Options

The Pearl Jam merchandise mania has totally gotten out of hand

Comments

• Options

Honest question, followed by my personal experience: 

What is it that makes so many feel like it is out of hand?  I feel like it’s well known that supplies are limited, lines are long, and often the people who get there super-early are there to buy lots of merchandise, probably to flip.

I went to Seattle and Missoula knowing all of this information and got in line early (like 5:50 am early in Seattle on Friday,) because I wanted certain items and knew this was my best bet, albeit somewhat inconvenient. I got everything I wanted and got to spend the rest of the day hanging out in Seattle until the show. 

I had the same experience in Missoula. 

It seems like the folks who are frustrated are unwilling to recognize the simple truth that you have to be willing to be inconvenienced a bit by lining up super early. I don’t think there’s any other trick, or ‘merch hack.’ 

Anyway, just my two cents. I understand that it would be frustrating to wait all day and not get something, and obviously I’m aware that not everyone’s situation allows for early lineups etc., but it seems like a lot of threads have been devoted to rants about merch, and my experience is that some of this frustration is avoidable, but to reiterate, you may have to be willing to be inconvenienced. 

Also, so glad I was there for Seattle 2, what a show.

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,117

I went to Seattle and Missoula knowing all of this information and got in line early (like 5:50 am early in Seattle on Friday,) because I wanted certain items and knew this was my best bet, albeit somewhat inconvenient. I got everything I wanted and got to spend the rest of the day hanging out in Seattle until the show. 

It seems like the folks who are frustrated are unwilling to recognize the simple truth that you have to be willing to be inconvenienced a bit by lining up super early. I don’t think there’s any other trick, or ‘merch hack.’ 

Anyway, just my two cents. I understand that it would be frustrating to wait all day and not get something, and obviously I’m aware that not everyone’s situation allows for early lineups etc., but it seems like a lot of threads have been devoted to rants about merch, and my experience is that some of this frustration is avoidable, but to reiterate, you may have to be willing to be inconvenienced. 

I 100% agree. And I did the same 3 shows as you. Cheers!
    I also got all the merch I wanted and lined up early. So, I’m with you again. 

My issue is this: I’m gonna spend the money. Make it easier for me to do so. Let me order the poster, stickers, and my shirt online, with my 10Club ticket receipt.  I would rather give my money to PJ than a flipper. Don’t make me get up at the crack of dawn on a concert day, to stand in line for 3 hours, to give you my hard earned money. I’m gonna buy the bootleg, too. Just take my whole fucking paycheck. It’s fine. But make it easy on me. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,187
    Milestone said:
    I would rather give my money to PJ than a flipper. Don’t make me get up at the crack of dawn on a concert day, to stand in line for 3 hours, to give you my hard earned money. I’m gonna buy the bootleg, too. Just take my whole fucking paycheck. It’s fine. But make it easy on me. 
    :lol: Agreed!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    jeremyjmcbjeremyjmcb Posts: 126
    edited September 2018
    Milestone said:
    I would rather give my money to PJ than a flipper. Don’t make me get up at the crack of dawn on a concert day, to stand in line for 3 hours, to give you my hard earned money. I’m gonna buy the bootleg, too. Just take my whole fucking paycheck. It’s fine. But make it easy on me. 
    :lol: Agreed!

Whole paycheck! So True!
    Post edited by jeremyjmcb on
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Milestone said:

I 100% agree. And I did the same 3 shows as you. Cheers!
    I also got all the merch I wanted and lined up early. So, I’m with you again. 

My issue is this: I’m gonna spend the money. Make it easier for me to do so. Let me order the poster, stickers, and my shirt online, with my 10Club ticket receipt.  I would rather give my money to PJ than a flipper. Don’t make me get up at the crack of dawn on a concert day, to stand in line for 3 hours, to give you my hard earned money. I’m gonna buy the bootleg, too. Just take my whole fucking paycheck. It’s fine. But make it easy on me. 
      This^
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    I learned by the age of 9 that the kid next door sometimes had cooler toys, some different stickers or hockey cards than me, but it was alright, you can't have everything you want in this life. 
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited September 2018
    There’s a mint 1998 Chicago/Alpine poster on eBay right now for over $1190 with bidders (plural).Crazy
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options

For me I think it is out of hand for partly that reason, like it just didn't used to be that crazy of a commitment to get posters, at least from my experience, right?  At least during the 2013 shows I remember getting the posters 2 hours before showtime no problem, and only getting to the GA line 1 hour before doors open

All in all I am not a huge merch guy, so it doesn't matter that much to me either way because to me I am not willing to go through the craziness to get this stuff, but it does concern me regarding how many hoops people have to jump through to get these items nowadays when it doesn't have to be this way
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752

For me I think it is out of hand for partly that reason, like it just didn't used to be that crazy of a commitment to get posters, at least from my experience, right?  At least during the 2013 shows I remember getting the posters 2 hours before showtime no problem, and only getting to the GA line 1 hour before doors open

All in all I am not a huge merch guy, so it doesn't matter that much to me either way because to me I am not willing to go through the craziness to get this stuff, but it does concern me regarding how many hoops people have to jump through to get these items nowadays when it doesn't have to be this way
    Truth, I’ve gotten so many posters on the way OUT the door prior to about 2009. Its the people that weren’t at the show that drive up the poster price; the collectors of.....what?
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    20 of the Thomas the Train variants are on the bay. That is 20% of that posters production.  14 of the Boston Williams posters are there too.  Clearly bots are winning those sales.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,968

Honest question, followed by my personal experience: 

What is it that makes so many feel like it is out of hand?  I feel like it’s well known that supplies are limited, lines are long, and often the people who get there super-early are there to buy lots of merchandise, probably to flip.

