Options

My story dealing with several horrible entitled “railbirds” in GA at Wrigley 2

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    ascahn said:
    ascahn said:
    PJNB said:
    Again, the 8:00 am line up rule is set by an outisde authority, why should that take precedent over the group established rule of whoever gets there first is first in line? 
    I guess for me, personally all in all I don't see venue rules and policy as "outside authority", I see it as THE authority, so to speak.  And if their line and whoever gets there first is the only line they consider official, the people who get to that line first, in this case ascahn, their place in line is (IMO) as legitimate as anything else
    I have no clue why I am still talking about this but they were not the first in that line. The first in that line was moved by THE authority to another designated spot. 24 hours later his group claims that spot that was not allowed by group #1 but no security is there to move them. Are they lucky to get it and no authority is moving them or are they dicks for knowing others were in that spot but got moved. This is a question that will haunt us for years to come. 
    Easy answer. They’re dicks for knowing that others were there before they were and then didn’t move in behind the first group. Sounds like the first group didn’t respond well though.    
    Not sure why we are dicks. Nobody said security moved them anywhere.  They were in Murphy’s. We spent time in Murphy’s also so does that make us all equal?  I arrived into town on Friday so is that when I lined up?  Bottom line for me is no lists or unauthorized lines per 10 Club. We went to the spot that we were told by security that we could stand. Off of Cubs controlled property and exactly where the pre 8:00 am line was started on Saturday with the other group in that line. 
    It depends on if you knew other people were there previously and had started a line. 

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    ascahn said:
    ascahn said:
    PJNB said:
    Again, the 8:00 am line up rule is set by an outisde authority, why should that take precedent over the group established rule of whoever gets there first is first in line? 
    I guess for me, personally all in all I don't see venue rules and policy as "outside authority", I see it as THE authority, so to speak.  And if their line and whoever gets there first is the only line they consider official, the people who get to that line first, in this case ascahn, their place in line is (IMO) as legitimate as anything else
    I have no clue why I am still talking about this but they were not the first in that line. The first in that line was moved by THE authority to another designated spot. 24 hours later his group claims that spot that was not allowed by group #1 but no security is there to move them. Are they lucky to get it and no authority is moving them or are they dicks for knowing others were in that spot but got moved. This is a question that will haunt us for years to come. 
    Easy answer. They’re dicks for knowing that others were there before they were and then didn’t move in behind the first group. Sounds like the first group didn’t respond well though.    
    Not sure why we are dicks. Nobody said security moved them anywhere.  They were in Murphy’s. We spent time in Murphy’s also so does that make us all equal?  I arrived into town on Friday so is that when I lined up?  Bottom line for me is no lists or unauthorized lines per 10 Club. We went to the spot that we were told by security that we could stand. Off of Cubs controlled property and exactly where the pre 8:00 am line was started on Saturday with the other group in that line. 
       Be a man and admit u knew people was there before u arrive and u  took advantage that they couldn't be in official line before  8am and when that time arrived u went up front and don't give a shit those waiting before u. Have the dignity to admit u didn't give a shit about others and u play with  the words and the rules and u didn't break any.. There are videos of u walking in front of them when all of them wait to get into the official line up.. 
    And tell the truth that u didn't want to follow " the list cos a foreigner was first in That line.. 
    We are not fools, grow a pair and admit u did t give a fuck about those was behind u there and u took advantage the 8 am line up.. Cos if was like 2016 or 2013 when the Cubs let people camp there u would be, behind 70 people and u couldn't be upfront. That simple. U are lucky Australians was there.. Cos if was Italians u would be in a fist fight 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Yeah, I think its time GA in the USA has run its course
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Really? I think it works really well 99%+ of the time. This go around it looks like people were taking liberties with the 8:00 thing as some ‘official’ rule.  
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 273
    ascahn said:
    Not sure why we are dicks. Nobody said security moved them anywhere.  They were in Murphy’s. We spent time in Murphy’s also so does that make us all equal?  I arrived into town on Friday so is that when I lined up? Bottom line for me is no lists or unauthorized lines per 10 Club. We went to the spot that we were told by security that we could stand. Off of Cubs controlled property and exactly where the pre 8:00 am line was started on Saturday with the other group in that line. 

I mean, pretty spot on here. If it comes out that the "unwelcome" comments aren't true, then I don't know that there's anything else to be said.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    ascahn said:
    ascahn said:
    PJNB said:
    It depends on if you knew other people were there previously and had started a line. 

