Wrigley 2 - 2018 - Gem or Dud???

bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
Rain, a stampede to GA, crowd energy, forgetting lyrics, a never before played song, setlist, band tension (?), etc.  There seem to be all sorts of opinions on this one.  What camp are you in?

Wrigley 2 - 2018 - Gem or Dud??? 94 votes

Gem
57%
Father Hubbardpjhawksdarwinstheorymcgruff10igotid88maverickkathynekNWOntarioUseUrIllusionsdannyjnikolukinsfridge05Tim SimmonsMM20303MalrothYoukan FakoffmanitoumanRS65573biggamecbcRP112579 54 votes
Dud
15%
jdopjjimmyjamredsfan1nolanryneAP30511joberschlakeNM70698JB111896KN219077WSUFreakpawlowski1097nicknyr15D-RodaurelgugusJadler 15 votes
Somewhere in between
26%
cincybearcatAndySlashon2legstschav3daysjwhjr17gotthebottlepjsteelerfantup30Indifference71P34RL J4MM3RPA JammerpledgeagrievanceJimmyVMJ61879Gern BlanstenCP218430RoleModelsinBlood31ersarobuck502000 25 votes

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Gem
    Awesome venue, crowd and set. Friends into come back was the highlight for me. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,302
    Gem
    Standing in the rain in GA after the mad rush as they opened with GTF was a huge highlight for me. I'm not in the camp that says GTF is one of their best (sacrilege to some, I know) but that song at that moment was MONEY!

It did feel like there was definitely some tension but I'm not convinced any of it showed through the music. Visibly, it was there, but Ed was definitely energetic. As long as that tension doesn't carry through, I'm aiiiiiight with it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    Tension?
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,836
    Somewhere in between
    Setlist started off with fast pace (unlike most stadium shows), was a little chaotic (slightly bummed about my worse GA spot after the reset), but the energy was good all around - felt like people were willing their way (fans and band) to make sure everyone had each other’s backs to make it worth the rain delay.

If Wrigley 2013 didn’t happen, I might think higher about this show... but still very memorable.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,640
    Gem
    Not sure how anyone could call that a dud. The delay want that bad at all, and the GTF opener in the rain was a real treat. U > In My Tree > Immortality > Daughter/Its Ok stretch was incredible. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Gem
    Incredible show. The start to that show with the rain still falling in the background was killer. And the fast start the first 6 songs were on fire!  Throw Your Hatred Down, In My Tree, Patriot, We’re Gonna Be Friends AND Smile?!?  For me it was pretty fucking good night.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Gem
    my_wave said:
    Tension?
    Some speculation that Stone was pissed at Ed.  Stone was not on stage for the photo at the end of the show either. I personally didn’t sense any of that. I do think Stone may have given a few eye rolls with Ed forgetting half of Evenflow though. 
    Gem
    RS151862 said:
    Not sure how anyone could call that a dud. The delay want that bad at all, and the GTF opener in the rain was a real treat. U > In My Tree > Immortality > Daughter/Its Ok stretch was incredible. 
    Incredible stretch for sure! Smile >Evil Little Goat >Leash was awesome too. For me, the first 5 or 6 song run in the rain was the highlight. The energy release from the crowd during GTF gives me chills every time I listen to the boot. Brings me right back. “Made it out to Wrigley, felt the rain and the breeze.”  Wow! 
    edited May 2019
    Gem
    oh yeah, rain by the beatles was amazing.  Man I loved this show, besides the rain delay I absolutely loved every second of it.  I even enjoyed experiencing my first ever midwest thunder storm, holy shit!!!  You guys don't joke around with extreme weather lol.
    Gem
    I’m curious what made the show a dud, to any of the dud voters. Anything specific? 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,212
    Gem
    Awesome show. Lost about 15 rows or so in GA due to rain delay but still had a blast. Lots of gems played. Great night all around!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 493
    edited May 2019
    Gem
    PJ!!
    Post edited by Mikemzl91 on
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    bbiggs said:
    my_wave said:
    Tension?
    Some speculation that Stone was pissed at Ed.  Stone was not on stage for the photo at the end of the show either. I personally didn’t sense any of that. I do think Stone may have given a few eye rolls with Ed forgetting half of Evenflow though. 
    I definitely could argue there was tension. The second the show ended stone ran off the stage he didn’t bow with the band like usual. Ed was very sloppy that show. It was still very fun despite the delay. Had GA and honestly had a much better spot after the delay.
    Overall an amazing show when you listen back to the bootleg too. 
    Gem
    bbiggs said:
    my_wave said:
    Tension?
    I definitely could argue there was tension. The second the show ended stone ran off the stage he didn’t bow with the band like usual. Ed was very sloppy that show. It was still very fun despite the delay. Had GA and honestly had a much better spot after the delay.
    Overall an amazing show when you listen back to the bootleg too. 
    Maybe Stone just had to take a leak after the show. Who knows. Ed was definitely sloppy. I think he may have had a few pops backstage during the rain delay. Aside from being sloppy at times, I thought he was intense, in a good way. He came out on fire and the show rocked. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,302
    Gem
    Ed kind of reminded me of the "Urlacher" game against the Cardinals. Dennis Green's "they are who we thought they were" game. He put the team on his back took control of the game in the 2nd half.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,516
    Gem
    Ed kind of reminded me of the "Urlacher" game against the Cardinals. Dennis Green's "they are who we thought they were" game. He put the team on his back took control of the game in the 2nd half.
    https://youtu.be/ty0u4gqQNuI

