AMES should be ashamed of themselves

2»

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You don’t like it, don’t buy it. 
    Basically this.  Let's face it there are a lot of people who clearly buy things, with the intention of waiting to sell it at some point.  Why in the world is anyone worried about quantity and pricing otherwise.

I have the Benaroya Hall boxset, if they produce 2,000 or 5,000 more tomorrow so be it.  I did not buy it to oogle over its scarcity and price gauging that goes on. 
    Well... if I paid $700 for a Kong today I would be worried about quantity and pricing for a very good reason.... if they printed 5,000 of them I sure as hell wouldn’t be paying $700 for one.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 443
    get ready to have this thread shut down and bars put on your avatar.  Ames Bros. LOL
    I welcome it...
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    SJD3232 said:
    people are really annoying
    NO, "you are" really annoying!
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/6873514#Comment_6873514
    @tempo_n_groove dude, that made me pee a little.
  • Options
    Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,021
    These are left over from the runs of 100 each they had in Seattle, they are numbered out of 100, no additional prints were made. No one bought them in Seattle, I mean a few did obviously, but I think they thought there would be a line out the door to scoop them up or something.  They didn't even offer a shipping option, how were people supposed to get home a 5 foot print?

Secondly, I'm much more upset about the price change on some of the prints. Kong was $700 today, it was $500 in Seattle. They just knew with a larger online audience and shipping being available they could jack the price.

I love their older work, but their business practices the last five years have been borderline unethical.  The beginning of the downfall was the AP2 shenanigans and the whole "handful" incident with the NYC Transformer gold print.  They wouldn't even give me a tax receipt or disclose what % was going to charity. If it's charitable it needs to be transparent. They get away with it all because of the relationship to the band and it's really gotten out of control. Not only do they do things other artists can't, but I think, and this is just my opinion, that the special treatment they get actually deters other artists from working with PJ.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Options
    tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    Collecting Art can be expensive.  We ALL have to deal with it.
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Sour grapes.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Who cares? Let them sell thousands of them. Don’t they have a right to make money? I don’t get this attitude towards artists. They created something. In any other business this doesn’t matter. Lighten up. 
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    nicknyr15 said:
    Who cares? Let them sell thousands of them. Don’t they have a right to make money? I don’t get this attitude towards artists. They created something. In any other business this doesn’t matter. Lighten up. 

• Options
    tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    Exactly, well said Nickny15, who cares, go call your mom, go read a bedtime story, be thankful to be alive. . .
    Now on a serious FUCKING GRIPE, where is the NEW RECORD, ehh.... yeah ?..comeon...
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited December 2018
    tommy boy said:
    Exactly, well said Nickny15, who cares, go call your mom, go read a bedtime story, be thankful to be alive. . .
    Now on a serious FUCKING GRIPE, where is the NEW RECORD, ehh.... yeah ?..comeon...
    One new song in five years?  I won’t be holding my breath. 
    Well said Nicky. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    The artist(s) can and should be able to sell their work for any price they want. It's the marked up reselling around here that's slimey.

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited December 2018
    StevieG73 said:
    Oh, and market based pricing actually reduces flippers.  That is the easiest way to prevent flippers.  Price stuff as high as market will bear.  So it’s the exact opposite of what the OP says we all agree to.  
    I do see your logic...but I don't think it will apply to the 2 or 3 posters that people want in this case.  I keep going back to the Wrigley one, I have no doubt they'll still be on eBay for double the price and people will buy them.  This is just one of three issues...the second issue is the fact that no one seems to know if these are leftovers from the 100 from the home shows....and thirdly, how did they get the OK to reprint these?  Has the opportunity been extended to the other artists?
    Guys like Munk One, Brad Klausen and Dan Mumford could set up their great grandkids if they did this.

I agree.  They probably could go higher so you should be praising them for not doing so.  However, they are at a point where addl profit would be limited for a flipper.  An artist could sell dierect for more than a flipper due to authenticity concerns.  So, yet another differentiator that this is not flipping as initially argued.

I think a basic economics course would help if you were really interested beyond complaining about what a creator does with their own creations.  
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 443
    I will admit that many of you make solid arguments where, at the end of the day, the artist should have control over their work.  I still struggle with the fact that there were Wrigley and Kong posters left in Seattle...but I guess it's now irrelevant.  Having said that...I won't budge on the reprint issue.  Regardless of it being 5'...I feel the value of the AP Wrigley that I got in 2013 has diminished...at least it has in my eyes. 

2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    StevieG73 said:
    Regardless of it being 5'...I feel the value of the AP Wrigley that I got in 2013 has diminished...at least it has in my eyes. 

Its taller than your car!   These arent AP2s.  These are taller than most fifth graders. Cmon guys :lol:   Entirely different entity.  

Drink some eggnog fellas. Relax
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited December 2018
    We all focus on Ames here, but the really focus should be on the complete jackasses buying these oversized prints.  Get an f'n life.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    We all focus on Ames here, but the really focus should be on the complete jackasses buying these oversized prints.  Get an f'n life.
    Jealous much? Get a second job (or just one good one) if you can't afford what you want.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    edited December 2018
    PB11041 said:

Let's face it there are a lot of people who clearly buy things, with the intention of waiting to sell it at some point.  Why in the world is anyone worried about quantity and pricing otherwise.

