2»

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    jjflash said:
    benjs said:
    jjflash said:
    benjs said:
    Anyone else love this guy? Seeing him for my first time in October and December. He's replaced Pearl Jam for me.
    Count me as a huge fan. Seen him 9x so far, and, up next, hoping to catch one of the Huntsville shows at the end of the summer. IMO, he's like the Grateful Dead and other bands in that his studio efforts, while realllly good, are transcended by live shows. Where are you seeing him in Oct & Dec?
    Amazing!! Grand Rapids, MI on Halloween, Syracuse, NY December 16th. Beyond excited. I've become flat-picking obsessed. Nothing's made me pick up my guitar as often in years.
    Nice! I've been fortunate to see his Halloween shows the past couple of years in Asheville. If history is any indication then you're in for quite a treat. If you're on Nugs and haven't already done so give a listen to the Halloween '22 show....it especially is knock-your-socks-off good.
    Sent you a PM, but so cool you've seen those! LOTR from last year looked outrageously fun. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Anyone else going to his shows this Winter? Will be in Grand Rapids and Syracuse!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Going to a show this summer 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I saw Billy in Indy on Saturday.

Great performance. I did think that a drummer was missing....there were some times where they were off tempo a bit.

Billy is amazing. Great guitar player and he has a perfect bluegrass voice. My only complaint is that every song was basically the same. You go through the main part of the song then fiddle solo/banjo solo/mandolin solo, back to Billy for guitar, etc.

He had two sold out nights at the White River Amphitheatre...pretty impressive. Lots of Grateful Dead shirts in the audience...crossover appeal there for sure.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Great performance. I did think that a drummer was missing....there were some times where they were off tempo a bit.

Billy is amazing. Great guitar player and he has a perfect bluegrass voice. My only complaint is that every song was basically the same. You go through the main part of the song then fiddle solo/banjo solo/mandolin solo, back to Billy for guitar, etc.

He had two sold out nights at the White River Amphitheatre...pretty impressive. Lots of Grateful Dead shirts in the audience...crossover appeal there for sure.
    Having gotten more into playing and listening to bluegrass over the past few months (actually, borderline obsessed), I can both appreciate where you're coming from, and also why bluegrass is performed that way still, nearly 100 years after Bill Monroe gave birth to the term.

It's a reverence for tradition, an embrace of simplicity, and a generosity through music where everyone is given a turn (regardless of skillset, etc). These are the tenets that keep the genre pure, homey, and to be totally cliched about it, it makes sure that nostalgia remains an ingredient. This is why bluegrass today still resembles bluegrass made 100 years ago, for better or for worse, and there are absolutely traditionalist fans who demand that of the genre. To me, this video says it all, taken from SPBGMA this year (Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America), and is what brings me so much joy about the genre. You can go to a bluegrass jam session anywhere, and you'll feel at home if you speak the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aggmsU-fwY&ab_channel=ColeGore

That said - I fucking love when he gets spacey and non-traditional too, and wish he would do more of it - so I'm no purist.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    benjs said:

Having gotten more into playing and listening to bluegrass over the past few months (actually, borderline obsessed), I can both appreciate where you're coming from, and also why bluegrass is performed that way still, nearly 100 years after Bill Monroe gave birth to the term.

It's a reverence for tradition, an embrace of simplicity, and a generosity through music where everyone is given a turn (regardless of skillset, etc). These are the tenets that keep the genre pure, homey, and to be totally cliched about it, it makes sure that nostalgia remains an ingredient. This is why bluegrass today still resembles bluegrass made 100 years ago, for better or for worse, and there are absolutely traditionalist fans who demand that of the genre. To me, this video says it all, taken from SPBGMA this year (Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America), and is what brings me so much joy about the genre.

That said - I fucking love when he gets spacey and non-traditional too, and wish he would do more of it - so I'm no purist.
    Yeah he got off on some solo tangents that were great....and the video screens were awesome in how you could see him close up but also the psychedelic effects they added.

But roughly three hours of it got to be a bit much. Love that he plays that long but we left early to beat the crowd. I just felt like I saw all that I was going to see basically. 

I would definitely go again though.

We were laughing at some guys in the pit that looked like they were at a heavy metal show. They were head banging the entire time.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    benjs said:

It's a reverence for tradition, an embrace of simplicity, and a generosity through music where everyone is given a turn (regardless of skillset, etc). These are the tenets that keep the genre pure, homey, and to be totally cliched about it, it makes sure that nostalgia remains an ingredient. This is why bluegrass today still resembles bluegrass made 100 years ago, for better or for worse, and there are absolutely traditionalist fans who demand that of the genre. To me, this video says it all, taken from SPBGMA this year (Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America), and is what brings me so much joy about the genre.

Yeah he got off on some solo tangents that were great....and the video screens were awesome in how you could see him close up but also the psychedelic effects they added.

But roughly three hours of it got to be a bit much. Love that he plays that long but we left early to beat the crowd. I just felt like I saw all that I was going to see basically. 

I would definitely go again though.

We were laughing at some guys in the pit that looked like they were at a heavy metal show. They were head banging the entire time.
    That'd be me, Gern! It makes me bounce like Pearl Jam used to.

EV
  • Options
    Had 3rd row side stage seats for Billy Strings last night. Enjoyed the show but I prefer when he plays more traditional type bluegrass songs than the jamming. I'm probably in the minority judging by how the crowd reacted. I'm amazed at how popular he has gotten saw him just a few years ago in a 1500 capacity theater that wasn't sold out.
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    Had 3rd row side stage seats for Billy Strings last night. Enjoyed the show but I prefer when he plays more traditional type bluegrass songs than the jamming. I'm probably in the minority judging by how the crowd reacted. I'm amazed at how popular he has gotten saw him just a few years ago in a 1500 capacity theater that wasn't sold out.
    I’m with you on traditional bluegrass, but just because I’ve caught the bluegrass bug. It’s all I play or listen to now. 