Also, so glad I was there for Seattle 2, what a show.

But where does this end. Say people take your advice and people arrive at 5.50am. Then the advice will be you need to arrive at 4am. 

All of this is a waste of people's time.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,697
    Hopefully when the 10c drop all the posters (and hopefully flood the market) that will fuck with alot of the ebay sellers. Yesterday a regular Fairclough poster failed to sell for $20 on the bay
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    There’s a mint 1998 Chicago/Alpine poster on eBay right now for over $1190 with bidders (plural).Crazy
    That’s not crazy.  Crazy is that a folded in half version of that poster sold last week for 2k. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    mrk2 said:
    I learned by the age of 9 that the kid next door sometimes had cooler toys, some different stickers or hockey cards than me, but it was alright, you can't have everything you want in this life. 
    9? Nine? What took you so long? 
  • Options
    jeremyjmcbjeremyjmcb Posts: 126
    edited September 2018
    tino_11 said:

But where does this end. Say people take your advice and people arrive at 5.50am. Then the advice will be you need to arrive at 4am. 

All of this is a waste of people's time.
    I guess my point (and I’m not saying I’m correct,) is that I don’t think everyone will be willing to get up early and spend that much time waiting. So it’s not so much advice as just my experience on how I personally guarantee I get all the merch items I want. It sounds like not everyone is so willing to commit to these early hours and long waits. 

And while it may be viewed  as a waste of time, it’s also a personal choice to get merch. At this stage of the game it seems like lining up early may be the only way to get it all. For me it’s not a waste because it’s become part of my PJ experience and I account for the long wait during my trip.

All this said, I get the frustration. I avoid it utilizing the methods I mentioned. By no means do I think it’s feasible for everyone, just wanted to share my experience.

When the next tour comes around I’ll be up bright and early and one of the first in line. Come say hi if you’re there too! 

• Options
    Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited September 2018

Post edited by Mikemzl91 on
  • Options
    Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited September 2018
    Delete
    Post edited by Mikemzl91 on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    edited September 2018
    oops
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    JB56195 said:
    20 of the Thomas the Train variants are on the bay. That is 20% of that posters production.  14 of the Boston Williams posters are there too.  Clearly bots are winning those sales.
    I misread this the first time and didn't see "variant" and didnt think 20 was a big deal at all.
    That actually is pretty crazy that 20 of the variants are already on ebay,
  • Options
    Why not print another small run on all the posters that sold well at the shows? Maybe 300 of each to sell through the shop for the 10C members.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,217
    lol.... I always a tshirt/poster from every show I go to, but unfortunately this one is probably going to live it's life out in a poster tube in the closet.    Not the greatest one I've seen.
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    Bottom line is the flippers are winning the poster battle, even on the online sales.  I wish pj would make it easier for the real fans, but it’s clear they like the current system 
  • Options
    I'd argue a majority of the posters are ending up in fans hands. While there is probably a decent percentage that go up on ebay (20% is an outlier because its an AP variant), fans are getting them for their $35 price. 

• Options
    I'd argue a majority of the posters are ending up in fans hands. While there is probably a decent percentage that go up on ebay (20% is an outlier because its an AP variant), fans are getting them for their $35 price. 

No way, the vast majority of PJ posters are selling for at least double on Ebay, even the ugly crappy ones
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

No way, the vast majority of PJ posters are selling for at least double on Ebay, even the ugly crappy ones
    If they make thousands of posters I dont think even close to half of each poster ends up going up on ebay...at least not in the days immediately following the release. 
    I agree that it is out of hand but I think you are overstating the issue if you think they make 10,000 posters and the vast majority end up on eBay.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Just scored this sweet Klausen Bill Hicks poster, so of course I had to get the 2018 Santiago Klausen to hang to the left of it, side by side

• Options

If they make thousands of posters I dont think even close to half of each poster ends up going up on ebay...at least not in the days immediately following the release. 
    I agree that it is out of hand but I think you are overstating the issue if you think they make 10,000 posters and the vast majority end up on eBay.
    it would be interesting to know exactly how many of each poster they make
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Do not know the story behind it but I love that BK Hicks poster.
    The Santiago is so awesome in person.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Do not know the story behind it but I love that BK Hicks poster.
    The Santiago is so awesome in person.
    yeah I figured the mystical woman in her traditional garb sort pointing to a also mystical Bill Hicks, it seems like the perfect compliment, Klausen usually makes some awesome posters
  • Options

I've been following the Wrigley posters. The only one selling for significantly more than $35 is the train poster.
    Purple Ames is going for maybe $50, the chick about face value, and the other 2 are probably losing money if they try to flip them (if you ficure shipping and fees).
    They are some extreme examples that sold for, but there are plenty that sell for that range. Even seen a few of the Ames posters sell for $50 and free shipping. They didn't make any money on that. 
    But Wrigley had a lot of ugly posters this run.