Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I honestly don't understand this rockstar image we give to some politicians.  I mean the Repubs did it with Palin and the Dems seem to be doing it with this representative and Beto.  I guess maybe the current politicians are so awful we love seeing smart or charismatic (sometimes both) young candidates and get a wee bit too excited too quickly?

Obama was another one...he lived up to the rockstar status for those that liked him though and won national election. So it's possible.

But why does a new person have to be the next best thing since ...whatever you thought the last next best thing was?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I honestly don't understand this rockstar image we give to some politicians.  I mean the Repubs did it with Palin and the Dems seem to be doing it with this representative and Beto.  I guess maybe the current politicians are so awful we love seeing smart or charismatic (sometimes both) young candidates and get a wee bit too excited too quickly?

Obama was another one...he lived up to the rockstar status for those that liked him though and won national election. So it's possible.

But why does a new person have to be the next best thing since ...whatever you thought the last next best thing was?
    I'm interested in here because she is from my state mainly.

She is full of energy and reminds me of Mr Smith goes To Washington.

It will be interesting to see what she can accomplish but yes she has very quickly risen in ranks much like beto and Obama did before her.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824

It could be a reflection of how most of 'em, within each party, are pretty much the same.  They tend to be older, stuffy, and almost afraid to do the things that will get them noticed.  I think we (the greater "we") are always looking for someone to inject some energy....someone like Beto or AOC does that.  Someone like Schumer or Pelosi does not.  Of course, that could be said of Palin (as you say) or Trump, as well.  They were both different; spit in the face of convention and attracted people because they were "different."  From a policy perspective, this energy is generally neither better nor worse.  

The other possibility, is the people we've mentioned (AOC, Beto, Trump, Palin) are very polarizing; quick to be hated by the other side.  I think that kinda galvanizes the bases; the enemy of my enemy is my friend.  The libtards really hate Trump, so I am on board with anything he does.  Wow, AOC seems to be freaking conservatives out...now I'm going to hype her every chance I get.

It's kinda always been that way, though. Clinton with the saxophone, W's homespun stupidity, and whatever it was that made Old Man Reagan seem like such a ray of sunshine.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

Did Obama come across as a rock star or was that part of the media thing?  To me he came across (and still does) as someone who is intelligent, well spoken, classy, conscientious and presidential.

And there there's Sarah Palin and old Donald whats-his-name.  Holy crap, don't get me started!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    brianlux said:

Did Obama come across as a rock star or was that part of the media thing?  To me he came across (and still does) as someone who is intelligent, well spoken, classy, conscientious and presidential.

And there there's Sarah Palin and old Donald whats-his-name.  Holy crap, don't get me started!
    I was talking about people talking up young politicians like they are rockstars. Everything they do is right, nothing wrong. Will save the universe! 

I wasnt mentioning people acting acting like rockstars. But since you did...Palin did, trump does, Beto does and Alexandria does. Obama did not.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279

I'm interested in here because she is from my state mainly.

She is full of energy and reminds me of Mr Smith goes To Washington.

It will be interesting to see what she can accomplish but yes she has very quickly risen in ranks much like beto and Obama did before her.
    I think her act is already wearing thin. I find her extremely annoying on social media. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    commie.  i only said that to clear 336 unread posts.  she coo
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Wish it had some sources, would love to hear more about "22 percent [of millennials] have never heard of the Holocaust"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Wish it had some sources, would love to hear more about "22 percent [of millennials] have never heard of the Holocaust"
    I heard that statistic before.  There was a poll done and I couldn't believe it either.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    calling an entire generation ignorant made me stop reading. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
  • Options
    and where do people learn about such historical events? SCHOOL. 

don't blame a generation. blame the shitty school ciriculum. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    She's a dumb-ass who doesn't know that we have a bicameral Congress.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHT3kdEQXT0
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

While I don't excuse anyone for not knowing about Auschwitz specifically, how that manifests is the important piece of it.  Do they believe Jews control the banking system?  Do they believe Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus?  Do they believe the Jews are running a global cabal to persecute people?  If the answer is no, compared to previous generations, then the lesson of the Holocaust is sticking and the most important point.  Millenials, I believe, have much less racial and religious animosity than previous generations, which is far more important than knowing that Auschwitz was the worst of the camps.  
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    To be fair, 1 in 3 Europeans don't know anything, or know very little about the Holocaust as well. 

