Options

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    I think what said it all was “drum machine, keyboard, sampling and computer software.” the shit that really sells is “music” without musicianship. really good music will no longer sell like pop pap, but it still exists if you seek it out.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Wobbie said:
    I think what said it all was “drum machine, keyboard, sampling and computer software.” the shit that really sells is “music” without musicianship. really good music will no longer sell like pop pap, but it still exists if you seek it out.
    100%. It’s not that modern music is definitvely bad, it’s just that the modern era of music doesn’t permit for good musicianship to have popular success. 
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Fart

I want 13 minutes back

I kept waiting for something profound.

Nope.

There is still good music, we are just old farts.  Things change.  Ebb and flow

Some people say the 80s suck.  I say they suck.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Hey baby gimme some o' that millennial "WHOOP"   Whao-o Whao-0.  :lol: 

I know better than to get into an argument about this subject.  Over at the Hoffman site its been done a bunch to no great success.  But I am opinionated enough about the subject to risk sounding like some music snob or whatever in saying I think the guy in the video has a good and valid point.  Popular music is way less interesting and musical today than it was 50 years ago.  That doesn't mean there isn't good music today.  There is great music today!  But so much of what's out there gets "processed", spit out and forgotten in a flash.  Or should I say a blur.  The good stuffs there, but it's shoved further and further under the radar.  But that's OK.  Those kinds of social phenomena always lead to a breaking through to yet another side.

But saying today's great music isn't getting played to as many people isn't where it ends.  I think that is indicative of something more important, more problematic and more disturbing that whatever the latest hit is.  And it isn't just music.  The same thing could be said about a lot of modern culture, and education, and what people do with their time.  Look at social media.  And this is not a diatribe against the internet.  Many intelligent discussion happen on the internet.  But what does the average person discuss on social media?  Who has time for this shit?  It's sad.

It's time to wake up again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/oVME_l4IwII
    This really says it all
    Too much young cleavage? I agree! They all need to attend a Diane Keaton "Turtlenecks Year-Round" seminar.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited December 2018
    Wobbie said:
    Oh like NIN does?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Hey baby gimme some o' that millennial "WHOOP"   Whao-o Whao-0.  :lol: 

I know better than to get into an argument about this subject.  Over at the Hoffman site its been done a bunch to no great success.  But I am opinionated enough about the subject to risk sounding like some music snob or whatever in saying I think the guy in the video has a good and valid point.  Popular music is way less interesting and musical today than it was 50 years ago.  That doesn't mean there isn't good music today.  There is great music today!  But so much of what's out there gets "processed", spit out and forgotten in a flash.  Or should I say a blur.  The good stuffs there, but it's shoved further and further under the radar.  But that's OK.  Those kinds of social phenomena always lead to a breaking through to yet another side.

But saying today's great music isn't getting played to as many people isn't where it ends.  I think that is indicative of something more important, more problematic and more disturbing that whatever the latest hit is.  And it isn't just music.  The same thing could be said about a lot of modern culture, and education, and what people do with their time.  Look at social media.  And this is not a diatribe against the internet.  Many intelligent discussion happen on the internet.  But what does the average person discuss on social media?  Who has time for this shit?  It's sad.

It's time to wake up again.
    60's and 90's.

Every thirty years or so a music revolution happens.

I'm waiting for the awakening too Brian.

Also I love a lot of the music that is out there.  Migos kill!

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    This really says it all
    Too much young cleavage? I agree! They all need to attend a Diane Keaton "Turtlenecks Year-Round" seminar.
    I'm good with the cleavage. The music leaves something to be desired.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    This really says it all
    I'm good with the cleavage. The music leaves something to be desired.
    If the cleavage leaves pop I would stop paying attention altogether
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540

There is crappy music in every era.  Punk music flat out sucks.  Is just terrible.  Jeff Ament absolutely loves it.   Whatever. 

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options

There is crappy music in every era.  Punk music flat out sucks.  Is just terrible.  Jeff Ament absolutely loves it.   Whatever. 

You must not be a Pearl Jam fan.  Punk had a lot of influence on them and almost all the bands from the era that made PJ great.  And the other way around-- look at the 60's rockers who embraced punk; Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Bob Dylan, Ray Manzarak, to name a few.

