Wearing PJ to Bonnaroo

GivenToFly982GivenToFly982 Posts: 46
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Like most people I want to go to Bonnaroo because I want to see Pearl Jam, especially since I live in the south and they haven't toured here in so damn long, although there are plenty of amazing acts I would like to see. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on wearing a band T-shirt to a concert where that band is playing. Whats the rule on wearing PJ gear to a festival like Bonnaroo? Do any of you plan on displaying your Pearl Jam colors? I'd like to show my love for the band but don't want to be singled out by asshole fans of another band (Metallica fans especially scare me.) Now, I'm not so sensitive that I would be upset if someone ridiculed me for supporting Pearl Jam, but I'd like to avoid being struck with a full water bottle from a drunken, belligerent dickhead who has a problem with the band I support. I'm not trying to be neurotic, but I'd like some input from veteran festival attendees. I'd also like to identify myself to fellow PJ fans and chat with others who love the band as much as I do...and even meet some of the fine folks on this board who may be attending. Let me know what you think.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I wear PJ shirts to concerts, who cares what people think.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • i'm not. well...maybe one day. Kinda trekkie maybe, but i dont care.

i wouldnt worry about metallica too much. what metalhead would want to pay $200 dollars and be stuck with a bunch of hippies for a weekend just to see a crappy has been like Metallica? Mastodon will probably have more fans than Metallica.
  • Do whatever you want. I would have no problem walking around there in a Pearl Jam shirt if my two tour shirts hadn't shrunk an unimaginable amount in the wash.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Ya wear whatever you want. If people want to judge they have a problem. Freedom of expression - dress how you wish. Or even if it's not expressing yourself and you wanna dress like a bum go ahead.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i took my 12 year old cousin to the gorge in 2006, and he wore a pj shirt... and i told him, "you're not supposed to wear a pearl jam shirt at a pearl jam show!"
    he said, "...why?"
    to which i replied... "you know, i really... don't know."
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    The older the shirt the better. Break out the Yield concert T's...
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    a different one for each day.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    You're going to bring a change of clothes, right?
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Where what you would like and place less value on the opinions of strangers. As for Metallica...I get the impression that people are thinking there will be a large contingent of conduct disorder kids because the band is playing, but it's not 1988.

The attendees are a peaceful bunch.

Wear what you want to wear, have more confidence in yourself.

Be okay with who you are, life is too short

Hope you have a good time
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i would not worry about metallica fans being assholes!
    the metro home in london after the metallica gig at wembley stadium was a much calmer and quieter affair than the pearl jam gig at wembley arena with 12000 people!
    metal fans get a bad rap, but they are sweet, and alot of them will be there rocking out to PJ's performance the night after for sure!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    The only worry I would have is ruining a good shirt. I almost always wear a concert shirt to shows. Usually my Boston WM3, as it is special to me.
    Otherwise it's a yield thermal.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,592
    Im wearing pj to work today! Excellent!!

I usually wear a normal white t-shirt and then put on the one I buy over it. Works out great!
    I will swallow poison
  • I will be wearing my Immagine in Cornice and/or 2003 tour tee and/or avocado 2006 tour tee on one of the days, so no worries. Ya gotta show the love for PJ amongst a hundred bands.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    aye, get it on, why the hell not??

PJ can at least say they are at the top of their game still making great music, Metallica by contrast do shows along the lines of - we'll play master of puppets in its entirety - revisiting the glory days long gone.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,041
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I wear PJ shirts to concerts, who cares what people think.
    I'm not usually "that guy" (from the movie PCU) at concerts, but I make an exception for PJ. Where what you want. I plan on making a T-shirt and wearing it- I don't want to mess up any of my PJ shirts.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    What? We're discussing what to wear and it's still four months away?

It's going to be hot as balls in Tennessee in June. I suggest you don't bring the YIELD thermal, Sprunkn7.