Third of Europeans know little or nothing about Holocaust

As HfD said, shitty school curriculum. I don't think it is a problem with millenials, with Americans, or whatever. It seems as if it is no longer really being taught in schools worldwide. And if millennials don't know anything about it, it is only because the Boomers and GenXers didn't properly teach them. Don't blame them.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Only partially. I actually doubt the curriculum has changed much , at least with respect to teaching the Holocaust.  I've heard about the Holocaust more from talking to family and my parents than I did in school. I seriously doubt there is a significant number of schools that don't cover it. But the problem is they hear it in school and that is all. They don't sit down and eat dinner as a family and talk about life anymore. How many times did I learn about it in school? Probably just two or three times. And how many times did I talk about it afterwards? Hundreds. 
    I guess the parents can be as much to blame as the kids. Its still shocking to me.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Only partially. I actually doubt the curriculum has changed much , at least with respect to teaching the Holocaust.  I've heard about the Holocaust more from talking to family and my parents than I did in school. I seriously doubt there is a significant number of schools that don't cover it. But the problem is they hear it in school and that is all. They don't sit down and eat dinner as a family and talk about life anymore. How many times did I learn about it in school? Probably just two or three times. And how many times did I talk about it afterwards? Hundreds. 
    I guess the parents can be as much to blame as the kids. Its still shocking to me.
    true, but at least when I was growing up, dinner time conversation about any given topic was sparked by what we were learning about in school, or by what was on the news that day. my parents rarely, if ever, brought up a historical event, even a major one as the holocaust, without it occuring naturally in conversation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:

true, but at least when I was growing up, dinner time conversation about any given topic was sparked by what we were learning about in school, or by what was on the news that day. my parents rarely, if ever, brought up a historical event, even a major one as the holocaust, without it occuring naturally in conversation. 
    That's probably true for most. My parents never said "so what's your opinion on the Holocaust, eh?"
    I doubt schools cover something like that less than they did 20 years ago. Maybe they do, but I just doubt it. What I am saying is I think we are seeing the impact of less family time. There's tons of research out there that shows family time is less and less every year. And for me, learning about something like that in school didn't do a whole lot for me. It was coming home and being excited about what I Just learned and asking my dad more about it. I wanted to know the stories school wouldn't tell us. I wanted to know how something like that can even happen, or was it even real? Now kids have more homework, and the free time they have is spent on x-box. They don't have that family time anymore. I think that is probably the difference. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited January 2019
    Part of it is probably related to the idea that as each generation gets further removed from it, it sort of goes away from our minds through attrition.  For example, my grandfather fought in WWII.  My father learned about that era directly from him and probably read more WWII-era history books than 99.9% of the population.  Me?  I come out of the "right" side of these questions (e.g., I know what Auschwitz is) but I am not nearly the student of the era my parents were.  Growing up with them (my dad in particular) gave me that base...it was second-nature to him.  But if I were to have kids (I'm not gonna), I'd probably have to make a specific effort to make sure they get that base...and I should...but human nature probably shows that the understanding of this period is going to dissipate in most households. 

Regarding school, I don't remember learning about the Holocaust at school.  I probably did, but I picked up most of my knowledge at home.