I think it depends on whether or not they had a list in that first line.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    For the Springsteen (or Radiohead) method, how do you enter with your +1? Or +40 group?
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,637
    RK50065 said:
    For the Springsteen (or Radiohead) method, how do you enter with your +1? Or +40 group?

They need to be with you when you pick up wristbands - no holding places which is another benefit IMO.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 693
    Just read original post. What asshats...you can't control mother nature. If you don't arrive at the rail before me after the postponement, not my problem.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    I imagine that the view two rows behind these "railbirds" is pretty damn good too. And you don't have to get in line two days in advance to get that view. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I feel like someone shouldn't be attacked etc if they followed the rules Tim and the 10C put in place. If it says 8am then it's 8am. A lot of fans paid for GA and followed Tim's rule. So why are the "elite" PJ fans who have their secret groups and numbering system better than the people who followed their rules? 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    I feel like someone shouldn't be attacked etc if they followed the rules Tim and the 10C put in place. If it says 8am then it's 8am. A lot of fans paid for GA and followed Tim's rule. So why are the "elite" PJ fans who have their secret groups and numbering system better than the people who followed their rules? 
    Pretty hard to argue with this simple logic
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    This thread completely changes my perspective on how I should have handled things Monday night. When they announced re-entry to the pit, my buddy and I were the first ones to go. We took about three steps in a calm, slow manner, but quickly realized if we kept that pace we’d be trampled. So...we ran. And by doing so, I was one of the first ones back and could have grabbed center rail. Instead, I stayed back a few rows out of courtesy for the folks that had been camping out all day(s). Within seconds, shit got real ugly. There were groups of men and women pushing, swearing and throwing tantrums like my 5 year old would. However, I was allowing these people claiming to have been robbed of their spot to move past me to re-claim the rail, and I encouraged the people next to me to give the same courtesy. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn’t have budged. Fuck that. So much for being a nice guy. This rail entitlement bullshit is nonsense. 
  • Options
    I imagine that the view two rows behind these "railbirds" is pretty damn good too. And you don't have to get in line two days in advance to get that view. 
    I personally think the view is actually better 3 - 8 rows back. The rail gives you too sharp an angle to the stage.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    PJ_Soul said:
    I personally think the view is actually better 3 - 8 rows back. The rail gives you too sharp an angle to the stage.

Plus you can't really move around that well as just stuck to the rail.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,953
    Suziemay said:
    agreed....both groups think they are right.  When there are not clear rules and/or the venue isn't aware of any rules that can be enforced it will be a clusterfuck every time.

We are all there for the same thing, it's a shame that we can't all be nice to each other and peacefully resolve. In the past, I've been in situations were multiple lines formed, and we resolved peacefully.

1) Wrigley 2013: Security gave different instructions to different people when we showed up, so there were at least two GA lines that formed. We realized this quickly, and were able to merge peacefully. I can't remember what we did, I just remember being in one line, realizing that, oh crap, there's another line around the corner, running there, chatting with some folks and then we were all happy again. I mean, until the rain delay :lol:

2) Oakland 2013: People who arrived by car formed a line outside the gate. People who arrived on foot formed a line inside the arena. I think we did something like alternating people in each line, and merged both lines. I think there was a small handful of grumbly people, but the majority of us just wanted to resolve peacefully and we did. This ended up being one of the best shows ever for me.

Yeah...too bad that doesn't work all the time.  Someone is going to get hurt.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Plus you can't really move around that well as just stuck to the rail.
    For sure. When you see video of the pit really rocking out, it's usually the case that, unless one of the band members is down there and they're spazzing about it, the people right on the rail are kind of a motionless human barrier between the stage and everyone else. Just a lot of dangling arms and elbows for the most part, lol. They just don't have room to do anything other than stand there and clap. I do, however, understand that it's nice to have something to lean on for 3 or 4 hours until the band comes out. It really takes some weight off of sore feet.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    PJ_Soul said:

the people right on the rail are kind of a motionless human barrier between the stage and everyone else. 
    Hey you try standing around for 48 hours prior to the concert and see how into the show you'd be! 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    Bingo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

the people right on the rail are kind of a motionless human barrier between the stage and everyone else. 
    Hey you try standing around for 48 hours prior to the concert and see how into the show you'd be! 
    No thanks, I'm not insane. :lol:;)
    (kidding, kidding - hey, nobody said obsessions are necessarily bad things, lol... only when they start hurting others, like when they lead to slander on facebook and verbal or physical aggression towards others and stuff like that)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778

A unofficial, make a list line that 10C has specifically said is not allowed?   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Guys I posted this after the Seattle show. I know this is a different deal then what happened at Wrigley 2, but there has been a lot of hating on people that choose to camp out and be up front on a continual basis in this thread. So please read this for a different perspective.

