do the band really rate lightning bolt

13»

Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    I’m over the song Lightning Bolt as well. Not sure why it gets so much love from the band. 
    I think it is one of their best live songs 
    Like Unthought Known, it's got great energy and comes off really well in concert. I try not to think too much about the lyrics of both songs, however, as there is a certain "cheese" factor involved. 

Hey, at least they're happy/grateful for the life they have been given! Not too sure if I would want to attend a PJ concert if they were all miserable!
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Mind Your Manners is basically Spin the Black Circle..... but not as good.

i love Getaway, My Fathers Son, and Pendulum.

i like Yellow Moon. Probably because I love Neil Young and there’s a connection there...

i dont listen to the others anymore.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I’m over the song Lightning Bolt as well. Not sure why it gets so much love from the band. 
    Like Unthought Known, it's got great energy and comes off really well in concert. I try not to think too much about the lyrics of both songs, however, as there is a certain "cheese" factor involved. 

Hey, at least they're happy/grateful for the life they have been given! Not too sure if I would want to attend a PJ concert if they were all miserable!
    AGreed, lb and uk are very very similar to each other, cheesy lyrics and all. Both are stellar live. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    And just it dawned upon me, binaural riot act and self titled are all missing “that song”.  They don’t have a lighting bolt, unthought known, given to fly, present tense, betterman, etc.  there is no song from those three albums that gets the whole place rocking. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Great

1. Pendulum
    2. Getaway
    3. Mind Your Manners
    4. Yellow Moon
    5. Lightning Bolt

Good

6. My Fathers Son
    7. Swallowed Whole
    8. Infallible
    9. Let The Records Play

Not my favorites

10. Sleeping By Myself
    11. Sirens
    12. Future Days
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like Unthought Known, it's got great energy and comes off really well in concert. I try not to think too much about the lyrics of both songs, however, as there is a certain "cheese" factor involved
    I agree, mostly. But I love the lines in UK that go:

”see the path cut by the moon. For you to walk on”

probably because ive had experiences like that on camping trips. And some of those experiences have literally been “trips”. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
    edited September 2018
    Milestone said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like Unthought Known, it's got great energy and comes off really well in concert. I try not to think too much about the lyrics of both songs, however, as there is a certain "cheese" factor involved
    I agree, mostly. But I love the lines in UK that go:

”see the path cut by the moon. For you to walk on”

probably because ive had experiences like that on camping trips. And some of those experiences have literally been “trips”. 
    Oh, I sing my heart out during UK. Although, the "gems and rhinestones" lyric exudes that cheese factor I was mentioning, I'll be the first to admit that I looked up at that beautiful starry sky in Seattle when EV sang those words almost one month ago!
    Post edited by rummy on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    And just it dawned upon me, binaural riot act and self titled are all missing “that song”.  They don’t have a lighting bolt, unthought known, given to fly, present tense, betterman, etc.  there is no song from those three albums that gets the whole place rocking. 
    I'm the opposite to you I think . I can't stand LB and UK. And riot act and self titled  get me grooving  rather than an anthem. It's made realise exactly what it is 
     I dislike the cheesy anthem type of "hit". The groove is what gets me. Matt/Jeff groove masters. That s probably  why my favourite  albums are riot act, yield type
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm the opposite to you I think . I can't stand LB and UK. And riot act and self titled  get me grooving  rather than an anthem. It's made realise exactly what it is 
     I dislike the cheesy anthem type of "hit". The groove is what gets me. Matt/Jeff groove masters. That s probably  why my favourite  albums are riot act, yield type
    Give me an example of matt and jeff being groove masters.  Would push pull me be an example of a groove?
  • PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It absolutely exploded night 2 at fenway.  

I'm not a fan of the song, but you're 100% right, LB was phenomenal on Tuesday.
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It absolutely exploded night 2 at fenway.  

I'm not a fan of the song, but you're 100% right, LB was phenomenal on Tuesday.
    It's a stadium rock song. Lots of classic hooks, etc. It's virtually impossible to not get into it when you see it live.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    mcgruff10 said:
    insignificance
    danny d
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Give me an example of matt and jeff being groove masters.  Would push pull me be an example of a groove?
    Get right. Ghost.  Green disease . Severed  hand . Off of those 2 albums just of the top of my head give me a bit I will be back with more
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    danny said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    insignificance
    I always thought it would be but unfortunately it is not. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get right. Ghost.  Green disease . Severed  hand . Off of those 2 albums just of the top of my head give me a bit I will be back with more
    I absolutely love severed hand live.  Green disease is good.  The other two, meh.  But I understand what you are saying.