Options

Spoiled by Pearl Jam

imca43imca43 Posts: 54
So last year wife and I saw Metallica in Philly. we just got back from Smashing Pumpkins in Philly. Each band played 3 hours like PJ and the pumpkins played 31 songs. the last 3 shows for PJ that we saw in philly all ran 3 hours 30+- songs. Upon doing some research before and after this most recent pumpkins concert and metallica last year, they play the same show night after night with very little variance in songs. I know this has allot to do with elaborate stage shows and lighting. I had once heard that Eddie writes the setlist an hour before the show and i must say, that is awesome. I love the fact that each show is different and unique. Not the same exact 30 songs grinded out show after show. Dont get me wrong metallica and pumpkins shows where great but knowing its the exact same show the rest of the country got takes away some of the magic. 

we also noticed that throughout town and at pumpkins show there was not that electricity and comrade that we notice for PJ shows. We're from central NY and love making trips down there for shows.  So at this point, we truely feel spoiled by PJ and their shows. 

Oh and back to the 3 hours, i heard people at the smashing pumpkins concert and reviews online that 3 hours was too long for a concert. Heres a tip, please dont buy a ticket next time. Who in their right mind would complain that 3 hours is too long to see a rock band that you paid for. Especially to the tune of $150 a ticket. 
Buffalo, New York (October 01, 1996)
Saratoga Springs, New York (August 27, 2000)
Philadelphia, PA (October 21, 2013)
Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
Philadelphia 2 (April 29, 2016)

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    It's recently been reported that Metallica uses Spotify to see what songs are the most popular in that area and do change the setlists....is this not correct?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    imca43 said:
    So last year wife and I saw Metallica in Philly. we just got back from Smashing Pumpkins in Philly. Each band played 3 hours like PJ and the pumpkins played 31 songs. the last 3 shows for PJ that we saw in philly all ran 3 hours 30+- songs. Upon doing some research before and after this most recent pumpkins concert and metallica last year, they play the same show night after night with very little variance in songs. I know this has allot to do with elaborate stage shows and lighting. I had once heard that Eddie writes the setlist an hour before the show and i must say, that is awesome. I love the fact that each show is different and unique. Not the same exact 30 songs grinded out show after show. Dont get me wrong metallica and pumpkins shows where great but knowing its the exact same show the rest of the country got takes away some of the magic. 

we also noticed that throughout town and at pumpkins show there was not that electricity and comrade that we notice for PJ shows. We're from central NY and love making trips down there for shows.  So at this point, we truely feel spoiled by PJ and their shows. 

Oh and back to the 3 hours, i heard people at the smashing pumpkins concert and reviews online that 3 hours was too long for a concert. Heres a tip, please dont buy a ticket next time. Who in their right mind would complain that 3 hours is too long to see a rock band that you paid for. Especially to the tune of $150 a ticket. 

def spoiled.  I enjoyed both bands when I saw them this year and last. I am a huge Pumpkins fan but I agree those shows are missing the magic of the PJ shows. It has a lot to do with the fans!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    It's recently been reported that Metallica uses Spotify to see what songs are the most popular in that area and do change the setlists....is this not correct?
    Not 100% sure on spotify. But, on their recent euro tour, they changed up 5 songs on the setlist nightly. Then the rest of the set is played the same every night.
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Looks like a great idea but for some reason I would totally hate that.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    EM194007 said:
    Not 100% sure on spotify. But, on their recent euro tour, they changed up 5 songs on the setlist nightly. Then the rest of the set is played the same every night.
    I saw the article over the weekend. Yeah they play variations of the same set, but those variations can be  unexpected rarities, not unlike PJ.
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/07/metallica-base-setlists-spotify-data/

On a side note, if everyone in Toronto could start listening to The Unforgiven III on repeat for the next year, I'd highly appreciate it.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    imca43 said:

I can see how people think 3 hours is long enough.   You can always leave at 2 hours if you wanted, but I guess you may not get to hear the hits they end with . 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited July 2018
    I totally understand how 3 hours is too long for some people, and I also get why nobody would want to leave a show early even if it's too long for them. I sure don't begrudge people for feeling that way and would never suggest they just not buy a ticket .... I think 3 hours is too long for many simply because most can't keep their energy up for that long, and not for lack of trying, especially when we're talking these aging Gen X crowds. Rock concerts are an intense experience for the senses, and can eventually lead to a kind of sensory overload, which translates into emotional exhaustion for a lot of people. Not to mention physical exhaustion as well, if you're up in the pit.
    There is also the other problem that isn't felt everywhere, but does here because of the liquor laws as they apply to the largest arena/stadium venues in the city: the concessions close down when the main act hits the stage. So everyone who is drinking and partying it up before the show and during the opener might have a drink or two stashed under their seat for the main act, but besides that, you can't keep drinking. That leads to a whole lot of hungover people by the 2 hour mark or so. It's really really stupid.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 688
    I saw Candlebox last week. They had two openers and did maybe an hour and fifteen minute set. I do not take these shows for granted. Definitely spoiled. 
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    EM194007 said:
    got tired how everytime Metallica ends with Sandman
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I saw the Smashing Pumpkins in 2011 in Luxembourg. The venue was sold out and the crowd was very exited as it was their first show here since 2007.
    The setlist was awesome as they played a lot of deep cuts...after the show I realised that the majority of the crowd was pissed because the band played a lot of ‘unknown’ songs.
    They came back two years latter and the same venue was half empty.
    The fact that Billy Corgan seemed to be bored and basically did not communicate further alienated the crowd.
    In my area, a band like the SP attracts essentially casual fans and I think that their crowds are not prepared for revolving setlists where all the staples are not played.

