Options

Congrats to the Eagles!

rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
The Eagles "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1974" passed Michael Jackson's "Thriller" as highest selling album ever!
Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited August 2018
    I try to not congratulate people making naked 15 years olds  OD in their mansions.

But that song Victim of Love is the shit.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    rgambs said:
    The Eagles "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1974" passed Michael Jackson's "Thriller" as highest selling album ever!
    People like that Hotel song that much?  Wow!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I guess the baby boomers really still have the buying power, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Isn't Hotel California (the album) number three behind Thriller also.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I think this is a really good thing....if only because it knocks Michael Jackson from the top spot.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I think this is a really good thing....if only because it knocks Michael Jackson from the top spot.

Michael should always be the king and on top...  I'm going to start a MMGA, Make Michael Great Again campaign.
  • Options
    This is just the US though.

Thriller rules sales worldwide

I think...
  • Options

Michael should always be the king and on top...  I'm going to start a MMGA, Make Michael Great Again campaign.
    Good idea, lol.
    MJ is sooooooooooo much better than the Eagles, and I think Thriller deserves to be on top forever. That album is the definition of music perfection IMHO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Hahaha that's absolutely ridiculous?  How can someone think Thriller is music perfection AND like Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    It could easily be asked, "people like that Halloween song that much?"

:wink:
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    rgambs said:
    I don't think HC is on that album
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

Mmm.  Well, let's just say that we have very different opinions on Michael Jackson.  (And, separately, on his music.)
    Good luck with your campaign, and I know that I am clearly in the minority with my opinions about him.

• Options
    JK_Livin said:
    rgambs said:
    Just had to check, it is not on there!

I'm not an Eagles fan so I'd have no clue.rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I have no idea what this means...
  • Options
    JK_Livin said: ki
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thriller, duh lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thriller, duh lol
    I've never heard it as a halloween song.  New to me.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thriller, duh lol
    Theres only one Halloween song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGiYxCUAhks
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    I looked it up, Thriller is still number 1 worldwide, so MJ fans can relax lol

I was raised on Eagles so I'm biased (Victim of Love IS a slick-ass song, yo!), but putting that aside, I was always a little irked that the man with the best selling album wrote less than half of the songs on it, though his songs were the biggest hits of the album.

There's room in my world for both albums to coexist as masterworks, but I will always prefer music made by bonded bandmates playing instruments and singing and writing earnest songs.  The whole "studio creation" aspect of pop albums like Thriller doesn't produce less valuable art, but it's not my cup of tea.  
    It's like George Martin and the Beatles, I sure wouldn't wish for a world where that collaboration never happened, but in the end I prefer the Beatles songs that have the least of his influence.  I like it when an analog music artists opens up and shares what's inside of them in an intimate, unadorned way.  Old-fashioned, I guess.
  • Options

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thriller, duh lol

Did you never listen to the lyrics about a night when monsters and evil spirits roam free or see the insanely popular music video (that mysteriously gets a ton of play in late October) where they dance a monster dance in monster costumes to the song about a night when monsters and evil spirits roam? lol

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I looked it up, Thriller is still number 1 worldwide, so MJ fans can relax lol

I was raised on Eagles so I'm biased (Victim of Love IS a slick-ass song, yo!), but putting that aside, I was always a little irked that the man with the best selling album wrote less than half of the songs on it, though his songs were the biggest hits of the album.

There's room in my world for both albums to coexist as masterworks, but I will always prefer music made by bonded bandmates playing instruments and singing and writing earnest songs.  The whole "studio creation" aspect of pop albums like Thriller doesn't produce less valuable art, but it's not my cup of tea.  
    It's like George Martin and the Beatles, I sure wouldn't wish for a world where that collaboration never happened, but in the end I prefer the Beatles songs that have the least of his influence.  I like it when an analog music artists opens up and shares what's inside of them in an intimate, unadorned way.  Old-fashioned, I guess.
    Atleast MJ isn't a poor mans CSN&Y with empty songs written just to... fill up an album.

Victim of Love is great.

