Options

What is Your Favorite 90's Western Film?

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Tombstone (1993)
    "I'll be your huckleberry."
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Dances With Wolves (1990)
    I loved Tombstone but their fake mustaches were really bad.  And that scene with Sam Elliot saying "I've still got one good arm to hold you with".....barf
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Yes Curly Bill was awesome and Bill Paxton was good too!
    I don't just think that Kurt Russell gave a bad performance, he also just wasn't right for the role.  He nailed Snake Plisken but he just doesn't have a cowboy look or feel to him.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Other
    dankind said:
    Sam Elliot

Omg I haven’t seen that stuff in years!! Loved it as a kid.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Other
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    I am gobsmacked that there are people in the world who think that Kevin Costner (who couldn't play a corpse in The Big Chill) is better than Kurt Russell (Snake Plissken, for fuck's sake!!! SNAKE PLISSKEN!!!).

I'll just stand here and bleed.
    I think it's a pretty universal opinion that Kevin Kostner is a more skilled actor lol
    I love me some Kurt Russell, but he doesn't do depth or subtlety at all.
    I’ve seen exactly one film that Costner was surprisingly good in: Molly’s Game

He must’ve taken some acting classes in his downtime. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Other
    rgambs said:
    Honorable mention to comedy greats, City Slickers, Maverick, and Lightning Jack.
    Maverick is one of my favorite movies   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Young Guns 2 (1990)
    CROJAM95 said:
    I know young guns 2 isn’t the best but man I watched the shit out of it as a kid
    I agree. I have seen this more than all the others combined. Great movies on there. Yes, Maverick!!! An all time classic. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Young Guns 2 (1990)
    Tombstone is a classic. But I totally agree about K Russell. He was the worst part of an otherwise great movie. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    edited September 2019
    Tombstone (1993)
    Only ever saw Wyatt Earp once and remember being bored. I could watch Tombstone every time it’s on TV. I though Russel did a good job, but Kilmer’s Doc is the best character. That movie is also supposed to be the most accurate portrayal of the OK Corral too. The best part is watching Lowell from Wings start the shootout. 
    The Quick and the Dead is possibly one of the worst movies of the 90s of any genre. 

Maverick was a great one, love the Lethal Weapon reference in that movie. Would put that in my top 3 90s westerns.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Quick and the dead was funny, I thought.  Nothing serious as a movie but enjoyable.
    Recall not liking Maverick this only time I watched.  Should try to watch again....if I can stomach the anti Semite and his only Hollywood supporter 

Nah, fuck then both.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Tombstone (1993)
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    I am gobsmacked that there are people in the world who think that Kevin Costner (who couldn't play a corpse in The Big Chill) is better than Kurt Russell (Snake Plissken, for fuck's sake!!! SNAKE PLISSKEN!!!).

I'll just stand here and bleed.
    I think it's a pretty universal opinion that Kevin Kostner is a more skilled actor lol
    I love me some Kurt Russell, but he doesn't do depth or subtlety at all.
    How about Powers Boothe?.  He was fantastic at that role of Curly Bill.
    Yes! He was indeed. Honestly, when I thought about it, everyone nailed their roles, except Russell. A little too over the top as Earp, but shit, Kilmer, Paxton, Elliot, Boothe and Biehn were great. One of the best casts ever assembled IMHO. Just looked at the full cast list, holy shit, what a troupe of actors I didn't even remember were in it. Even Frank Stallone had a small role :lol:
    Charlton Heston is in it, Jason Priestly, Billy Bob Thornton as "JOHNNY TYLER!  Mad cat.  Where you goin with that shotgun Johnny?", Thomas Haden Church from Wings, Dana Delany, Jon Corbett from everything, and my favorite Billy Zane!
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    Tombstone (1993)
    Tombstone!  Val Kilmer steals the movie.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    3:10 to Yuma remake was really good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The one thing I think we can agree on is that the 90's were not a good decade for the western film genre ..

Unforgiven:  A great film, but not a film that has great re-watch-ability due to the slow burn of the plot.

Tombstone: Very fun movie, great charterers and action, and amazing re-watch-ability.  Kind of an ode to westerns and 80's action movies mainly because they replaced the six-shooters with twenty-shooters in the gun fights

The Quick and the Dead:  I loved this movie but it has one glaring problem ... Sharon Stone.  With good casting in that role this could have been an even bigger cult favorite.

