Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    That's the kind of joke I would make to those that know me. I like that fine line and recognize that a joke can be just that, and nothing more. 

But I would not make that joke online to a woman I was trying to hook up with. 
    yeah, you could assume domestic abuse humour wouldn't go over well in online dating. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Have you found her yet???
    I had one. But she couldn't take a joke. So it stopped before it began. But let me say:If I behave, can you arrange a spacious hole in the ground?
    Can you tell us what joke(s) she couldn't take? I'm so curious!
    There was a documentary released in Sweden this spring that got a lot of attention. It is about swedish artist Josefin Nilsson who died some time ago. For her late 50th birthday this documentary was released, and what got a lot of focus was a relationship she had in the 90s with a very famous swedish actor (not named in the documentary, but everyone in Sweden knows who they refer to in the film - lets call him Ragnar) that beat her, and harassed her during their relationship and also for a long time afterwards. Real piece of shit. 

The girl I was seeing, told me on messenger she was watching the documentary and how sad it was.

And I responded "So I take it, you are not team Ragnar?"

Pretty much that. Not the most tactful joke, even with its (to me obvious) absurd:ness. But to my defense, it had worked on my colleagues when we discussed the documentary at work.

Yup, that is WAY too sensitive IMO - good call on ditching her before it went further!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    That's the kind of joke I would make to those that know me. I like that fine line and recognize that a joke can be just that, and nothing more. 

I think that if you feel you have to hold back like that in order to "hook up", you shouldn't bother with that person at all. Find someone who can take you as you are. I HATE knowing that guys kind of fake their way through the beginnings of relationships like that, only showing their "best side". That's the WORST. If I'm dating a guy who is okay with something I'm not okay with (not that off-side jokes would qualify for me, of course), I want to know that BEFORE I waste my time, not after.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Yes

We had slept together maybe a dozen times when I told the joke. And the day before that, she had told me her dad had asked if I was coming along to copenhagen when they were gonna celebrate his 60th birthday there.
    Well shit....you were well within your rights to make such a joke. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

We had slept together maybe a dozen times when I told the joke. And the day before that, she had told me her dad had asked if I was coming along to copenhagen when they were gonna celebrate his 60th birthday there.
    Well shit....you were well within your rights to make such a joke. 
    agreed. I thought this was only during the hook up/online phase. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think that if you feel you have to hold back like that in order to "hook up", you shouldn't bother with that person at all. Find someone who can take you as you are. I HATE knowing that guys kind of fake their way through the beginnings of relationships like that, only showing their "best side". That's the WORST. If I'm dating a guy who is okay with something I'm not okay with (not that off-side jokes would qualify for me, of course), I want to know that BEFORE I waste my time, not after.
    it's not "holding back" by not making a domestic abuse joke online (initially what we thought). you don't know if this woman had been abused before. that's just simply not very smart dating tactics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    .... now let me tell you about when a woman at work reported me to HR two we...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Threading gently, and feeling your surroundings and where you have eachother isn't really "faking" it IMO. People do often tell me this though at parties because of my played-up bluntness:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:

it's not "holding back" by not making a domestic abuse joke online (initially what we thought). you don't know if this woman had been abused before. that's just simply not very smart dating tactics. 
    I think it was a really tame joke no matter who the audience was... I think that is more the point. If someone thinks that's an acceptable joke, so that he actually said it comfortably, then she should be on the same page. Obviously she wasn't, which is why he ended it with her. Because she indeed couldn't take a joke that he's okay with. Better to get things like that worked out right away. And of course, you know me when it comes to this - if that kind of joke offends someone enough for it to be "an issue", then I also wouldn't want anything to do with them. The people I want to be around really do have to take jokes a lot better than that, no matter what the subject matter is and their personal connection to the subject matter. Figuring out those limits earlier rather than later is definitely a good thing! Therefore, I think saying such a joke early IS a very smart dating tactic! Find out what you can get away with asap, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Obviously she wasn't, which is why he ended it with her. 
    She ended it with me though. I guess she gave me some kind of open to saying I was sorry. But I didn't take it. I eyerolled my way out of there. Like a man! *highfives*
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    Obviously she wasn't, which is why he ended it with her. 
    She ended it with me though. I guess she gave me some kind of open to saying I was sorry. But I didn't take it. I eyerolled my way out of there. Like a man! *highfives*
    Lol! Well, either way, definitely sounds like it's for the best! Anyone who would dump a person over that isn't worth your time IMO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Threading gently, and feeling your surroundings and where you have eachother isn't really "faking" it IMO. People do often tell me this though at parties because of my played-up bluntness:

exactly. It's not faking who you are. it's just not revealing the full spectrum yet. everyone gets scared away by things before they are comfortable. once it's in context of some type of commitment or familiarity, those things are more often taken with grain of salt. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:

exactly. It's not faking who you are. it's just not revealing the full spectrum yet. everyone gets scared away by things before they are comfortable. once it's in context of some type of commitment or familiarity, those things are more often taken with grain of salt. 
    They'd already slept together 14 times FFS. I think that's enough so that he should be able to get away with a joke she didn't like! Come on now. Believe it or not, I'm a tactful person. I never have a problem with that. I don't tend to offend people left, right, and center, and I don't put any effort into not doing so. But in S_C's case, if he can't say a joke she doesn't like without her dumping him unless he apologizes, then she's the problem, not his joke!
    Although I still stand by my faking it comment. I have dated SO many guys who really did FAKE it through the early days, hiding all their harder to take qualities.... and then exposing them all after I was deeper in. I felt fucking duped. I never did that to them, and never would. They fully knew what they were getting, while I really didn't. Not completely.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

