Options

How to stop White Terrorism in the U.S

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Oh fuck it. People just read what they want to read. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited August 2019
    A racist, white supremacist drives 9 hours to commit a mass murder and says that he was driven to it because of immigration, and people actually agree with him and say that this is an indicator that immigration is partly to blame? A big hell no to that!

The purported motives of a mass murderer should not be influencing our policies; logic, science, compassion and law should influence our policies. If this mass murderer drove to a setting mostly filled with women, shot a few dozen women and girls, and said that he was driven to it because of the problems of feminism, would people agree and say yeah,  we need to do something about all of these uppity women driving men to violence? 

It's bizarre that people actually think that "immigration helped bring this violence forward". Guns and racism brought this violence forward.
    The “normalization” has begun.

You two are the reason things don't get done anymore.  You can't have a conversation.  Even with people who agree with you that guns and racism are a big problem in the U.S.A.   Like I said before in another thread, guns are what the psychos use to kill people, and not why.   Trump used lack of enforcement on the borders as rhetoric to win the election.  You hate Trump so much but can't acknowledge his methods for winning the election besides Russia?   He would have beat Hillary without Russian involvement.  It is a big country and filled with a lot of people that are pissed off and frustrated, and take it out on something "illegal" even if illegal immigration isn't impacting them. You obviously don't understand that. 

I'm saying let's figure out immigration so that people can come here legally under rules that both parties can approve of (might be a pipe dream).  Then perhaps we can remove the rhetoric used by Trump and people like Trump to drive up hate (might be another pipe dream).  While removing guns is a terrific start, there will always be cars, make shift bombs (like OKC), illegal guns on the blackmarket, etc... that can be used to hurt people. 

I have been suggesting to fix Immigration reform because Trump used it to win ever since Trump won the election and not because of the gun violence.   Immigration is the last hope of the Republicans though to keep power.  They won't be a part of reform because crying "illegal immigration" is their last card to play.  Nothing left in the deck.  What I am suggesting will help immigrants. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    Unless I misread something, I didn’t see anyone blame immigration at all for any of the shootings. I saw 1 poster say if we solve immigration then at least they wouldn’t have that as an excuse when these shootings keep happening, followed by everyone telling him immigration has nothing to do with it. 
    But thats pretty much what was said.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    A racist, white supremacist drives 9 hours to commit a mass murder and says that he was driven to it because of immigration, and people actually agree with him and say that this is an indicator that immigration is partly to blame? A big hell no to that!

The purported motives of a mass murderer should not be influencing our policies; logic, science, compassion and law should influence our policies. If this mass murderer drove to a setting mostly filled with women, shot a few dozen women and girls, and said that he was driven to it because of the problems of feminism, would people agree and say yeah,  we need to do something about all of these uppity women driving men to violence? 

It's bizarre that people actually think that "immigration helped bring this violence forward". Guns and racism brought this violence forward.

You two are the reason things don't get done anymore.  You can't have a conversation.  Even with people who agree with you that guns and racism are a big problem in the U.S.A.   Like I said before in another thread, guns are what the psychos use to kill people, and not why.   Trump used lack of enforcement on the borders as rhetoric to win the election.  You hate Trump so much but can't acknowledge his methods for winning the election besides Russia?   He would have beat Hillary without Russian involvement.  It is a big country and filled with a lot of people that are pissed off and frustrated, and take it out on something "illegal" even if illegal immigration isn't impacting them. You obviously don't understand that. 

I'm saying let's figure out immigration so that people can come here legally under rules that both parties can approve of (might be a pipe dream).  Then perhaps we can remove the rhetoric used by Trump and people like Trump to drive up hate (might be another pipe dream).  While removing guns is a terrific start, there will always be cars, make shift bombs (like OKC), illegal guns on the blackmarket, etc... that can be used to hurt people. 

I have been suggesting to fix Immigration reform because Trump used it to win ever since Trump won the election and not because of the gun violence.   Immigration is the last hope of the Republicans though to keep power.  They won't be a part of reform because crying "illegal immigration" is their last card to play.  Nothing left in the deck.  What I am suggesting will help immigrants. 

