Kavanaugh

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    When I'm at work, I try very hard to not talk politics.  It's a bookstore.  I don't want somebody walking out and saying, "Well I'm not going there again, that place sucks."  The more people read, the more they have a chance of learning some things.

So today, I really had to bite my tongue.  A customer came in asking if we still carried automotive manuals.  I noticed right off his hat with a patch on it that read, "Don't step on my freedom". 

"Hmmm", I thought, "Better stay on the subject of automobiles." 

While we were talking, another customer came up to pay for his books, looked at the dude with the MAGA inspired hat patch and said,  "I really like your hat.  Yesterday was a great day in America." 

"You bet it was," the dude with the hat replied.  I sat there biting my tongue, imagining blood running down my face and shirt from biting so hard, but I kept my cool.

But now I'm home and can speak my mind freely so, excuse me, but I really need to say what I wanted to say to those two dudes;

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING!!!
    Reminds me of a bookstore in my town that recently closed.  It had been focused on kids for years, probably wasn't doing the greatest...maybe breakeven if lucky.  It went up for sale and someone else bought it.  They kept most of the kid theme but added a lot of adult books....unfortunately they were mostly right wing books from Limbaugh, Hannity, etc.  Not a good way to greet your new clientele when most of the people coming to the bookstore lived in the downtown area and were more than likely left leaning.

I think they lasted about a year....probably long enough to wait out their lease, then they closed.  It's an antique store now.
    Sounds like liberals don’t like to read? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mcgruff10 said:
    Interesting if true:
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/big-bang-theory-star-johnny-000420662.html
    “The 49 Senators who voted ‘No’ on Kavanaugh represent 181.8 million Americans,” he continued. “The 51 Senators who voted ‘Yes’ represent 143.2 million.”
    His implication leaves out the fact that not everyone in a state voted for one or both Senators. It also ignores how people felt about this particular issue.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am definitely pro choice but I do believe that there should be some sort of limits. Maybe beginning of the third trimester?
    pretty sure thats the current standard most everywhere except in cases where the woman life is in jeooardy.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Had to register for either Rep or Dem to be eligible to vote in November here in NY ...
    what? I can understand about primaries but an actual election? wtf?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    That isnt true
    mickeyrat said:
    Had to register for either Rep or Dem to be eligible to vote in November here in NY ...
    Do I need to enroll in a political party? 
    You do not need to enroll in a political party to vote in general elections. However, registering as a member of a political party allows you to vote in that party’s primary elections, to help decide who will be that party’s candidates for the general election.
    https://www.nyccfb.info/nyc-votes/faq

hippiemom = goodness
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    When I'm at work, I try very hard to not talk politics.  It's a bookstore.  I don't want somebody walking out and saying, "Well I'm not going there again, that place sucks."  The more people read, the more they have a chance of learning some things.

So today, I really had to bite my tongue.  A customer came in asking if we still carried automotive manuals.  I noticed right off his hat with a patch on it that read, "Don't step on my freedom". 

While we were talking, another customer came up to pay for his books, looked at the dude with the MAGA inspired hat patch and said,  "I really like your hat.  Yesterday was a great day in America." 

"You bet it was," the dude with the hat replied.  I sat there biting my tongue, imagining blood running down my face and shirt from biting so hard, but I kept my cool.

But now I'm home and can speak my mind freely so, excuse me, but I really need to say what I wanted to say to those two dudes;

Reminds me of a bookstore in my town that recently closed.  It had been focused on kids for years, probably wasn't doing the greatest...maybe breakeven if lucky.  It went up for sale and someone else bought it.  They kept most of the kid theme but added a lot of adult books....unfortunately they were mostly right wing books from Limbaugh, Hannity, etc.  Not a good way to greet your new clientele when most of the people coming to the bookstore lived in the downtown area and were more than likely left leaning.

I think they lasted about a year....probably long enough to wait out their lease, then they closed.  It's an antique store now.
    Adult books
    I don't understand

I SAW PEARL JAM
    First official picture of the new court....

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

I hope someday Limbaugh and company and their thinking become antiques as well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mickeyrat said:
    First official picture of the new court....

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mickeyrat said:
    I was wrong i thought i couldn't vote in midterm elections i just went back and looked and i can but now i registered as a democrat i'm just gonna leave it and change it back to Independent after November , i know for sure i was turned away from the primaries a couple of yrs back as i was not registered as a D or R ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    When Nixon ran for president, I registered Republican so I could vote against him in the primaries.  I never thought Trump had a chance or I would have done that in 2016.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mickeyrat said:
    I was wrong i thought i couldn't vote in midterm elections i just went back and looked and i can but now i registered as a democrat i'm just gonna leave it and change it back to Independent after November , i know for sure i was turned away from the primaries a couple of yrs back as i was not registered as a D or R ...
    Does that not make perfect sense though?
    Why should someone not in the party get to vote who is that party's representative? 
    Everyone gets to vote in the final election. 
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Why should someone not in the party get to vote who is that party's representative? 
    so you are saying those unaffiliated with a particular party should only be allowed in half the process? fuck that.

brianlux said:
    When Nixon ran for president, I registered Republican so I could vote against him in the primaries.  I never thought Trump had a chance or I would have done that in 2016.
    I've often wondered about that in 2020. There's at least a decent chance Trump gets primaried. What's the strategy if your politics are left-of-center? Take the R ballot and vote for a challenger or choose among the D candidates?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    I've often wondered about that in 2020. There's at least a decent chance Trump gets primaried. What's the strategy if your politics are left-of-center? Take the R ballot and vote for a challenger or choose among the D candidates?
    The strategy is who cares, let the country get what it deserves
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    so you are saying those unaffiliated with a particular party should only be allowed in half the process? fuck that.
    Well yeah. If you aren’t apart of the party you shouldn’t be picking their candidate. I understand what you are saying but it’s really not that big of a deal to register and re-register party affiliate. 

