Options

“I stand with planned parenthood” bans off

thebuilderthebuilder Rifle, CO Posts: 119
weird that I don’t see PJ on this list of bands..

https://www.istandwithpp.org/bans-off-my-body/band-together
Feel free 2 feel free

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    I was surprised as well.

• Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Have you considered the possibility that maybe their feelings on the subject have changed and evolved as they grow older?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    edited August 2019
    shecky said:
    Have you considered the possibility that maybe their feelings on the subject have changed and evolved as they grow older?
    They raised money for the organization through a t-shirt sale just a few years ago. So I doubt it very much.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    Maybe the band just thought it was another email about the fan club singles, and ignored it.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    shecky said:
    I doubt very much that now they are suddenly against women's rights 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Also, is that really considered an evolution? Seems more like a devolution.

• Options
    kramer73 said:
    Maybe the band just thought it was another email about the fan club singles, and ignored it.
    fucking lol
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    JimmyV said:
    shecky said:
    They raised money for the organization through a t-shirt sale just a few years ago. So I doubt it very much.
    Be cool if they did another round of those shirts. Missed out the first time.
  • Options
    I bought one, but I really dislike the grey color. Pink on black, white or blue would have been better.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    shecky said:

Considering how vocally pro choice they've been over the years, this possibility wouldn't even enter my mind.

COULD they change their opinion on the matter? Sure, anything is possible, but I would be very surprised if they did.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Hobbes said:
    JimmyV said:
    shecky said:
    Be cool if they did another round of those shirts. Missed out the first time.
    My better half had hers on last night. She loves it. If Pearl Jam wanted to release a new design they'd definitely get me to buy her another one. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

Actually, in the strictest of terms, abortion IS "de-evolution. How could mankind, or any species, have evolved if their offspring were not allowed to live?

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 589
    shecky said:

Actually, in the strictest of terms, abortion IS "de-evolution. How could mankind, or any species, have evolved if their offspring were not allowed to live?

Devolution in thinking is what was meant, I think.
    Man has made decisions that end human life every day for thousands of years.
    Women need the right to make decisions about their health and life. The band will always support that.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,412
    Not too long ago Jill Vedder posted Ed during unplugged on mtv writing “pro choice” on his arm and told her daughters that their father was fighting for women long before they were born and how proud they should be. Not sure about anyone else but the Vedders seem to still support PP and women no matter what.

• Options
    link93link93 Posts: 406
    I’m sure the bands position hasn’t changed and they are very much pro choice. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    shecky said:

Women need the right to make decisions about their health and life. The band will always support that.

So, you are the spokesperson for Tim S., who made the statement that I commented on, and for Pearl Jam, too? 
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    shecky said:
    shecky said:

So, you are officially the spokesperson for Tim S., who made the statement that I commented on, and for Pearl Jam, too? 
    If the person was officially the spokesperson for another user, why would he/she use "I think"?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    shecky said:

This is what I meant.

• Options
    Not too long ago Jill Vedder posted Ed during unplugged on mtv writing “pro choice” on his arm and told her daughters that their father was fighting for women long before they were born and how proud they should be. Not sure about anyone else but the Vedders seem to still support PP and women no matter what.

Well, I'm glad we are able to have friendly and civil discussions about a heavy topic like this. I believe in abortion rights for women, but with some sensible time limitations. There are many people that think that a full-term baby should be able to be aborted literally the day before it is due to be born. I just can't agree with that extreme position. And, I'm always confused by statements like: " ...fighting for women...". My question is, who is fighting for the baby woman, i.e. the full-term baby girl, who has no voice whatsoever in this decision and will never get to be born and become a woman? Doesn't anyone care about her?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    shecky said:

There are many people that think that a full-term baby should be able to be aborted literally the day before it is due to be born. 
    OK, but let’s be clear, that’s about 1% of abortions and usually its related to the mothers health or the baby's viability. It's never someone peacing out on being pregnant. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    I’m pro-choice and all for a woman’s right to choose but I’d like to choose where my tax dollars go.  More for education and less for things like PP.  Abortions should cost enough that they don’t need my $$ for someone else’s choice to abort a baby. I don’t like when this gov’t makes my decisions for me.  Damn you govt.  ok I’m out of this convo.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mbowersmbowers Posts: 109
    Neil Young isn't listed either.  Both have played Voters for Choice shows.  I'm sure there's some reason, but I wouldn't worry about changes in opinion.
  • Options
    It’s possible they reached out to everyone and many went to junk folders or bands/artists didn’t get back to management in time to confirm. I’m sure this list will grow. But if it doesn’t, we shouldn’t assume artists don’t support it. 

We know PJs history, we know where they land
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    shecky said:

There are many people that think that a full-term baby should be able to be aborted literally the day before it is due to be born. 
    OK, but let’s be clear, that’s about 1% of abortions and usually its related to the mothers health or the baby's viability. It's never someone peacing out on being pregnant. 

Thing is you have to draw the line somewhere when you're writing law. I think 20-25 weeks with exceptions for viability/mother's physical health like you said is the way to go. Even a handful of people peacing out at 38-39 is ghoulish. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,412
    shecky said:

Well, I'm glad we are able to have friendly and civil discussions about a heavy topic like this. I believe in abortion rights for women, but with some sensible time limitations. There are many people that think that a full-term baby should be able to be aborted literally the day before it is due to be born. I just can't agree with that extreme position. And, I'm always confused by statements like: " ...fighting for women...". My question is, who is fighting for the baby woman, i.e. the full-term baby girl, who has no voice whatsoever in this decision and will never get to be born and become a woman? Doesn't anyone care about her?
    To avoid confusion please don’t think I was implying that I know anything about their feelings on abortion term limitations.  When I stated that they support PP and women no matter what I meant and should have said they appear to support all kinds of causes for women.  
    I hope this clarifies my comment and yes, it is quite mature to have this conversation without insulting or degrading each other. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    shecky said:

Thing is you have to draw the line somewhere when you're writing law. I think 20-25 weeks with exceptions for viability/mother's physical health like you said is the way to go. Even a handful of people peacing out at 38-39 is ghoulish. 
    No doubt. And I agree. But they seem to be more the exception, and it not best to let the exception make the rule.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    pjl44 said:
    shecky said:

No doubt. And I agree. But they seem to be more the exception, and it not best to let the exception make the rule.
    The exception in this case is a full-term child being terminated. Even if you're only looking at the political aspect of it, I think waving that off pushes people away from the pro-choice movement.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,853
    ibtl.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    glad you got that in. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    ibtl.
    been a long time since I've seen that posted. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com