I don’t get it

Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 664
edited July 2019 in The Porch
I saw Eddie Vedder last week in Dublin, where he played a mediocre show that was extremely expensive.
The fans lapped it up. We all queued for two hours to buy some expensive merchandise- and this is the bit I don’t get! The show was not my thing, I’m ok with that but I don’t get this overselling of merchandise. Fans will buy any old bull and I think Eddie and the boys should maybe draw the line with merch and concentrate on music. Kiss would shudder if they saw the amount of crap Pearl Jam produce for each show. I am guilty - I have been a merch junky but I am giving it up but I would ask my dealers to stop producing it and instead focus on maybe making some music, just saying  etc.
Post edited by Philip_Ireland on

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Classic. This horse must have nine (hundred) lives. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Classic. This horse must have nine (hundred) lives. 
    What does that mean?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    If it makes tickets and posters easier to get, I celebrate your new found abstinence 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,073
    Maybe seeing Ed solo just isn’t your thing? Last time I checked you don’t have to purchase any merch and it’s usually inconvenient to do so. The band doesn’t make money off of records, they make it off of tshirts and posters. Like it or not, bands as big as pearl jam have a lot of mouths to feed and this is one of the ways they do that
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited July 2019
    If you are using 2019 Pearl Jam as an “it is about the music” compass you are about 15 years too late.  They do the minimum they have to do to (a) pay their people, (b) pay themselves, (c) support their charitable causes, and (d) not to quit.   

This is is because they have been together 30 years.  

Find a new band if you want musicians playing for just the passion and integrity of the music.  The National would be a good choice.  
    The National would be a good choice.  

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    pjl44 said:

Ha.  There are other bands as well.  
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,555
    It's ok, any unsold or unpopular merch will be distributed through the mystery box process at $100 a pop. Which the fan club eats up quite gleefully, as the most recent mystery box sale indicates. So, no end in sight for the merch madness.
    pjl44 said:

Ha.  There are other bands as well.  
    Indeed! I couldn't help myself. 
  • BigrfishBigrfish Posts: 260
    It's ok, any unsold or unpopular merch will be distributed through the mystery box process at $100 a pop. Which the fan club eats up quite gleefully, as the most recent mystery box sale indicates. So, no end in sight for the merch madness.
    Mystery Box may not be for everyone but for the fan that misses out at the merch stand it is worth it. Not to mention a shot at a signed poster, baseball or guitar. Yes... It is a good way to reduce inventory, but for 100 bucks, you get a lot more than you would at a show.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Bigrfish said:
    Mystery Box may not be for everyone but for the fan that misses out at the merch stand it is worth it. Not to mention a shot at a signed poster, baseball or guitar. Yes... It is a good way to reduce inventory, but for 100 bucks, you get a lot more than you would at a show.
    Yep, a poster and two shirts would be $105 at a show.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    edited July 2019
    Bigrfish said:
    At a show you can decide what you want to buy and know how it looks though. 

And it's not worth it for European customers, because they have decided to not sell them through the European shop. And I get that, with them being made inhouse. But I did the mystery box-thing once for "the fun of it" but never again. Those extra charges (tenclub shipping + customs) kill you. Both economically. And spiritually. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514
    We have made our own problem thats how i see it. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    The title is don't  get it . But you do get it. And you have now chosen to stop. Thats a good thing  i think for you. And others it bothers. I know i sold 80%of my collection due to illness and divorce but never the less. You can partake or not.  I guess  is the  fact
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    We have made our own problem thats how i see it. 
    Ofc. we're feeding the beast.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I now just do what i feel at the time.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I saw Eddie Vedder last week in Dublin, where he played a mediocre show that was extremely expensive.
    The fans lapped it up. We all queued for two hours to buy some expensive merchandise- and this is the bit I don’t get! The show was not my thing, I’m ok with that but I don’t get this overselling of merchandise. Fans will buy any old bull and I think Eddie and the boys should maybe draw the line with merch and concentrate on music. Kiss would shudder if they saw the amount of crap Pearl Jam produce for each show. I am guilty - I have been a merch junky but I am giving it up but I would ask my dealers to stop producing it and instead focus on maybe making some music, just saying  etc.
    Merch is what John Connor taught us:

New music costs both energy and money.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    agree

danny d
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    It’s hilarious that there’s a new thread complaining about too much merch and one about not enough merch... 
    edited July 2019
    Its probably  because  we all come here for the love of pearl jam and there  is nothing  to talk about pearl jam really atm
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Its probably  because  we all come here for the love of pearl jam and there  is nothing  to talk about pearl jam really atm
    Not enough Terminator 2 talk though. I think.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Seriously 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Bingo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Bigrfish said:
    At a show you can decide what you want to buy and know how it looks though. 

And it's not worth it for European customers, because they have decided to not sell them through the European shop. And I get that, with them being made inhouse. But I did the mystery box-thing once for "the fun of it" but never again. Those extra charges (tenclub shipping + customs) kill you. Both economically. And spiritually. 
    You could say they cause spiritual chaos!  I don't buy the mystery boxes either because anything "mystery" I've ever gotten has either been a duplicate (both vinyl records, both posters) or some Seahawks-lookin bullshit (mystery shirt).  Plus 99% of the merch looks like total ass these days, so I certainly don't want a big box full of the crap.  But based on retail price alone & nothing else considered, it is a much better deal.  The downside is that it's also a much greater risk.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,979
    I don't get it either.  But I also don't care.  Let people buy the stuff if they want to.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077

The easiest solution is to not buy the merch, and if the shows don't do it for you anymore, find different shows to go to.

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    You can decide not to spend money on any of it.  That is always an option.

When things are too expensive for me, I just don't buy them.  It's simple! 

I think a lot of the posters are attractive and a lot of the merchandise is nice so at least they are offering things (people who have money to spare) will want to buy.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    FWIW, if I had been at that show, I would have waited in line for that poster, that thing is sweet.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843

The easiest solution is to not buy the merch

Agreed. I've been to over 30 PJ shows and have never stepped foot in a "merch" line. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com