To those who mock "us people" who sleep out for the front spots etc.. I just wanted to share some of the perspective of why we do what we do. 

My wife flew out Sunday and camped out three nights for the first show. I followed the next morning and camped out for two. We entered separately as was appropriate for our separate arrival. We met up inside and enjoyed the show together. We both went right from the night one show and got in line for the Friday show. We have been to Seattle before and done most of the tourist stuff. We were there for Pearl Jam concerts. We have camped out many times before so we are pretty good at keeping ourselves comfortable while on line. We have a suitcase that contains a tent, mattress, air pump, and two sleeping bags. 

The people we meet from all over the world, and the old friends we get to spend time with are part of the amazing experiences we have. We were on the rail both nights. Night one we were on the rail one spot to the left of dead center, and night two we were on the rail one spot to the right of dead center. Our desire to be up there is not to beg for tambourines or guitar picks or to make signs. It is to have a clear view of watching our favorite band in the world perform like they are in our living room. Not a single obstruction, to be able to focus on the music with the most dedicated, and generous fans on this planet. I could look over the rail and turn my head and see 20 people in either direction that I know their names and their stories of where they come from. We have talked intimately until late at night and forged bonds we will have for a lifetime. We have shared a common love and dedication for this band that is not more or less than anyone else out of the other 47,000 people, but it is different. We all shared an experience together. The sense of community and camaraderie is something that is beyond special. 

The slightly sore and somewhat fatigued state that the camping out will bring is instantly relieved by the first note of magic. I had more energy, enthusiasm and passion then I ever feel when I am in a "seat". Somehow there is a feeling of satisfaction you get after a long hard days work. nothing feels better then getting home after you have been working hard all day and then you are rewarded with whatever it is that brings you the most comfort and joy.  

I have done this before and will do it again without hesitation when the opportunity permits. I understand It is not for everyone, but for these particular fans it is the most fulfilling way to enjoy the entire experience. 

To all all my old friends and the new friends we made, I thank you all for enriching our time together and we will see you again soon.

Steve D
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    MayDay10 said:
    Really? I think it works really well 99%+ of the time. This go around it looks like people were taking liberties with the 8:00 thing as some ‘official’ rule.  
    It is not fine 99% of the time.
    It is not an enjoyable experience in the line or in the pit
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    GA is fine, some people do not know how to act, let's not let them ruin the fun the rest of us have in the back of GA.

I'd rather be in the back of GA over anywhere else.

NYPJ
  • Options

No. Numbers and lists are bullshit. I mean the people who got there two days before and have been camping out. 
  • Options
    steved said:
    Guys I posted this after the Seattle show. I know this is a different deal then what happened at Wrigley 2, but there has been a lot of hating on people that choose to camp out and be up front on a continual basis in this thread. So please read this for a different perspective.

To those who mock "us people" who sleep out for the front spots etc.. I just wanted to share some of the perspective of why we do what we do. 

My wife flew out Sunday and camped out three nights for the first show. I followed the next morning and camped out for two. We entered separately as was appropriate for our separate arrival. We met up inside and enjoyed the show together. We both went right from the night one show and got in line for the Friday show. We have been to Seattle before and done most of the tourist stuff. We were there for Pearl Jam concerts. We have camped out many times before so we are pretty good at keeping ourselves comfortable while on line. We have a suitcase that contains a tent, mattress, air pump, and two sleeping bags. 

The people we meet from all over the world, and the old friends we get to spend time with are part of the amazing experiences we have. We were on the rail both nights. Night one we were on the rail one spot to the left of dead center, and night two we were on the rail one spot to the right of dead center. Our desire to be up there is not to beg for tambourines or guitar picks or to make signs. It is to have a clear view of watching our favorite band in the world perform like they are in our living room. Not a single obstruction, to be able to focus on the music with the most dedicated, and generous fans on this planet. I could look over the rail and turn my head and see 20 people in either direction that I know their names and their stories of where they come from. We have talked intimately until late at night and forged bonds we will have for a lifetime. We have shared a common love and dedication for this band that is not more or less than anyone else out of the other 47,000 people, but it is different. We all shared an experience together. The sense of community and camaraderie is something that is beyond special. 

