Howard Stern wants Eddie Vedder on his show.

2»

Comments

• faithful2youfaithful2you Posts: 779
    CROJAM95 said:
    Howard is terrific, the show has changed a bunch over the years. I don't think this will ever happen, but I bet the 2 of them would have a nice conversation away from the mic.
    Howard stern is the best interviewer. He has made Miley Cyrus, Sia, and lady Gaga seem awesome to me. Great style, great content. And gets these people to actually be people for a little while. 
    CROJAM95 said:
    Howard is terrific, the show has changed a bunch over the years. I don't think this will ever happen, but I bet the 2 of them would have a nice conversation away from the mic.
    Howard stern is the best interviewer. He has made Miley Cyrus, Sia, and lady Gaga seem awesome to me. Great style, great content. And gets these people to actually be people for a little while. 
    The best interview I've ever heard from Stern was him getting Paul McCartney to talk about the first time he had sex after his wife Linda died. That's some pretty deep stuff. 

"And before we began, I sorta looked up and thought "Hey Linda-bell, what do you think of all this? I hope this is alright." 
    He did awesome with Dave Grohl too.   He's a great interviewer if you like him or not.   He asks tough questions and gets people talk to him.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    The best interview I've ever heard from Stern was him getting Paul McCartney to talk about the first time he had sex after his wife Linda died. That's some pretty deep stuff. 

"And before we began, I sorta looked up and thought "Hey Linda-bell, what do you think of all this? I hope this is alright." 
    He did awesome with Dave Grohl too.   He's a great interviewer if you like him or not.   He asks tough questions and gets people talk to him.

Interviewees also love talking to him... he really is the best. I can't stand the whack pack stuff, or really anything else on his show outside of the News w/ Robin, but as an interviewer, I don't think anyone can compare to Stern.

I would still be shocked if EV was to do this though, I Just don't see it happening.  

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    The segment might only be nione minutes long.
    NIONE NIONE NIONE
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Let’s be honest. Ed can barely talk in coherent sentences. He mumbles a lot and seems to gets lost in thought a lot. Probably why he doesn’t do many interviews. I love it though. A good Ed ramble always makes me smile. 
    Oh and I LOVE the Howard Stern show.  
    Last thing. Uncle Neil has been on the show. Great interview. But it will never happen. Oh well. I’ll just continue to listen and love both things separately. I say this with Peace and love. Peace and love. 
  • Tsunami 
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    edited July 2019
    Tsunami 
    Could you get me some hot water? Hot water? 

Dry oatmeal.

(A brilliant phony - phone call https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgXfE6JuJc
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 966
    for those with distaste for Howard based on the past, I get it. But I can say 100% the newer version is nothing like the past. Howard interviews A-list stars effortlessly as well as top musicians all the time. He is hands down the best interviewer as of today and that is why people who used to stay away now go on the show. Seems most walk away thanking him for something different than the same old questions. I think Ed would actually walk away very surprised myself.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,542
    DEGBTI said:
    for those with distaste for Howard based on the past, I get it. But I can say 100% the newer version is nothing like the past. Howard interviews A-list stars effortlessly as well as top musicians all the time. He is hands down the best interviewer as of today and that is why people who used to stay away now go on the show. Seems most walk away thanking him for something different than the same old questions. I think Ed would actually walk away very surprised myself.
    agreed...no reason why Ed wouldn't love it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Even if howard changed in the last 10 years and doesnt pry into carnal stuff...  EV has a lot of walls and doesn't seem to like to be prodded about stuff.  I cant see him really offering anything interesting, and if Howard tried to go into interesting areas, EV might/probably will get irritated.  He isnt built for a live open-source interview format... which is cool.  Grohl likes to chitchat into a mic and hear his own voice.  EV, not so much.

As someone said, I would love to be a fly on the wall at a social gathering when these two meet.  I think they do have quite a bit in common presently.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,542
    MayDay10 said:
    Even if howard changed in the last 10 years and doesnt pry into carnal stuff...  EV has a lot of walls and doesn't seem to like to be prodded about stuff.  I cant see him really offering anything interesting, and if Howard tried to go into interesting areas, EV might/probably will get irritated.  He isnt built for a live open-source interview format... which is cool.  Grohl likes to chitchat into a mic and hear his own voice.  EV, not so much.

