Options

US is close to losing measles-elimination status

“We’re embarrassed”: US is close to losing measles-elimination status

There’s a “reasonable chance” that the US will soon lose its status as a country that has eliminated measles. That’s according to Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

What to know about measles in the US as case count breaks record
The World Health Organization considers a disease eliminated from a country or region if it has gone at least 12 months without continuous spread of said disease. (This is different from disease eradication, which is when a disease is completely stamped out globally. Humans have only managed to eradicate two diseases: smallpox and rinderpest, which infects cattle and other ruminants.)

The US triumphantly declared measles eliminated in 2000—after spending decades tenaciously working to promote widespread vaccination. (The CDC had originally hoped to have it eliminated by 1982.) And in 2016, the WHO declared measles eliminated from the Americas altogether. WHO’s Regional Office for the Americas (PAHO) celebrated the news with announcements titled, in part, “Bye, bye measles!”

But now—after a global resurgence of the highly infectious viral illness, spurred partly by misinformation and vocal anti-vaccine advocates—both of those achievements are close to being undone.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/08/were-embarrassed-us-health-experts-chagrined-by-measles-resurgence/
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options

'Not our finest hour'

Looking back, public health experts see lost opportunities for combating that problem.
    While anti-vaxers were busy spreading their false propaganda, "the good guys," as Schaffner calls them, failed to effectively communicate how dangerous diseases like measles can be.

Those "good guys," he said, include groups such as the CDC as well as doctors' groups.
    "I think this was not our finest hour," Schaffner said.
    Dr. William Moss, an infectious disease pediatrician at Johns Hopkins, agrees.
    While anti-vaxers circulated videos on social media of mothers citing false claims about vaccines, public health groups failed to tell the stories of the ravages of diseases like measles.

"We didn't do enough to get a mother on camera to say 'my child died of measles' or had brain damage from measles. I think we could have done better with our public health messaging," said Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at Johns Hopkins.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/28/health/us-measles-elimination-status-in-jeopardy/index.html
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    antivaxers, climate deniers, flat earthers

all equally idiotic.
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    Smellyman said:

all equally idiotic.
    Add Trumpists to that list also, I'm sure they all move between most of these labels.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    Smellyman said:

all equally idiotic.
    Deplorables.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That's because it is a tricky issue...do you pass a law and force people, or do you leave be...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    That's because it is a tricky issue...do you pass a law and force people, or do you leave be...

I think you can pass laws that make it almost a requirement...without making it a requirement.  Like school vaccinations....required to attend public school.  But feel free to home school.  

My personal belief is it should be required, but I'm also leery of just letting the government decide what must be put in your body.  Perhaps a "potential spreader" tax ;).  

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Fatal measles case highlights the importance of herd immunity in protecting the vulnerable

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181101133918.htm

Our Swede friend must stay up all night on google searching for dumb shit to critique the US on...it is becoming a joke at this point...

I guess we could critique Sweden ... but I don't give a damn about.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Another "I hate USA" thread?
    Shocking.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2019
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190813/swedish-unemployment-rate-rises-for-first-time-in-two-years

Hey - what is the cause of this?  And why is unemployment roughly 7% for Swedes but almost 20% for foreign born people in Sweden?  Why the disparity?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190813/swedish-unemployment-rate-rises-for-first-time-in-two-years

Hey - what is the cause of this?  And why is unemployment roughly 7% for Swedes but almost 20% for foreign born people in Sweden?  Why the disparity?
    What is the relevance to the thread? I feel like I'm missing something here.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    All of the words I am not free to use.
    To you.
    Strongly 
    Repeatedly.

• Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    To you.
    Strongly 
    Repeatedly.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2019
    UK, Greece, Albania and Czech Republic - measles not considered eliminated.