Immigration reform was on the table during the Obama Administration and nothing got done because the repubs saw it as an issue to motivate their base of white racists. Team Trump Treason weaponized it with his build the wall chants and other repubs stoked the flames with drugs and rapists comments. You’re now seeing the results. I’m sorry you don’t understand that.

Cincy’s comments basically justify the rhetoric that’s been used by Team Trump Treason and the repubs to justify the result, I.e. if we had immigration reform, we wouldn’t have had a mass shooting in El Paso. I call bullshit because almost every mass shooting from Columbine to Dayton had nothing to do with immigration but rather angry white males with easy access to firearms and weapons of war. So stop with the fucking bullshit about wanting to have a conversation.

And nothing will change until those “responsible” gun owners march and protest their elected representatives with their guns strapped on their backs and hips and demand change by saying, “I’m a “responsible” gun owner and I’ll go through training to be licensed, I’ll submit to universal background check, I’ll accept magazine limits, I’ll accept other reasonable licensure and regulations in an attempt to stem the violence.”

Equating the solution to mass shootings to immigration reform is just stupid.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Immigration reform was on the table during the Obama Administration and nothing got done because the repubs saw it as an issue to motivate their base of white racists. Team Trump Treason weaponized it with his build the wall chants and other repubs stoked the flames with drugs and rapists comments. You’re now seeing the results. I’m sorry you don’t understand that.

Cincy’s comments basically justify the rhetoric that’s been used by Team Trump Treason and the repubs to justify the result, I.e. if we had immigration reform, we wouldn’t have had a mass shooting in El Paso. I call bullshit because almost every mass shooting from Columbine to Dayton had nothing to do with immigration but rather angry white males with easy access to firearms and weapons of war. So stop with the fucking bullshit about wanting to have a conversation.

And nothing will change until those “responsible” gun owners march and protest their elected representatives with their guns strapped on their backs and hips and demand change by saying, “I’m a “responsible” gun owner and I’ll go through training to be licensed, I’ll submit to universal background check, I’ll accept magazine limits, I’ll accept other reasonable licensure and regulations in an attempt to stem the violence.”

You lack critical thinking skills.    Your first paragraph is essentially my entire post.  I want to get immigration reform passed so it can't be used by Republicans to fire up psychos.  You cannot comprehend how important the word "illegal" in this is.  You need to take the word "illegal" off the table.  Racists will still be racists, but I do think that so many people here "illegally" is a huge part of the issue that is driving the rhetoric and pushing a racist to the degree that they become violent.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

My comment justifies the rhetoric? Wtf

My comments were around the fact politicians keep taking about immigration and doing nothing. Rhetoric helping to create the hate. 

Fuck off if you think I’m justifying trumps rhetoric or this murderer. That’s an asshole thing to say.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

My comments were around the fact politicians keep taking about immigration and doing nothing. Rhetoric helping to create the hate. 

Fuck off if you think I’m justifying trumps rhetoric or this murderer. That’s an asshole thing to say.
    He thinks providing reasons for why someone did something is justifying that act.   That person missed a few classes in school. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,688
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Brian - interesting that one of your areas is over-population. Yet you don’t think immigration is part of the issue? I hadn’t looked at it that way.

i think immigration is the issue that has helped bring this violence forward recently due to the talk of our politicians and media. I’m not sure why I have to type this but I feel if I don’t someone will drop the dumbass “both sides” comment - obviously due to trump and places like Fox News demonizing people instead of the broken system.  I guess it could be any number of issues that stir up unrest in people. That unrest can turn to hate, especially with the Internet feeding it. You can always find nourishment for whatever stupid hate thing you have on the Internet. 
    Perhaps I'm to knee-jerk about it, but I almost always attribute overpopulation as at least a part of any social problem. 

Maybe I'm wrong about immigration being a motive for these shootings but if it were, wouldn't the immigrants be the target instead of people enjoying a drink in a bar or sampling garlic related products at a fair?
    I’m not saying a motive in all. But El Paso it certainly was. Dude drove 9 hours to the location. 

I haven't read anything connecting immigration to the El Paso slayings.  Would be interested to see what there is that way.
    Perhaps on not being clear. Immigrants not to blame, the immigration issue and rhetoric helped radicalize the killer.
    I believe that's possible, just hadn't read it.  I have to admit to not reading  these stories too deeply.  After a while they all start to sound like a story board.

Check this out (funny but not funny if you know what I mean):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

You lack critical thinking skills.    Your first paragraph is essentially my entire post.  I want to get immigration reform passed so it can't be used by Republicans to fire up psychos.  You cannot comprehend how important the word "illegal" in this is.  You need to take the word "illegal" off the table.  Racists will still be racists, but I do think that so many people here "illegally" is a huge part of the issue that is driving the rhetoric and pushing a racist to the degree that they become violent.  

The El Paso shooter’s manifesto also railed against unemployment and Hispanics taking jobs from white people, despite low unemployment and record hiring and unemployment for women and minorities. What’s next? Excuses for mass shootings based on the unemployment rate?

Team Trump Treason’s rhetoric and dog whistles pushed the shooter to act. That POS bears responsibility.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

You equated illegal immigration with mass shootings and I’m arguing that that is misguided and by doing so, you’re indirectly claiming that if immigration reform was implemented, reasons for mass shootings would cease, and by making such a claim, you’re justifying the rhetoric that’s been used. So if somebody wants something to change, all they have to do is commit a mass shooting and blame it on that thing they want changed? I guess nobody remembers the violence against abortion clinics and providers during the 90’s and the rhetoric used by repubs and the right?

Brilliantati©
  • Options

He thinks providing reasons for why someone did something is justifying that act.   That person missed a few classes in school. 
    What if douchbag mass shooter didn’t have ready access to weapons of war? Maybe he’d be standing on a soapbox screaming about the injustices of immigration and lack of reform?

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Somebody missed a few anger management classes.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Okay, I’ll try one more time to explain my position. Not that you guys are likely to value it, because I’m apparently the reason why there’s been no progress on gun control in the US, but I’ll give it a try.  

No, we don’t try to “fix immigration” so that terrorists don’t have it as a reason to kill people. We don’t give any credence to their motives and we ideally we don’t even give any attention to them. The stated motives of a racist, white supremacist don’t matter because there’s no way to placate those people that doesn’t also lead to great harms and injustice being done to others who do not deserve it. 

Reforming immigration laws should be done properly and because it’s the right thing to do, not to placate racists and/or republicans. No matter what is done to immigration laws, racists will still find reasons for hate. 

And, as per the article in the gun violence thread, guns are the why as well as the how. Dealing with immigration reform won’t stop mass shootings until the guns are also dealt with. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    When ISIS was committing terrorist attacks on the West, I don’t recall many people saying “if we reform western capitalistic society they won’t have an excuse for killings”. No, we rightly dismissed the stated motives. This is the same. 

I actually don’t think that out positions are that far apart. 
  • Options
    When ISIS was committing terrorist attacks on the West, I don’t recall many people saying “if we reform western capitalistic society they won’t have an excuse for killings”. No, we rightly dismissed the stated motives. This is the same. 

I don’t think we are that far apart either.  

But I think there are thousands of posts on this board that talk about western influences in the Middle East being responsible for terrorism. 
  • Options

I don’t think we are that far apart either.  

But I think there are thousands of posts on this board that talk about western influences in the Middle East being responsible for terrorism. 
    Sure. But did anyone think that if we reformed really anything at all, that ISIS would suddenly be reasonable and stop killing? No, because that's ludicrous. 