Every other western from the 90's doesn't even really warrant any comment
  • Options
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Gene Hackman was awesome and Crowe was really good in QandD, but yeah, Stone was terrible.
    It's just a fun movie because it's centered on that most romantic aspect of western mythology, the High Noon quick-draw shootout.
  • Options
    Tombstone (1993)
    rgambs said:
    Gene Hackman was awesome and Crowe was really good in QandD, but yeah, Stone was terrible.
    It's just a fun movie because it's centered on that most romantic aspect of western mythology, the High Noon quick-draw shootout.
    I never liked this.  I am really surprised that so many people did?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Tombstone (1993)
    Quick and the Dead was ok. Entertaining enough at least with a good supporting cast.

All time is still the Man with No Name trilogy and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. I don't even know how many times I have watched the Man with No Name movies, so good.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Unforgiven is amazing. I can watch it over and over.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Unforgiven (1992)
    The last 10 or so minutes of Unforgiven are about as good as westerns get.  Agree totally that it was a slow (but great) burn to get to when William H Munny finally took a drink again.
  • Options
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Appaloosa was pretty good, Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson as a pair of infamous gunslingers turned lawmen.  The Shelton Brothers come into town hired to take them out and there's a great conversation, wherein Viggo asks Ed if they are as good as their reputation and he confirms they are.
    I don't remember exact quotes, except he asks if Tex is as good as Virgil (Ed Harris) and Virgil says, "don't know that they ain't" with an awesome delivery.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Legends of the Falls is a close second. 
  • Options
    I may need to fire up some Red Dead Redemption tonight
  • Options
    Young Guns 2 (1990)
    Quick and the dead was funny, I thought.  Nothing serious as a movie but enjoyable.
    Recall not liking Maverick this only time I watched.  Should try to watch again....if I can stomach the anti Semite and his only Hollywood supporter 

Nah, fuck then both.
    I was going to say the same thing about Mel Gibson, but Maverick is a hilarious fun movie. But yes. Fuck Mel Gibson. 

Side note: the best thing Mel Gibson ever made was those drunken voicemails he left his ex wife. The guy is sick. 
  • Options
    Speaking of Mel Gibson ... I was checking out his IMDB and he is currently directing a remake of The Wild Bunch.  Very timely 
  • Options
    ^ rumored to have cast Michael Fassbender, Jamie Foxx, and Tyrion Lannister so far ...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    Other
    Dead Man (closely followed by The Jack Bull)

I love the Iggy Pop/Billy Bob Thornton scene

https://youtu.be/pKVVkiMIkM0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Tombstone (1993)
    tbergs said:
    Quick and the Dead was ok. Entertaining enough at least with a good supporting cast.

All time is still the Man with No Name trilogy and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. I don't even know how many times I have watched the Man with No Name movies, so good.
    I like the No Name trilogy too. Just wish they made them proper, that dubbing is as bad as those classic Chinese martial arts movies.
  • Options
    Unforgiven (1992)

Nah, fuck then both.
    I was going to say the same thing about Mel Gibson, but Maverick is a hilarious fun movie. But yes. Fuck Mel Gibson. 

Side note: the best thing Mel Gibson ever made was those drunken voicemails he left his ex wife. The guy is sick. 
    Kinda shocked there were not responses sticking up for the Anti-Semite and his lone Hollywood supporter.  (There is at least one person here who sticks up for everyone tarnished by shitty actions)  
    Fuck Gibson, and Jodie as well for standing by him.  He made it abundantly clear what type of hateful pile of crap he is.  (He made some great movies, but I didn't log Maverick as one of them.)
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Tombstone (1993)
    Was about to vote for Unforgiven, when I re-read what the poll was asking of me. My favorite is Tombstone; the best is Unforgiven
  • Options
    Tombstone (1993)

Nah, fuck then both.

Kinda shocked there were not responses sticking up for the Anti-Semite and his lone Hollywood supporter.  (There is at least one person here who sticks up for everyone tarnished by shitty actions)  
    Fuck Gibson, and Jodie as well for standing by him.  He made it abundantly clear what type of hateful pile of crap he is.  (He made some great movies, but I didn't log Maverick as one of them.)
    I try and not get too angry about things because then I won't be able to like anything so I still like Maverick.  Funny movie.  The actors in it hold no weight in my life.