are pearl jam really bothered about releasing a new album anytime soon?

dannydanny Posts: 2,269
i have my doubts
danny d

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited February 2019
    Im not worried about it.   For older bands its not a money making venture anyway.  Touring is.  They don’t even need to release an album to play arenas so they’re in a rare tier of bands.

So once they get the urge to lock themselves in the studio it will be worth waiting for.  If they dont then they dont. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    Maybe Ed has writer's block?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Im not worried about it.   For older bands its not a money making venture anyway.  Touring is.  They don’t even need to release an album to play arenas so they’re in a rare tier of bands.

So once they get the urge to lock themselves in the studio it will be worth waiting for.  If they dont then they dont. 
    Right.  Don’t be looking at PJ for your new music fix.
  • Im not worried about it.   For older bands its not a money making venture anyway.  Touring is.  They don’t even need to release an album to play arenas so they’re in a rare tier of bands.

You are right now defending legacy act:ing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2019

Im defending realism.  Five multi-millionaires all with their own projects and passions (music and non-music).   Young kids and wives too.  I’m not expecting them to have the same mad scientist ideals they had when they were 35 (as much as id like them to).  They’ve crept into the same tier as U2 and the Stones as bands who can sell out arenas without an album.  Shit even Journey does.  Older bands dont sell records.  They’ll get two singles out of it that rock radio will care about for three weeks before it’s back to Daughter and Evenflow.  Studio time costs money and more importantly time.  When they get the urge then it’ll be true and pure.  

same discussion every week :lol:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Im defending realism.  Five multi-millionaires all with their own projects and passions (music and non-music).   Young kids and wives too.  I’m not expecting them to have the same mad scientist ideals they had when they were 35 (as much as id like them to).  They’ve crept into the same tier as U2 and the Stones as bands who can sell out arenas without an album.  Shit even Journey does.  Older bands dont sell records.  They’ll get two singles out of it that rock radio will care about for three weeks before it’s back to Daughter and Evenflow.  Studio time costs money and more importantly time.  When they get the urge then it’ll be true and pure.  

Yep.

Right.  Don’t be looking at PJ for your new music fix.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    If PJ can't be fired up to make an album given the current political climate around the world, i'd rather they didn't bother. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    They are going to make one, and wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't going to be done "soon", so I assume that means they're bothered to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited February 2019

Except U2 still put new material out. Whether it’s good or not is a diff story... but they still create. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    With Ed touring in June, they could get some studio time before then, it’s only Feb. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    edited February 2019
    nicknyr15 said:

Except U2 still put new material out. Whether it’s good or not is a diff story... but they still create. 
    U2's output is musically superior now too, not just more frequent (and I don't mean that as an actual compliment to U2's latest few albums, although they are listenable from start to finish, if not actually good IMO).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    With Ed touring in June, they could get some studio time before then, it’s only Feb. 
    There have been plenty of months for getting in the studio.
  • With Ed touring in June, they could get some studio time before then, it’s only Feb. 
    There have been plenty of months for getting in the studio.
    I think you mean "years" lol
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    I was hoping for a trump-leaguer-esque album
  • KN219077 said:
    I was hoping for a trump-leaguer-esque album
    I would like that anger captured in an album for sure. Pj for me are best when they are angry or pissed off with a situation.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Lightning Bolt is probably PJ's last album. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    edited February 2019
    I doubt this is the case. I think they'll never break up. They are the stones 2.0, although when the stones were in their 50s they still released new music and toured a decent amount 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Both U2 and Stones make records. I thought Jeff made an interesting statement: "This is a broken album". Not sure if he was only talking about the state of the album or its atmosphere. I really get the feeling, they have some tunes, riffs, ideas, lyrics but no direction yet. (Hence the "limbo" comment.) I think the death of Chris Cornell really hit hard, some members maybe harder than others, and that life itself came in between.  I dont see them as multi-millionaire easy lay asses. I think Jeff was earnest when he said at the start of PJ when he said "art is hard work". They give 3+ hours shows. Even Ed Sheeran (to give a comparative example) plays 1+ hour and he is 24 or something . So I dont question their work ethic. I think it is more an inspirational thing - and you cant force that. If Jeff was reffering to the atmosphere of "being broken" - I would say, use that as your inspirational starting point. For the world is broken at this point 
    edited February 2019
    He was saying that its been said before a few times already that he’d record more.  Meaning “Repeated” Like a record that’s broken.  

