Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    CP218430 said:
    Springtsteen/E Street, Petty/Heartbreakers (which I could as bands), The Dead and Pearl Jam. Bob Dylan is the greatest American Artist, not a challenger in my book but that's just my opinion. 

Looks like there's pretty solid consensus around Springsteen, Petty, and the Dead. I can't argue with that (even though I'm still not a Bruce fan).

I'm not getting the CCR/ Aerosmith mentions. Look at it as the flip side of "GTFO with that 21 PIlots/ Imagine Dragons nonsense." Does anyone under 30 know who CCR is? I bet they know who Springsteen is, and they know who Petty is; they might know who Steven Tyler is, but not for the right reasons. I really only know about CCR because my parents had one of their albums, Creedence Gold, and I as a small child was fascinated by the album cover. I'm nearly fifty. I'm absolutely certain that neither of my adult children knows who CCR is -- and one of my kids is a musician.

Kind of surprising that nobody has mentioned KISS -- ;)
    Overall, what does anyone under 30 (generalization) know about Best American Rock Band Ever?
    Aerosmith and CCR crush most of the bands getting 2-3 citations.  Crush 
    Look at record sales.  Look at number of hits.  Look at how long their music has been played.
    I'm sorry but I totally agree that Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots have no space in the top 30.  (Probably in the top 130, though.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    I'm not totally sure I've ever even heard of 21 Pilots, and I'm not an old fogie who doesn't listen to new music.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I don't think any surpass, but a few that are up there:

Bruce and E Street
    The Dead
    The Band
    Allman Bros.
    Wilco
    Foo Fighters

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The Band is from Canada... although I love em (they formed there at least(
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I went and listened to a couple of songs by 21 Pilots (their top one has nearly 1 BILLION plays on Spotify, and they have 14+ Million listeners/month. That's a lot!). Meh. They might be okay - it's just not my style of music.... But that's not even a rock band as far as I can tell. They fall pretty solidly into the pop category IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    3 pages and not one person mentions Boston in the discussion? 

you’re funny.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    hugepjfan said:
    I'd like to entertain arguments for other American bands that surpass PJ. I don't think anything comes close but I'm biased. What are the best American bands of all time? As far as pj is concerned: Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check. 
    Crowes

front man: check
    sales: check
    solos: check; rich and (take your pick) marc or luther or jackie
    lyrics: kinda check
    live performances: double check
    longevity: check (til chris fucked it up)
    activism: not so much

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I'm one who does not neccessanec think PJ is the best, but they are better than black crowes by a wide margin
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Why is Imagine Dragons even mentioned in a list with The Doors, Pearl Jam, REM, Nirvana, Aerosmith, etc?

IMO....ID are fucking terrible.  

Thunder, thu thu thunder, lightning and the thunder. Thunder, thu thu thunder,  lightning and the thunder.

Then there is the car commercial song....believer.  "a wubba-day wubba-day, hibbida dibbida, hummina hummina, boppity bippity."

End rant.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    edited August 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:  "a wubba-day wubba-day, hibbida dibbida, hummina hummina, boppity bippity."

Is that an Imagine Dragons song or a lyric from Evenflow?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Vedd Hedd said:  "a wubba-day wubba-day, hibbida dibbida, hummina hummina, boppity bippity."

Is that an Imagine Dragons song or a lyric from Evenflow?

If it was even flow i would have said "eeoh zama dama rama dingy do"
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Why is Imagine Dragons even mentioned in a list with The Doors, Pearl Jam, REM, Nirvana, Aerosmith, etc?
    Gotta agree. The bands you've listed (along with Hendrix, Springsteen, and Petty) are the upper echelon here.
    edited August 2018
    I don't think The Velvet Underground has been listed yet - nor have The Smashing Pumpkins (watching a live stream of them in Seattle as I type/edit this post).
    Post edited by rummy on
    I'm one who does not neccessanec think PJ is the best, but they are better than black crowes by a wide margin

:nuh_uh:

not that wide, at all.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

:nuh_uh:

not that wide, at all.
    I think they might be based on the criteria we've been considering.
  • People...

The thread is 'best band'. This requires a bit of objectivity. The Black Crowes and some of these other bands being mentioned are not solid contenders at all.

When you're talking 'best' bands... you're talking 'best' bands (not 'personal favourite' bands).

