To the Person Who Just Dropped 3k on Ebay for Hartford '98 Poster

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,129
    This thread has produced:

- Discussion of a Hartford sale that no one has pointed to
    - Links to 2 auctions from an account with 0 feedback
    - Both were 98 posters listed well above their highest reported sale
    - Both were ended in a couple days without a sale, one being relisted with a higher price

All fishy, zero data points
  • Options
    SweetDaddyLouSweetDaddyLou Posts: 1,191
    100 Pacer said:
    pjl44 said:
    Except we haven't seen one sell for that much yet. A couple have sold for a lot but not 3k. Just more exercises in artificial inflation.
    Not artificial when demand far exceeds supply.

As the kiddies like to say nowadays, 'true dat'! haha

I totally agree with Pacer.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    Your lil Grey Poupon money burning dude just about made me choke on my cereal. :rofl:
    Grape Nuts?
    Deez Nuts!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    SweetDaddyLouSweetDaddyLou Posts: 1,191
    pjl44 said:

- Both were ended in a couple days without a sale, one being relisted with a higher price

Whoa!? I wasn't aware. Ultimately someone spent $3,000 (which I don't have) for an awesome poster (which I wish I had)! Personally I would find it very difficult to drop that kind of cash on anything without seeing/touching/inspecting it in person, just saying. Hopefully all works out!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    tommy boy said:
    I actually purchased some Amazzzinnng Reproductions of said poster  on heavy stock paper from "SCHMamazon" last year because I , like you, wanted one for my collection, then posted  the others on SCHmebay  but got shut down by the Gustapo... Ask Shumway, I believe I gave him a freebee in Good Diplomatic Ties to strengthen US/Canada relations a while back...LOL....Then there was the fake pitt that was allowed...
    Nothing is amazing about a repro, sorry.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited March 2019

pjl44 said:

Whoa!? I wasn't aware. Ultimately someone spent $3,000 (which I don't have) for an awesome poster (which I wish I had)! Personally I would find it very difficult to drop that kind of cash on anything without seeing/touching/inspecting it in person, just saying. Hopefully all works out!
    Did someone ultimately spend $3K though? I think his point is that there is no evidence that this sale being discussed ever happened, in which case, we really should acknowledge that, or prove it to have happened, because right now it seems possible that the only thing artificially inflating the price for that poster is this thread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,129
    PJ_Soul said:

pjl44 said:

Did someone ultimately spend $3K though? I think his point is that there is no evidence that this sale being discussed ever happened, in which case, we really should acknowledge that, or prove it to have happened, because right now it seems possible that the only thing artificially inflating the price for that poster is this thread.

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:
    Your lil Grey Poupon money burning dude just about made me choke on my cereal. :rofl:
    Grape Nuts?
    Cocoa Krispies.  :smiley:  
    tommy boy said:
    I actually purchased some Amazzzinnng Reproductions of said poster  on heavy stock paper from "SCHMamazon" last year because I , like you, wanted one for my collection, then posted  the others on SCHmebay  but got shut down by the Gustapo... Ask Shumway, I believe I gave him a freebee in Good Diplomatic Ties to strengthen US/Canada relations a while back...LOL....Then there was the fake pitt that was allowed...
    As an artist I scream DO NOT PURCHASE REPRODUCTIONS!  Whether you realize it or not, you are screwing the original artist who crafted the piece.  I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is.  Please do not do this.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    As a person who collects I see copies as taking food or income to live on from someone. When it's your living or passions no one should be that disrespectful or uncaring. All I can do is pass it on. Not cool at all. 
    How come no one has said anything about the Dallas 98 that appears to have sold for 3k recently. I may be missing something, but I watched it sell. I think I did at least. I may have been tricked. Dammit! This is not a link that has anything to do with me. Please do not think that.
    Here is a link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ames-bros-Pearl-Jam-Poster-Artist-Print-79-350-Signed-By-The-Artist-Framed/163554001132?hash=item26149400ec:g:3vIAAOSw~9JcbLC8
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    Im not the poster police. I've bought my share of boots. Not judging for me it's not cool. It's a personal thing. Disregard. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,134
    How would you know if a poster is a fake/reproduction anyway?
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,785
    densan said:
    As a person who collects I see copies as taking food or income to live on from someone. When it's your living or passions no one should be that disrespectful or uncaring. All I can do is pass it on. Not cool at all. 
    How come no one has said anything about the Dallas 98 that appears to have sold for 3k recently. I may be missing something, but I watched it sell. I think I did at least. I may have been tricked. Dammit! This is not a link that has anything to do with me. Please do not think that.
    Here is a link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ames-bros-Pearl-Jam-Poster-Artist-Print-79-350-Signed-By-The-Artist-Framed/163554001132?hash=item26149400ec:g:3vIAAOSw~9JcbLC8
    my guess is because it is confirmed on ebeans, a site that I would imagine about 1.5% of pearl jam fans knows exists.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    densan said:
    Here is a link:
    my guess is because it is confirmed on ebeans, a site that I would imagine about 1.5% of pearl jam fans knows exists.  
    Those 1.5% also know that the site has been whack for a year now too.
  • Options
    If you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't be buying high end posters.

