Full album played in a row at shows: yes or no

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
Just wanted to see everyone's opinion on this.  I see a lot of bands lately playing full albums at shows.  Would you like to see vs. played in a row or are you looking for more variety?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Full album played in a row at shows: yes or no 85 votes

Yes, full album shows rock.
69%
darwinstheoryNewJPageLowlightDeadmanski-bumbootlegger10austinevolution10Drdealjosevolutionadam42381mfc2006Clonehrd2imgnpjsteelerfanjefftIndifference71BrainofBGATQ8541Tim SimmonsBox Hopkins 59 votes
No, full album shows are not a good idea.
30%
mookeywrenchmcgruff10Get_Rightjdopjon2legsSpiritual_ChaosiOnlyownMyminddannyLukinFanJimmyVincidental immortalityPB11041ST66483mrk2Kearn5yAbe FromanBLACK35mayerdjeff2040brianlux 26 votes

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I like how they were doing them sporadically, and only 1 per album.  I think it would be cool to see once, but I don't think I'd want to seem them tour on a full album.   While it would be cool to see them in a row, I've seen most of the first 5 albums in their entirety live (aside from those creative filler tracks, and who you are).   No Code front to back would be worth it just for Who You Are :) 

I think we need more detailed options.

1)  Yes. One off shows only.

2)  Tour an album

3) No
  • Yes, full album shows rock.
    I'm fine with it. I wouldn't want one every show though. I'd rather see more deeper cuts pulled out more often. This applies to basically any band BTW, not just PJ. 

Like Radiohead playing Kid A in full would be awesome. But if they did the 20th anniversary of it by playing it in full at 50 shows, it would be disappointing. But if they pulled out deep cuts from the Bends of HTTT (which they never play) or whatever, I'd be more excited for that.

• KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    I’d love it only if it were a surprise and not backspacer or Lightning Bolt. No Code or Yield are the two I’d want but I’d take riot act too because the chance of hearing so many of those songs live are so slim.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    I was there for the Ten full album show.  It was cool and I’m glad I could check that box but I wouldn’t want it to be a regular thing.  I like the spontaneous nature of the shows.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    They rocked at Moline and Milwaukee, but I think concert flow suffers, and I would prefer it be a special occasion, you know like a new album is these days
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Generally no unless it's a special event like Dinosaur Jr has done a few times for album anniversaries.  And then they should be filmed in Dino's Bug was!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    It would still be fun because every Pearl Jam show is, but hearing a full album played isn't something I'm hoping to experience.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Depends on the album. I'm not interested in seeing any of the post-nineties ones in full ...well, maybe Riot Act (I was at the Binaural show).
    edited September 2019
    There are so many great songs I've yet to witness off No Code so that'd be my first pick. Getting all of Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, and Yield would be more to "complete" these great albums.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
     they play a long set so you still get other songs.
    Read somewhere that Mike wanted to do that. A diff album every show. 

• No, full album shows are not a good idea.
    Loujoe said:

zzzz
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Only been to one of these but it was rocking!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I’ve been lucky enough to catch two of them and enjoyed them immensely (No Code and Binaural- my two favourite albums). That said they do tend to take away from the show for the more casual fan, which to me brings some of the energy down in the building.  Short of the Ten or Vs show, many casual fans could tune out for portions of an entire Riot ACT or Avocado show. 
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Fun when they are a random surprise, not when they are planned and known ahead of time
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Fun when they are a random surprise, not when they are planned and known ahead of time
    Bingo
    Loujoe said:

Positive: Helps crazy song hunters like myself. 
    Negative: Lacks the element of surprise that's essential to a PJ set.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Being able to be in Philly and hear Ten in whole was fucking amazing....and hearing/seeing The Joshua Tree in full more than once was great....that said I have heard Bruce to the whole BTR album too many times but I've also seen Greetings in full which is rare. Sooooooooo..if its a rare thing and you are there it's great
    I think they should keep doing it but like they have been.  Once or twice a tour at most.  I saw them do No Code, Yield and Vs.  Vs. was just amazing as almost all of those songs are crowd favorites.  I imagine that is how Ten must have been but even more energy.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Yes.  I was lucky enough to be at both Moline and Milwaukee and it was awesome.  I really like the way PJ does it where it's completely random and you don't know it's coming.  It would be kinda lame if they did one of these full album tours that a lot of older bands seem to be doing these days....the guessing game about what's coming next is one of the best parts about a PJ show.
    Greenville was amazing and I wouldn’t mind repeating that night. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i've said it before, i'll say it again. in 2014, i had the unfortunate experience of catching one show. and it was st paul, which was sandwiched in between two full album shows. no code and yield to fucking boot. BLAARRGH. 

headstones did a 25th anniversary tour of their first album. played it in full, every show. many of those tunes will never be played live again. saw it 3 times. loved it every time. even when i knew it was happening. 

i love the spontaneity of pj shows, however, but as someone else put it, if it's a surprise, i'd be down for it. especially with pj, since they play so many other songs in the show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    This. Not a tour where they play all of “Ten” every night. 
    edited September 2019
    I know the thread title says "in a row" but would opinions change if the songs were scattered throughout the set or separated by other tunes?

For example (Vs show)...
    1. Go
    2. Do the Evolution
    3. Hail Hail
    4. Animal 
    5. Corduroy 
    6. Immortality
    7. Daughter
    8. Glorified G
    9. Given To Fly
    10. Dissident ...
    28. Leash
    29. Alive
    30. Indifference 
  • Only if its riot act
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
     I would be good with hearing the new album in full at the first show I attend next year.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm voting yes because I do like them.  But I like how Pearl Jam does them randomly, so far only once per album, and they haven't hit all the albums yet.  If they did an entire tour with the same album thrown in as part of the setlist, that would be boring from a PJ standpoint.  But other bands I'm ok with doing that since they generally play the same setlist every night and thus only have the desire to see them once per tour.
    I voted yes on the fact that I’ve never experienced a full album from any band including PJ so I’d be fine to experience once but that’s about it ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....