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Posts: 576
    Dud
    Dud 4 pjs standards 

No doubt in my mind the rain delay stole the shows mojo. Setlist was below average, encore was average. Covers were not in my wheel house of covers. Best part was we are going to be friends- comeback then smile. Show felt rushed after the rain delay. 

Said it before one of my least favorite pj  shows I’ve been too. 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,323
    Dud
    Dud 4 pjs standards 

No doubt in my mind the rain delay stole the shows mojo. Setlist was below average, encore was average. Covers were not in my wheel house of covers. Best part was we are going to be friends- comeback then smile. Show felt rushed after the rain delay. 

I agree. I feel as if all of 2018 was a dud besides a handful of Europe shows. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Gem
    Loved the opening run on this one. Strong vote for gem!
    Gem
    Dud 4 pjs standards 

Well of course it was rushed, they had a curfew. 
    edited May 2019
    Gem
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dud 4 pjs standards 

Rushed or no show? I take rushed every time. It also did not feel that rushed to me. 
    Gem
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dud 4 pjs standards 

Rushed or no show? I take rushed every time. It also did not feel that rushed to me. 
    Same. I thought it was an awesome show but to each their own. 
    Gem
    I would argue the rain delay ADDED to the shows mojo rather than stole it.  
    Gem
    I know it will never Happen but I d love to see the set list before the rain delay. I am assuming they changed it up due to the rain delay. 
    Gem
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know it will never Happen but I d love to see the set list before the rain delay. I am assuming they changed it up due to the rain delay. 
    Good point! We will never know...
    edited May 2019
    Gem
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The guy beside me saw the setlist before long before the rain delay was official and spoiled it for me a bit talking to the girl he was with. After the show I somehow saw him again and asked him if they changed it up and he said no. Whether it was made that way knowing the delay would happen I am not sure. 
    Gem
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The guy beside me saw the setlist before long before the rain delay was official and spoiled it for me a bit talking to the girl he was with. After the show I somehow saw him again and asked him if they changed it up and he said no. Whether it was made that way knowing the delay would happen I am not sure. 
    Interesting! Another good point too. That nasty weather forecast was known well in advance so they probably wrote the setlist accordingly. No potential for severe weather may have produced a completely different experience. I like the one we got though! 
  • pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Posts: 576
    Dud
    I love the band. This show just did not do it For me. 

It’s okay 
    its okay .....
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Somewhere in between
    I think calling it a dud is kind of harsh. A friend of mine loved it, but I thought night 1 was much better. I was bummed to find out that several songs had been scratched from night 1's set... Was more bummed when some of those songs were also left off night 2. I agree with those who said it felt rushed (not anyone's fault). Just wasn't one of my favorites.
    Gem
    3days said:
    I think calling it a dud is kind of harsh. A friend of mine loved it, but I thought night 1 was much better. I was bummed to find out that several songs had been scratched from night 1's set... Was more bummed when some of those songs were also left off night 2. I agree with those who said it felt rushed (not anyone's fault). Just wasn't one of my favorites.
    Watchtower and Gonna See My Friend would have been great. Comfortably Numb and YLed where the other two that I know of for night 2.