Two other thoughts: 1) Parents do need to expose their kids to important history like this but how many adults even now have a lot of interested?  2) There probably is no more important part of history to learn from and to make sure to avoid repeating.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That's probably true for most. My parents never said "so what's your opinion on the Holocaust, eh?"
    I doubt schools cover something like that less than they did 20 years ago. Maybe they do, but I just doubt it. What I am saying is I think we are seeing the impact of less family time. There's tons of research out there that shows family time is less and less every year. And for me, learning about something like that in school didn't do a whole lot for me. It was coming home and being excited about what I Just learned and asking my dad more about it. I wanted to know the stories school wouldn't tell us. I wanted to know how something like that can even happen, or was it even real? Now kids have more homework, and the free time they have is spent on x-box. They don't have that family time anymore. I think that is probably the difference. Just my opinion.
    now that we've been talking about it, I don't recall learning about the holocaust specifically in school. WW2, yes, but the horrors of what the nazis did? I don't recall. I think I learned more about that from Schindler's List to be honest with you. 

my kids school is going the opposite direction, and I agree with it. My 12 year old in grade 7 has ZERO homework. I had loads of it in that grade back in the 80's. But I think that it's true that kids are losing time to themselves in too much after school work. They need to be social, need to be active, etc. or just veg out of if you want. 

some kids that struggle to get their work done in class have homework, but if you can get it done in class, no homework. This is aside from the occasional project that needs to be worked on at home. 

we have dinner time every night except one, where my daughters have dance that overlaps during dinner. Most families we know are the same. I think that changes once the kids get a bit older, but for now, we have LOADS of family time. 

Which is why I have whiskey and weed in the basement. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

now that we've been talking about it, I don't recall learning about the holocaust specifically in school. WW2, yes, but the horrors of what the nazis did? I don't recall. I think I learned more about that from Schindler's List to be honest with you. 

my kids school is going the opposite direction, and I agree with it. My 12 year old in grade 7 has ZERO homework. I had loads of it in that grade back in the 80's. But I think that it's true that kids are losing time to themselves in too much after school work. They need to be social, need to be active, etc. or just veg out of if you want. 

some kids that struggle to get their work done in class have homework, but if you can get it done in class, no homework. This is aside from the occasional project that needs to be worked on at home. 

we have dinner time every night except one, where my daughters have dance that overlaps during dinner. Most families we know are the same. I think that changes once the kids get a bit older, but for now, we have LOADS of family time. 

My kid is now in university, but I recall extensive teaching about the holocaust over several years in primary and middle school. It got to the point that it honestly seemed like overkill - it was a major area of focus in social studies and English, they read novels and biographies, saw movies and studied the geography. Maybe it’s just BC that has such a major focus in the curriculum. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Part of it is probably related to the idea that as each generation gets further removed from it, it sort of goes away from our minds through attrition.  For example, my grandfather fought in WWII.  My father learned about that era directly from him and probably read more WWII-era history books than 99.9% of the population.  Me?  I come out of the "right" side of these questions (e.g., I know what Auschwitz is) but I am not nearly the student of the era my parents were.  Growing up with them (my dad in particular) gave me that base...it was second-nature to him.  But if I were to have kids (I'm not gonna), I'd probably have to make a specific effort to make sure they get that base...and I should...but human nature probably shows that the understanding of this period is going to dissipate in most households. 

Regarding school, I don't remember learning about the Holocaust at school.  I probably did, but I picked up most of my knowledge at home.

Two other thoughts: 1) Parents do need to expose their kids to important history like this but how many adults even now have a lot of interested?  2) There probably is no more important part of history to learn from and to make sure to avoid repeating.
    That definitely will play a part. But not enough to explain why 22% haven't even heard of it. 
    I mean, how long ago was the civil war, and yet we know a lot about it. Again, I learned a little from school, then even more talking about it. Probably spend a few days in school talking about it, then I go home and I even remember asking my parents about it during dinner 30 years ago. I asked did brothers really fight against brothers, and did kids really fight in this war? And we talked about it, how I was about 12 at the time and there were plenty of boys age 12 fighting, and plenty of families split and fought each other. I remember talking about that at dinner with my family, but I don't even remember what teacher I had that year.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

My kid is now in university, but I recall extensive teaching about the holocaust over several years in primary and middle school. It got to the point that it honestly seemed like overkill - it was a major area of focus in social studies and English, they read novels and biographies, saw movies and studied the geography. Maybe it’s just BC that has such a major focus in the curriculum. 

i'll have to ask my daughter if she's learned anything about it yet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Museum of Tolerance.  Find one near you and take your kids.

