Options

Vault 8 Presale

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Haha. Why use your one (1) Vault release a year on a show that is "messy" ?
    There is no getting around that side A has some major flaws in the songs, but if they eliminated those songs a number of people would go "here we go again, incomplete release".

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PB11041 said:
    There is no getting around that side A has some major flaws in the songs, but if they eliminated those songs a number of people would go "here we go again, incomplete release".

Or just pick a better show.  Tour openers are never the best shows of the tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

No, the second to last show of a tour is usually the best. Maybe they should just make vaults out of all their second to last shows, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

No, the second to last show of a tour is usually the best. Maybe they should just make vaults out of all their second to last shows, lol.
    This is true on occasion.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

Other than the pretty horrid ear monitor butchering the vocals issue on much of side A, the show is well played side B on out.  Is it the best show of the 2005 tour?  Absolutely not, but it was the one unreleased (the HOB show with Robert Plant is never going to see the light of day, at least with the Plant tracks on it, which brings it back to square 1, incomplete).  Even if they attempted to release one of the shows on the Canadian tour as the "best" there would be zero fan consensus in whatever show they chose.

I'd argue that the 2 choices to be vaults from the 1998 tour are not the best of the tour, but there is a lot more green field that tour being that only L2L existed from it on multi-track source.  

In any event, it would not hurt for the band to put some context around the rationale for each show, otherwise it is just speculation, like:

Vault 1 (PJ 20 gift) - the earliest multi-track recording that the band felt was strong beginning to end.
    Vault 2 - easily one of the more unique shows and from a tour of which no official releases were made.
    Vault 3 - rumored this was tabbed to be an official release back in 1998 but got scrubbed for the compilation L2L (I have to pull out my old ICE from 1998, assuming I bought the issue and did not just skim it in the record store)
    Vault 4 - this was to essentially put a bow on the 2000 series (I know there is still the show from the club in Vancouver, but this was surely the better test run for Burton and Eliason to run their system for the original boot series)
    Vault 5 - I have no idea why this show stood out to them, there are so many interesting shows to choose from in the fall of 1993
    Vault 6 - who knows, they must have just enjoyed it, night 2 always felt better of the two to me
    Vault 7 - nice to have, but was a crushing bummer that arguably the best element of this show, the encore was not available in multi-track
    Vault 8 - Brett went back to remix the 2005 Canadian Tour to replace the inferior mp3s released in 2005 immediately following the shows, he likely did this one in the process.

Of the 8 releases to date, I probably for my own personal reasons would have selected 1 of them and chosen 7 completely different choices.

Undoubtedly, a large segment of fans would have hated all 8 of my releases for a variety of reasons.

• Options
    PB11041 said:

Pick another show?

Myself, I don't care if they mess up. Doesn't bother me. But still...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Landed in Texas today.
    When putting it away, I realized I didn't order the last Vault.
    Anyone have an extra Soldier Field vault?
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    PB11041 said:

Pick another show?

Myself, I don't care if they mess up. Doesn't bother me. But still...
    Yeah, I mean sure, but, it is what it is, see above. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Finally got a chance to listen to vault 8.
    It wasn't as bad as I expected after all the comments. A few songs could have been better, but overall nothing I would really complain about.
    Still a vault worth getting. I guess it still remains a mystery as to why this was chosen, it isn't a bad show, but didn't really tand out either.
    In the end it isn't the best or worst vault we have.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Just spun it. Love the slow tempo. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    Yeah, I'm listening to it for the first time, at least on vinyl. I'm sure I've heard it on SiriusXM a few times.

I'm not sure "brutal" begins to describe it. Some record players have pitch control and I keep wishing this one did. It sounds like the record isn't spinning as fast as it should. (And yes, it's set to 33.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Hmm. I thought that pj used to play a little slower live. Then they started to play everything faster. Maybe it is just a messed up recording!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    edited April 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Hmm. I thought that pj used to play a little slower live. Then they started to play everything faster. Maybe it is just a messed up recording!

They definitely speed songs up when playing live in the modern era. On this recording, Eddie's voice definitely sounds lower...almost as if someone put their hands on the tape machine and slowed down playback.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"