Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Crazy"

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
This idea popped in my head this morning about common song titles used over-and-over again.  I thought it'd be fun to throw up a common song title on occasion and get opinions on who their favorite version of that song is.
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Crazy" 28 votes

Willie Nelson
21%
blacknapkinsbrianluxHobbesrummynjnancyGlorified KC 6 votes
Aerosmith
21%
Horse2345iammine16BLACK35OffSheGoes35ConorKavanaghJPPJ84 6 votes
Gnarles Barkley
7%
redsfan1eeriepadave 2 votes
Seal
46%
pjhawksdr. MowinckelcutzpjsteelerfanBIGDaddyWiltbergsHesCalledDyerDW139059ed243421F Me In The BrainhauntingfamiliarBlack,red,yellowSmsmartins18 13 votes
Other
3%
goldrush 1 vote

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited May 2019
    Seal
    I like some Willie...love some Aerosmith...not as much Celo, although that is probably the song I like best from him...but Seal gets my vote here.  (Like the concept for this, btw)

This is sentimental.  A girl I hung out with for a bit in college loved this song and there are some vivid memories of sportf&cking to this song.  Always a good song to hear!

side story - met Seal about 5 years later and we smoked together outside the restaurant we were both at - Seal smoke cigs?  Yes, at that point, he did.  He told me he was going onto the field for the 49ers home playoff game the next day, was flying up to SF after dinner that night.  Being a big Niners fan we spoke about that some.  I told him about my connection with his Seal record (especially Future Love Paradise, that was the topper) and he dug it.  Said he heard those stories all of the time.
    On his way out after dinner, he stopped at my table and shook my hand and said it was good to chat.  Very nice dude.  My buddies were like "did Seal just come up to you?  huh?"
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Aerosmith
    You romantic sonofab&tch!
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited May 2019
    Aerosmith
    Aerosmith has so many corny but great songs. This is one of them 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Willie Nelson
    I like some Willie...love some Aerosmith...not as much Celo, although that is probably the song I like best from him...but Seal gets my vote here.  (Like the concept for this, btw)

This is sentimental.  A girl I hung out with for a bit in college loved this song and there are some vivid memories of sportf&cking to this song.  Always a good song to hear!
    Depending on the response, I may continue to run with this concept.  There are several more I can run out there.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Seal
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F95dqXX_fJI

liked it when I saw Blizzard of Ahhh’s for the first time
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Aerosmith
    It was hard to choose between Aerosmith and Seal on this one, but I have to remain loyal to Aerosmith...unless the Aerosmith song in question is "Pink"---FUCK Pink!
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Aerosmith

side story - met Seal about 5 years later and we smoked together outside the restaurant we were both at - Seal smoke cigs?  Yes, at that point, he did.  He told me he was going onto the field for the 49ers home playoff game the next day, was flying up to SF after dinner that night.  Being a big Niners fan we spoke about that some.  I told him about my connection with his Seal record (especially Future Love Paradise, that was the topper) and he dug it.  Said he heard those stories all of the time.
    On his way out after dinner, he stopped at my table and shook my hand and said it was good to chat.  Very nice dude.  My buddies were like "did Seal just come up to you?  huh?"
    I also met Seal like 10 years ago. I was working at a big fair during my time at uni. I just knew I was supposed to go to a conference room and serve these people drinks. Came in and there was Seal. He wanted pickles. Who wants pickles at a fair?! Well we didn’t have any so I just made him a sandwich or whatever 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2019
    Seal
    One of the greatest songs ever written, by one of the greatest voices to ever live.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Seal
    JPPJ84 said:

I also met Seal like 10 years ago. I was working at a big fair during my time at uni. I just knew I was supposed to go to a conference room and serve these people drinks. Came in and there was Seal. He wanted pickles. Who wants pickles at a fair?! Well we didn’t have any so I just made him a sandwich or whatever 
    We were in Bel Air when I met him, so I'm guessing they got him pickles if he wanted them.  :lol:.      
    Willie Nelson
    Now I have Seal's version stuck in my head.  I'm kind of wishing I could change my vote.
    edited May 2019
    Aerosmith
    I think that they either should've had Steven Tyler sing the whole song with them or had no singing whatsoever, but I like it anyway...

https://youtu.be/FVEivB20gY8

And the original...
    https://youtu.be/NMNgbISmF4I
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Other
    It’s Afghan Whigs for me :smile:

Whatever did happen to your soul? 
    I heard you sold it 
    To some old boy who lived uptown 
    Who could afford it 
    So what's gonna happen to you now? 
    Therapy... The pharmacy 
    Crazy 
    That's what you'd like to believe 
    But it ain't easy 
    When yer goin' crazy 
    Over the rainbow
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Seal
    Easy vote for me. My favorite song from Seal and a great memory from high school. Gnarls would be my second choice and Aerosmith would be last unless we are talking about which has the hottest women in it. Alicia + Liv :heart:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Willie Nelson
    I like some Willie.
    :giggle:
    Seal
    Hobbes said:
    I like some Willie.
    Yeah buddy!
    Willie Nelson
    Hobbes said:
    I like some Willie.
    Yeah buddy!
    Image result for i love willies it crowd
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Seal
    I like this idea.  I went with Seal's version
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Willie Nelson
    Great thread idea!

