Options

Spoiled by Pearl Jam

2»

Comments

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    SP218311 said:
    Definitely feel spoiled/lucky.  Though I can still enjoy other bands that have a fairly static setlist (U2 and Foo Fighters, for example) because they appear to bring some passion and fun to their shows (I just try to avoid checking setlists prior to going).  And they are in the 2.5+ hour club, which I think is just generally rare outside of the jam band scene.  Saw the Chili Peppers on their last tour and I was totally disappointed that the show was like an hour long.

On the other hand, just saw Radiohead over the weekend and was blown away... 25 songs, 2.5 hours, really awesome light show and a different set each night.  The show's production didn't lend itself to differing setlists... it seemed so choreographed, yet I know the crew didnt get the setlist until a few hours before the show. 

Other bands that I like that change it up each night are Deer Tick, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Bruce, Ryan Adams, and Father John Misty (even though they don't like each other).  Leaving Jack White off of this list even though I do love him (he claims to play without a setlist, but it really seems to be the same songs ordered differently each night).
    I will say this about the static set lists - sometimes it is nice to know what to expect. I like the Foo Fighters, but I'm not a huge fan, so it was cool to be able to peruse their lists and say, okay, I should listen to a bunch of the new stuff, but they're also playing the older hits. (Also, it saves me money, as I know that if FF comes back around in a couple of years, we'll only have to go for one night.) They do have a great energy though.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,051
    edited August 2018
    It was some contrast going from seeing Pearl Jam in London to Guns N Roses a few days after. Guns N Roses show was a "show" but stale and felt like watching a play. Not much spontaneity which is the reason I go watch stuff live - varied setlist or not.

Was the same going from seeing Neil Young to a Bruce show in 2016. Bruce put on a great show and it was all cool.... but there was a sheen of something fabricated and professional over it. While Neil Young was just more honest and "living".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Radiohead is on a different planet than everyone else 
    Pretty much this.  The two Boston shows I saw last week were beyond epic.  Only 4 songs repeated and that light show- holy shit was it incredible.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    coming partly from a jam band background i am use to 3 hour shows and ever changing set lists   lol
    i would not be the PJ fan that i am today if it wasn't for the element of surprise...the point of knowing that almost anything can happen at any time. that is the thrill IMO
    Spot on! 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Radiohead is on a different planet than everyone else 
    Pretty much this.  The two Boston shows I saw last week were beyond epic.  Only 4 songs repeated and that light show- holy shit was it incredible.
    Same....never saw them live before this year.  Actually never owned an album until I bought Moon Shaped Pool....now I own them all

I caught both Chicago shows then hit Columbus/Cincy.  8 repeats at the second Chicago show.

They have set video for a few songs (The Tourist, Paranoid, etc.) but most of the video is live cameras on each of them projected onto the big screen.  I love that because there isn't a bad seat in the house when you can see everyone up close like that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    edited August 2018
    We are truly spoiled by Pearl Jam.  I notice it the most when I go see other bands and the setlist is only 18-20 songs and stage time is around 90 minutes.  I've been trained by PJ  - and my 2nd favorite band Rush - to expect 3+ hour shows every single time since they are the two bands I've seen the most live over the years.  That's not to say I haven't seen 3 hour shows from other bands - Smashing Pumpkins did it last week, Green Day was pretty close last year - or that other bands don't mix up setlists, but for the majority of artists it's 90 minutes of the same ~20 songs night by night.