Howard Stern wants Eddie Vedder on his show.

From 2013:

"Eddie Vedder has never done my show, I talk more about Pearl Jam, again more, than John Stewart, more than David Letetrman, more than Jimmy Kimmel. Eddie Vedder "oh, we can't get him" -- what do you mean we can't get him?"
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 966
    been waiting years for it to happen...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,542
    That would be a great interview.  Those two are a lot alike.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    edited July 2019
    maybe he's not willing to go on the show because they refer to him as "Eddie the lead singer from Soundgarden"
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Or that Howard Stern is a scumbag? :i_dunno:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 460
    edited July 2019
    I love Howard.  Listen to him daily.  He does like PJ and occasionally mentions them.  I think if he interviewed Ed it would be cringe worthy.   Listen to his first interview of cornell.   His lack of understanding of the settle music scene is evident.  Howard also has terrible taste in music.  Of course he likes some great stuff. He’s a huge stones fan (who isn’t).  But he really likes shitty pop.   I’d be curious if he’s ever listened to Binaural or No Code. 
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    Eddie doesn't really do interviews.   If they did their homework they'd realize it's like searching for a white whale? :)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    dr122931 said:
    I love Howard.  Listen to him daily.  He does like PJ and occasionally mentions them.  I think if he interviewed Ed it would be cringe worthy.   Listen to his first interview of cornell.   His lack of understanding of the settle music scene is evident.  Howard also has terrible taste in music.  Of course he likes some great stuff. He’s a huge stones fan (who isn’t).  But he really likes shitty pop.   I’d be curious if he’s ever listened to Binaural or No Code. 
    Listened to Marc Marons interview with Cornell?

Eddie should do that one, if any podcast/radio. 

But I don't think Sterns thing is to know of and be on the level with the guest, but asking interesting and a left-fieldish questions Rolling Stone wouldn't ask.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Would love for this interview to happen. Been waiting for this to happen for years. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    edited July 2019
    It will not happen.  
    Vedder is not going to agree to go on a live interview with no control, especially with an interviewer who is known for diving deep into personal matters.  It is not Stern's style to grant preconditions and boundaries to interviewees.  I dont think it would go real well.  Vedder would clam up when pressed on certain topics and Stern pries.  I could see it getting a bit uncomfortable

I stopped listening to Stern maybe about 2010-ish?  At the time, I sensed that with a mutual circle of friends (David Lynch and such) that Stern had been exposed to Vedder and Pearl Jam.  I know there was a big Who tribute event, Stern's a big Who fan and he commented how Pearl Jam absolutely killed it.  Vedder started to mention PJ a bit and they seemed to use them as a bumper more often.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077

I love Stern as an interviewer, but some of his other antics go a bit too far for my liking.

TBH, I can't really see Eddie sitting down with him, but I hope I'm wrong about that. I'm sure it would be a great interview.

• bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    The segment might only be nione minutes long.
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    MayDay10 said:
    It will not happen.  
    Vedder is not going to agree to go on a live interview with no control, especially with an interviewer who is known for diving deep into personal matters.  It is not Stern's style to grant preconditions and boundaries to interviewees.  I dont think it would go real well.  Vedder would clam up when pressed on certain topics and Stern pries.  I could see it getting a bit uncomfortable

I stopped listening to Stern maybe about 2010-ish?  At the time, I sensed that with a mutual circle of friends (David Lynch and such) that Stern had been exposed to Vedder and Pearl Jam.  I know there was a big Who tribute event, Stern's a big Who fan and he commented how Pearl Jam absolutely killed it.  Vedder started to mention PJ a bit and they seemed to use them as a bumper more often.

Stern's interviewing style has evolved quite a bit over the past 9-ish years since you stopped listening.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    deadendp said:
    Or that Howard Stern is a scumbag? :i_dunno:
    I'm a big fan.  In the 90's and early 2000's he was very abrasive. He has admitted to going to therapy for this and has huge regret for being such a wrecking ball with a lot of different people, including Robin Williams, Will Ferrell, and Rosie O'Donell.  I think if you listened to one of his newer interviews you'd get a sense that the Howard you are probably familiar with has not been around in about 15 years.  You'd probably be quite impressed.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    For those unaware, Stern has changed his interview style over the past 4 years, aiming to capture A-list guests and keeping away from the sexual questions he used to be known for, until the interviewee brings it up themselves. That's what this leaked you-tube seminar clip came from, where he basically met with his staff and informed them of his new philosophy. 