The world isnt ending, folks.  

When I do those, it’s mostly to clean off the shelves and finish stuff; it’s stuff that has been on the Pearl Jam shelf for a few years and nobody is really responding to it. I think all of us have gotten into the habit of finishing stuff up and putting it out. This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen.”
    They wouldn't be talking about another album if they didn't fully intend to release one.
    edited February 2019
    He was saying tha thatgt its been said before a few times already that he’d record more.  Meaning “Repeated” Like a record that’s broken.  

The world isnt ending, folks.  

“When I do those, it’s mostly to clean off the shelves and finish stuff; it’s stuff that has been on the Pearl Jam shelf for a few years and nobody is really responding to it. I think all of us have gotten into the habit of finishing stuff up and putting it out. This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen.”
    Could be. English is not my mother tongue, so I may miss the syntax or the semantics. It could also be in the way the interview was represented. But the borken record seems to refer to *me*, and I could way be off the ballpark here (or out of it), that it is half done. That they have songs but that they are not happy with the complete picture. But that is my *interpretation*. It doesnt seem to me that the words were used in a repetitive sense, like "I sound like a broken record", but that the record is simply not done yet. I hate these shelf comments btw. Ed made a similar comment in the promo video of LB. (I think he used the word attic.) I am sure they dont mean it this way, but it gives the impression that making an album is factory work. "Oh this is done, now we have more room on the assymbly (sp?) line." As an artist myself I dont believe in this approach. A song or any piece of art is like a living organism. You give it water, sunlight and see how it grows. Sometimes you dont like it and  it ends up in the pile of "not good enough". A pile that is often bigger than the pile "this is it". The funny thing is that the water, sunlight etc. sometimes happens in a few hours - that is often your best work. Other times you have tinker away for months or even years. It misses something - a layer, a dimension, something that makes it greater - and it comes to you during the most inconvenient moments; when you are standing in a long line at the grocery store for example. And you can hit yourself on the forehead that you didnt see it before, for in retrospective it was right in front of you.

But that is my experience.

When I sometimes read the quotes of PJ - and they are quotes so caution is necessary - they make it sound that every idea is a source material. That they do not have a "not good enough pile". Which is BS if you think of  it for "Of the Earth" and other outtakes were thrown on that pile.

In short, I interpret the "broken record" comment more as an inspirational thing. They have some songs, but no direction. As I stated before PJ doesnt only write good songs, they also write cohesive records with often a theme that connects the songs together. For some reason (often personal reasons, a death patch - something every artist goes through; doesnt mean they will break up or anything - we are just not used to it, because as a band they are/ were quite prolific) they are artistically stuck. (Or they are recording as I speak and I blow smoke out of my ass right now.) But each album had something that tied it all together: Vs. was about (inner) struggle (each song deals with this theme), Ten about growing up and coming of age (maybe the reason why so many people connected to it), Vitalogy (also re. the booklet) about conformity and how this is contextualized in space and time, even the albums people throw off as a series of songs had things in common: LB about personal revelations (just think of the title song), BS about going back to their roots (for RA and ST feels a bit awkward to me: RA feels lost and ST almost like an overcompensation) etc. Mind you, this is *my* interpretation. But I can imagine if all five members are not on the same page at the moment or in the same inspirational plane, it can be frustrating. The best art comes if you dont force it. If you as an artist dont stand in between the art and the development of it. (I hope this is clear somehow.) So I see this hiatus more as an inspirational struggle. And no, I do not think and it is wise and even insulting if we as fans start to single out members that are "to blame". We dont know. We do not know the personal circumstances and we do not know the impact Cornell had. Matt was a drummer of Soundgarden for Christs sakes.

