To the Person Who Just Dropped 3k on Ebay for Hartford '98 Poster

Comments

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    CopperTom said:
    How would you know if a poster is a fake/reproduction anyway?
    If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be buying high end posters.

The paper it's printed on.

99% of the PJ posters were silk screened.  The difference between a screen print and something on a computer is night and day.  You can see/feel the layers on a screen and the ink can be almost "cahalky", is that a good word to describe it?
    Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I understand it’s easy to tell the difference between a silkscreen and a digital printout. I just wasn’t sure if the fakes were better than just a digital print. 
    There is talk that fake silk screen posters are out there.  It's not that hard if you think about it and have the means.
    Well, that would just suck to get a fake silkscreen. 
    That is just "talk" as I have yet to see and confirm one.
    Didn't fake Seattle 2004 silk screen posters exist?  You could tell real vs. fake since the fake did not list the small print text( i.e. Ames Bros design, Ceribellum Press).  
    I had to look that poster up.  Why on earth would that poster be faked?!?
    Only
    350 SE
    50 AP
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    CopperTom said:
    CopperTom said:

99% of the PJ posters were silk screened.  The difference between a screen print and something on a computer is night and day.  You can see/feel the layers on a screen and the ink can be almost "cahalky", is that a good word to describe it?
    Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I understand it’s easy to tell the difference between a silkscreen and a digital printout. I just wasn’t sure if the fakes were better than just a digital print. 
    There is talk that fake silk screen posters are out there.  It's not that hard if you think about it and have the means.
    Didn't fake Seattle 2004 silk screen posters exist?  You could tell real vs. fake since the fake did not list the small print text( i.e. Ames Bros design, Ceribellum Press).  
    Only
    350 SE
    50 AP
    Just because it's rare?  People are crazy.

Not the best I've seen and not the worst either.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    CopperTom said:
    CopperTom said:

Only
    350 SE
    50 AP
    Just because it's rare?  People are crazy.

Not the best I've seen and not the worst either.
    I believe the design was also featured on a shirt.  That boosts familiarity and that boosts demand.  This "tale" is probably a decade old or so.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited March 2019
    tommy boy said:
    heres an idea....print more posters...
    "taking food" from an artist. .. wow.  I would gladly buy an original from the artist, how many bags of cheetohs is a Hartford 98 worth?
    100 bgs, 1000 bags, 10,000 bags 100,000 bags of cheetohs...Where does it end...then maybe in 2 years (LOL) I can sell it for 100 Million bags of cheetohs!!!....

LOL.  God Bless us all.  PS, NEED A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NEED TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You've got kind of a good point, I have to admit. This game between increasing value through scarcity vs. demand vs. bootlegging just seems like a really stupid one to me. Print enough posters to meet demand. They don't have to print a million and make them worthless, but print enough so that nobody is inspired to replicate it. Also, what is wrong with reprints?? Why don't any of these artists and/or bands reissue some of these sought after awesome posters? I mean, if 10C released a second run of Pittsburg '13 posters and Hartford '98s and a bunch of the other most popular prints, they would clean up.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    Prices in general have been insane on Ebay.  And I am talking about completed sales. I also think Ebeans is not up to date. Their six month averages seem way lower than what I am seeing on Ebay.
  • Get_Right said:
    Prices in general have been insane on Ebay.  And I am talking about completed sales. I also think Ebeans is not up to date. Their six month averages seem way lower than what I am seeing on Ebay.
    You have to log in, then check price history.  That captures any recent sales.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ_Soul said:
    tommy boy said:
    "taking food" from an artist. .. wow.  I would gladly buy an original from the artist, how many bags of cheetohs is a Hartford 98 worth?
    100 bgs, 1000 bags, 10,000 bags 100,000 bags of cheetohs...Where does it end...then maybe in 2 years (LOL) I can sell it for 100 Million bags of cheetohs!!!....