Deserves to be posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdld0TgzjI
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Hahaha that's absolutely ridiculous?  How can someone think Thriller is music perfection AND like Pearl Jam.
    I have no idea how to respond to that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    It doesn't merit a response, I was just teasing you.  
    It is a bit odd though, for such diametrically opposed styles of art and execution to be at the top of your list.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    It doesn't merit a response, I was just teasing you.  
    It is a bit odd though, for such diametrically opposed styles of art and execution to be at the top of your list.
    My music tastes are pretty broad! ... Thriller is probably the most influential album of my entire life TBH. I'm pretty sure it literally triggered my lifelong love for music, at the age of six. I am proud to say that I still have the record that I bought with my allowance in 1982, and it is still in absolutely amazing condition. Not a scratch on it, despite the fact that I played it 500 times before I was 10, lol, and I still play it, and it still sounds incredible. Even the jacket and sleeves are in great shape. I guess I always treated my vinyl with care, haha.
  • Options
    I vividly remember being 9 and at my best friend's house.  Thriller had been out for about a year and be had decided it was the best thing ever 
    We were in his older sister's room and Matt played the record front to back, attempting to dance like he was Michael Jackson throughout

I begged him to put his sister's copy of Bark at The Moon or Pyromania on, but he insisted on playing Thriller again

I went home.

Put on my brother's Shout At The Devil record and thought about my need for a new best friend.  Anyone that would choose Michael Jackson over Heavy Metal was not for me 

I stayed best friends with him for a number of years but I should have trusted my judgement.  He dropped out of high school and was a full blown alcoholic by age 18.  I later learned that he bit his tongue off trying to detox one time.  

Hope he is ok now, but I stand by my choices.  Ozzy, Crue, and Def Leppard are all things I would gladly listen to now before Michael Jackson, based on music preference alone.

Bleh.
  • Options
    I vividly remember being 9 and at my best friend's house.  Thriller had been out for about a year and be had decided it was the best thing ever 
    We were in his older sister's room and Matt played the record front to back, attempting to dance like he was Michael Jackson throughout

I begged him to put his sister's copy of Bark at The Moon or Pyromania on, but he insisted on playing Thriller again

I went home.

Put on my brother's Shout At The Devil record and thought about my need for a new best friend.  Anyone that would choose Michael Jackson over Heavy Metal was not for me 

I stayed best friends with him for a number of years but I should have trusted my judgement.  He dropped out of high school and was a full blown alcoholic by age 18.  I later learned that he bit his tongue off trying to detox one time.  

Hope he is ok now, but I stand by my choices.  Ozzy, Crue, and Def Leppard are all things I would gladly listen to now before Michael Jackson, based on music preference alone.

Bleh.
    If you were to ask me whom went down the dark path, the Metal head or the Michael Jackson fan?  I pick the metal head every time, lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh man, that is a sad story!
    .... I never particularly liked the 80s metal bands. I still don't, really. I can appreciate them, but they're still not really my cup of tea at all. I think the closest I ever really got to 80s metal was GnR, lol. Well, Metallica I guess too, but really I only like the Black album, which was both 90s and generally poo-poo'd by metal purists, hahaha ... And I think Ozzy's best work is Ozzmosis, that is a great album, so do what you will with that, lol, and thank god I've still got my tongue!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thriller, duh lol

Did you never listen to the lyrics about a night when monsters and evil spirits roam free or see the insanely popular music video (that mysteriously gets a ton of play in late October) where they dance a monster dance in monster costumes to the song about a night when monsters and evil spirits roam? lol

Again, no.  It was just lyrics akin to a scary movie and had Vincent Price to boot!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I got my parents to rent the movie Thriller for my 7th birthday party - it was awesome. =)
  • Options

I went home.

Bleh.
    If you were to ask me whom went down the dark path, the Metal head or the Michael Jackson fan?  I pick the metal head every time, lol.
    I know, most people would pick that.
    His family was a pile of steaming dogshit.  For real.  Poor kid had some serious cards stacked against him.
    Liking Michael Jackson was just another door he was presented with on his path toward (most likely) a fucked up adulthood.
    They had 4 kids and 1 of them did ok for themselves.  From what I know 1 is dead and 2 others are/were grease fires.