I personally would prefer it if independents could vote in 1 primary of their choosing though.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Well yeah. If you aren’t apart of the party you shouldn’t be picking their candidate. I understand what you are saying but it’s really not that big of a deal to register and re-register party affiliate. 

I personally would prefer it if independents could vote in 1 primary of their choosing though.
    That's how it works in Massachusetts. I'm registered Independent and can choose my ballot in a primary. If you're registered with a party, you're locked into that party's ballot.
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

well we do have that in Ohio. no need to change registration.

pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    Good question.  I think a lot depends on who the dems come up with.

pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's how it works in Massachusetts. I'm registered Independent and can choose my ballot in a primary. If you're registered with a party, you're locked into that party's ballot.
    I’ve seen that in a few states. Don’t know which ones. When I was in Iowa you had to be registered for a party. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

well we do have that in Ohio. no need to change registration.
    Yup, I shoulda said some states had that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    If that process is to put forward a nomination, yes.
    Why should someone who is not affiliated with any group have a say who their nominee is?
    You can still vote, no one is saying if you aren't part of a party you can't vote. But why should a democrat help decide who the republicans put forward as a nominee?
    Most people who do just vote for the worse candidate just to make their look better anyway.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I think you should be registered to a party to vote in that primary.  Perhaps in days past there was a gentlecarbonbasedlifeform's agreement that you would not interfere with a party you don't plan on voting for, but those days are long gone.
    Jason P said:
    I think you should be registered to a party to vote in that primary.  Perhaps in days past there was a gentlecarbonbasedlifeform's agreement that you would not interfere with a party you don't plan on voting for, but those days are long gone.
    Exactly. Those who vote outside their party aren't voting for someone, they are really voting against someone else. Interfere was a good word, they are attempting to put someone else on the ballot than who they believe the party will vote for.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Why should someone who is not affiliated with any group have a say who their nominee is?
    You can still vote, no one is saying if you aren't part of a party you can't vote. But why should a democrat help decide who the republicans put forward as a nominee?
    Most people who do just vote for the worse candidate just to make their look better anyway.

If that's so bad, then why is it ok to donate money to a party then run against that party at a later date? Certainly big money has more impact than a single vote?

Trump gave tons of money to the dems and Clintons when he believed it could help him out when they were in power. Then he switched to GOP when he realized he could con them to vote for him by attacking Obama's citizenship

Seems to me if I am an independent and want to cast a single vote in either  of the primaries, that would be far less damaging to our country 
    edited October 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

If that's so bad, then why is it ok to donate money to a party then run against that party at a later date? Certainly big money has more impact than a single vote?

Trump gave tons of money to the dems and Clintons when he believed it could help him out when they were in power. Then he switched to GOP when he realized he could con them to vote for him by attacking Obama's citizenship

Seems to me if I am an independent and want to cast a single vote in either  of the primaries, that would be far less damaging to our country 
    It was just explained. 
    Those who vote in the primaries in another party usually have no intent on voting for that person again. It is to sabotage the other party's nominee, so they put forth a less qualified one.
    And that is the purpose of such voting laws, to prevent that. So that registered repubs don;t go vote Bernie Sanders in believe they have a better chance beating him, they should be allowed to vote on who they think is best, not who the other party thinks is worse. 
    Why shouldn't the dems and repubs have their own say in who they nominate?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

It was just explained. 
    Those who vote in the primaries in another party usually have no intent on voting for that person again. It is to sabotage the other party's nominee, so they put forth a less qualified one.
    And that is the purpose of such voting laws, to prevent that. So that registered repubs don;t go vote Bernie Sanders in believe they have a better chance beating him, they should be allowed to vote on who they think is best, not who the other party thinks is worse. 
    I suspect someone intent on showing up to vote against a candidate would just switch their party affiliation ahead of time. It's not difficult.

I really like having the option as an Independent. Especially in a Presidential primary - by the time Massachusetts' was held in 2016 several candidates had dropped out. I took the D ballot but probably would have taken the R if it was a couple months earlier.
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

It was just explained. 
    I suspect someone intent on showing up to vote against a candidate would just switch their party affiliation ahead of time. It's not difficult.

I really like having the option as an Independent. Especially in a Presidential primary - by the time Massachusetts' was held in 2016 several candidates had dropped out. I took the D ballot but probably would have taken the R if it was a couple months earlier.
    Thats true, it really isnt difficult. But the intent of the rule is still the same. Its to keep the integrity of the election. Yes, some will always find ways around it. 
    Its like all the senior class voting for the ugly girl for prom nominee for the jr class, so their senior girl can easily win in the final vote.