We learned a lot about the Holocaust in school.  Went to see Anne Frank twice during my middle school and High school years.

Had some teachers show some very serious pictures to us students that is still tattooed in my brain.

Perhaps 9/11 will be the new tragedy that everyone talks about?

Thread integrity:

That FOX piece is also an OPED and not a well written one but oh well...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I think you're going to see a big shift in the next few years. Today kids average a few hours of homework every night in high school. Those who play sports and plan on going to college might not get home until after 7:00, then have tons of homework, so their free time on x-box is from midnight until 2 AM, and then they repeat. Those who don't plan on going to college just blow off the homework and don't do it anyway. Some schools are starting to adopt a no-homework policy. I think you will see more of that in the next few years.
    More studies are being done and are starting to show that kids don't benefit from all this extra work. But instead it actually hurts them. The culture is the opposite, do more work, take harder classes to get ahead and get into a good college and those good kids and really struggling. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Museum of Tolerance.  Find one near you and take your kids.

We learned a lot about the Holocaust in school.  Went to see Anne Frank twice during my middle school and High school years.

Had some teachers show some very serious pictures to us students that is still tattooed in my brain.

Perhaps 9/11 will be the new tragedy that everyone talks about?

Thread integrity:

That FOX piece is also an OPED and not a well written one but oh well...
    we have the Canadian Museum For Human Rights here in the city. I took my nephew a few years back. I plan on taking my girls when they are age appropriate for the concepts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I think you're going to see a big shift in the next few years. Today kids average a few hours of homework every night in high school. Those who play sports and plan on going to college might not get home until after 7:00, then have tons of homework, so their free time on x-box is from midnight until 2 AM, and then they repeat. Those who don't plan on going to college just blow off the homework and don't do it anyway. Some schools are starting to adopt a no-homework policy. I think you will see more of that in the next few years.
    More studies are being done and are starting to show that kids don't benefit from all this extra work. But instead it actually hurts them. The culture is the opposite, do more work, take harder classes to get ahead and get into a good college and those good kids and really struggling. 
    I think the school culture in the US is quite different from Canada. no one is vying for scholarships to "go away to school". here you go to your local university/college, or some go to vancouver/montreal/toronto depending on where their aspirations lie. 

I think our education system is finally catching up to our culture, not the other way around. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    anyway, yes, sorry for the derailment folks! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

That definitely will play a part. But not enough to explain why 22% haven't even heard of it. 
    I mean, how long ago was the civil war, and yet we know a lot about it. Again, I learned a little from school, then even more talking about it. Probably spend a few days in school talking about it, then I go home and I even remember asking my parents about it during dinner 30 years ago. I asked did brothers really fight against brothers, and did kids really fight in this war? And we talked about it, how I was about 12 at the time and there were plenty of boys age 12 fighting, and plenty of families split and fought each other. I remember talking about that at dinner with my family, but I don't even remember what teacher I had that year.
    I blame Texas as the largest purchaser of school text books, they get a disproportionate edit right and thus influence content across the country. I was exposed to the holocaust in junior high and studied it extensively in high school. More importantly, after reading the Diary of Anne Frank I went to my junior high library and followed up with every book I could get my hands on regarding 1939-1945. We also watched black and white film of the liberation of the camps and I remember kids leaving the room in tears. It certainly made me aware that the world is a cruel place due to humankind.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©