Amazing you got to see him so close, I’m jealous! Will be seeing his Halloween show in Grand Rapids, and another show in Syracuse later this year, and honestly haven’t been as excited about shows in years. The guy blows my mind, and has brought out a passion for playing I haven’t had in easily ten years.

EV
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    benjs said:
    GB281198 said:
    I’m with you on traditional bluegrass, but just because I’ve caught the bluegrass bug. It’s all I play or listen to now. 

Amazing you got to see him so close, I’m jealous! Will be seeing his Halloween show in Grand Rapids, and another show in Syracuse later this year, and honestly haven’t been as excited about shows in years. The guy blows my mind, and has brought out a passion for playing I haven’t had in easily ten years.
    My wife & daughter are headed to Connecticut today to see him tonight I’m on pet sitting duties! My daughter has been into him for a couple of years now, I like his music just haven’t seen him yet not sure if I could sit through 3 hours of bluegrass lol but I’d def attend one of his shows.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    benjs said:
    GB281198 said:

My wife & daughter are headed to Connecticut today to see him tonight I’m on pet sitting duties! My daughter has been into him for a couple of years now, I like his music just haven’t seen him yet not sure if I could sit through 3 hours of bluegrass lol but I’d def attend one of his shows.
    Definitely catch him live at some point. As expected, it's a bluegrass show  BUT his catalog and influences are so expansive that you'll get Led Zep, PJ, Grateful Dead, Jimi, Pink Floyd and a host of others spun thru the lens of Billy's interpretation. Must see tv, IMO :sunglasses:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    jjflash said:
    benjs said:
    GB281198 said:

Definitely catch him live at some point. As expected, it's a bluegrass show  BUT his catalog and influences are so expansive that you'll get Led Zep, PJ, Grateful Dead, Jimi, Pink Floyd and a host of others spun thru the lens of Billy's interpretation. Must see tv, IMO :sunglasses:
    Yeah I’d def like to see him 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    To have been a fly on the wall at Billy's wedding. Jeez.

May be an image of 4 people and guitar

EV
  • Options

Billy looking for a drummer?
  • Options
    GB281198 said:

Billy looking for a drummer?
    Hopefully just for special events! Drumming makes bluegrass sound weird to me.

EV
  • Options
    aw435aw435 Posts: 73
    Billy Strings performed Jambi with Tool in Salt Lake City last night.
  • Options
    aw435 said:
    Whaaa?!? Wow, that's an awesome and unexpected collabo!
  • Options
    aw435aw435 Posts: 73
    jjflash said:
    aw435 said:
    Whaaa?!? Wow, that's an awesome and unexpected collabo!
    It was really cool. There are some videos on YouTube.
  • Options
    Long shot, but anyone going to Billy Halloween tomorrow night? Would love to meet up with anyone who is!

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Long shot, but anyone going to Billy Halloween tomorrow night? Would love to meet up with anyone who is!
    @benjs How was the show?? I streamed some of it on nugs in between handing out candy - looked like a real hootenanny:) Billy, er...um, the Hulkster, brings out all the stops for Halloween!
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    benjs said:
    @benjs How was the show?? I streamed some of it on nugs in between handing out candy - looked like a real hootenanny:) Billy, er...um, the Hulkster, brings out all the stops for Halloween!
    My mind has been melted, although I must admit, I'm excited for my first TRADITIONAL Billy Strings concert in December!

EV
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    benjs said:

EV
  • Options
    Sorry for the triple post.

Highlights: INSANE fiddle duel in front of me. My jaw was literally dropped the whole time. Watching Jarrod is just amazing. Just starting the mandolin, so watching how he goes between aggressive single-note picking and fluid strumming is so neat. Rusty Cage -> Voodoo Chile was just so fucking badass. Sierra Hull is so cool and talented. Same goes for Molly Tuttle - she's my living flatpicking hero (Tony Rice being my dead one - my dog is named Tony after him) so was so great to see her doin' Dooley's Farm. To be honest, I got tired after four hours after having driven six hours and arrived thirty minutes earlier. I'm 33 and don't have the stamina I used to, lol. That was sad because I missed two great tracks - Talk About Suffering a cappella, and Home of the Red Fox, my personal favourite song they do. D'oh. Good news is: I've got three more shows in December!

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Sorry for the triple post.

Highlights: INSANE fiddle duel in front of me. My jaw was literally dropped the whole time. Watching Jarrod is just amazing. Just starting the mandolin, so watching how he goes between aggressive single-note picking and fluid strumming is so neat. Rusty Cage -> Voodoo Chile was just so fucking badass. Sierra Hull is so cool and talented. Same goes for Molly Tuttle - she's my living flatpicking hero (Tony Rice being my dead one - my dog is named Tony after him) so was so great to see her doin' Dooley's Farm. To be honest, I got tired after four hours after having driven six hours and arrived thirty minutes earlier. I'm 33 and don't have the stamina I used to, lol. That was sad because I missed two great tracks - Talk About Suffering a cappella, and Home of the Red Fox, my personal favourite song they do. D'oh. Good news is: I've got three more shows in December!
    Niiice! You had a primo spot to watch all the action. Cool that you've picked up the mandolin. Can't wait to hear the Rusty Cage --> Voodoo adventure  :sunglasses: