Unofficial pre-line for merch protocols

Boston merch says no line-up until 9 am.  For those who have pre-lined, what's the deal?  Just wondering how it will realistically play out.  Don't want to show up at 9 expecting to be at the front and then end up on Youtube for not following the unspoken rules. 

Comments

• cwjacwja Posts: 135
    According to some people, based on responses in the GA line thread, you walk right up to the front at 9am. Cause that’s what “the rules” say.

But, if you’re an average reasonable human, just ask the people which are already in line where the end is. Then go to the end of it, make some new friends, and eventually spend an unreasonable amount of money.
  • Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    of course if there is a line already in place, respect the line, no matter what time it is.  Was just wondering if people had plans organize somewhere else.  Now that I'm writing this, there is no way they will enforce that rule.  Has about as much juice as the "two poster" rule. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    cwja said:
    According to some people, based on responses in the GA line thread, you walk right up to the front at 9am. Cause that’s what “the rules” say.

But, if you’re an average reasonable human, just ask the people which are already in line where the end is. Then go to the end of it, make some new friends, and eventually spend an unreasonable amount of money.

Wouldn't an average reasonable human act like an adult and actually follow the rules??
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    This is getting taken way to far. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • cwjacwja Posts: 135
    of course if there is a line already in place, respect the line, no matter what time it is.  Was just wondering if people had plans organize somewhere else.  Now that I'm writing this, there is no way they will enforce that rule.  Has about as much juice as the "two poster" rule. 
    People will line up ahead of time, just like they did in Chicago, Missoula and Seattle. The line will be easy to find. It will be in the same vicinity as the official line because people only get there a few hours, not days, early.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,213
    My plan is to go low stress and show up mid-afternoon 
  •  cwja said:

Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • cwja said:

=) Great....so now we have to basically ignore the instructions from the 10C and somehow figure out which secret group to ask what the real rules are and hope they give us the secret handshake and accept outsiders that aren't on message boards or in Facebook groups.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,213
    edited August 2018
    Don't forget there will be 2 locations open. So I guess 2 "pre-lines" to be concerned with? Godspeed, folks. Hopefully they just let you line up and whatever.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,136
    Show up at 930.  Line has already started.  Problem solved.

• KS80184KS80184 Posts: 397
    People at Wrigley were in line before 6am for 9am opening.  If you showed up at 6, you were about 50th in line. 
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 528
    Rules clearly say no line up before 9AM.  According to the rules, no line exists for merch before 9AM.  If others want to play silly line games and invent fantasy line rules that will not be recognized by those following the actual rules, let them!  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
    Only difference was whether you are inside the roped off corral or not.  10c even pointed to the spot where the "unofficial" lineup was to start.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    tubes10s said:
    Rules clearly say no line up before 9AM.  According to the rules, no line exists for merch before 9AM.  If others want to play silly line games and invent fantasy line rules that will not be recognized by those following the actual rules, let them!  
    It’s commonly accepted to get in the line that’s already formed prior to the time that the venue might want. 
  • where are the aussies?
    in line already...
    they also leave early night one to get in line for night 2
    OMG i giggle a lot here....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,082
    tubes10s said:
    Good luck with this.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,904
    KS80184 said:
    People at Wrigley were in line before 6am for 9am opening.  If you showed up at 6, you were about 50th in line. 
    1st person arrived at 4am.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    I'm all for following the rules. It sounds like some of this "pre-line" stuff started in a bar? That just doesn't make sense. If you want to start a fake line somewhere then fine, but don't complain when others who follow the rules end up in a better spot. Who decides which is the official-unofficial line? Some dudes hanging out in a bar are and holding spots for however many more doesn't seem too obvious to me that is what is supposed to happen. If that is what really happened, but who knows.

By the way, the pre-line starts in my upstairs bathroom. Come in, drop a deuce and your on the list.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Sounds like 10C might have identified a place for a pre-line to start... That would be good enough for me. I'm big on rules too, but I think, when everything is normal and there is no GD list or confusion or conflicting directions from security (unlike with the GA line clusterfuck), then it's very reasonable to just get in an unofficial line. Ignoring one and going rogue with the justification of "but the rules said 9am" seems like a jerk move, just based on the concept of common courtesy and maintaining a sense of order.

Be a George, not a Michael.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sounds like 10C might have identified a place for a pre-line to start... That would be good enough for me. I'm big on rules too, but I think, when everything is normal and there is no GD list or confusion or conflicting directions from security (unlike with the GA line clusterfuck), then it's very reasonable to just get in an unofficial line. Ignoring one and going rogue with the justification of "but the rules said 9am" seems like a jerk move, just based on the concept of common courtesy and maintaining a sense of order.

It would take some serious cohones to show up, walk past a line of waiting people and think you're going to bypass all of them, regardless of what the rules say.  

As I mentioned before... Good luck with that.

PJ_Soul said:

It would take some serious cohones to show up, walk past a line of waiting people and think you're going to bypass all of them, regardless of what the rules say.  

If its obvious, I agree. 
    I was imagining down the street in a secret location only insiders know about. Some high secret council or something. That's sort of what all the GA talk sounds ilke.
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 343
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If its obvious, I agree. 
    I was imagining down the street in a secret location only insiders know about. Some high secret council or something. That's sort of what all the GA talk sounds ilke.
    It sounds like it begins at a local bar.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 528
    tubes10s said:
    Good luck with this.
    Good luck following the written rule/request about lines?  Ok, I guess...  but no need for luck.  If I were going, I definitely wouldn't be spending my time in a fun city standing in a line! 
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Posts: 296
    There will just be a line of ppl right outside the store. When it is time for an official line, if it's not in the right place, the ppl will just tell the line where to go. Fenway 16 had the line times, but ppl were there hours before that and just made a line outside the doors then they opened at noon. There will be no ropes or snaked lines. Just a line right outside the pro shop door going down the sidewalk.
    edited August 2018
    Shakescky said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If its obvious, I agree. 
    Was it a legit line of people, or people just hanging out drinking at a bar writing numbers by their names? That seems like a big difference, I'd have a hard time acknowledging a group of people sitting around drinking at a bar as part of any line, unless they actually formed a line.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 343
    mace1229 said:
    Shakescky said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If its obvious, I agree. 
    But a legit line of people, or people just hanging out drinking at a bar writing numbers by their names? That seems like a big difference, I'd have a hard time acknowledging a group of people sitting around drinking at a bar as part of any line, unless they actually formed a line.
    I agree with you.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If its obvious, I agree. 
    Yeah, no, those folks can eat it, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    My ‘good luck’ comment was in reference to anyone who would show up at 9 & think they were going to walk past an existing line in the designated location.
    As far as lines generated elsewhere... no, I wouldn’t recognize that nonsense. The only line I’ll recognize is one started at the booth itself. 

Do GA people really think they can start a line elsewhere & it will be recognized at the venue???

Christ, the poster obsession is bad enough, I’m glad I don’t sweat the GA. That’s ridiculous. 
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    100 Pacer said:
    KS80184 said:
    Did they think there was only going to be 1 poster for sale?  Sounds like they showed up about 3 hours early and wasted a lot of time.
    PJ-Cubs said:
    100 Pacer said:
    KS80184 said:
    Did they think there was only going to be 1 poster for sale?  Sounds like they showed up about 3 hours early and wasted a lot of time.
    They didn't want to miss out on their future ebay profits.