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP
    The Eagles... all spring to mind. Extensive catalogues. Talent.

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix
    CCR... bands like these in the next tier.

Nirvana never had a chance to see what they could become. They may have fizzled. Who knows?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • First, this is my favorite thread in a long while. Thanks to the OP.

since people threw a couple more recent bands out there, i’d like to give My Morning Jacket a nod. Certainly not the best of all time, but they are a great band, have several great albums, and put on a hell of a live show.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    Objectively speaking, hard not going with Springsteen, but my heart wants to say R.E.M. claims the top spot. As much as any band, they created the blueprint that so many bands have tried to follow. I also think they are one of those bands (like the Beatles) that influenced nearly everything that came after. I think PJ should be pretty high on the list, but I'm not sure I could put them at the top.
    People...

The thread is 'best band'. This requires a bit of objectivity. The Black Crowes and some of these other bands being mentioned are not solid contenders at all.

When you're talking 'best' bands... you're talking 'best' bands (not 'personal favourite' bands).

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix

Nirvana never had a chance to see what they could become. They may have fizzled. Who knows?
    I like where you've steered this but REM should be mentioned in your list - at least in tier 2, if not tier 1.
  • hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    I love someone mentioned that longevity may not be part of the criteria  I'm the OP and I think I may agree. If you can write a true masterpiece that's legendary in and of itself. Like, say, Ten and Nevermind. Maybe sometimes it only takes one, just saying. Oh, I tried my best to catch up on the candidates and read the thread but I do not believe I saw DMB. Terrible oversight by all of us unless I just missed it  One more thing thing, PJ was pop in the 90s so don't discount today's pop newcomers. You might just be old to discount 21 pilots, imagine dragons and muse, just to name a few. 
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • SM192077SM192077 Niagara Posts: 3
    Three Dog Night
  • BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    PJ_Soul said:
    If Shannon Hoon hadn't died after only two incredible albums, I'd probably be saying Blind Melon.
    Agreed
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
    I have to say, my taste is def not the majority  according to the thread. I can't go Bruce, I love Petty but I think PJ is just so much better, Aerosmith I hate. The dead I like but don't crave. Interesting diversity here, really liking it  Def going to try out some of the bands mentioned I've never listened to and maybe give bands like REM another chance. 
    HugePJFan
  • rummy said:
    People...

That being said:

Pearl Jam
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doors
    Metallica
    RHCP

Van Halen
    GnR
    Aerosmith
    Jimi Hendrix

I like where you've steered this but REM should be mentioned in your list - at least in tier 2, if not tier 1.
    Agreed. I hate them, but they deserve some sort of nod.

I didn't list others that deserve credit as well. In particular, DMB and Tom Petty for the second tier grouping.
  • Let me rephrase.

Hate is a strong term. I don't care for them. They are not unlistenable though.
    Let me rephrase.

Hate is a strong term. I don't care for them. They are not unlistenable though.
    LOL. Agreed. Hate doesn't really mean hate amongst the Jamily. 
    HugePJFan
  • The Foo Fighters are kind of massive. Dave Grohl might just be the world's biggest rock star right now.
    BK221359 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If Shannon Hoon hadn't died after only two incredible albums, I'd probably be saying Blind Melon.
    Agreed

please.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    john. fucking. mellencamp.

> petty

> bruce

even tho I love both those guys.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited August 2018
    hugepjfan said:
    I love someone mentioned that longevity may not be part of the criteria  I'm the OP and I think I may agree. If you can write a true masterpiece that's legendary in and of itself. Like, say, Ten and Nevermind. Maybe sometimes it only takes one, just saying. Oh, I tried my best to catch up on the candidates and read the thread but I do not believe I saw DMB. Terrible oversight by all of us unless I just missed it  One more thing thing, PJ was pop in the 90s so don't discount today's pop newcomers. You might just be old to discount 21 pilots, imagine dragons and muse, just to name a few. 
    I think the key word in your thread title is ‘Ever’. This implies some kind of longevity, and would rule out bands like 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons etc because they’re relative newcomers. And Muse are English so don’t count (plus... they suck! ha ha!)

My vote would go to REM - I think they cover most of the criteria from the original post (maybe not mind melting solos!) - but I appreciate why Bruce, Tom or even The Eagles would be up there too.

Great thread!
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)