Ok, I stop the monologue now. But this is just my take on it.

Post edited by fortyshades on
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    It feels like they have slid in to nostalgic act mode. Obviously they are bigger than the nostalgic acts that play suburban 4th of July festivals. They can still pack arenas. Only they know why they has happened. Maybe it's family, maybe it's getting old, maybe the creative juices have dried up...who knows.

The interviews they have given have indicated the album is in the middle somewhere, so something will come eventually. Hopefully it doesn't as long as Chinese Democracy :)
    Broken record is 100% referring to Jeff repeating himself in interviews that he would like to record more with Pearl Jam.  Very common phrase.  
    edited February 2019
    Broken record is 100% referring to Jeff repeating himself in interviews that he would like to record more with Pearl Jam.  Very common phrase.  
    Like I stated. You could be right. I have no clue what went on in his head or how the comment was rephrased in the article. Maybe it is just wishful thinking from my side. No harm done and it was no attack. It seems like he has a lot of inspiration right now. And 6 years is long for PJ standards. But imagine you're a TOOL fan. 6 albums (including the upcoming one) since 1992/1993. Or if you an APC fan; 13 years between the last album and a cover album; if you are a fan of STP 7 albums since 91/92,  (The death of Scott Weiland was of course tragic, but he left the band before that.) Or other bands and singers: 6 years is more the standard than the exception. This is no critique. But I sometimes feel we are a bit spoiled as fans. We complain when they dont sing 30+ songs and play less than 3 hours, we complain if they dont play that one obscure song during a setlist they *change* every night, we complain because the intervals between the concerts are longer (they are 50+, have families, play at lest 2,5 hours at a minimum - they need the rest; any idea how physical exhausting a show is? Its killing for your joints, not to mention your voice) etc. Etc. Etc. I rather have less shows or more spread out, than shorter shows or shows lacking passion. I rather have a good album than a mandatory album because they feel pushed to make one. And even though I am on this board for many years (longer than my membership) I never, and I mean never, saw fans attack and single out members of the band and stating the delays are his or his fault. How entitled can you get? The truth is, we do not know. Its all conjecture. Hold on to your horses. The album will come. Maybe they slow down. Maybe they will come with a double. We do not know. One thing I do know  over the years, is that they do things on their own terms. And it wouldnt be the first time, they will surprise us with a strange curve ball or do something completly unsuspected. I believe there is still enough fire in them. They just know how to kindle it better.
    Post edited by fortyshades on

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

It is the same discussion and it is their right in life

But you left out a significant part of the story.

It was wrong to make it appear can't dent me was from their "forthcoming" album when no such thing existed and pretend now the band made no such claim 

(Ed GROWL)

LITERALLY, as even flow just came on the radio.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Im surprised this is still on the band's site, and so many fans forget this fact:

"Pearl Jam's new track from their forthcoming album on Monkeywrench/Republic Records is out now!

“Can’t Deny Me” was co-produced by Pearl Jam and Brendan O'Brien. The track was recorded in Seattle last month and released as a surprise early download to Ten Club members last Saturday.

Eddie wrote the song's lyrics set to music written by Mike. Jeff created the single's artwork in collaboration with PJ's longtime Videographer, Kevin Shuss."

I didnt think it was a big thing that I wrote. You could use it metaphorically/ poetically, but I can only concur when you slam a dictionary in my face ;-).

And regarding "forthcoming": a).it doesnt say anywhere it will not be on the album, so far I know at least and b) they have the right to change their minds. Maybe it doesnt fit with the other tunes or maybe in retrospective they realized the song wasnt that strong or they dont feel the same about it as they did back then. I know they raised expectations but in the worse case scenario we have a b-side.