They'd already slept together 14 times FFS. I think that's enough so that he should be able to get away with a joke she didn't like! Come on now. Believe it or not, I'm a tactful person. I never have a problem with that. 
    But he's talking about cases where you haven't been sleeping with the god of love Spiritual_Chaos for up to 14 times...

Any example of what the gentlemen in your life were hiding? Were they Trump voters?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it was a really tame joke no matter who the audience was... I think that is more the point. If someone thinks that's an acceptable joke, so that he actually said it comfortably, then she should be on the same page. Obviously she wasn't, which is why he ended it with her. Because she indeed couldn't take a joke that he's okay with. Better to get things like that worked out right away. And of course, you know me when it comes to this - if that kind of joke offends someone enough for it to be "an issue", then I also wouldn't want anything to do with them. The people I want to be around really do have to take jokes a lot better than that, no matter what the subject matter is and their personal connection to the subject matter. Figuring out those limits earlier rather than later is definitely a good thing! Therefore, I think saying such a joke early IS a very smart dating tactic! Find out what you can get away with asap, lol.
    generally you can "get away with" 100x more stuff when you are in a relationship, or have some type of rapport with the person. I mean, by this, why not just show up on the date in sweats, unshowered, and tell the girl all the kinky things you are into right off the hop? I mean, that's the real sunday morning me, right?

now, SC mentioned having been "together" a dozen times or so, and being invited on some trip, so that must mean some type of relationship with this person. But still, a joke about domestic abuse has its place and with the right person. if she is sensitive to this one subject, I hardly believe that is reason to cast her away. everyone has baggage. maybe that's hers. i would have communicated with her about why it bothered her. maybe she would have shared, maybe she wouldn't have. But she must not have been that important to just cast aside like that for pride about a joke. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

They'd already slept together 14 times FFS. I think that's enough so that he should be able to get away with a joke she didn't like! Come on now. Believe it or not, I'm a tactful person. I never have a problem with that. I don't tend to offend people left, right, and center, and I don't put any effort into not doing so. But in S_C's case, if he can't say a joke she doesn't like without her dumping him unless he apologizes, then she's the problem, not his joke!
    Although I still stand by my faking it comment. I have dated SO many guys who really did FAKE it through the early days, hiding all their harder to take qualities.... and then exposing them all after I was deeper in. I felt fucking duped. I never did that to them, and never would. They fully knew what they were getting, while I really didn't. Not completely.
    first, we are going back and forth on context here. I was mostly speaking about when we originally thought he hadn't even met her yet. 

second, having sex with and being intimate enough to make a joke like that are not even close to the same thing. 

it's hard to know what you mean about "harder to take qualities" without specifics. I'm not talking about being a public masterbater here. Just mean taking it down a notch when you are first feeling out a person. 

and again, you are making it way too black and white here. in her eyes, she easily could be offended, with good reason, over making light of a domestic abuse situation. I don't see how you can categorically judge her for taking offense to it without knowing basically anything about the situation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes
    I do think that someone who would dump a person because they didn't like a joke he said is not someone anyone should want to date, seriously. That's ridiculous. Anyone who would do that is probably super duper rigid, and will head for the hills for any number of reasons at any given time.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I do think that someone who would dump a person because they didn't like a joke he said is not someone anyone should want to date, seriously. That's ridiculous. Anyone who would do that is probably super duper rigid, and will head for the hills for any number of reasons at any given time.
    haha, well, lots of people have sensitive subjects that cause emotional harm to them, which could very well have been the case here.

I wouldn't ever think someone should just "take a joke" about domestic abuse if they had, or known someone who had, suffered through it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

They'd already slept together 14 times FFS. I think that's enough so that he should be able to get away with a joke she didn't like! Come on now. Believe it or not, I'm a tactful person. I never have a problem with that. 
    But he's talking about cases where you haven't been sleeping with the god of love Spiritual_Chaos for up to 14 times...

