Beginner Guitars?

2»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    Also, learn through justin guitar.  100% best out there
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    One more thing to consider: electric guitars have volume controls. That can be important for practicing in near silence with headphones late at night or out of respect for others in the house. (It's not much fun to listen to someone learning a new instrument.)

Also, think about your goals. Do you want to strum chords and play around a campfire with friends or do you want to wail like Mike?

If you want to play solos and be the lead guitarist in a rock and roll band, learn scales early on as that will help you understand how chord progressions work in relation to areas of the neck to noodle on.

If you don't plan on playing lead guitar, by all means start with an acoustic. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I have a mini Martin. It cost £350 a few years back and holds value well. 
    Which one did you get?  
    It's an LX1. I like it. I have a takamine also like Glen Hansard old one
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Years ago i found out that Paul Westerberg was sponsored by First Act (basically a toys r us guitar brand).  I bought his signature model for $150 just as a cheap collectible.  For a lot of songs and styles it seriously plays and sounds better than $1000 guitars i played in bands with.  It’s hilarious.  
  • True it's how you play not what
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    My guitar playing journey is about to begin. My wife surprised me with an acoustic Fender (FA 135) this morning for a 10 year anniversary gift. I couldn’t be more pumped. She had no idea what kind I wanted (and neither did I) so she said her feelings would not be hurt at all if I exchange it. So, my dilemma is to keep it or exchange it. I’m going to give it a whirl and see how it feels to me, but I’m a complete beginner. I’m going to pick up a few others in the store, but one that appeals to me based on recommendations above and what I’m seeing in my research is the Taylor GS Mini. Seems like a good option, but it’s around double the cost. To you experts out there, is it worth it? 

For any of you that golf, I liken this scenario to a golfer who steps in the tee box with a set of shiny new blades but can’t hit a fairway to save his life. Those blades should be swapped for oversized, forgiving irons. I don’t want to be the beginner guitar player that buys the guitar equivalent of blades when I should be playing something more forgiving. 

Based on that, keep the Fender and save the dough or test run the Taylor (and others)? Thanks. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Congrats on the guitar! My advice is to keep it and play it. If, after a year you want to upgrade based on feel or tone of a different guitar, go for it. But there is nothing wrong with learning on a guitar like that. I don't think you'd want to play Benaroya with it, but sitting at home learning chords, strumming, picking, etc...? That guitar will more than do the job. Enjoy it! 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    It's from your wife and for your 10th ann'y.  Keep it!  Learn on it, practice with it, become a guitar player with it.  Like Jeff said, you can always upgrade down the road.
    ^ Awesome...thanks guys! 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,683
    I agree with the guys above. Give it at least a year. Come up with a dedicated practice routine and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. The later has always been my biggest fault. Learn your first 3 chords and you'll be playing some basic songs real quick. Then pick up the next 2 or 3 and learn many more songs. If you progress past this point, then....head to a guitar store. See what they got for ya.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I agree with the guys above. Give it at least a year. Come up with a dedicated practice routine and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. The later has always been my biggest fault. Learn your first 3 chords and you'll be playing some basic songs real quick. Then pick up the next 2 or 3 and learn many more songs. If you progress past this point, then....head to a guitar store. See what they got for ya.
    Thanks pal. More good advice. I’m going to map out my practice/ lesson regimen this weekend and fully intend on staying dedicated to it until I’m playing at a competent level. I’m sure there will be times of getting discouraged, but it’s all good. I’ll embrace the challenge. The payoff will be worth it. 
    bbiggs said:
    Thanks pal. More good advice. I’m going to map out my practice/ lesson regimen this weekend and fully intend on staying dedicated to it until I’m playing at a competent level. I’m sure there will be times of getting discouraged, but it’s all good. I’ll embrace the challenge. The payoff will be worth it. 
    It will be worth it for sure. You get to be food enough, you will have no problem using your newfound guitar skills to trade your wife of 10 years in for a newer younger version. Thank you anniversary gift! :smiley:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    ^ Haha priceless! 
    Glad you could appreciate the humor. 
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Good luck bb. Only thing I can think of worth adding...