Thumb's up all the way to the man who wrote this one. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Willie Nelson
    Willie Nelson, no question. 

Keep on driving your vegetable oil fueled bus filled with happy smoke, rockin' the pig tails and singing like no one else. :rock_on:
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Willie Nelson
    brianlux said:
    Great thread idea!

Thumb's up all the way to the man who wrote this one. 
    ...and to Patsy Cline for singing it (eventually).
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Willie Nelson
    Lots of "same name" songs in PJ catalogue but I guess we should avoid those ones. Most other songs wouldn't stand a chance!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Gnarles Barkley
    rummy said:
    Lots of "same name" songs in PJ catalogue but I guess we should avoid those ones. Most other songs wouldn't stand a chance!
    "One" would be a great one IMO :tongue:

Gnarls Barkley was the first one that came to my mind when seeing the song. Aerosmith's was decent. Forgot about Seal's version and not really familiar with most of Willie Nelson's stuff.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Willie Nelson
    This idea popped in my head this morning about common song titles used over-and-over again.  I thought it'd be fun to throw up a common song title on occasion and get opinions on who their favorite version of that song is.
    Great thread cdthomas1981

Here's a suggestion for another poll of this kind:  "I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" , written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart and covered by The Monkees, The Sex Pistols, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Minor Threat, Johnny Thunders, Sam Phillips-- just to name the better know artists among the many who've done it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Aerosmith
    ^^Good suggestion, brianlux! Great song!

Also, I like that this poll has an "other" option.
    Willie Nelson

Thanks, OSG!

I hadn't considered your pick of Aerosmith's version (which I have to admit I hadn't heard) so I figured I should at least check it out which I did.  I was quiet surprised to find this is not at all the same song as the one Willie Nelson wrote.  I hadn't really thought about the "same title" part of the OP heading, which a lends an added dimension to the game!

This could get really interesting because there are several song titles that are used for different songs (by the way, the same is true with books- you cannot copyright a book title.  Anyone could write a book called Gone With the Wind, Catcher in the Rye, or The Grapes of Wrath).  Some examples:

"Money":  Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.

"Surrender":  Cheap Trick, Elvis Presley

"Feel Like Makin' Love":  Bad Company, Roberta Flack.

It'll be interesting to see what shows up here!

Willie Nelson
    rummy said:
    I have a feeling PJ would win overwhelming if I did that :)
    Willie Nelson
    brianlux said:

Here's a suggestion for another poll of this kind:  "I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" , written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart and covered by The Monkees, The Sex Pistols, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Minor Threat, Johnny Thunders, Sam Phillips-- just to name the better know artists among the many who've done it!

Thanks brianlux!  I'll definitely take suggestions for future ones.  I'm thinking of putting one up every Friday morning.
    Aerosmith
    brianlux said:

Thanks, OSG!

I hadn't considered your pick of Aerosmith's version (which I have to admit I hadn't heard) so I figured I should at least check it out which I did.  I was quiet surprised to find this is not at all the same song as the one Willie Nelson wrote.  I hadn't really thought about the "same title" part of the OP heading, which a lends an added dimension to the game!

This could get really interesting because there are several song titles that are used for different songs (by the way, the same is true with books- you cannot copyright a book title.  Anyone could write a book called Gone With the Wind, Catcher in the Rye, or The Grapes of Wrath).  Some examples:

"Money":  Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.

"Surrender":  Cheap Trick, Elvis Presley

"Feel Like Makin' Love":  Bad Company, Roberta Flack.

It'll be interesting to see what shows up here!

Ha! You're right, that wouldn't go along with the original premise of the thread. I got all excited once you mentioned Johnny Thunders, he doesn't get mentioned often enough in my opinion. :smile:

If I remember correctly, malroth created a thread that was more like what you were describing. I'll see if I can find/bump it.
    Willie Nelson
    brianlux said:

Thanks brianlux!  I'll definitely take suggestions for future ones.  I'm thinking of putting one up every Friday morning.
    Excellent!

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Seal
    This whole album is fantastic!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit