US darling Ronald Reagan called black people "monkeys"

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Comment is made in 1971; I am trying to understand why this is a story.  
    Slow news day I guess?  This kind of stuff gives me a bad taste for the media and their constant pot stirring.  If I said “hey, Lincoln said some pretty racist shit” (which he did), is it really going to blow anyone’s mind at this juncture?
    Ace Frehley uses "at this juncture" so often it has become a meme in the KISS community.

And, why be so defensive of Reagan? Why not report on him having said black people were monkeys who couldn't even tie their shoes? It obviously adds a new perspective on the man. Or is racism so normalised to you two that you feel the need to take this defensive position?
    Philadelphia Mississippi.  We're all way ahead of you. 
    Bro I ve had kids crying after I taught that lesson. You can hear a pin drop when I am going through my presentation.  That is some rough stuff right there. Did you see that mrs Bryant admitted to making the whole thing up?  
    You mean that Emmit never said a word? Yes.. horrible. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Slow news day I guess?  This kind of stuff gives me a bad taste for the media and their constant pot stirring.  If I said “hey, Lincoln said some pretty racist shit” (which he did), is it really going to blow anyone’s mind at this juncture?
    Ace Frehley uses "at this juncture" so often it has become a meme in the KISS community.

And, why be so defensive of Reagan? Why not report on him having said black people were monkeys who couldn't even tie their shoes? It obviously adds a new perspective on the man. Or is racism so normalised to you two that you feel the need to take this defensive position?
    Philadelphia Mississippi.  We're all way ahead of you. 
    Bro I ve had kids crying after I taught that lesson. You can hear a pin drop when I am going through my presentation.  That is some rough stuff right there. Did you see that mrs Bryant admitted to making the whole thing up?  
    You mean that Emmit never said a word? Yes.. horrible. 
    Yeah. I believe she admitted to it on her deathbed.  What an absolute pos. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Slow news day for sure.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Does anyone here think or believe Obama talked like this about the white people of this country?
    I'm not sure what you are getting at...Reagan didn't say this about black people of this country either.  
    So I guess there weren’t any blacks from Africa living here my bad ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Can we just refrain from making this a Sweden vs America issue ..
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,597
    edited July 2019
    Saying it about black people of any country is wrong. Full stop. That 40 years later repubs continue to nominate, and voters continue to elect, racists is why what Ronny Rayguns said 49 years ago is relevant today.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    As soon as we stop applying broad statements to the whole of 300 million people,  sure.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,976
    mrussel1 said:
    As soon as we stop applying broad statements to the whole of 300 million people,  sure.  
    Murder she wrote. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Murder she wrote. 
    Matlock
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Im pretty most of our parents made a disparaging remark in 71, regardless of the country of origin. 
    Um, a LOT of people in 1971 actually did not call black people monkeys. I can't believe you think that "most" people said stuff like that at that time. I guarantee you that my parents would NEVER use that language when talking about black people, and have never use any kind of racist slurs... And my parents are actually kind of racist! Even some racist people would think that was unacceptable in 1971 FFS.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    People in here defacto defending and wanting news to not cover the Governor of California calling the President of the USA being racist as fuck and the President laughing. 

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Im pretty most of our parents made a disparaging remark in 71, regardless of the country of origin. 
    Um, a LOT of people in 1971 actually did not call black people monkeys. I can't believe you think that "most" people said stuff like that at that time. I guarantee you that my parents would NEVER use that language when talking about black people, and have never use any kind of racist slurs... And my parents are actually kind of racist! Even some racist people would think that was unacceptable in 1971 FFS.
    I said disparaging,  not monkey.  So you say your parents were a little racist.  Doesn't that support my point? The word my parents tended to use was "ethnic", which was ironic since my dad was born in the Ukraine. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    People in here defacto defending and wanting news to not cover the Governor of California calling the President of the USA being racist as fuck and the President laughing. 

