Options

What do you think about people who don't like songs like Cropduster and You Are?

JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
edited July 2019 in The Porch
Just for the sake of it.

*oh, and by "glass" I actually mean glaze/icing. Sorry.

What do you think about people who don't like songs like Cropduster and You Are? 21 votes

They deserve to be allowed to have only donuts without glass for the rest of their lives.
14%
redsfan1Crewaurelgugus 3 votes
They deserve to be flogged with Matt Cameron's sticks, every day for half an hour, while Bon Jovi is blasting from the radio.
23%
lastexitlondonfoodboyJammalamboHesCalledDyerJojoRice 5 votes
They deserve to french kiss with Donald T.
23%
NewJPagebootlegger10RE658041EsbenHansenCrackSkull 5 votes
All of the above.
33%
dannytbergspearljammr78DW139059booboolisciousjimjam1982Glorified KC 7 votes
I don't like these songs, so I deserve all or some of these punishments.
4%
RoleModelsinBlood31 1 vote
Post edited by Jammalambo on

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    I'm a fan of You Are
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    I like Cropduster. Hate You Are.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited July 2019
    @mcgruff10 this ones for you!

I like both songs but both of them are crowd killers imo. Cropduster more so than You are. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited July 2019
    PJNB said:

I like both songs but both of them are crowd killers imo. Cropduster more so than You are. 
    lol.  I agree with you that both songs are total crowd killers.   
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    I enjoy the songs when I'm in the right mood, but they are total momentum killers at shows... same for My Education.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    They fit okay within the context of their album but don't hold up as well to the rest of their work.
  • Options
    They deserve to be flogged with Matt Cameron's sticks, every day for half an hour, while Bon Jovi is blasting from the radio.
    Interesting... I think they are two of the best songs they have in their catalog. I'm serious. I never get tired of them. Great, original riffs and guitar work. Short but killer solo from Mike in Cropduster, and his guitar sounds in You Are (especially live) do things to me that even a picture of Jessica Alba naked couldn't do (and I'm straight). Strong lyrics. What more can you wish for in a PJ song? Absolutely disagree with them being "crowd/momentum killers" at shows. They are not Sirens, with all those people at shows singing along to that cheesy "ah-ah-oh-oh" outro.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Cropduster I like , You are does zero for me it’s my beer brake ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Sorry didn’t vote I really don’t care who likes it or who doesn’t like any of their songs , I’m not even sure I like these songs either haven’t listened to any PJ since 2016 at the 1st Fenway show .,
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I love both tracks. So much depth to the songwriting IMO
  • Options
    Sorry didn’t vote I really don’t care who likes it or who doesn’t like any of their songs , I’m not even sure I like these songs either haven’t listened to any PJ since 2016 at the 1st Fenway show .,
    I don't care about it, too... it's all for fun (didn't think I needed to specify it). It's just that I know there are a lot of people on here who seem to not care at all for these songs, or downright hate them. I always wondered why, because the elements of what makes a PJ song great are all there, imo.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    All of the above.
    Both songs are better than Mankind. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    That's what I'm talking about, man..  So much good stuff happens in these tracks. So much good stuff.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    That's what I'm talking about, man..  So much good stuff happens in these tracks. So much good stuff.
    Right?!?  I enjoyed Backspacer for what it was...a short, somewhat simple, straightforward rock/punk album with a couple other tunes sprinkled in. Lightning Bolt I also enjoy. Especially with a couple more songs with depth like Pendulum and Yellow Moon. But man...No Code through Riot Act...those are albums with DEPTH. So many interesting songs with off beats and warmth plus great guitar work (especially the combo of Stones riffs and Mikes solos). And then the songwriting of Ed. That’s the PJ I love most. I feel like Of The Earth has those elements and I have fallen in love with that song. Especially the TMR version with Jack White. I hope they get experimental and creative like that again on this next record. Again, I think there were glimpses of LB like Pendulum. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    All of the above.
    Really enjoy both on Riot Act and agree on your assessment of the musical depth from No Code - Riot Act. My favorite PJ years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Love You Are, like Cropduster. 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,541
    Both songs are fantastic.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    PJNB said:

mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

I enjoy the songs when I'm in the right mood, but they are total momentum killers at shows... same for My Education.
    “To go up on stage and play unknown songs for a handful of people as opposed to playing the songs that everybody wants to hear is really not in our best interests or the audience’s."
    - Paul Stanley

Don't fall into the Paul Stanley narrative.

https://youtu.be/X94TE2V268Q
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    edited July 2019
    JPPJ84 said:
    Love You Are, like Cropduster. 
    I especially love those moments when the intro of You Are vibrates in the arena, sounds so Pearl Jam to me.
  • Options
    Ghost is pretty damn bad too. I feel people like it only because it is such a rare song live.  
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 924
    I thought the world. Turns out the world thought me. Brilliant 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,932
    I like both songs and the entire Riot Act album as well. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 900
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ghost is pretty damn bad too. I feel people like it only because it is such a rare song live.  
    I’ve seen it live, not good.especially when there are about 200 better songs the band has
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    PJNB said:

mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

““To go up on stage and play unknown songs for a handful of people as opposed to playing the songs that everybody wants to hear is really not in our best interests or the audience’s."
    - Paul Stanley

I'm not falling into any narrative, I've witnessed firsthand how much Education kills momentum at a show.

It is what it is, and it's ok to admit.

• Options
    PJNB said:

mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

““To go up on stage and play unknown songs for a handful of people as opposed to playing the songs that everybody wants to hear is really not in our best interests or the audience’s."
    - Paul Stanley

I'm not falling into any narrative, I've witnessed firsthand how much Education kills momentum at a show.

It is what it is, and it's ok to admit.

Yes I have also seen education live and agree that all momentum was lost.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    :disappointed:
  • Options
    DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    All of the above.
    If You Are is played at a show, that show is under immediate consideration for getting the bootleg...  :rock_on::rock_on:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    I really like You Are
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    You Are might be my least favorite song.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2