The slightly sore and somewhat fatigued state that the camping out will bring is instantly relieved by the first note of magic. I had more energy, enthusiasm and passion then I ever feel when I am in a "seat". Somehow there is a feeling of satisfaction you get after a long hard days work. nothing feels better then getting home after you have been working hard all day and then you are rewarded with whatever it is that brings you the most comfort and joy.  

I have done this before and will do it again without hesitation when the opportunity permits. I understand It is not for everyone, but for these particular fans it is the most fulfilling way to enjoy the entire experience. 

To all all my old friends and the new friends we made, I thank you all for enriching our time together and we will see you again soon.

Steve D
    Just don't have your name on any list, and don't harass other people or generally act like an entitled douche in the line or on the rail, like many on the rail are known to do (hopefully you're not one of them), and I have no judgement whatsoever about people who wait a long time to get the rail. I don't really get the desire to wait in a line that long, but I still don't judge those who want to do that if they're following the rules and being cool. I know people tease about it, but I feel like it's lighthearted when it comes simply to people choosing to wait. The problem is the bad behaviour that reflects badly on so many on the rail, not the waiting itself. And I never see anyone from the rail acknowledge any of that terrible behaviour. Literally never. If anyone has, please show me the way, because it sure would be refreshing. I get the impression that the rail crew will just defend any of the other rail crew no matter what, because as a group they help each other get to the rail.
    FWIW, I'm sure everyone knows that not every single person who happens to be on the the rail is a jerk. I think people recognize that there are problem people, and then there are just innocents that decided to line up with them, lol.
    I do wish every single person who waits in these lines to get the rail would actually stay true to 10C's rule about the list though, and would shut down anyone who tries it. I have yet to see any evidence that those on the rail do that, but I'll be happy to see any.
  • Options
    jdopj said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I was in two pits this year and it was awesome. Many people commenting about the shows are also saying they had a great time. The people I knew and talked with while they waited in line didn’t say they had any issues. 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    steved said:

Steve D
    Thanks for that. Great summary of my first few experiences in the GA line this past weekend. Everyone I met, including the Aussies, were laid back and fun to talk to. Unobstructed views that close, less of a chance a phone is in my way, and most likely more sober fans around me (no piss break = less pregame drinking) have been all great benefits for putting in the time. The shows were amazing, and while it’s nice to have some merch i’ll remember Wrigley 1&2 for the memories of hanging out with good people. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    jdopj said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I disagree.   Everyone that was in a 15'-20' radius of me had a great time, everyone was cool, everyone (except two girls that pushed their way through yelling at everyone to get back to their original spots) was fine with where they landed getting back into GA after the delay & everyone was roughly where they were before the evacuation and the ones that were a few rows farther back said they didn't give a shit.   I think it is a very small percentage of people that don't like GA.   Unfortunately the people that bitch about everything are the loudest people.  The simple solution for those people is....don't buy GA tickets then.  This whole situation has gotten ridiculous......just like everything else that people think they are entitled to decide like what the set list should be like, how long they should play, how many covers should be included in each show, etc, etc, etc.   It's mind numbing.  There has been so many little clicks in this fan base for so long......groups of people that think they dictate how everything operates, making their own rules on GA lines or working together to get tickets, merchandise or anything ahead of other people that it is nice to see them being called out with all of this nonsense.              
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997

No. Numbers and lists are bullshit. I mean the people who got there two days before and have been camping out. 
    I think the question was why should the pre-line be enforced when it was too clearly against the rules? How can anyone hanging out at a bar claim they are first in line when it was clearly stated there will be no line until 8?
    I know it would be impossible to enforce, that people will still hang out close by until they are allowed to line up. 

But I think it would be cool if they stuck to the rule. Imagine getting rail and actually enjoying your stay in the city you're visiting?
    I haven't mocked the rail, I haven't been close enough to experience the negative sterotypes some are complaining about, and I think the rail would be friggin' awesome. I just wouldn't want to give up 2 days in a city I rarely go to for it.
This discussion has been closed.