One thing I really appreciate with PJ live

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
edited July 2019 in The Porch
...after seeing Guns N Roses and Metallica, is the exclusion of tacky cheap 3D-animation and motion graphics synced up to the songs. 

Fucking playing in front of Windows 98 screensavers looping and made on the cheap...

Thank god for that. Much rather have a bird made out of junk than an After Effects tutorial playing in the background.

(Bring back the 2006 lasers though for Severed Hand)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I like their music when they play live. 
  • PJNB said:
    Good to see a non-hater opinion.  Just appreciate what they give us - I like it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    PJNB said:
    Good to see a non-hater opinion.  Just appreciate what they give us - I like it!
    So... mine was?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    for elton's last tour ever he def used cheesey videos/animation during the show and for some classic songs of his. total distraction that took away from the quality/poignancy of the moment, imo. still a great show....but then there's dead and company who use their screens to their fullest potential, with mind blowing visuals. somewhere i'm stuck in the middle again....
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I saw Metallica last month and it was amazing. It was different to Pearl Jam, but I really appreciated what they were doing. Just enjoy the music.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    edited July 2019
    PJNB said:
    Agreed. No theatrics, no lame moves (hello U2!), They just play.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited July 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Agreed. No theatrics, no lame moves (hello U2!), They just play.  

:)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • for elton's last tour ever he def used cheesey videos/animation during the show and for some classic songs of his. total distraction that took away from the quality/poignancy of the moment, imo. still a great show....but then there's dead and company who use their screens to their fullest potential, with mind blowing visuals. somewhere i'm stuck in the middle again....
    Roger Waters' show was mind blowing and it had lots of video and that sort of stuff.
    Think it just depends, so I agree with you.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    for elton's last tour ever he def used cheesey videos/animation during the show and for some classic songs of his. total distraction that took away from the quality/poignancy of the moment, imo. still a great show....but then there's dead and company who use their screens to their fullest potential, with mind blowing visuals. somewhere i'm stuck in the middle again....
    Roger Waters' show was mind blowing and it had lots of video and that sort of stuff.
    Think it just depends, so I agree with you.
    ofc it depends. NIN has always been killing it in the visuals departments. 

Notice I said "tacky cheap". Not visuals in general.
  • hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 126
    I’m glad PJ don’t use almost any visuals, I think the most visuals you use the less flexibility you have in terms of setlist.
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • I'm generally not a fan of visuals on screens, but for what PJ charges they could at least up their lighting game!  Their lights are pedestrian and could use an update to vibe with the music.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
    I'm generally not a fan of visuals on screens, but for what PJ charges they could at least up their lighting game!  Their lights are pedestrian and could use an update to vibe with the music.
    They can start with having screens in color
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514
    I loved the  lights 
     Just enough for me
     You are was visually great. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I loved the  lights 
     Just enough for me
     You are was visually great. 
    Agree!
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    this band is about substance not filler. straight on rock show. art at its finest. just enough lights etc. its always been more about the music for these guys than the stage show.  as good as anything i have seen since 1973. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,073
    I do appreciate that live pj is about the music but my first show was pre-screen and it was hard to see much from the uppers. Seeing them in Missoula last year with the big screens and being only like 30 ft from the stage made the experience way cooler, felt more like a part of the concert rather than an observer