The paper it's printed on.

99% of the PJ posters were silk screened.  The difference between a screen print and something on a computer is night and day.  You can see/feel the layers on a screen and the ink can be almost "cahalky", is that a good word to describe it?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

99% of the PJ posters were silk screened.  The difference between a screen print and something on a computer is night and day.  You can see/feel the layers on a screen and the ink can be almost "cahalky", is that a good word to describe it?
    Are you trying to say chalky?  Just wondering.  :smiley:
  • Options
    MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    densan said:
    Here is a link:
    I agree 100%!
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Yes, lol.  "Chalky".  Don't know what kind of brain fart that was?  Caulk and Chalk I guess?!?
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Yes, lol.  "Chalky".  Don't know what kind of brain fart that was?  Caulk and Chalk I guess?!?
    "Well, the surface is somewhat indescribable so I am going to blend a word and hope that they get it."  :lol:  It's all good.  I guess that another thing that came to mind is that a silk screen is not pixilated on the surface.  There are layers of ink.  There should be layers of ink. 
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PB11041 said:
    densan said:
    Here is a link:
    Those 1.5% also know that the site has been whack for a year now too.
    Sure has...maybe even YEARS at this point!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

"Well, the surface is somewhat indescribable so I am going to blend a word and hope that they get it."  :lol:  It's all good.  I guess that another thing that came to mind is that a silk screen is not pixilated on the surface.  There are layers of ink.  There should be layers of ink. 
    You got it so I guess I nailed it?!?

Layers is another great way to describe it.  Thank you!!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    deadendp said:

Chalky like a bottle of Maalox 'G!

season 13 flirt GIF

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I understand it’s easy to tell the difference between a silkscreen and a digital printout. I just wasn’t sure if the fakes were better than just a digital print. 
  • Options

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I understand it’s easy to tell the difference between a silkscreen and a digital printout. I just wasn’t sure if the fakes were better than just a digital print. 
    There is talk that fake silk screen posters are out there.  It's not that hard if you think about it and have the means.
  • Options

There is talk that fake silk screen posters are out there.  It's not that hard if you think about it and have the means.
    Well, that would just suck to get a fake silkscreen. 
  • Options

That is just "talk" as I have yet to see and confirm one.
  • Options
    tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    edited March 2019
    heres an idea....print more posters...
    "taking food" from an artist. .. wow.  I would gladly buy an original from the artist, how many bags of cheetohs is a Hartford 98 worth?
    100 bgs, 1000 bags, 10,000 bags 100,000 bags of cheetohs...Where does it end...then maybe in 2 years (LOL) I can sell it for 100 Million bags of cheetohs!!!....

LOL.  God Bless us all.  PS, NEED A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NEED TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by tommy boy on
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,785
    tommy boy said:
    "taking food" from an artist. .. wow.  I would gladly buy an original from the artist, how many bags of cheetohs is a Hartford 98 worth?
    100 bgs, 1000 bags, 10,000 bags 100,000 bags of cheetohs...Where does it end...then maybe in 2 years (LOL) I can sell it for 100 Million bags of cheetohs!!!....

LOL.  God Bless us all.  PS, NEED A NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NEED TOUR DATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Image result for cheetos gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    tommy boy said:

Have you been on the last two tours?  They printed PLENTY of posters whether they were good or not.

Yes, we need a new tour.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

Didn't fake Seattle 2004 silk screen posters exist?  You could tell real vs. fake since the fake did not list the small print text( i.e. Ames Bros design, Ceribellum Press).  
  • Options
    CopperTom said:

Didn't fake Seattle 2004 silk screen posters exist?  You could tell real vs. fake since the fake did not list the small print text( i.e. Ames Bros design, Ceribellum Press).  
    I had to look that poster up.  Why on earth would that poster be faked?!?