Are you sure you don't mean, "I'm not a fan of punk rock but obviously it had a big influence on music"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    ed243421 said:
    That just reminds of the great Tool.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ed243421 said:
    Hicks' bit about drugs and music is mostly true but I also think it is equally true that there has always been a down side to drugs in the music business and in music fans because for every person who used drugs to expand their creative thinking there was another who abused drugs and became a slobbering, blithering idiot.   One is great, the other is a huge embarrassment.  This kind of activity really works best with education and guidance.  The ugly side of it is horrible and nothing to be glorified.  

• Options
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:

You must not be a Pearl Jam fan.  Punk had a lot of influence on them and almost all the bands from the era that made PJ great.  And the other way around-- look at the 60's rockers who embraced punk; Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Bob Dylan, Ray Manzarak, to name a few.

Are you sure you don't mean, "I'm not a fan of punk rock but obviously it had a big influence on music"?

I like Pearl Jam, but without exception every time a band member guest DJ's on Sirius and breaks out an old punk tune from a band I never have heard of I cringe.   I get that music evolves, but those songs are monotonous and boring.  Pearl Jam is not punk.  At all.  They like to say they are to feel good about themselves and making millions, but they are not.  Punk is not an attitude to me.  It is just loud, lazy music. I like Pearl Jam's spot in the evolution tree of music.  I don't want to listen to garage bands.

It is like comedies.  Animal House I'm sure was hilarious in its day.  Breakfast Club is treasured by millions.  Comedy has evolved.

I think it all just comes down to what was new at the time you were growing up.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I like Pearl Jam, but without exception every time a band member guest DJ's on Sirius and breaks out an old punk tune from a band I never have heard of I cringe.   I get that music evolves, but those songs are monotonous and boring.  Pearl Jam is not punk.  At all.  They like to say they are to feel good about themselves and making millions, but they are not.  Punk is not an attitude to me.  It is just loud, lazy music. I like Pearl Jam's spot in the evolution tree of music.  I don't want to listen to garage bands.

It is like comedies.  Animal House I'm sure was hilarious in its day.  Breakfast Club is treasured by millions.  Comedy has evolved.

I think it all just comes down to what was new at the time you were growing up.

I totally get it that you don't like punk.  I don't care much for hip hop.  My mother hated rock and roll.  I just don't feel the need to label any music as "crappy" or say that it sucks or is terrible. 

That said, as much as I agree with the general premise of the OP video, I would have worded it differently.  Instead of say "Why modern music is awful" I would have said something like "Why modern music is inferior".  I have this thing about calling any music "bad".  Pretty much any music ever made is liked or loved by someone and if it makes that someone feel good, well, that is not "bad".  You or I may like care for it, but it isn't bad.  Stealing, cheating, lying, abusing, harming- those things are bad.  But music?  I don't think so.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    lol punk sucks yeah ok , bootlegger why don’t you tell us what genre is the best ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited December 2018
    I googled some of Cardi B's lyrics.  Not "bad" according to many, but really...what in the fuckity fuck is this fuckery?

