> petty

> bruce

even tho I love both those guys.
    The John Mellencamp Band???? 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,000
    edited August 2018
    hugepjfan said:
    I'd like to entertain arguments for other American bands that surpass PJ. I don't think anything comes close but I'm biased. What are the best American bands of all time? As far as pj is concerned: Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check. 
    Creating some arbitrary criterias just to be able to check off Pearl Jam I see.

Where are the piano ballads? Not check.
    Experimentation? Not really a check
    Creating a foundation for children with handicaps? Not a check
    Great beards? Not a check
    Cool female vocals? Not a check
    Playing Sweden every European tour? Not a check

To me it seems they lose out.

(I think they are the best american band, or at least should be taken into consideration)

And don't forget...

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    edited August 2018
    How about phish?  TheRe a band with a massive following of extremely loyal fans.

21 pilots seriously lol
    Post edited by jefft on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    People...

The thread is 'best band'. This requires a bit of objectivity. The Black Crowes and some of these other bands being mentioned are not solid contenders at all.

When you're talking 'best' bands... you're talking 'best' bands (not 'personal favourite' bands).

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP
    The Eagles... all spring to mind. Extensive catalogues. Talent.

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix
    CCR... bands like these in the next tier.

Nirvana never had a chance to see what they could become. They may have fizzled. Who knows?
    What criteria puts PJ in teir 1 above any of those teir 2 bands? 

What criteria immediately dismisses a band like the Crowes?

Nirvana should be in in the discussion on influence alone.

I brought up longevity. I just don’t think it’s that as important as body of work during active years and it’s effect on later generations. How many of these people dissing Aerosmith would include them if not for the 2nd career material? 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,153
    DewieCox said:

Was Nirvana influential?  They were really good and insanely popular, but I don't recall there being many bands that were influenced by them.   I always hear people say Nirvana was influential, but all those post grunge bands sounded like they got their sound more from Pearl Jam than Nirvana.
  • Options
    hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    hugepjfan said:
    I'd like to entertain arguments for other American bands that surpass PJ. I don't think anything comes close but I'm biased. What are the best American bands of all time? As far as pj is concerned: Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check. 
    Creating some arbitrary criterias just to be able to check off Pearl Jam I see.

Where are the piano ballads? Not check.
    Experimentation? Not really a check
    Creating a foundation for children with handicaps? Not a check
    Great beards? Not a check
    Cool female vocals? Not a check
    Playing Sweden every European tour? Not a check

To me it seems they lose out.

(I think they are the best american band, or at least should be taken into consideration)

And don't forget...

Lmao. Point well taken. Although LBC and Crazy Mary are almost piano ballads.. BOOOOOOOM! 
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • Options
    i shocked that there’s not been more mention of Dave...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    Skimming through the thread it feels like we are a page away from someone trying to argue Greta Van Fleet.

Personally, I think no band that formed after 90's really belongs in this conversation yet. They just haven't been doing it long enough. Maybe someday, but not today.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Zod said:
    DewieCox said:

Was Nirvana influential?  They were really good and insanely popular, but I don't recall there being many bands that were influenced by them.   I always hear people say Nirvana was influential, but all those post grunge bands sounded like they got their sound more from Pearl Jam than Nirvana.

You’re kidding right? There are tons of direct rip offs, singers that do the Kurt thing, and Nirvanas success opened up a ton of doors for alternative music and the effect is still felt today. 

Outside of a few attempted EV knockoffs I can’t think of a single band that sounds like they’re influenced by PJ. Green River and MLB are more influential imo.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,494
    DewieCox said:
    Zod said:
    DewieCox said:

You’re kidding right? There are tons of direct rip offs, singers that do the Kurt thing, and Nirvanas success opened up a ton of doors for alternative music and the effect is still felt today. 

Outside of a few attempted EV knockoffs I can’t think of a single band that sounds like they’re influenced by PJ. Green River and MLB are more influential imo.
    Creed wasn't influenced by PJ???
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    People...

The thread is 'best band'. This requires a bit of objectivity. The Black Crowes and some of these other bands being mentioned are not solid contenders at all.

When you're talking 'best' bands... you're talking 'best' bands (not 'personal favourite' bands).

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix

Nirvana never had a chance to see what they could become. They may have fizzled. Who knows?

I brought up longevity. I just don’t think it’s that as important as body of work during active years and it’s effect on later generations. How many of these people dissing Aerosmith would include them if not for the 2nd career material? 
    The basic formula I have generated to comprise my list is as follows:

Popularity X Album Sales X Length of Service = Greatness

* We have limited the field to the 'rock band' genre so guys like Michael Jackson don't factor in this discussion.

* A band can qualify for greatness without a long career if (say) their album sales are significant.

* Popularity is defined as concert attendance, merchandise sales, etc.

Lastly... I haven't given this a ton of thought. I'm just kibda going off the top of my head. The 'greatest bands' I suggested are not my group of personal favourites (although I do like them all to varying degrees).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Zod said:
    DewieCox said:

Creed wasn't influenced by PJ???
    I’m sure there was some sort of influence there considering how big PJ was, but I don’t really hear it in their music that I’ve heard.
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    jefft said:
    How about phish?  TheRe a band with a massive following of extremely loyal fans.

