Options

US darling Ronald Reagan called black people "monkeys"

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
edited July 2019 in A Moving Train

Newly released tape reveals Ronald Reagan using racist language: 'Those monkeys from those African countries'

• Reagan said, "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"
  • Reagan's comments prompted laughter from Nixon.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-reagan-uses-racist-language-against-africans-in-released-tape-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

Something about the republican party's ideals makes them look down on people, being racist, not seeing the point of universal health care like THE REST OF THE DEVELOPED WORLD, denying women rights and denying climate change. Funny that party even is an option for people. Interesting that people would vote for them.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    As far as I can see is anyone surprised that kind of racist language goes on behind closed doors. It's STILL happening today starting with POTUS.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    The party of Jesus
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    Philadelphia, Mississippi isn’t lost on some of us.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Does anyone here think or believe Obama talked like this about the white people of this country?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Certainly a terrible comment to make.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    Does anyone here think or believe Obama talked like this about the white people of this country?
    If he did he gets a pass for the person he has become.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you are getting at...Reagan didn't say this about black people of this country either.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I think he thought Bonzo was a person to boot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    And to think this happened in the 80s, only 40 years ago,  about the same amount of time that passed since Scandinavia was complicit with the Nazis extermination of undesirables.  It really boggles the mind. 
  • Options
    Oh my bad.  71, 50 years ago... less time had passed since the war crimes. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    And to think this happened in the 80s, only 40 years ago,  about the same amount of time that passed since Scandinavia was complicit with the Nazis extermination of undesirables.  It really boggles the mind. 
    What has that to do with anything in this thread?

And you do know that two of the countries belonging to "Scandinavia" got invaded by Nazis... so you need to brush up on your geography and/or history.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mrussel1 said:
    The phone call in question was actually in 1971. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The phone call in question was actually in 1971. 
    Yeah I saw and corrected.  Thanks.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

And you do know that two of countries belonging to "Scandinavia" got invaded by Nazis... so you need to brush up on your geography and/or history.
    Its just astounding that sometimes people use horrible words.  And then other times,  people assist with genocide.  It's all terrible.  I didn't vote until 92 and wasn't even born in 71 though. Never liked Reagan either way, similar to many Americans.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And you do know that two of countries belonging to "Scandinavia" got invaded by Nazis... so you need to brush up on your geography and/or history.
    Its just astounding that sometimes people use horrible words.  And then other times,  people assist with genocide.  It's all terrible.  I didn't vote until 92 and wasn't even born in 71 though. Never liked Reagan either way, similar to many Americans.  
    No one said you did... you come off a bit like Trump now with this projection-sounding thing coming out of nowhere or like the guilty people in Murder She Wrote that can't help themselves from talking too much when Mrs Fletcher is in the room...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No one said you did... you come off a bit like Trump now with this projection-sounding thing coming out of nowhere or like the guilty people in Murder She Wrote that can't help themselves from talking too much when Mrs Fletcher is in the room...
    I didn't watch old people TV in the 80s. Maybe make a Hart to Hart reference though.  
  • Options
    Never ok to say.  This seems strange to release as it was 1 line from 50 years ago.  

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Comment is made in 1971; I am trying to understand why this is a story.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Just thinking about my own life and some of the shit I’ve said, glad it wasn’t recorded. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Im pretty most of our parents made a disparaging remark in 71, regardless of the country of origin. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Never ok to say.  This seems strange to release as it was 1 line from 50 years ago.  

mcgruff10 said:
    It was removed from the audiorecording up till Reagans death because someone thought it would be a story and show Reagan/Nixon as shitty. 

I don't know why it hasn't come out till now though - maybe no one had reason to listen through it after it not being classified anymore until now?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Im pretty most of our parents made a disparaging remark in 71, regardless of the country of origin. 
    When being in a call with the President?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My dad never had a call with Nixon to my knowledge,  so I can't say for sure.   
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    He never said anything about having been on the phone with a non-crook?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    He never said anything on having been on the phone with a non-crook?
    I don't understand this sentence. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    Slow news day I guess?  This kind of stuff gives me a bad taste for the media and their constant pot stirring.  If I said “hey, Lincoln said some pretty racist shit” (which he did), is it really going to blow anyone’s mind at this juncture?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Slow news day I guess?  This kind of stuff gives me a bad taste for the media and their constant pot stirring.  If I said “hey, Lincoln said some pretty racist shit” (which he did), is it really going to blow anyone’s mind at this juncture?
    Ace Frehley uses "at this juncture" so often it has become a meme in the KISS community.

And, why be so defensive of Reagan? Why not report on him having said black people were monkeys who couldn't even tie their shoes? It obviously adds a new perspective on the man. Or is racism so normalised to you two that you feel the need to take this defensive position?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ace Frehley uses "at this juncture" so often it has become a meme in the KISS community.

And, why be so defensive of Reagan? Why not report on him having said black people were monkeys who couldn't even tie their shoes? It obviously adds a new perspective on the man. Or is racism so normalised to you two that you feel the need to take this defensive position?
    Philadelphia Mississippi.  We're all way ahead of you. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And, why be so defensive of Reagan? Why not report on him having said black people were monkeys who couldn't even tie their shoes? It obviously gives a new perspective. Or is racism so normalised for you that you two need to take this defensive position?
    Defensive?  I have no doubt that Reagan said something like this back then.  Was it more normalized for people to say things like that in 1971?  Probably so...Would a statement like that be acceptable now?  Maybe in Sweden.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Philadelphia Mississippi.  We're all way ahead of you. 
    Bro I ve had kids crying after I taught that lesson. You can hear a pin drop when I am going through my presentation.  That is some rough stuff right there. Did you see that mrs Bryant admitted to making the whole thing up?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......