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 
    Correction. The CA Governor and President in 1971. No one (that I’ve seen) is condoning his comments. I just think most people don’t see how comments from 50 years ago are relevant today. 
  • Options
    Trump must not have tweeted anything newsworthy today so might as well dig up something on Ronnie from 1971. Lol 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Irrelevant? Slow news day?

That would only be true if such comments really were in the past and we could all shake our heads and wonder who would say such a thing. Unfortunately, since modern day republicans are willing to say some pretty outrageously racist things in public, I think it’s safe to say that some of them are still using words like “monkey” in private. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 
    Correction. The CA Governor and President in 1971. No one (that I’ve seen) is condoning his comments. I just think most people don’t see how comments from 50 years ago are relevant today. 
    Sounds like racism apologists to me. What does it matter if it was in 1971? It is still an unheard recording of the President laughing while the then future President is being a big ol´racist.

Ofc its news. Unless one has murky reasons for feeling the need to downplay it.
  • Options
    ^ Maybe. Who knows. If so, that’s sad. I’m just referring to the facts (I.e. the Reagan story from 1971) and not speculating on who says what in private today. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 
    Sounds like racism apologists to me. What does it matter if it was in 1971? It is still an unheard recording of the President laughing while the then future President is being a big ol´racist.

I don’t care what it sounds like to you. Keep stirring the pot though. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 

I don’t care what it sounds like to you. Keep stirring the pot though. 
    Okey, but you quote me and push what you "think" on me? So.. do you think I should care about that?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 

Historical perspective.  Learn something about the academic side. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 

Racism apologists.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 

Racism apologists.
    You keep using that term, yet I haven’t seen anyone apologize for his awful comments. So why do you insist on using that term and painting everyone with a broad brush? Oh yeah...you enjoy stirring the pot. That’s why. Raegan’s comments were terrible. My point is, why is this a story in 2019 when he said it in 1971? We have enough other shit to focus on and fix in present day. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Amazing. 

Talk about regressive. 

Racism apologists.
    You keep using that term, yet I haven’t seen anyone apologize for his awful comments. So why do you insist on using that term and painting everyone with a broad brush? Oh yeah...you enjoy stirring the pot. That’s why. Raegan’s comments were terrible. My point is, why is this a story in 2019 when he said it in 1971? We have enough other shit to focus on and fix in present day. 
    Why was Shadow of your Love a story in 2018 when it was recorded in 86-87?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    Does anyone here think or believe Obama talked like this about the white people of this country?
    I'm not sure what you are getting at...Reagan didn't say this about black people of this country either.  
    Wtf are you talking about. I was pointing out the facts about the statement. You are just being dishonest.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    When it was said doesn’t matter. Some people in America think ol’ racist Reagan was the second coming of Christ and he is still a staple for an Republican to “prove” how Republican they are by praising and quoting the guy. Was slavery not as bad since it was 400 years ago. “Different times man.” Racism and the abuse of humans was wrong then and it’s wrong now. Verbally and physically it’s wrong. And to hear someone that people immortalize and set as the Gold candidate for all who come after. Maybe it proves that ol Ronnie was a racist scumbag that shouldn’t be worshipped.

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Wtf are you talking about. I was pointing out the facts about the statement. You are just being dishonest.
    Ok I said my bad I thought there were black Africans living here in 1971 , you stated that Reagan was talking about blacks in other countries...
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2019
    I read from a credible source that is how they stir pots in Sweden...now let’s argue about it for 2.5 more pages :)
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    There is zero irony here. Do you even know what irony is? Your constant reaching for something, whatever, to throw out there "just because"sure is something.

And why are you, and your little friend @PJPOWER, always bringing in Sweden into the conversation? What has Sweden to do with Reagan and Nixon being racist in a phonecall? 

"We can't take people not just accepting our former presidents being racist so we have to attack a, in the context random, country as a defense"

ACCEPTING RACISM TO OWN THE SWEDES

I don't see the logic.