Options

Medicare for all

2»

Comments

• Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    edited August 2018
    I pay less than $100/month premium, $420 deductible and I feel damn lucky. I know the system is wrecked for most, but now that my mom is in her 70's I see how seniors get such a raw deal. She has three insurance policies including Medicare. Three. One just to cover hospital stays. And the cost of her meds still isn't covered entirely. That's tough when you're living off social security. Not to mention my 101 grandmother is in an assisted living home that costs almost $5k/month. Ridiculous. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    Wait a minute Baffoon sold the country on having thee best plan ever for the whole country to be covered , what happened with that ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Wait a minute Baffoon sold the country on having thee best plan ever for the whole country to be covered , what happened with that ? 
    Apparently there will be some plans released that do not meet the ACA standards but the penalty is gone effective Jan 1.

These plans do NOT cover pre-existing conditions.  Remember the old health insurance applications?  What a fucking joke.

They will be cheaper but they won't cover shit.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Who knew not being a con artist would be so hard.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,107
    I gotta admit, there was a long time I was very against universal health care.  I still think it's far from perfect and there will be lots of waste and it will cost me personally probably more than I pay right now.  That said it's way better than what we currently have.  The #1 worst thing in health care is that insurance companies can not cover pre-existing conditions.  That combined with the fact that insurance companies are why the price of health care is so expensive is unbelievable really.   So - since the reoublicans had a chance to institute a better program and failed...and since Obamacare was going to fail eventually to (because insurance companies were still part of it)....I'm very much so open to universal healthcare.  I still think there is a better solution out there, but I personally don't have the info to know exactly what it is.  And it seems no one is able to communicate it...so bring on universal health care.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,002
    edited August 2018
    I gotta admit, there was a long time I was very against universal health care.  I still think it's far from perfect and there will be lots of waste and it will cost me personally probably more than I pay right now.  That said it's way better than what we currently have.  The #1 worst thing in health care is that insurance companies can not cover pre-existing conditions.  That combined with the fact that insurance companies are why the price of health care is so expensive is unbelievable really.   So - since the reoublicans had a chance to institute a better program and failed...and since Obamacare was going to fail eventually to (because insurance companies were still part of it)....I'm very much so open to universal healthcare.  I still think there is a better solution out there, but I personally don't have the info to know exactly what it is.  And it seems no one is able to communicate it...so bring on universal health care.  
    What is better than everyone chipping in a little, to help out to those who need when they are in need?

It's called being part of a community. Being a mensch. And it has no real setbacks compared to the benefits.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,107
    What is better than everyone chipping in a little, to help out to those who need when they are in need?

It's called being part of a community. Being a mensch. And it has no real setbacks compared to the benefits.
    I feel there is likely a very good system out there that would protect pre-existing conditions, cover catastrophic medical issues, and reduce the cost of regular "maintenance" health items..  Providing cost free or reduced for those that can't pay.  But not just make everything "free" so that there is waste in the system and long waits for service.  I already said I don't know how to set it up myself, don't know enough.  And until someone can articulate a system that meets that standard, universal health care seems the next best choice.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I feel there is likely a very good system out there that would protect pre-existing conditions, cover catastrophic medical issues, and reduce the cost of regular "maintenance" health items..  Providing cost free or reduced for those that can't pay.  But not just make everything "free" so that there is waste in the system and long waits for service.  I already said I don't know how to set it up myself, don't know enough.  And until someone can articulate a system that meets that standard, universal health care seems the next best choice.
    I wonder if technology and advanced AI systems will be able to provide exactly what you are looking for.  Watson is one of the best diagnostic "minds" on the planet, imagine a cloud computing AI system that could combine medical histories, complaints, physical symptoms and indicators, etc to produce a preliminary diagnosis that is then checked by a doctor who is selected and booked by a similar system which accounts for all the factors that influence access and availability, and then the same type of all encompassing system delivers the treatment at the lowest cost and highest convenience.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/16/1919769/-John-Oliver-DESTROYED-every-argument-against-M4A-tonight?detail=facebook&fbclid=IwAR018xsaNp_hwwypIuilzBceOq7WeKcwpY2FQs2esb5pbD9irrmxbP0O7gA

Good points....I have been saying for years that we should just slowly decrease the age that we enter Medicare until we are all covered.

i.e. 2021 age 64, 2022 age 62, 2023 age 60, etc.

Phase it in and be done with it.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    Option. Medicare Option For All......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Employers would have adjust pay for those employees that opted out of Emp. sponsored and in to MO4A. maybe employer costs now are paid in? I get not all plans privately are equal anfd larger companies in theory get discounted rates depending on employee pool.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Employers would have adjust pay for those employees that opted out of Emp. sponsored and in to MO4A. maybe employer costs now are paid in? I get not all plans privately are equal anfd larger companies in theory get discounted rates depending on employee pool.
    I just know that my wife's recent hospital bill of $60K was discounted down to $14K through our insurance.  That means the hospital billed $60K yet both the hospital and insurance company agreed that $14K was a fair price to pay.

And I pay $16,800/year in premiums.

This whole industry is fucked and the middle man needs to go fuck him/herself.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I just know that my wife's recent hospital bill of $60K was discounted down to $14K through our insurance.  That means the hospital billed $60K yet both the hospital and insurance company agreed that $14K was a fair price to pay.

And I pay $16,800/year in premiums.

This whole industry is fucked and the middle man needs to go fuck him/herself.
    I agree. Ins Cos primary goal is to increase stockholder share price.....