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me
    If you wanted to
    These expensive, these is red bottoms
    These is bloody shoes
    Hit the store, I can get 'em both
    I don't wanna choose
    And I'm quick, cut a nigga off
    So don't get comfortable
    Look, I don't dance now
    I make money moves
    Say I don't gotta dance
    I make money move
    If I see you and I don't speak
    That means I don't fuck with you
    I'm a boss, you a worker bitch
    I make bloody moves
    Now she says she gon' do what to who?
    Let's find out and see, Cardi B
    You know where I'm at
    You know where I be
    You in the club just to party
    I'm there, I get paid a fee
    I be in and out them banks so much
    I know they're tired of me
    Honestly, don't give a fuck
    'Bout who ain't fond of me
    Dropped two mixtapes in six months
    What bitch working as hard as me?
    I don't bother with these hoes
    Don't let these hoes bother me
    They see pictures, they say goals
    Bitch, I'm who they tryna be
    Look, I might just chill in some Bape
    I might just chill with your boo
    I might just feel on your babe
    My pussy feel like a lake
    He wanna swim with his face
    I'm like okay
    I'll let him do what he want
    He buy me Yves Saint Laurent
    And the new whip
    When I go fast as a horse
    I got the trunk in the front
    I'm the hottest in the street
    Know you prolly heard of me
    Got a bag and fixed my teeth
    Hope you hoes know it ain't cheap
    And I pay my mama bills
    I ain't got no time to chill
    Think these hoes be mad at me
    Their baby father run a bill
    If you wanted to
    These is bloody shoes
    I don't wanna choose
    And I'm quick, cut a nigga off
    Don't get comfortable
    Look, I don't dance now
    I make money moves
    Say I don't gotta dance
    I make money move
    I make bloody moves
    If you a pussy you get popped
    You a goofy, you a opp
    Don't you come around my way
    You can't hang around my block
    And I just checked my accounts
    Turns out, I'm rich, I'm rich, I'm rich
    I put my hand above my hip
    I bet, you dip, he dip, she dip
    I say, I get the money and go
    This shit is hot like a stove
    My pussy glitter as gold
    Tell that li'l bitch play her role
    I just arrove in a Rolls
    I just came up in a Wraith
    I need to fill up the tank
    No, I need to fill up the safe
    I need to let all these hoes know
    That none of they niggas is safe
    I go to dinner and steak
    Only the real can relate
    I used to live in the P's
    Now it's a crib with a gate
    Rollie got charms, look like frosted flakes
    Had to let these bitches know
    Just in case these hoes forgot
    I just run and check the mail
    Another check from Mona Scott
    If you wanted to
    These is bloody shoes
    I don't wanna choose
    And I'm quick, cut a nigga hustle
    Don't get comfortable
    Look, I don't dance now
    I make money moves
    Say I don't gotta dance
    I make money move
    I make bloody moves
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Okay.  I will rephrase and say that I do not like punk music at all.  I realize that a lot of people do and it clearly inspires a lot of musicians.  My thought is that it is less from a musical perspective and more so from a rebellious perspective.   Every song by the Ramones is the same.  I will say the same about Gaslight Anthem.

My top 5 rotation of artists right now is NIN, Nick Cave,Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga and The National. Flame away :). I prefer variety.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Okay.  I will rephrase and say that I do not like punk music at all.  I realize that a lot of people do and it clearly inspires a lot of musicians.  My thought is that it is less from a musical perspective and more so from a rebellious perspective.   Every song by the Ramones is the same.  I will say the same about Gaslight Anthem.

My top 5 rotation of artists right now is NIN, Nick Cave,Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga and The National. Flame away :). I prefer variety.
    Variety yes!  Of the bands and music I like, some example that are the most disparate I would include:

Albert Ayler (free jazz)
    Sandy Bull (a blend of several influences)
    Willie Nelson (country)
    Dinosaur Jr (rock)
    The Beach Boys (surf, pop)

As for The Ramones, yeah, a lot of the songs are very similar but I wouldn't say they are all the same.  For example (and if you hate these, at least sample both songs to see what I mean):

• Options
    This conversation reminds me of when someone said all of the songs by Neil Young and Crazy sound the same.  Listen to the intro to this song for Neil's response, lol:

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

This.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Variety yes!  Of the bands and music I like, some example that are the most disparate I would include:

Albert Ayler (free jazz)
    Sandy Bull (a blend of several influences)
    Willie Nelson (country)
    Dinosaur Jr (rock)
    The Beach Boys (surf, pop)

As for The Ramones, yeah, a lot of the songs are very similar but I wouldn't say they are all the same.  For example (and if you hate these, at least sample both songs to see what I mean):

I like the second song a lot better than the first.  My exposure to punk is the style of the first song.   
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    There is such a thing as slow punk rock?!

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Haven't watched the video, but there's an image of Wrecking Ball in the thumbnail and... that's not a bad song... so...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

I like punk music, but I wouldn't try to convert someone who didn't. And I don't see anything wrong with your current rotation, so I waive my right to flame away. :tongue:
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    This conversation reminds me of when someone said all of the songs by Neil Young and Crazy sound the same.  Listen to the intro to this song for Neil's response, lol:

Hahahaha. I love this song btw.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I first loved hip hop from the 80s then I got into punk rock and from that into all forms of rock. Punk was my foundation to explore further.