LOL.  God Bless us all.  PS, NEED A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NEED TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You've got a kind of a good point, I have to admit. This game between increasing value through scarcity vs. demand vs. bootlegging just seems like a really stupid one to me. Print enough posters to meet demand. They don't have to print a million and make them worthless, but print enough so that nobody is inspired to replicate it. Also, what is wrong with reprints?? Why don't any of these artists and/or bands reissue some of these sought after awesome posters? I mean, if 10C released a second run of Pittsburg '13 posters and Hartford '98s and a bunch of the other most popular prints, they would clean up.
    1.  I don't know that PJ could ever print enough of a poster, because there will always be that asshat who buys up a stack even though it is limited to one or two.  You are going to have that merch employee who has heard people bitch about the limits all day long and they finally snap, say fuck it and sell the rest of the stack to the first guy who asks.  I think demand has been addressed, but people will always want more.  It doesn't really pay to have a million printed and to fill the 10c warehouse with a print that everyone has and no one wants any longer.  
    2.  My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that the artist is under contract with the band to print x amount for band, x amount for AP sales for them and that is it for that item forever.  It would probably be illegal for the artist to release any more prints without permission/commission of the band to do so.  
    3.  What is really wrong with a somewhat limited run?  Isn't like we are standing in line at the food bank and are going to go hungry if we all don't have something provided to us.  All artists have one-of-a-kind pieces, limited run pieces and their bread and butter stuff.  Posters aren't really bread and butter qualifiers in this case.  Bread and butter are shirts and other soft goods, pins . . . mass production stuff.  That's where our hero Mr TSURT comes in with his small size running apparel.  :weary:
    4.  PJ doesn't really need to clean up.  They have the money thing handled.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    deadendp said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tommy boy said:

You've got a kind of a good point, I have to admit. This game between increasing value through scarcity vs. demand vs. bootlegging just seems like a really stupid one to me. Print enough posters to meet demand. They don't have to print a million and make them worthless, but print enough so that nobody is inspired to replicate it. Also, what is wrong with reprints?? Why don't any of these artists and/or bands reissue some of these sought after awesome posters? I mean, if 10C released a second run of Pittsburg '13 posters and Hartford '98s and a bunch of the other most popular prints, they would clean up.
    1.  I don't know that PJ could ever print enough of a poster, because there will always be that asshat who buys up a stack even though it is limited to one or two.  You are going to have that merch employee who has heard people bitch about the limits all day long and they finally snap, say fuck it and sell the rest of the stack to the first guy who asks.  I think demand has been addressed, but people will always want more.  It doesn't really pay to have a million printed and to fill the 10c warehouse with a print that everyone has and no one wants any longer.  
    2.  My guess, and it is purely a guess, is that the artist is under contract with the band to print x amount for band, x amount for AP sales for them and that is it for that item forever.  It would probably be illegal for the artist to release any more prints without permission/commission of the band to do so.  
    3.  What is really wrong with a somewhat limited run?  Isn't like we are standing in line at the food bank and are going to go hungry if we all don't have something provided to us.  All artists have one-of-a-kind pieces, limited run pieces and their bread and butter stuff.  Posters aren't really bread and butter qualifiers in this case.  Bread and butter are shirts and other soft goods, pins . . . mass production stuff.  That's where our hero Mr TSURT comes in with his small size running apparel.  :weary:
    Of course I'm suggesting it be done legally. I.e. 10C and the artists work something out. Why wouldn't they? It's just more money for them in their pockets.
    I do think there is a point where flippers no longer have a real impact. That's the way it is with records, so I don't see why it wouldn't be with posters.
    What is wrong with a limited run is that people who are actually at these shows can't even get a poster they want, and that's after lining up for hours to try and get one. That is just pure shoddy treatment of the fans IMO. It's bullshit. At least sell each ticket with the option to get a poster, if guessing the demand is too hard for them for some reason.
    And reissuing posters... well, why the hell not? They do it with vinyl. Again, of course they'd have to work out a deal with the artist. But what artist would refuse??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    deadendp said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tommy boy said:

Of course I'm suggesting it be done legally. I.e. 10C and the artists work something out. Why wouldn't they? It's just more money for them in their pockets.
    I do think there is a point where flippers no longer have a real impact. That's the way it is with records, so I don't see why it wouldn't be with posters.
    What is wrong with a limited run is that people who are actually at these shows can't even get a poster they want, and that's after lining up for hours to try and get one. That is just pure shoddy treatment of the fans IMO. It's bullshit. At least sell each ticket with the option to get a poster, if guessing the demand is too hard for them for some reason.
    And reissuing posters... well, why the hell not? They do it with vinyl. Again, of course they'd have to work out a deal with the artist. But what artist would refuse??
    Definitely a valid point revisited with the ticket-poster option.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,636
    Not a fan of reprints unless they’re just 8x10 or something. 
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'm not sure why they won't let artists do a 2nd edition of a poster if it turns out to be hot seller...
    especially if the fans really want them.
    My Morning Jacket & poster artist Clinton Reno have done several 2nd editions after the posters sold out at a show...
    2 from recent shows that I've attended.
    MMJ sold the 2nd edition in their web store & allowed Clinton to sell them on his website as well.
    I think it's interesting how Emek does the mini-prints & Prints On Wood using the same image,
    just without the band name attached.
    I'd love to see what the folks at Prints On Wood could do with the Pittsburgh '13 image. 

