So.... Bill Maher...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgInmHHO0m4

What is his problem. Is he just an old condescending idiot?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    edited January 2019
    smug, arrogant and thinks hes better than most.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgInmHHO0m4

What is his problem. Is he just an old condescending idiot?
    What was wrong with that?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I thought it was pretty damn funny.  I absolutely loved the #adulting part.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mickeyrat said:
    smug, arrogant and thinks hes better than most.
    All true. And it was still kinda funny. Some gems in there. Though, not very sophisticated written since it was all about comic books and then takes a weird video game turn. 

All in all Maher is exactly what you say he is though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I don’t watch him the only times I do is when someone points too a clip of him ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Funny clip
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Awesome.   Agree with him 100%. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Glowy thing. Hilarious.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    This reminds me of a bit from one of Henry Rollins' videos where he's talking about dating the woman and while driving around in his car with her she mentions how she likes to read.  He's tells her, "Oh, that's great!  What are you reading?"  She tell him she's reading Harry Potter and he yells, "Get out of the car!"  LOL.  I thought that was funny as hell.  Now before you jump on me, I have to admit this- at the time I saw this, I was reading the Harry Potter books.   OK, so I revert to easy reads once in a while.  No biggie. But as an adult, I refer to such books as "entertaining". not "great literature".

I thought Mahr's bit was extremely funny and pretty much right on.  If an adult likes to read comic books, I'm not going to put them down.  But talking about them as if they are import or great literature.  LOL, no way.  That's just another example of the dumbing down of modern society. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    brianlux said:
    This reminds me of a bit from one of Henry Rollins' videos where he's talking about dating the woman and while driving around in his car with her she mentions how she likes to read.  He's tells her, "Oh, that's great!  What are you reading?"  She tell him she's reading Harry Potter and he yells, "Get out of the car!"  LOL.  I thought that was funny as hell.  Now before you jump on me, I have to admit this- at the time I saw this, I was reading the Harry Potter books.   OK, so I revert to easy reads once in a while.  No biggie. But as an adult, I refer to such books as "entertaining". not "great literature".

I thought Mahr's bit was extremely funny and pretty much right on.  If an adult likes to read comic books, I'm not going to put them down.  But talking about them as if they are import or great literature.  LOL, no way.  That's just another example of the dumbing down of modern society. 

agreed...I think the comic book people were a little too sensitive.  Comics can be impressive but they are not comparable to real literature. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I enjoyed it and totally agree that comic book people are way too sensitive.

Yes the #adulting thing is fucking dumb too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I did learn something, I did not realize comic book readers thought comic books were great literature...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2019
    I did learn something, I did not realize comic book readers thought comic books were great literature...lol
    I rewatched it and man was he spot on!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    I rewatched it and man was he spot on!
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Apparently Bill has become an old man that doesn't like to have fun...

Someone should probably tell him Black Panther was the best movie in 2018
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i call it doubling down
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    vaggar99 said:
    i call it doubling down
    intransitive verb. 1 : to double the original bid in blackjack in exchange for only one more card. 2 : to become more tenacious, zealous, or resolute in a position or undertaking the administration needs to double down on the call for political reform.

I assume you mean Maher is showing his tendency to be more tenacious, zealous, or resolute in his viewpoint on comics not being the same as mature literature.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• In the spring... I'm riding to work on my Big Wheel.

I like Bill a lot. Very funny.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I have always loved the show... but have you seen his stand up? I would not categorize it, or him, as very funny. His stand up act stinks lol
  • I like the show. But the opening and his delivery is bad, so wouldn't surprise me he stinks as a comedian.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Came to my college once back in the early '00s. I would best describe him as an angry drunk. Was not funny. His show is a bit better, but his arrogance can be very annoying.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    my2hands said:
    I have always loved the show... but have you seen his stand up? I would not categorize it, or him, as very funny. His stand up act stinks lol
    Disagree...I have seen him in Indy 2-3 times and most recently in Vegas.  He was hilarious.  He is at the Mirage a lot and it seems like he tries out a lot of his opening monologue there.

In Vegas he pissed off a lot of MAGA idiots.  Twas grand.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I did learn something, I did not realize comic book readers thought comic books were great literature...lol
    Read Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.  That IS good literature.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    my2hands said:
    Disagree...I have seen him in Indy 2-3 times and most recently in Vegas.  He was hilarious.  He is at the Mirage a lot and it seems like he tries out a lot of his opening monologue there.

I think he's funny. Monologue is always pretty good IMO
    chinese-happy.jpg
    my2hands said:

In Vegas he told a great joke about reincarnation that almost made me piss myself

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I like Bill Maher. I don't care when I happen to not agree with him (But I agree with him more often than not).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    my2hands said:

his New Rules are usually pretty funny too.  and i agreed with this one about the comic books.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    and video games.  get the fuck off the couch.  triple down.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    It is funny that Ed spends New Years with this guy. I mean he violates the only rule of the Pearl Jam religion just about every waking moment.
    hippiemom = goodness