I hate the notion that you shouldn't wear the shirt of the band you're seeing. If I go to watch the Steelers play, I wear my Steelers jersey. If I go to an Obama rally, I might pick up one of his campaign shirts. If I'm off to see PJ, I have no problem sporting a Mr. Point or Bandwagon shirt.

Support your 'team' and the PJ community @ Bonnaroo if you want. Don't let others' opinion change who you are.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    rhinomagic wrote:

I hate the notion that you shouldn't wear the shirt of the band you're seeing. If I go to watch the Steelers play, I wear my Steelers jersey. If I go to an Obama rally, I might pick up one of his campaign shirts. If I'm off to see PJ, I have no problem sporting a Mr. Point or Bandwagon shirt.

Support your 'team' and the PJ community @ Bonnaroo if you want. Don't let others' opinion change who you are.

At a Steelers game the Steelers typically have an opponent; during an election a canidate also has an opponent. Who exactly is Pearl Jam's opponent at a concert? I think the reason someone might not want to wear a t-shirt of the band you are seeing is that you don't want to come across as the super fan-boy type who when having a conversation with someone isn’t able to talk about anything else other than Pearl Jam. If you are not worried about being mistaken for that type of person wear whatever you want.
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Whatever you wear at Bonnaroo, make sure it is not something you can't live without. If you have a super rare gig specific shirt, expensive hoodie, or your first ever PJ shirt, you might not want to where anything like that to Roo.
  • I can see myself taking my TenClub shirt just because its a little past its prime already, so a day of dust and sweat will only give it a little more character at this point
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • I have met some of the most wonderful people, by wearing a PJ shirt.
    At Bonnaroo, you are going to be at so many different stages, it's really nice when you have a PJ shirt on, and you can find like individuals to strike up conversation with.
    I think the bad rap on PJ tshirts comes from, the guy or girl who buys a brand new tshirt to go to that one show, and that's a bit obvious.
    I agree with what was said earlier, don't wear something you value, because you may not come home with it. But if you have PJ concert tshirts from previous shows you have been to, by all means let us see it! If it's really good I guarantee lots of people will want to talk to you about it.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • It's not like Metallica fans dont show up en masse in the band's shirts. Anyways I never want to be that guy at a show, but a festival is different.

and definitely the older the better.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Anyways I never want to be that guy at a show, but a festival is different.

I agree, I wouldn't wear a PJ t-shirt to a PJ concert at an arena where they are obviously the only band everyone is there to see. But at a festival, you're there to support your favorite band so whip out the tee.
  • HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    I've worn a Pearl Jam shirt to just about every "jam band" show I've been to including all the Bonnaroo's I've attended. I like to support the band when seeing other shows. Just like I wear a Widespread Panic shirt when I go see Pearl Jam.

I've always gotten a positive vibe or feedback about Pearl Jam when I've worn it at Bonnaroo. Met these cool kids one night after a Panic show and we stayed up all night talking about the power of Phish, Pearl Jam and Panic. It was great to see people who love music, not just an image, loving Pearl Jam.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    NeilJam wrote:
    Whatever you wear at Bonnaroo, make sure it is not something you can't live without. If you have a super rare gig specific shirt, expensive hoodie, or your first ever PJ shirt, you might not want to where anything like that to Roo.

Dirty Hippies will steal it? :eek:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    the general rule about wearing a band shirt for the band your seeing is:

-if the temparature is below 50 degrees and partly cloudy, it is a big no no. that makes the mood crappier and the band your seeing doesnt want to be associated with that.

-if the shirt has a stain or tear, then you cannot wear it, the security may kick you out.

-the older the band shirt, the better it is, just make sure its in good condition.

-if you just bought the shirt at the venue, you must wait until the concert is over to wear it, this way you don't look like a noob.

-lastly, NEVER wear a bootleg band shirt, it must be officially licensed otherwise the singer will yell at you.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • why do you want to wear pajamas to a concert?
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    The Yield thermal may work at night in TN!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!