Options

No one ever asks for the Spectrum bluray anymore...

...and it feels a bit sad:

https://youtu.be/3Hy8n98Gtrs
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Spectrum 03 bluray would be better
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Thread title reminded me of this....

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,376
    Hahahaha never seen that. Thanks for the laugh.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,465
    Even sadder that it’s blocked.  :cry:

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290
    A Gorge 05 bluray would also be amazing :)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    No one seems to ask for PJ20 bootlegs or videos either anymore. I guess those ships has sailed. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    They're available....
  • Options
    Not to be anal, but everything in that era is 480p, so you'll never get a blu ray of that, and you shouldn't, because the resolution isn't there.  
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    mrussel1 said:
    Not to be anal, but everything in that era is 480p, so you'll never get a blu ray of that, and you shouldn't, because the resolution isn't there.  
    Not that it would matter a ton with live PJ, but the audio would be higher resolution. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Honest question:  Is a Spectrum blu ray really that much better or is it just another way to get you to spend more money? 

I hate to sound like a cynic, but it seems like the quest for the ultimate perfection in sight and sound will only end when people's brains become digital machines.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    brianlux said:
    Honest question:  Is a Spectrum blu ray really that much better or is it just another way to get you to spend more money? 

I hate to sound like a cynic, but it seems like the quest for the ultimate perfection in sight and sound will only end when people's brains become digital machines.
    Have we ever gotten a "full show" in a high def format? Pearl Jams only released "full concert" is LATG(?) and that was on DVD in 03/04.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Not to be even more anal. But maybe they got the wrong equipment and shot in PAL. Then it would be 576p. 

And a side note:
    Pearl Jam should shoot a full show in 8/16/35mm. Just look at Nirvanas Live at the Paramount.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    mrussel1 said:
    They're available....

• Options
    brianlux said:

Have we ever gotten a "full show" in a high def format? Pearl Jams only released "full concert" is LATG(?) and that was on DVD in 03/04.
    Not official,  but I have Hampton 16 that's 98% 4k. I just don't have media to burn it,  so it's just stream file. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Not official,  but I have Hampton 16 that's 98% 4k. I just don't have media to burn it,  so it's just stream file. 
    Well ofc, and we've had some 720p festival shows pro-shot. And we have my "postcard from Europe 2018" compilation in 1080 p ;)

https://youtu.be/XrJhgscVMQY

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Well ofc, and we've had some 720p festival shows pro-shot. And we have my "postcard from Europe 2018" compilation in 1080 p ;)

Everything you strip from you tube is compressed, regardless of how they mark it.  Only using the source video achieves that level. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Everything you strip from you tube is compressed, regardless of how they mark it.  Only using the source video achieves that level. 
    Ofc it is compressed. Don't speak to me like I'm clueless. We are both editors working in that field having this discussion(?). Haha.
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,813
    Thats a great request spectrum live a last ,hopefully

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Ofc it is compressed. Don't speak to me like I'm clueless. We are both editors working in that field having this discussion(?). Haha.
    Didn't mean to offend you, but it's confusing that you linked a video that you called 1080, when in the notes the You Tubers are thanked, implying that the sources were stripped from you tube, ergo not 1080.  

• Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Didn't mean to offend you, but it's confusing that you linked a video that you called 1080, when in the notes the You Tubers are thanked, implying that the sources were stripped from you tube, ergo not 1080.  

Compression =/= pixel count.
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Dear Pearl Jam, When are you releasing the Spectrum shows on Blu-Ray?  Maybe a great 10th anniversary set?
    Please release the Spectrum Blu-Ray shows.
    Thanks,
    Chris.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Are you happy now? :)
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I don't do this professionally by any means, it's a hobby I do late at night at times, when my family goes to sleep.  But compression is compression.  It's akin to mp3 vs wav.  I'm hearing the same music, but the depth and richness are worlds apart.  The pixelation from cell phones and you tube rips are evident when burned to a blue ray and displayed on a HD tv of any normal size today.  That's really the point I'm making.  
    Didn't know you edited.  Do you use Vegas or Final Cut?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I don't do this professionally by any means, it's a hobby I do late at night at times, when my family goes to sleep.  But compression is compression.  It's akin to mp3 vs wav.  I'm hearing the same music, but the depth and richness are worlds apart.  The pixelation from cell phones and you tube rips are evident when burned to a blue ray and displayed on a HD tv of any normal size today.  That's really the point I'm making.  
    Not to be anal, but just to get this straight. Resolution is something different than compression. 