Human beings are so stupid. Having problems that do not even have to exist.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    I have never seen someone post so much anti-American crap as what we are getting.  It is just ridiculous at this point.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    We have problems here  with people not having  the vaccine .  It is hard as a parent. But all my kids are vaccinated. 
    My mum had measles as a child before  the vaccines  were around.  So she taught  us about the importance.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I have never seen someone post so much anti-American crap as what we are getting.  It is just ridiculous at this point.  
    What is anti-american in the problem of measles outbreaks? 
  • Options
    We have problems here  with people not having  the vaccine .  It is hard as a parent. But all my kids are vaccinated. 
    My mum had measles as a child before  the vaccines  were around.  So she taught  us about the importance.  
    You don't have a public "children vaccines program" in the UK? In Sweden every kid gets (not law though) 9 different vaccines for diseases. Measles included.

The vaccinations that are offered to all children protect against 9 diseases: diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, infections caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b, measles, mumps, rubella and serious diseases caused by pneumococcus. Girls are also offered a vaccine against the human papillomavirus (HPV). (See table below.) Since 2016, all county councils ("landsting" or "regioner") additionally offer all infants vaccinations against hepatitis B.

Most vaccines that are part of the Swedish child vaccination programme are given as combination vaccines, i.e. vaccines against several diseases are given in the same shot in order to minimize the number of injections.

All vaccinations within the vaccination programme for children are voluntary and offered free of charge.

• Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.
    To you.
    Strongly 
    Repeatedly.

One day you will learn that it is not nice to mess with mother nature. 
    The strong survive.
  • Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.

Didn;t feel like starting a new one and since this is the 1,000,000 anti-USA thread from a swede I thought I'd ask about this Swedish topic.

Why are you deflecting instead of answering.  Just wondering what the reason is
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.

Didn;t feel like starting a new one and since this is the 1,000,000 anti-USA thread from a swede I thought I'd ask about this Swedish topic.
    I don't get the "anti-USA" thing. Measles is shit, wherever it breaks out. 

And I still don't see the relevance of my nationality to the thread. Buy me a beer in Tokyo in 2020 and we can discuss it there. Where it is not weirdly off-topic. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    What is anti-american in the problem of measles outbreaks? 
    No need for a new thread, for one.

OP, as much as you're on here, you must know about these: https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/186388/vaccinate-your-kids/p1 and https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/279213/a-quarter-of-all-kindergartners-in-washington-county-aren-t-immunized-now-there-s-a-measles-crisis/p1. Only neither of those mentions the US in a negative light in their titles.

Perhaps @Kat or @Sea will perform another merge so as not to turn AMT into a surface-level anti-US agitprop forum.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    That is what he wants, though.
  • Options
    Shocking.
    So insecure. Cute.

I don't get the "anti-USA" thing. Measles is shit, wherever it breaks out. 

And I still don't see the relevance of my nationality to the thread. Buy me a beer in Tokyo in 2020 and we can discuss it there. Where it is not weirdly off-topic. 
    Alrighty then, I'll remember this thread integrity thing.  Guess I'll have to start it's own thread for the question to be answered.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846

https://www.thelocal.se/20171228/gothenburg-hospital-battles-measles-outbreak
    28 December 2017

Measles outbreak in Gothenburg continues

On Thursday Sahlgrenska University Hospital revealed it had closed the children's emergency ward temporarily after detecting a ninth suspected case of measles, which it has been battling since December 10th.

The confirmed number of infections in the city has now risen to 10, with the majority of the cases being people who had contact with someone who sought help at the hospital on December 10th.

"We can say that it's a mixture of different people who have been infected, both children and adults," Peter Ulleryd, a deputy infections doctor in Västra Götaland county told newspaper Göteborgs Posten.

"The likelihood of there being more cases is high. Measles are so contagious that sitting in the same waiting room or being present in the same room is enough to be infected," he continued.

The hospital is trying to track down those who may have been infected. Many are believed to have been exposed to the virus, but only a limited number of infections are expected as most Swedes are vaccinated against measles.

Health officials urged those who are not vaccinated to get the measles jab, but told people who believe they may have been infected to stay at home and contact health advice hotline 1177.

“These people should not be in the waiting rooms due to the risk of infection. If you still go to our emergency wards you should pay attention to the information signs and additional healthcare staff at the entrance. Their job is to ask about measles symptoms and vaccination status. If they suspect infection the patient will be treated in a separate room,” said Anne Haglund Olmarker, duty hospital chief.