Don't put it away! - In its case, in the closet, out of the way, to keep it safe or something.

Leave it out. By the couch, by the TV, near the kitchen. Put a hook on a central wall or a floor stand in a main area, so it can be OUT. You will pick it up much more often, and noodle even for five minutes between life moments. Progression is fast up front but then you will get plateaus. Just keep going - it will become another friend.

Jbarker said:

Good luck bb. Only thing I can think of worth adding...

Don't put it away! - In its case, in the closet, out of the way, to keep it safe or something.

Leave it out. By the couch, by the TV, near the kitchen. Put a hook on a central wall or a floor stand in a main area, so it can be OUT. You will pick it up much more often, and noodle even for five minutes between life moments. Progression is fast up front but then you will get plateaus. Just keep going - it will become another friend.

Thank you for the advice! I’m going to a buddy’s house tonight for my first “lesson.” He’s been playing casually for 30 years so he’ll be a good teacher. I plan to practice every day, even if only for a few minutes, so I will make sure to leave it out where it’s easily accessible to force my hand. 
    Tell us man, how are you progressing? 
    Tell us man, how are you progressing? 
    It’s a slow work in progress, but I’m consistently practicing and progressing. Chord changes are becoming faster and easier. Not as much looking and searching for strings and finger placement. Had my first lesson last week and first week’s assignment is American Girl by Tom Petty. I’m not ready to hit the stage yet, but I’m having fun with it and am determined to get decent. Thanks for asking buddy. 
    That's great, man. The actual lessons seem like a great thing (obviously). I kind peaked and got lost after a certain point. Never progressed beyond that. I certainly own that I wasn't dedicated enough, but some actual lessons would absolutely have helped. 

No that I can afford lessons and would like some, I really cannot commit the time. Averaging 62 hour work weeks over the last 16 months. Swing shift too.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    Hit a bar chord yet?
    I remember that being a nice achievement when first picking it up.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Hit a bar chord yet?
    I remember that being a nice achievement when first picking it up.  
    I tried a few times but it’s tough man. My buddy tried teaching me bad habits by using my thumb. I’ll wait to learn it the right way first.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    Muscle memory.  One day it will pop for you....keep working.  
    That's pretty much where I hit a brick wall. There are variations of playing the F chord but I only wanted to learn the actual right way. 

I also never learned or understood any of the music theory. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    Stepdaughters fender acoustic has been in the garage for several years now. its now in the house propped up in a chair I dont sit in often next to the computer desk I DO sit at often. Have some stuff on the way and wanted to give this a shot. My wife laughed at me.....

So after landing in this thread, is there an update? Did you stick?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I sure did.  Can’t believe it was 4 years ago already, but I stayed with it from the moment I started.  Playing music is one of my favorite things to do now and I can’t imagine not doing it.  I’m an average guitar player, but given the amount of time I can dedicate to it, I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made.  Looking back through this thread was very interesting and I can say there’s some fantastic advice in it.  I play electric more than acoustic, but that’s just a personal preference.  Good luck getting started and enjoy the journey. 
    Good to hear!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    bbiggs said:
    I sure did.  Can’t believe it was 4 years ago already, but I stayed with it from the moment I started.  Playing music is one of my favorite things to do now and I can’t imagine not doing it.  I’m an average guitar player, but given the amount of time I can dedicate to it, I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made.  Looking back through this thread was very interesting and I can say there’s some fantastic advice in it.  I play electric more than acoustic, but that’s just a personal preference.  Good luck getting started and enjoy the journey. 
    That is awesome that you stuck with it. I took weekly lessons for several years from a friend of mine. I am not someone with a natural talent for playing but I am adequate enough to entertain myself. I can’t play lead guitar at all though. But I’m decent enough at strumming my chords. It’s fun. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    type of oil for the fret board you guys would recommend?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    mickeyrat said:
    type of oil for the fret board you guys would recommend?
    Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes are quick and easy.