Wrigley 2 - 2018 - Gem or Dud???

2»

Comments

• Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Gem
    Without question this will go down as one of the most memorable nights for me. The rain, lightning delay, the tension from the crowd during the delay, etc... I personally thought the band came out with some fire intensity given the circumstances. I felt satisfied after the show considering the band gave it their all after having a 2013 weather repeat.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Somewhere in between
    It was a good show...the fact that we still got 29 songs after the weather delay was pretty awesome.  We are gonna be friends into come back was great.  Having been to all 5 Wrigley shows, they're all just kinda starting to blend together at this point.  Come back to the UC...going on 10 years!!!
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    Gem
    Top-five all-timer for me. Occasionally, I need reminding why I love this band so freaking much. Wrigley 2 was one of those reminders.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Gem
    100% gem.
  • Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 811
    I was on the rail so definitely a gem but the tension between Ed and Stone was definitely a distraction and now concerning. Most fans want to ignore it, but it’s real. Ed yelled/motioned at Stone a couple of times to step up. I’m guessing not play with his back to the crowd or basically next to Boom. 

Then everyone saw Stone leave the stage before the pic with the band. You’d maybe think he’d notice no one left the stage with him and come back out. Nope!

Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Somewhere in between
    PJNB said:
    3days said:
    I think calling it a dud is kind of harsh. A friend of mine loved it, but I thought night 1 was much better. I was bummed to find out that several songs had been scratched from night 1's set... Was more bummed when some of those songs were also left off night 2. I agree with those who said it felt rushed (not anyone's fault). Just wasn't one of my favorites.
    Watchtower and Gonna See My Friend would have been great. Comfortably Numb and YLed where the other two that I know of for night 2. 
    Night 1's final 3 songs were originally written to be:

Baba O'Riley
    Indifference
    Along the Watchtower

That would've ruled! When Watchtower was left off night 2 also, I couldn't believe it. Gonna See My Friend would've been a great addition. My rating it as okay has to do with song selection, AND a few other things. It's all personal preference, but the show seemed kind of clunky. For example, I would've preferred hearing a straighter version of We Are Gonna Be Friends without all the Cubs references. Night 1 just worked better.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Gem
    Just got this back, still going gem. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know it will never Happen but I d love to see the set list before the rain delay. I am assuming they changed it up due to the rain delay. 
    Don’t they have to get the setlist shirts printed before the show?
    i always just assume that in order to have them ready to sell by the next morning.
    And the fact they often have a song or 2 that wasn’t played seems to confirm that.
    N2 I believe had YL on the shirt that wasn’t played so I i always though that was the only change due to the delay.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    mcgruff10 said:

Got mine framed with almost identical matting right after the show.
    The wife and I can’t agree where to hang it so it’s still in the closet unfortunately.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Ray J. T. said:
    Without question this will go down as one of the most memorable nights for me. The rain, lightning delay, the tension from the crowd during the delay, etc... I personally thought the band came out with some fire intensity given the circumstances. I felt satisfied after the show considering the band gave it their all after having a 2013 weather repeat.
    LEASH!!  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,542
    Somewhere in between
    I was under cover for the rain so we got to watch the mad rush.  Maybe the rain bummed me out a bit....I wasn't real happy with the people around me, that was probably the bigger part.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • tup30tup30 Posts: 115
    Somewhere in between
    N1 and N2 were completely different, to me. I was near rail solo N1 and under cover in seating with friend N2. 

i was THRILLED N2 wasn't cancelled. it was pretty hairy there for a bit. 

loved both shows, but N1 had more early 90s gems which is in my old fart sweet spot. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Gem
    mcgruff10 said:

Great job man!  Looks awesome.  And I’ll forever remain in the gem camp too. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Gem
    I was under cover for the rain so we got to watch the mad rush.  Maybe the rain bummed me out a bit....I wasn't real happy with the people around me, that was probably the bigger part.
    I get it. Boston N1 I had people sitting down on their cell phones half the show in front of me. Makes no sense. Great show, had a great time, but that just bummed me out a bit. N2 I had a girl puking right in front of me. I’ll take that over people sitting on their phones...at least I know she was having a good time to that point! 😂
  • 1upstate1upstate Posts: 201
    Gem
    My first GA pit experience for PJ- 

Was about 3-4 back Stone side when we got booted. Have a difficult wife who could not understand why I was so adamant about being off last, trying to circle back, "I have to go to the bathroom" - ended up Stone side about 10-12 back, still great... 

Show seemed very rushed but I was good with it. I haven't been to dozens of shows so I can't really compare. I'm still in the group that's happy there's a PJ show 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • Gem
    How could ANY Pearl Jam show be a dud? Or maybe I'm in tour/album withdrawal.