Well....Jimmy Buffett would meet that criteria as well.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    does Widespread count for anything?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited August 2018
    Should the a minimum criteria be "in the RnR Hall of Fame" vs not? That might help weed out some of these nominations - although the Hall members made asses of themselves by not putting Radiohead (English band so no need to go on about them) in last year. 
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited August 2018
    hugepjfan said:
    I love someone mentioned that longevity may not be part of the criteria  I'm the OP and I think I may agree. If you can write a true masterpiece that's legendary in and of itself. Like, say, Ten and Nevermind. Maybe sometimes it only takes one, just saying. Oh, I tried my best to catch up on the candidates and read the thread but I do not believe I saw DMB. Terrible oversight by all of us unless I just missed it  One more thing thing, PJ was pop in the 90s so don't discount today's pop newcomers. You might just be old to discount 21 pilots, imagine dragons and muse, just to name a few. 
    Pearl Jam was not pop music in the 90s. They have always been alternative rock. I know the term pop music originates from "popular music", but that's not literal. Pop music is a genre, not a state of being.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    DewieCox said:
    People...

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix

* We have limited the field to the 'rock band' genre so guys like Michael Jackson don't factor in this discussion.

* A band can qualify for greatness without a long career if (say) their album sales are significant.

Lastly... I haven't given this a ton of thought. I'm just kibda going off the top of my head. The 'greatest bands' I suggested are not my group of personal favourites (although I do like them all to varying degrees).
    i think one or two things missing is having Iconic Albums and/or songs.  Yea Foo Fighters are great and popular but they don't really have an iconic album or song.  Ten and VS. are iconic.  Jeremy, Alive, Even Flow, Black and Better Man are iconic.  I think that separates good to great bands from historic bands.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    DewieCox said:
    People...

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix

i think one or two things missing is having Iconic Albums and/or songs.  Yea Foo Fighters are great and popular but they don't really have an iconic album or song.  Ten and VS. are iconic.  Jeremy, Alive, Even Flow, Black and Better Man are iconic.  I think that separates good to great bands from historic bands.
    Just to start, PJ >>> FF. 
    Isn't "Everlong" a pretty big deal?
  • Options
    RobZ said:
    jefft said:

Well....Jimmy Buffett would meet that criteria as well.
    I love jimmy buffett lol
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    If popularity and longevity are big factors then I’d have to give the nod to Foo Fighters over PJ. At their respective peaks, I don’t think FF are quite as big a deal, but I think they’ve stayed bigger for longer. PJ has bounced back in the decade or so since the legacy push started, but FF haven’t really needed that.

Everlong is certainly equal to any PJ song in the grand scheme. Easily in the discussion for rock song of the 90s and they have quite a few more songs more widely considered classic.

Also, although huge at the time I don’t think Vs is considered all that iconic. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,494
    I saw Foos for the first time at Fenway last month.  Had fun.  But they are not even in the same stratosphere as Pearl Jam for live concert experience, IMHO.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    I saw Foo Fighters at the first Global Citizen festival in 2012. Have not felt any desire to go out of my way to see them again. Felt like they were mailing it in. Plus, Dave talked about himself all night. Great front men don't do that. They talk about themselves, sure, but they also make it a point to talk about the band and the other individual members. Not Dave Grohl. At least not that night.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Should the a minimum criteria be "in the RnR Hall of Fame" vs not? That might help weed out some of these nominations - although the Hall members made asses of themselves by not putting Radiohead (English band so no need to go on about them) in last year. 
    No. No one really cares about the RnR HoF.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    RobZ said:
    Van Halen.....?????
    Thank You!!  CVH only of course..Hagar killed them
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The Smithereens
    Allman Brothers
    Grateful Dead
    The Cars
    Talking Heads
    Green Day
    Soundgarden
    Aer-old-smith

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    and all the iterations of Van Halen
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Not trying to prove anything (really) but thought the US Album Sales data might be interesting when comparing PJ to FF. I've bolded the data for the times both bands were in existence. 

Pearl Jam 
    Ten (1991) - 13,300,000
    Vs. (1993) - 7,400,000
    Vitalogy (1994) - 5,900,000
    No Code (1996) - 1,750,000
    Yield (1998) - 1,900,000
    Binaural (2000) - 850,000
    Riot Act (2003) - 575,000
    Self-Titled/Avocado/Nothing (2006) - 750,000
    Backspacer (2009) - 640,000
    Lightning Bolt (2013) - 400,000

Foo Fighters' Album Sales:
    Self Titled (1995) - 1,468,000 
    TCATS (1997) - 2,342,000
    TNLTL (1999) - 1,300,000
    One By One (2002) - 1,400,000
    In Your Honor (2005) - 1,500,000
    ESPG (2007) -  916,000
    Wasting Light (2011) - 663,000
    Sonic Highways (2013) - 490,000
    Concrete and Gold (2017) - 212,750

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    rummy said:
    I care! Had a great time in Brooklyn seeing the band getting inducted. =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    rummy said:
    You may be right but a lot of people around here did (myself included) in April 2017! 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    If popularity and longevity are big factors then I’d have to give the nod to Foo Fighters over PJ. At their respective peaks, I don’t think FF are quite as big a deal, but I think they’ve stayed bigger for longer. PJ has bounced back in the decade or so since the legacy push started, but FF haven’t really needed that.

Everlong is certainly equal to any PJ song in the grand scheme. Easily in the discussion for rock song of the 90s and they have quite a few more songs more widely considered classic.

Also, although huge at the time I don’t think Vs is considered all that iconic. 
    X2