As someone said, I would love to be a fly on the wall at a social gathering when these two meet.  I think they do have quite a bit in common presently.
    same....I would imagine that there would be lines drawn prior to the live interview.  There would be plenty to discuss without getting too personal.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    edited July 2019
    MayDay10 said:

same....I would imagine that there would be lines drawn prior to the live interview.  There would be plenty to discuss without getting too personal.  
    Stern is all about personal though. 

Marc Maron is a better choice for Eddie I would think, as seen by his many interviews with musicians. He cares more about the nerdiness of it all, than "so, tell me about the groupies. It must have been insane? Was it insane? The groupies? They must have thrown themselves at you like wild dogs. Right, Robin? Did you ever try to get backstage at a Pearl jam show in the 90s? I bet you did"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    I remember years ago Stern talked about PJ and his remark was towards Vedder and a stuper of an interview he did on MTV.

Stern says "Shut up and sing Eddie" to which Stern wouldn't want to do an interview w him.

My how the tides turn 20+ years later.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    MayDay10 said:

Stern is all about personal though. 

Marc Maron is a better choice for Eddie I would think, as seen by his many interviews with musicians. He cares more about the nerdiness of it all, than "so, tell me about the groupies. It must have been insane? Was it insane? The groupies? They must have thrown themselves at you like wild dogs. Right, Robin? Did you ever try to get backstage at a Pearl jam show in the 90s? I bet you did"
    I could really see him dwelling on Cobain and Cornell's deaths which would also be a no-fly zone I think.
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    It would be safe for EV now vs in the 90s.  Howard would kiss his ass.  The only thing he may do which wouldn't be difficult is to get him to insult Trump like he did with Bill Maher.  Other than that it would be softball questions and I would enjoy it being a fan of both.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • MP188882MP188882 Posts: 62
    Seems to me that Ed is more likely to do Dave's new show on Netflix before he grants Howard an audience. Plus, Howard's past and ongoing approach to women is not likely to curry favour with Ed's present sensibilities. If we know anything about Ed, it's that he rarely opens himself up for interviews (the last longform interview I recall is 2006 with RS), is highly political in making these kinds of choices, and prizes control. What does Ed get out of this interview that he doesn't already have? 
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    love stern but would much rather hear him (or any of the guys) on maron.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Let’s face it. We have all gotten old. Howard has matured and our favorite band is now more or less a nostalgia act. The fire is gone. It’s sad to say but these 30 years have been life changing and Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band but the days of consistent album releases and touring are done. I loved the Lighting Bolt album and will probably love the next album as long as it’s not Backspacer part 2. So just like as you get older hanging with friends happens less and less. So does our band and what we crave. And to bring it all around. So does Howard with his never ending vacation schedule and 3 day work week. All good things must come to an end but at least we have 30 years of magic. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    Let’s face it. We have all gotten old. Howard has matured and our favorite band is now more or less a nostalgia act. The fire is gone. It’s sad to say but these 30 years have been life changing and Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band but the days of consistent album releases and touring are done. I loved the Lighting Bolt album and will probably love the next album as long as it’s not Backspacer part 2. So just like as you get older hanging with friends happens less and less. So does our band and what we crave. And to bring it all around. So does Howard with his never ending vacation schedule and 3 day work week. All good things must come to an end but at least we have 30 years of magic. 
    This post feels like one of those late direct to video Hellraiser Movies Where they took existing horror scripts and hamfisted in 2-3 scenes with Pinhead to be able to sell it as a Hellraiser movie. 

”Eddie doing an interview with Stern” is the Pinhead part of your post. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    If you want to see what Howard is like now and dont have access to Sirius, check out Conan O'Brien's podcast Conan Needs a Friend, and listen to the interview with Howard, and he speaks very candidly and honestly regarding his style change over the years and has issues listening back to those interviews because of how he was then. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    I loved Howard back in the day, even stood on line for a day with my sister to get his book signed. I cringed at some of his stuff but I live right by NYC ant Howard Stern was popular. I don't listen to him now, he's not on the radio and I don't listen to much radio and don't have Sirius. I'm sure that his interviewing style has chilled out incredibly, but he still is Howard and you never know where he's gonna go. 

I can't see Eddie doing it. He has had walls up since the early days of Pearl Jam and I don't think they will ever come down. He is a very guarded person and I don't blame him. Actually it's sad that fame did that to him particularly of all the members. But it did. 

The only interviews I could see EV doing would be with people he is already friendly with, not a stranger. Not gonna happen. 
  • bobear05bobear05 Posts: 749
    Stern is the best at what he does. Eddie is the best at what he does. Howard would be able to get a lot of good shit out of Eddie!
    all and all it's no ones fault