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Mac57Mac57 Posts: 265
    Ames just makes em bigger 2X, 3X
    2008 MSG I & II
    2010 Newark, MSG I
    2013 Wrigley Field, Brooklyn I & II, Hartford, LA I & II, San Diego
    2014 Detroit, Moline, St. Paul & Milwaukee
    2015 Ed Sullivan Theater/ Central Park
    2016 FTL, Miami, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1
    2017 RRHOF
    2018 Seattle I & II, Missoula, Boston I & II
    2022 Apollo, MSG, Camden, Nashville & St. Louis
    2023 St.P. 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Mr. Fixer said:
    BF89905 said:
    $3,000.00 for a concert poster is obsurd
    I know, it is completely krazy
    I think it is ensane!
  • tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    Thank you for the Chester Cheetoh Rollio...fn epic. 
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    Cheetos are delicious.
    derbydave said:
    I'm not sure why they won't let artists do a 2nd edition of a poster if it turns out to be hot seller...
    especially if the fans really want them.
    My Morning Jacket & poster artist Clinton Reno have done several 2nd editions after the posters sold out at a show...
    2 from recent shows that I've attended.
    MMJ sold the 2nd edition in their web store & allowed Clinton to sell them on his website as well.
    I think it's interesting how Emek does the mini-prints & Prints On Wood using the same image,
    just without the band name attached.
    I'd love to see what the folks at Prints On Wood could do with the Pittsburgh '13 image. 

Oh, that Prints On Wood piece is delicious. 
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    Cheese Doodles are where it's at.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,742
    Dont eat Cheetos then handle your posters.
    Loujoe said:
    Or hot wings...
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2019
    The only people against commissioned artist reprints are collectors (and flippers, I suppose). They like to think that market value and rarity actually mean something when all of this shit is just going to wind up going for next to nothing at an estate sale when all the collectors are dirt in the ground.

"Oh, the Pearl Jam posters. You can take 'em all for $20, and I'll throw in the records for free."
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    Nice, I'll have to check that out.
    Loujoe said:
    Very true, LOL!
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Big fan of this poster.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    Go with Crunchy.  There is no other substitute...
    https://www.wisesnacks.com/products/cheez-doodles/crunchy/
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    Um, Cheetos Crunchy.  There will be no off brand snacks.  :nuh_uh:
    deadendp said:
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    No damn cheetos!  Crunchy Cheez Doodles!!!
    Image result for cheese doodles
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    If you put the puffs in a warm oven (250-300) for five minutes, you've got something extremely delicious.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    If you put the puffs in a warm oven (250-300) for five minutes, you've got something extremely delicious.
    Hmmmm.  I'm not a big doodle purchaser but I can do that to see what might happen . . . 

@tempo_n_groove  For the record, cheese doodles are puffy and not crunchy.  That could be a regional thing or just Ohio, but for me DOODLES ARE PUFFY!  Whoever runs the Wise company ain't so wise. 

Do you call sprinkles jimmies?
    Do you refer to blinkers as indicators? 
    Are rolls buns and buns rolls? 
    Are rubber bands gum bands?  

Pop?  What about pop?  Is it pop, soda or just Coke and how the hell would anyone know what flavor you want if you ask for a Coke but that could mean anything carbonated?  I asked for pop in Chicago.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    Mattchew said:
    Mattchew said:
    Cheetos are delicious.
    Hmmmm.  I'm not a big doodle purchaser but I can do that to see what might happen . . . 

@tempo_n_groove  For the record, cheese doodles are puffy and not crunchy.  That could be a regional thing or just Ohio, but for me DOODLES ARE PUFFY!  Whoever runs the Wise company ain't so wise. 

Do you call sprinkles jimmies?
    Do you refer to blinkers as indicators? 
    Are rolls buns and buns rolls? 
    Are rubber bands gum bands?  

Pop?  What about pop?  Is it pop, soda or just Coke and how the hell would anyone know what flavor you want if you ask for a Coke but that could mean anything carbonated?  I asked for pop in Chicago.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  
    They make the "puff" too but crunchy is all the shizzle.  Tryin' to learn ya sumthin over hea.
    Image result for cheez doodles