Again, deal with western influences in the Middle East because it’s the right thing to do, not to placate killers. That just reinforces that they’re right. 
  • Options

You equated illegal immigration with mass shootings and I’m arguing that that is misguided and by doing so, you’re indirectly claiming that if immigration reform was implemented, reasons for mass shootings would cease, and by making such a claim, you’re justifying the rhetoric that’s been used. So if somebody wants something to change, all they have to do is commit a mass shooting and blame it on that thing they want changed? I guess nobody remembers the violence against abortion clinics and providers during the 90’s and the rhetoric used by repubs and the right?
     No I didn’t. You are making shit up.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    I agree with most everything those of you above have said.  Some excellent posts here.  I'm just not sure though how much the immigration issue has to do with these mass killings.  My own take on what causes them is:

-not having strict enough gun laws and screening (what cincy said)
    -lack of education.  Too many  Americans are not very well educated.  Well educated people are less likely to become mass murderers.
    -poor leadership starting at the top.  A racist misogynist makes for setting a poor example.
    -lack of hope and inspiration.  The U.S. is severely stymied by ennui, dissatisfaction and little to be proud of or inspired by.
    -overcrowding.  It's long been proven that overcrowding leads to social problems.  Overpopulation drives overcrowding.

If those are valid reasons, then the solutions are obvious:
    -strict gun laws and screening.
    -a focus on quality education and especially, quality educators.
    -vote out POS politicians especially You Know Who (I don't even like to use his name anymore)
    -find ways to restore hope and inspiration through qualities like sharing, helping, kindness, benevolence, creativity and great leadership
    -reducing population.  This starts with better education for women.
    For everyone.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    It’s unreal where we are as a country tonight it just feels sad ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,688
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree with most everything those of you above have said.  Some excellent posts here.  I'm just not sure though how much the immigration issue has to do with these mass killings.  My own take on what causes them is:

-not having strict enough gun laws and screening (what cincy said)
    -lack of education.  Too many  Americans are not very well educated.  Well educated people are less likely to become mass murderers.
    -poor leadership starting at the top.  A racist misogynist makes for setting a poor example.
    -lack of hope and inspiration.  The U.S. is severely stymied by ennui, dissatisfaction and little to be proud of or inspired by.
    -overcrowding.  It's long been proven that overcrowding leads to social problems.  Overpopulation drives overcrowding.

If those are valid reasons, then the solutions are obvious:
    -strict gun laws and screening.
    -a focus on quality education and especially, quality educators.
    -vote out POS politicians especially You Know Who (I don't even like to use his name anymore)
    -find ways to restore hope and inspiration through qualities like sharing, helping, kindness, benevolence, creativity and great leadership
    -reducing population.  This starts with better education for women.
    For everyone.
    Agreed.  But outside the first world, educational opportunities for women are more difficult to come by.  But yes, more and better education for all, for sure.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    I had mentioned in a thread a while ago that the white male is the most dangerous thing in the US.  It lead to a discussion of if men are getting a release or they hold in feelings.  It was a good discussion.  There is a long history of it.  The last few years there seemed to be an increase which led to the discussion of why?  Internet, PC, loss of middle class, etc.

To think that the white male domestic terrorist is suddenly a new thing is silly though.  McVeigh was 20 years ago.  That dude that climbed the clock tower was 50 years ago?  Waco and Koresh was 30 years ago?  Manson in the 60's.

• Options
    I had mentioned in a thread a while ago that the white male is the most dangerous thing in the US.  It lead to a discussion of if men are getting a release or they hold in feelings.  It was a good discussion.  There is a long history of it.  The last few years there seemed to be an increase which led to the discussion of why?  Internet, PC, loss of middle class, etc.

To think that the white male domestic terrorist is suddenly a new thing is silly though.  McVeigh was 20 years ago.  That dude that climbed the clock tower was 50 years ago?  Waco and Koresh was 30 years ago?  Manson in the 60's.

manson should be in a different category imo.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Because no gun crimes?  He was a white domestic terrorist for sure though.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    "The left and the right are the same"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

not because of method. other people committed those murders.

koresh doesnt qualify either.

tell me how each does qualify.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Manson is easy.  He started his own doctrine and had people brainwashed to do his bidding.  

Same with Koresh.  

You don't have to go out and commit a mass murder to be a domestic terrorist.  

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Manson is easy.  He started his own doctrine and had people brainwashed to do his bidding.  

Same with Koresh.  

Where does that put Madoff?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Same with Koresh.  

He wreaked havoc but he doesn't fall under the definition.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Same with Koresh.  

He wreaked havoc but he doesn't fall under the definition.
    glad you brought that up. just by what definition do you make the claim above?