His musical interviews typically follow the same format, where he plays a clip of a song, says something like "remember this one" and then lets the artist discuss it a bit. Then he has them play 1-2 old songs and then their new song live in the studio. 

It works for a lot of artists and actors, but sometimes it goes too long and nothing really interesting comes from it. I don't think it would work with this band, as Howard really would only want to talk to Eddie, who I think would be the least vocal in the interview, and like others have stated, Howard will delve into areas these guys probably do not want to discuss. 
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Why would Ed place himself in a situation where someone (Howard S) is likely to make fun of him or embarrass him in some way?

The think the real question is:  "Why does anyone go on Howard Stern's show?" 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    edited July 2019
    I've never listened to Stern, only know him from all of his sexist contests and shit from back in the day.

But just youtube some of the recent interview clips he puts up, and there always great and laid back:

https://youtu.be/azq8ud8oiLY

https://youtu.be/gsSXS6g8OMk

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,323
    justam said:
    Why would Ed place himself in a situation where someone (Howard S) is likely to make fun of him or embarrass him in some way?

This comment is extremely dated. You must not have listened to a single show in the past ten years. 
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    nicknyr15 said:
    justam said:

This comment is extremely dated. You must not have listened to a single show in the past ten years. 
    You're right. I never listen to him.  I don't like his style of comedy.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,323
    justam said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    justam said:

I could dig that. 🤙🏼
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,542
    justam said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    justam said:

not trying to argue but the McCartney and Grohl interviews posted above are good examples of more recent interviews.  He might be one of the best interviewers around.

His Conan O'Brien interview was really good (and hilarious)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    SJD3232 said:
    maybe he's not willing to go on the show because they refer to him as "Eddie the lead singer from Soundgarden"
    No I think he's saying that showing Eddie that Cornell was on the show would be way to convince Eddie that doing the show is up his ally. 

But it wouldn't be up his ally. Eddie is too guarded and an interview between him and Stern would suck.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    SJD3232 said:
    It's saying show Eddie Chris' interview from the show. Should've put a comma in there or something
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    It's saying show Eddie Chris' interview from the show. Should've put a comma in there or something
    Or he could have remembered the name of Soundgarden's singer. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
    Howard is terrific, the show has changed a bunch over the years. I don't think this will ever happen, but I bet the 2 of them would have a nice conversation away from the mic.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    dr122931 said:
    Listened to Marc Marons interview with Cornell?

Eddie should do that one, if any podcast/radio. 

But I don't think Sterns thing is to know of and be on the level with the guest, but asking interesting and a left-fieldish questions Rolling Stone wouldn't ask.
    I would love an Eddie Vedder Maron WTF interview.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    igotid88 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    If you've ever listened to Howard he doesn't always remember names of guests he had on his show
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    If you've ever listened to Howard he doesn't always remember names of guests he had on his show
    When you make a PPT, or have an assistent make a PPT; you can always google it though :P 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    SJD3232 said:
    That’s not what it says. It says show Eddie pictures, etc if when the lead singer if soundgarden was on. Was on more than 1x I think and it was a great interview.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    CROJAM95 said:
    Howard is terrific, the show has changed a bunch over the years. I don't think this will ever happen, but I bet the 2 of them would have a nice conversation away from the mic.
    Howard stern is the best interviewer. He has made Miley Cyrus, Sia, and lady Gaga seem awesome to me. Great style, great content. And gets these people to actually be people for a little while. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited July 2019
    CROJAM95 said:
    Howard stern is the best interviewer. He has made Miley Cyrus, Sia, and lady Gaga seem awesome to me. Great style, great content. And gets these people to actually be people for a little while. 
    The best interview I've ever heard from Stern was him getting Paul McCartney to talk about the first time he had sex after his wife Linda died. That's some pretty deep stuff. 

"And before we began, I sorta looked up and thought "Hey Linda-bell, what do you think of all this? I hope this is alright." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com