“Because we are tracking down the infection, we may find people who are not vaccinated. They are then offered the opportunity to quickly get vaccinated. Vaccination must take place within three days of infection,” she added.

The first symptoms are high fever, a severe cough and red eyes, followed by a rash.

Sweden has offered vaccination against measles since 1971 and as part of the MMR jab (measles, mumps and rubella) since 1982. More than 97 percent of two-year-olds are today vaccinated.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    28 December 2017

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    28 December 2017

Yes I posted the date.  That's your response?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    28 December 2017

What does this post have to do with the topic?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    28 December 2017

What does this post have to do with the topic?
    Nothing but it is a teachable moment: Don't throw rocks in glass houses.   Seems like the measles outbreak got a little bigger a few days later in the little country known as Sweden.    I'm not writing my doctorate on this so I will be ending my research on this topic.
    https://www.thelocal.se/20180105/gothenburg-measles-outbreak-grows-to-15-confirmed-cases

Gothenburg measles outbreak grows to 15 confirmed cases

5 January 2018
    The number of people infected in a Gothenburg measles outbreak has increased to 15, and there are concerns it may spread to other parts of Sweden.

Gothenburg has been battling the outbreak since the first case was confirmed at Sahlgrenska University Hospital on December 10th, and on Friday Västra Götaland Regional Council said that the number had risen to 15 – two more than the previous update on Thursday.

One of the two new cases is a woman who was infected in Västra Götaland and sought treatment in Västerbotten, northern Sweden.

Not included in the 15 is a further suspected case in neighbouring Halland however, where local health officials said they would not be able to make an accurate diagnosis until Saturday.

Most of the 15 confirmed cases are adults and are believed to have been infected while visiting Sahlgrenska.

READ ALSO: More than 60 babies may have been exposed to Gothenburg measles infection This article can be found here:

https://www.thelocal.se/20180103/more-than-60-babies-may-have-been-exposed-to-gothenburg-measles-infection

Sweden has been offering vaccination against measles since 1971 and as part of the MMR jab (measles, mumps and rubella) since 1982.

A similar outbreak occurred in Sweden in 2016 with 12 cases, and in 2013 with 17.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    mcgruff10 said:

https://www.thelocal.se/20171228/gothenburg-hospital-battles-measles-outbreak
    28 December 2017

Measles outbreak in Gothenburg continues

On Thursday Sahlgrenska University Hospital revealed it had closed the children's emergency ward temporarily after detecting a ninth suspected case of measles, which it has been battling since December 10th.

The confirmed number of infections in the city has now risen to 10, with the majority of the cases being people who had contact with someone who sought help at the hospital on December 10th.

"We can say that it's a mixture of different people who have been infected, both children and adults," Peter Ulleryd, a deputy infections doctor in Västra Götaland county told newspaper Göteborgs Posten.

"The likelihood of there being more cases is high. Measles are so contagious that sitting in the same waiting room or being present in the same room is enough to be infected," he continued.

The hospital is trying to track down those who may have been infected. Many are believed to have been exposed to the virus, but only a limited number of infections are expected as most Swedes are vaccinated against measles.

Health officials urged those who are not vaccinated to get the measles jab, but told people who believe they may have been infected to stay at home and contact health advice hotline 1177.

“These people should not be in the waiting rooms due to the risk of infection. If you still go to our emergency wards you should pay attention to the information signs and additional healthcare staff at the entrance. Their job is to ask about measles symptoms and vaccination status. If they suspect infection the patient will be treated in a separate room,” said Anne Haglund Olmarker, duty hospital chief.

“Because we are tracking down the infection, we may find people who are not vaccinated. They are then offered the opportunity to quickly get vaccinated. Vaccination must take place within three days of infection,” she added.

The first symptoms are high fever, a severe cough and red eyes, followed by a rash.

Sweden has offered vaccination against measles since 1971 and as part of the MMR jab (measles, mumps and rubella) since 1982. More than 97 percent of two-year-olds are today vaccinated.

HAHA. awesome. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.