Options

Why no HBO Chernobyl thread?

2»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    goldrush said:
    Finished watching it at the weekend. I thought it was really well made and I will definitely watch it again.
    I was 9 when it happened, and I can remember seeing the reports on the news in the UK, but obviously had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes. I appreciate that some of it was dramatised but it's still fascinating and terrifying in equal measure to watch, knowing that it really happened.

My brother actually visited Chernobyl and Pripyat in February for his 40th birthday. He's a photographer and likes to go to unusual places to shoot. For some reason he thought Chernobyl, and the exclusion zone, would be a good idea for a birthday trip!?!
    Was pretty crazy, I wrapped up on Sunday evening.  Shocking how government can drift so far from being something 'for the people' and become something 'to maintain position above the people' and all of the cascading results that can follow as a result.
    Should have been a whole lot of people hung after that...and the Doc who actually hung himself should not have been one of them.

Lots of parallels to some stuff we see today -- one of the ones which jumped off the screen to me was the bullshit death totals reported by the government.  Laughable, if not so tragic.
    Puerto Rico...on a much smaller scale but the ridiculous "treat everyone like that are dumb, look the other way, claim a super low % on death toll vs. reality" act was similar.

Disgusting.

Very well acted and an excellent, if somber, piece by HBO.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved