Options

How Great Was Bridge School 1999 Featuring Pearl Jam, The Who, Neil Young, etc. 20th Anniversary!?!

2»

Comments

• Options
    shecky said:
    1999 looks like a great lineup! 2014 stands out in my memory as possibly the best ever, though; Neil Young, Pegi Young and her band, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, Tom Jones, Florence + The Machine, Norah Jones and Puss N Boots and Band of Horses. Oh yeah, plus Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and the highly anticipated reunion of Temple of The Dog! The excitement in the air was palpable and when the members all finally began assembling on stage the roof about blew off the place! (even though it was an outdoor amphitheatre and there was no roof...) Remember, this was two years before the 2016 reunion tour so it was very fresh and magical. People really went ape.
    I was there both days that year. Exceptional lineup. Another great one (for me, at least) was 2011 - Eddie, Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Beck, Carlos Santana, Mumford & Sons, Dave Matthews, Norah Jones, Neil, etc. Just about any of those bands have been the headliner at other fests, yet they were all on the same bill that weekend. Incredible.

Still breaks my heart to know that between Neil/Pegi's divorce and Pegi's subsequent death, this benefit will probably never happen again. It was such a unique way to see these artists perform -- all acoustic and with the kids on stage -- and nothing can really replicate or replace it.

I have so many favorite performances from BSB, but one that stands out is Trent Reznor in 2006. If I remember correctly, he said something about not even knowing he was supposed to perform acoustically until a week before the show. Got together a string quartet, performed a handful of NIN songs and it was absolutely beautiful. Still feel so privileged to have been able to witness that.
    ( remember the look & body language of Regine Chassagne(Arcade Fire) when she came out to duet w/Eddie 2011 BSB, "Tonight You Belong To Me" ?- like "girls-look at who I'm gettin' to do this with" cute, sheepish, shy - look? Thanks for the memories!)