Any example of what the gentlemen in your life were hiding? Were they Trump voters?
    Just general parts of their personalities, and yes, parts of their senses of humour. Men really do tend to put on their best front for women for way too long when they date. They want to reel the woman in... which to them means they need to hide parts of their true selves. Holy red flag. And honestly, none of the things they chose to hide (like quirks, or opinions about certain things, or a lack of interest in something I'm interested in, so they faked interest, etc etc) would have been deal breakers for me. The deal breaker was always the fact that they weren't just being themselves or weren't being completely honest as they courted me. To me, that shows too much comfort with hiding information or lying. FWIW, all guys who I was with for any amount of time who pulled this were indeed liars by nature.
  • Options
    for instance.....if someone I slept with 14 times had made a joke about physical disabilities, (my mom had polio as a child), there's a very good chance I'd dump them INSTANTLY. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    for instance.....if someone I slept with 14 times had made a joke about physical disabilities, (my mom had polio as a child), there's a very good chance I'd dump them INSTANTLY. 
    WOW. Seriously??? That seems exceedingly unreasonable to me, to the point where I find it hard to believe! Haven't you ever heard of forgiving someone when they do something you don't like??
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just general parts of their personalities, and yes, parts of their senses of humour. Men really do tend to put on their best front for women for way too long when they date. They want to reel the woman in... which to them means they need to hide parts of their true selves. Holy red flag. And honestly, none of the things they chose to hide (like quirks, or opinions about certain things, or a lack of interest in something I'm interested in, so they faked interest, etc etc) would have been deal breakers for me. The deal breaker was always the fact that they weren't just being themselves as they courted me. To me, that shows too much comfort with hiding information or lying. FWIW, all guys who I was with for any amount of time who pulled this were indeed liars by nature.
    that's because most people, not just men, put their best foot forward when meeting people and expect the same. the fact that you expect different, to me, being the minority in the dating world, would suggest it is the responsibility on your part to be open and state right off the bat that you prefer openness from day 1. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Just general parts of their personalities, and yes, parts of their senses of humour. Men really do tend to put on their best front for women for way too long when they date. They want to reel the woman in... which to them means they need to hide parts of their true selves. Holy red flag. And honestly, none of the things they chose to hide (like quirks, or opinions about certain things, or a lack of interest in something I'm interested in, so they faked interest, etc etc) would have been deal breakers for me. The deal breaker was always the fact that they weren't just being themselves as they courted me. To me, that shows too much comfort with hiding information or lying. FWIW, all guys who I was with for any amount of time who pulled this were indeed liars by nature.
    that's because most people, not just men, put their best foot forward when meeting people and expect the same. the fact that you expect different, to me, being the minority in the dating world, would suggest it is the responsibility on your part to be open and state right off the bat that you prefer openness from day 1. 
    You think that makes a difference? It doesn't. I DO always make it clear that I prefer openness. It's one of the defining parts of my personality (and often one of the things the men appreciate about me, ironically). That doesn't fucking mean anything to men who would prefer to just keep up a front until they think they have me roped in.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    WOW. Seriously??? That seems exceedingly unreasonable to me, to the point where I find it hard to believe! Haven't you even heard of forgiving someone when they do something you don't like??
    well, being married to someone for 15 years would suggest I obviously do.

it seems exceedingly unreasonable that I wouldn't want to date someone who has a shitty attitude towards the physically challenged? but it's unreasonable for men to not reveal their whole selves in the first few dates? LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You think that makes a difference? It doesn't. I DO always make it clear that I prefer openness. It's one of the defining parts of my personality (and often one of the things the men appreciate about me, ironically). That doesn't fucking mean anything to men who would prefer to just keep up a front until they think they have me roped in.
    well it would make a difference to a decent guy. IMO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    WOW. Seriously??? That seems exceedingly unreasonable to me, to the point where I find it hard to believe! Haven't you even heard of forgiving someone when they do something you don't like??

it seems exceedingly unreasonable that I wouldn't want to date someone who has a shitty attitude towards the physically challenged? but it's unreasonable for men to not reveal their whole selves in the first few dates? LOL
    Lol, see, someone telling a joke about something actually doesn't tell you or anyone if they have a shitty attitude about anything. Someone with a generally great attitude about the physically challenge may very well still throw out a distasteful joke. Again, you and I are really having a disagreement over JOKES and humour and what they mean or don't mean. We probably don't need to go over that again, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol, see, someone telling a joke about something actually doesn't tell you or anyone if they have a shitty attitude about anything. Someone with a generally great attitude about the physically challenge may very well still throw out a distasteful joke. Again, you and I are really having a disagreement over JOKES and humour and what they mean or don't mean. We probably don't need to go over that again, lol.
    they might. but it also could easily mean the opposite if they are willing to toss a joke like that out that early. 

a joke can often, and does often, have an underlying truth as to the attitude of the person telling it. would I dump someone I had been in a relationship for a year or two years for that? nope. we'd have a discussion about it and move on. but sleeping with a dozen times? for all I know, that number could mean I've known the person for two weeks or a month. that's zero in the grand scheme. all depends on the investment and if I want to keep it or cut bait. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and there can be debate on what jokes are acceptable and what aren't, depending on subject matter, context, and audience. no one person can claim they are "right" when it comes to that. it's all personal preference and opinion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes
    and there can be debate on what jokes are acceptable and what aren't, depending on subject matter, context, and audience. no one person can claim they are "right" when it comes to that. it's all personal preference and opinion. 
    I didn't say that. I'm not claiming I'm "right" in that context. I just think that even when people hate a joke or find it offensive they should be able to chill out and take it as a joke (however terrible and however much it irritated them) instead of dumping someone over it, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    She had dressed up as Ace Frehley when she was a kid though and was a fan by-proxy because of her dad owing some KISS albums. That was pretty cool, back when.