Internet trolls....who so unkind?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Feeling upset by this :-(

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Forgive my ignorance, but what am I missing here besides one adolescent comment?  Unless "laughing at lobsters" involves neither mirth nor crustaceans. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Oh, it's on the Victorian state election this Saturday.
    The opposition leader dined with an alleged mafia figure at a lobster restaurant.
    Since then he's been made fun of online and in public.
    In this case, people dressed as lobsters hijacked his event and danced behind the camera during a news cross.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    yay
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Eh, toughen up buttercup.
    There are people starving, being raped, murdered, and tortured right at this second somewhere in the world. 
    Internet snark is no big deal.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:
    Eh, toughen up buttercup.
    There are people starving, being raped, murdered, and tortured right at this second somewhere in the world. 
    Internet snark is no big deal.
    Your comment puts everything into perspective.  Well said.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited November 2018
    This is the most mild trolling I've ever seen. Yes, I have to agree, you need to just toughen that skin of yours a bit, or else you're going to have problems on any kind of social media platform.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Been depressed about it. Do I really look like someone who sleeps with their mum? Do I look like a meth smoker? Do I look like a lady?
    yay
    You're weird. Go birds...
    Been depressed about it. Do I really look like someone who sleeps with their mum? Do I look like a meth smoker? Do I look like a lady?
    No. And stop taking anything a facebook troll says seriously, for real. Learn to laugh it off. You're making their "job" too easy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    No. And stop taking anything a facebook troll says seriously, for real. Learn to laugh it off. You're making their "job" too easy.
    You have not seen what I look like.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, lol, you know what? I actually confused you with someone else whose photo I have seen, sorry. But seriously, lol. how does someone look like they sleep with their mom?? Just that part should have informed you of the idiocy of the comments.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, lol, you know what? I actually confused you with someone else whose photo I have seen, sorry. But seriously, lol. how does someone look like they sleep with their mom?? Just that part should have informed you of the idiocy of the comments.
    I am too embarrassed to reveal my face given my history on here. 
  • What has anyone's face got to do with pearl jam or even this forum. We all look different I can guarantee that. And not many like the way they look. We all think we look odd. But nobody really should be bothered .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Just block the guy and move on. As I was hinting on in the other thread, people that have to insult you, put you down, or attempt to make you feel bad are not happy with their own lives. Those kind of people have to bring other people down to feel better about their shitty self. And if you show weakness, they’ll just continue to troll. That’s how trolls and bullies operate.
    You can do one of three things here. 1) Ignore it or 2) respond kindly, those two will show you aren’t phased by the remark which is the opposite of what a troll feeds on. Or you can 3) be a smart ass and reply “No but I slept with your mom last night.”
    What has anyone's face got to do with pearl jam or even this forum. We all look different I can guarantee that. And not many like the way they look. We all think we look odd. But nobody really should be bothered .
    I just wish to remain anonymous given my history here and the fact there are some that don't think well of me.
    Just block the guy and move on. As I was hinting on in the other thread, people that have to insult you, put you down, or attempt to make you feel bad are not happy with their own lives. Those kind of people have to bring other people down to feel better about their shitty self. And if you show weakness, they’ll just continue to troll. That’s how trolls and bullies operate.
    You can do one of three things here. 1) Ignore it or 2) respond kindly, those two will show you aren’t phased by the remark which is the opposite of what a troll feeds on. Or you can 3) be a smart ass and reply “No but I slept with your mom last night.”
    I was thinking of the third option but don't want a guy looking for me to beat me up.
    Thanks for the words.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited November 2018
    I can see why you would be bummed.  I started a thread on another forum (not PJ) that I titled "Do I Look Like a Target?" in which I told my story about being accosted and nearly assaulted (the guy did whack my car with a club and his skate board).  My avatar on that forum was the same as it is on this one.  The first response I got was, "No, you look gay."  Not that I care if people think I'm gay (I'm not, but so what if I was?), but that someone would actually write that as a  put-down instead of showing some empathy or at least ignoring the thread really bugged me.

Yes, as Gambs said, there are far more serious matters in the world- starvation, rape, murder, etc.- but unkindness to others is the root of much evil and I believe calling people out on unkindness is just fine. 

If it were me, my friend, I would block this person and have no further dealing with them. Their loss, not yours.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited November 2018
    That sucks Brian. I remember you had an incident with some crazy guy.
    I often get thought of as gay because I have never had a girlfriend.
    Here is another one from overnight, this one regarding Trump's thanksgiving narcissism, doesn't take much for them to be nasty...

Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    curious, are your setings set to public or friends or you only?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Anyone who comments on your wall and is nasty towards you should not be a friend. Unfriend and block. And as mickeyrat said, make sure that you are posting to friends (and not friends of friends too because you are not responsible for the idiots your friends like) and not public. If you are posting to public, close that down immediately.

People who troll gain strength from the misery they cause. Do not feed the trolls. And do not let them see your FB posts. Check your privacy settings and block a troll. Social media can be a really great way to communicate and it also can be an extremely harmful tool for people who like to hurt others.

What this person is saying has nothing to do with you. They are just saying the basic asshole stuff that upsets people. They don't know you so block anyone who talks to you that way. Now.
    edited November 2018
    Not my friends, they are strangers.
    I have my account on private. Only friends can see my wall content.
    These are comments I make on news pages, not what I post up, sorry for the confusion.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    The comment sections of online content bring out the worst in some people.  I avoid any comment section regarding Trump.  I have Trump is an idiot policy.  If someone talks Trump, I say "he's an idiot". end of discussion.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018
    The comment sections of online content bring out the worst in some people.  I avoid any comment section regarding Trump.  I have Trump is an idiot policy.  If someone talks Trump, I say "he's an idiot". end of discussion.
    The comments sections are a cesspool. I occasionally will read a comments thread when it is funny, but most times it is just a place for hate and nastiness to breed. And if it's about Trump, forget it.
    njnancy said:
    The comments sections are a cesspool. I occasionally will read a comments thread when it is funny, but most times it is just a place for hate and nastiness to breed. And if it's about Trump, forget it.
    Agreed.  The hate in those comment section is terrible.  A local newspaper I used to read had to turn off the comment section because of the vile and hatred...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    Agreed.  The hate in those comment section is terrible.  A local newspaper I used to read had to turn off the comment section because of the vile and hatred...
    Even youtube has to turn off comments for some music videos. Music for crying out loud. Why are you trolling a band you don't like? I don't get how people get enjoyment out of being an asshole. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Even youtube has to turn off comments for some music videos. Music for crying out loud. Why are you trolling a band you don't like? I don't get how people get enjoyment out of being an asshole. 
    My guess is they are either very bored or have low self esteem and trolling somehow makes them feel better.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• It is a low esteem problem the world now has.
    I think in no small part because of social media. I see it with the kids. Just lately im done with any kind of any computer use.  I only come here
     That s it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited November 2018
    These are comments I make on news pages, not what I post up, sorry for the confusion.
    Everyone gets trolled on public discussion threads. Seriously. Just ignore it and move on. If you can't ignore that stuff, you need to get off Facebook.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Everyone gets trolled on public discussion threads. Seriously. Just ignore it and move on. If you can't ignore that stuff, you need to get off Facebook.
    I never comment in threads based off articles or videos or any number of comment threads that occur outside of my chosen spaces. Posting in those threads is just an invitation for ridicule and if you aren't a person who happens to enjoy that type of thing then just stay away.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I try. It's like an addiction, I can't help but to comment.