This is crux of collecting. If you are truly in it to collect and enjoy something, qty and reprints/represses shouldn't matter. If "after market value" is a big issue, you are in it for the wrong reason. 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Agreed.  To me it’s not about affordability, it’s about how ridiculous these are.  If you owned a museum these would be fantastic, though.  They do fit in with the merch craze though, when a single concert has 5 posters, it’s all overkill.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    shecky said:
    Jealous much? Get a second job (or just one good one) if you can't afford what you want.

Haha.  Maybe I was a little harsh but your assessment on jealousy and my finances is way off.  I'm selling off most of my collection and not because I need the cash but because the collecting game has jumped the shark.  My job has paid for me to see 100 PJ shows across three continents without having to sleep on couches and flip merch.  I'll still have 30 posters hanging on the wall, but not reprints I paid $800 for.  Doing just fine.

But yeah, blast AMES Bros for selling products they created to people ready to pay for them. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    shecky said:

Haha.  Maybe I was a little harsh but your assessment on jealousy and my finances is way off.  I'm selling off most of my collection and not because I need the cash but because the collecting game has jumped the shark.  My job has paid for me to see 100 PJ shows across three continents without having to sleep on couches and flip merch.  I'll still have 30 posters hanging on the wall, but not reprints I paid $800 for.  Doing just fine.

But yeah, blast AMES Bros for selling products they created to people ready to pay for them. 

Only three continents?  Damn rookie. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    shecky said:

I was in college the last time they visited Asia!    Such a bully.
    And my damn job I have to afford paying $800 for reprints doesn’t time up well with Aussie tours.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    shecky said:

And my damn job I have to afford paying $800 for reprints doesn’t time up well with Aussie tours.
    If you didn’t travel to South Africa to watch Eddie play a 20 minute set than you aren’t a real fan. I m guessing 98/100 of the shows you saw are in the north east. I am hardly impressed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    shecky said:

If you didn’t travel to South Africa to watch Eddie play a 20 minute set than you aren’t a real fan. I m guessing 98/100 of the shows you saw are in the north east. I am hardly impressed. 
    He played Long Road for the 200th time but with a choir though.  It was so emotional.  You just don’t understand.  

You are correct though.  One show in Brazil, one show in London, and then 98 shows in New York and Philly where the real fans live.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    shecky said:

He played Long Road for the 200th time but with a choir though.  It was so emotional.  You just don’t understand.  

You are correct though.  One show in Brazil, one show in London, and then 98 shows in New York and Philly where the real fans live.
    I knew it!!! Lol.  Happy holidays bud. I m only 42 shows behind you!!

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Hmmmm a for profit business want to take advantage of customomer demand.....

This is not the same print as the shows or previous sales, it is the same image but dramatically different in size and presentation.  They have done nothing to lessen the scarcity or value of the other runs.  Is a print worth less if it is a book or advertisement?

Artists produce second, third even fourth runs of stuff all the time to MAKE  money.  People do it after they die even.  See Salvador Dali, people basically had him sign 60000 prints and paid him for the blanks.

At least these are legit, a new version, and of things people want.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    Agreed.  To me it’s not about affordability, it’s about how ridiculous these are.  If you owned a museum these would be fantastic, though.  They do fit in with the merch craze though, when a single concert has 5 posters, it’s all overkill.
    It sort of makes sense as they only do it for the stadium shows where a lot more poeple attend.  Personally I like it when there's 5 posters, it mean's there should be a good one that I feel is worth framing.   Not like going to a Vancouver '11 and having zero options :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    It sort of makes sense as they only do it for the stadium shows where a lot more poeple attend.  Personally I like it when there's 5 posters, it mean's there should be a good one that I feel is worth framing.   Not like going to a Vancouver '11 and having zero options :(
    Yep, to each his own, I get it.  I just like the good old days where there was an event, and a poster to commemorate it.  I get when there’s more demand you increase supply, but it’s gone off the deep end imo.  5 foot posters for 700 bucks a piece just tells me it’s time to move on from being a little kid and start focusing on family vacations instead of this silly stuff.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    edited December 2018
    Zod said:
    Yep, to each his own, I get it.  I just like the good old days where there was an event, and a poster to commemorate it.  I get when there’s more demand you increase supply, but it’s gone off the deep end imo.  5 foot posters for 700 bucks a piece just tells me it’s time to move on from being a little kid and start focusing on family vacations instead of this silly stuff.

Zod said:
    Why is it one or the other?  I’m pretty sure one can buy a poster and still take the family on vacation.  
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Zod said:

Zod said:
    Why is it one or the other?  I’m pretty sure one can buy a poster and still take the family on vacation.  
    One can for sure, we’re free to do as we please it’s just about priorities I suppose. 5 foot posters just aren’t one of mine
This discussion has been closed.