger than Bob Dylan. 

In the mid 80's I saw Dizzy Gillespie play at a jazz festival in Berkeley.  Dizzy was old and getting a bit frail and no way did he blow that horn like he did with Bird in the 50's but, man, what a thrill to see that great legend play!  And the crowd showed due respect, big time. 

I missed seeing one of the greatest American music legends ever by just a few weeks because I'd waited too long.  Duke Ellington.  By the time I got tickets for a show it was too late.  That show was cancelled due to Ellington being sick and he died two weeks later.  If I had gone a little earlier and he had played only a fraction as well as he did in his prime I would not have cared one tiny bit.  I would have gotten to see the great Duke Ellington. 

Please forgive my childish bitching. I recognize the man is 78 and what consequences that might bring.
    But! If a performer puts himself out there and charges a whole lot of money he’s got to live with different opinions. I think different opinions are valid and that I as a consumer have the right to say that to me, his performance sucked. In the end I think Bob can handle the criticism. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I'm sorry for being childish.  I just saw Robert Plant and Willie Nelson....they both acted like they gave a shit.  Bob Dylan is capable of sounding like a human being.  He is capable of making noises with his mouth that don't sound like someone is constantly cutting one of his toes off.

Oh....I just saw the Who this summer as well.  They kicked ass.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I'm sorry for being childish.  I just saw Robert Plant and Willie Nelson....they both acted like they gave a shit.  Bob Dylan is capable of sounding like a human being.  He is capable of making noises with his mouth that don't sound like someone is constantly cutting one of his toes off.

His voice is wrecked. You want him to lipsync like Paul Stanley instead?

Just go! See a legend! Enjoy his charm and his lounge band.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I think I would retain respect for him by not going.

And like I said...based on reviews that I have seen, the performance you get is based on Dylan's mood that day.  You might get a decent show and you might get a show where he doesn't give a shit like in the video I posted.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:

Please forgive my childish bitching. I recognize the man is 78 and what consequences that might bring.
    But! If a performer puts himself out there and charges a whole lot of money he’s got to live with different opinions. I think different opinions are valid and that I as a consumer have the right to say that to me, his performance sucked. In the end I think Bob can handle the criticism. 
    You absolutely have the right to say that.  I wasn't criticizing anyone in particular here.  But I stand by my comments.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Ditto here, Gern. I respect your right to your opinion.   I wasn't criticizing anyone in particular here.  But I definitely stand by my comments.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    You should go because:

a) Your expectation is so shockingly low that even if he puts on half-decent performance you'll be impressed.
    b) You've never seen Dylan.
    c) It's Dylan.

(I saw him over the summer and it was better than I thought it would be.)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I took my Mom and Dad ten years ago and we all had fun.
    It wasn't the best sounding show, his voice was a dull hand saw working through a piece of knotty oak, but the band was tight and his harmonica work was surprisingly good compared to his studio recordings. 

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,388

100% go for it.  Sounds like i'm in the minority, but I saw him 3 times this year and I thought he was brilliant.

Sure, his voice has taken a beating over the years. But this year he's sounding better than he has in a while. Singing the old standards by Sinatra and co. has really helped his vocals. A song like Scarlet Town, from Tempest, is sounding lovely this year. Dylan's vocals are warm and clear.

He's had some very rough years, but 2019 has been a great year for him and I'd go and see him again without hesitation.

2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II