Compression is the same as "wav to mp3" - yes. But it has nothing in itself to do with resolution. A wav to an mp3 is still the same length. And a video can still be the same resolution after compressed. So the video uploaded to youtube is 1080 and the video shows at 1080. The source files are ripped in 1080 (so ergo 1080) and some in 720 (maybe some in 2K/4K, don't remember). But that has not anything to do in itself with compression. 

I use Premier at work and at home.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    😴😴😴😴
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Not to be anal, but just to get this straight. Resolution is something different than compression. 

Compression is the same as "wav to mp3" - yes. But it has nothing in itself to do with resolution. A wav to an mp3 is still the same length. And a video can still be the same resolution after compressed. So the video uploaded to youtube is 1080 and the video shows at 1080. The source files are ripped in 1080 (so ergo 1080) and some in 720 (maybe some in 2K/4K, don't remember). But that has not anything to do in itself with compression. 

Fair enough, like I said I don't do this for a living.  I am sitting on a full 4k Hampton (basically full) that is 135gb mp4.  It's pretty glorious.  I've never posted it anywhere.  I may put it up to share at some point. 

Probably the best concert video I've come across is a DMB 2018 show that he officially released several months ago as a Live Trax.  It's shot in 1080 but with clearly superior cameras.  But what's better is that they have two options for audio, 24/96 and TrueHD 5.1, which sounds amazing.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Fair enough, like I said I don't do this for a living.  I am sitting on a full 4k Hampton (basically full) that is 135gb mp4.  It's pretty glorious.  I've never posted it anywhere.  I may put it up to share at some point. 

Probably the best concert video I've come across is a DMB 2018 show that he officially released several months ago as a Live Trax.  It's shot in 1080 but with clearly superior cameras.  But what's better is that they have two options for audio, 24/96 and TrueHD 5.1, which sounds amazing.  
    I think the video from italy in 2006 would look pretty good (same Sony cameras as Star Wars was shot on, and we used at film school) if they cared about it, it looked like an upscale from a SD source on PJ20 for some reason.

The music videos for Riot Act was shot on film, so they should be able to release them looking fabulous also. But didn't for the PJ20 doc, I think an interlaced clip of Thumbing my way was included in the doc. But was a long time since I watched that doc. So could be wrong.

Too bad they didn't scan and released the VFC2004 live video in HD. Only that single layer DVD some people got.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I think the video from italy in 2006 would look pretty good (same Sony cameras as Star Wars was shot on, and we used at film school) if they cared about it, it looked like an upscale from a SD source on PJ20 for some reason.

The music videos for Riot Act was shot on film, so they should be able to release them looking fabulous also. But didn't for the PJ20 doc, I think an interlaced clip of Thumbing my way was included in the doc. But was a long time since I watched that doc. So could be wrong.

Too bad they didn't scan and released the VFC2004 live video in HD. Only that single layer DVD some people got.
    2006 Imagine in Cornice?  I don't recall being impressed with that film, but it's DVD so I never am.  PJ stuff is fine.  I thought LP2 was pretty well done (much better than the vinyl, which was meh).  The cameras in Chicago were good and rich, and didn't seem over saturated.   I just think Tom Petty, DMB and probably others, but I just know those two inside and out, do a much better job with all of their media vs. PJ.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

2006 Imagine in Cornice?  I don't recall being impressed with that film, but it's DVD so I never am.  PJ stuff is fine.  I thought LP2 was pretty well done (much better than the vinyl, which was meh).  The cameras in Chicago were good and rich, and didn't seem over saturated.   I just think Tom Petty, DMB and probably others, but I just know those two inside and out, do a much better job with all of their media vs. PJ.  
    Well it was at least shot on tape in full HD on whatever that SONY camera model was. So there is material that could be used for a HD release from those five italian dates. And I think the quality would be sufficient. With George Lucas using the camera on Star Wars (episode 2 at least) and all.

Yeah, heard the LP2 vinyl sounds bad from a friend. I liked that film - but would have rathered just taken the concert stuff. And Jeff Ament in the Gene Simmons shirt.

I wonder if PJ have any shows shot on film or tape from the early 90s. Nirvana had that Paramount video...

(Wasn't the 1995 show with Neil shot on 16mm... or maybe I misremember an interview I've read)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Killing the quote. 

I don't know about the Neil question.  Lp2 isn't terrible, it's just sort of lifeless.  The Mad Season/Seattle Symphony was worse, which is a shame.  Having an orchestra could have been a spectacular vinyl.  The DC vault and Easy Street are really good.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how good Easy Street sounds.