The same can be said with Metallica but the way that they mixe staples with a few deep cuts in rotating slots is what make the majority of people fine. I had to admit that I would be disappointed at a Metallica show without Master of Puppets played.

I saw Candlebox last year in Germany and they played only 80’. We were less than 100 so I don’t want to blame them for performing a short set...Regarding the 25th anniversary shows, the fact that they were played by the original line up probably explains why they played only songs from the first album. However I am sure that I would have been pissed as it was supposed to be exceptional shows.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 688
    I saw the Smashing Pumpkins in 2011 in Luxembourg. The venue was sold out and the crowd was very exited as it was their first show here since 2007.
    The setlist was awesome as they played a lot of deep cuts...after the show I realised that the majority of the crowd was pissed because the band played a lot of ‘unknown’ songs.
    The fact that Billy Corgan seemed to be bored and basically did not communicate further alienated the crowd.
    In my area, a band like the SP attracts essentially casual fans and I think that their crowds are not prepared for revolving setlists where all the staples are not played.

The same can be said with Metallica but the way that they mixe staples with a few deep cuts in rotating slots is what make the majority of people fine. I had to admit that I would be disappointed at a Metallica show without Master of Puppets played.

I saw Candlebox last year in Germany and they played only 80’. We were less than 100 so I don’t want to blame them for performing a short set...Regarding the 25th anniversary shows, the fact that they were played by the original line up probably explains why they played only songs from the first album. However I am sure that I would have been pissed as it was supposed to be exceptional shows.
    I wasn't pissed at all. I really enjoyed it. They honestly probably don't have two hours plus of material IMO.

Other bands just do it differently. In comparison I've seen a lot of bands do short sets as well. Not everyone can pull off the three hour show. They don't have the songs, stamina, longevity etc etc. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    I always thought a band playing the same set list would be boring for them after a while. who wants to do the same thing night after night?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    pjhawks said:
    I always thought a band playing the same set list would be boring for them after a while. who wants to do the same thing night after night?
     I think when you're earning that much money in only a couple hours it suddenly becomes a lot more fun, lol.
    Plus, I'm sure there is an adrenaline rush involved for most rock stars just being in front of crowds like that, which might keep it un-boring no matter what they're playing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    In a word yes we are spoiled 
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499

I wasn't pissed at all. I really enjoyed it. They honestly probably don't have two hours plus of material IMO.

Other bands just do it differently. In comparison I've seen a lot of bands do short sets as well. Not everyone can pull off the three hour show. They don't have the songs, stamina, longevity etc etc. 
    Sorry, my reply was not clear enough.
    I would have been pissed if I had make the trip from Europe to Seattle thinking that these would be very special shows to attend.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    A lot of bands don’t have the catalog of songs at thier disposal. Just go back from Pixies and Weezer and I think they went three hours together. Weezer could go longer if they wanted to. Pixies just hammered away a lot of songs in a shorter time.  No convo with the crowd.  
  • Options
    belthookbelthook Bergen County, NJ Posts: 98
    Very valid point here.  Just saw the Foo Fighters MSG 2 weeks ago.  I was only able to see Night 2 but the show was great.  My cousin went to both nights and other than a few covers the setlists were exactly the same top to bottom.  If you see PJ at MSG you will hear roughly 60 songs with maybe 5 repeats.  Foo Fighters played 23 songs with 20 repeats.
    • 2022: 02/06/22 NJ PAC (EV & Earthlings), 09/11/22 MSG, 09/14/22 Camden
    • 2021: 09/18/21 Asbury Park
    • 2018: 09/02/18 Fenway Park
    • 2016: 08/05/16 Fenway Park, 05/02/16 MSG, 05/01/16 MSG
    • 2013:10/18/13 Barclay's, 10/19/13 Barclay's
    • 2010: 05/21/10 MSG, 05/20/10 MSG
    • 2008: 08/07/08 NJ PAC (EV Solo), 6/25/08 MSG
    • 2006: 06/03/06 Continental Airlines Arena, 06/01/06 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 2003: 07/14/03 PNC, 07/09/03 MSG, 07/08/03 MSG
    • 1998: 09/08/98 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 1996: 10/02/96 Dodge Music Center

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    It's not just setlists, either. Some bands do the exact same show right down to the "banter" between songs.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    Mike D88 said:
    It's not just setlists, either. Some bands do the exact same show right down to the "banter" between songs.
    yep...foo fighters...corny as hell
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,816
    pjhawks said:
    I can understand this point, but it also allows the band to focus on playing just that group of songs, knowing them inside and out, and so they can play them flawlessly night in and night out. I know PJ rehearses stuff when they get ready to go out on tour, but the ever-changing set list means they can't possibly have everything prepped for each night, which leads to fun things like Eddie forgetting the lyrics, Stone flubbing the guitar fill in Thin Air, or Matt Cameron playing the intro to Grievance a few songs too early (and, I do mean fun non-sarcastically; I always hope for flawless performances, but I don't mind when they mess up). The point is, I can see the advantage to playing the same songs night-in and night-out.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,363
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:
    I can understand this point, but it also allows the band to focus on playing just that group of songs, knowing them inside and out, and so they can play them flawlessly night in and night out. I know PJ rehearses stuff when they get ready to go out on tour, but the ever-changing set list means they can't possibly have everything prepped for each night, which leads to fun things like Eddie forgetting the lyrics, Stone flubbing the guitar fill in Thin Air, or Matt Cameron playing the intro to Grievance a few songs too early (and, I do mean fun non-sarcastically; I always hope for flawless performances, but I don't mind when they mess up). The point is, I can see the advantage to playing the same songs night-in and night-out.
    I believe this is why PJ merch is much more coveted than any other band. The shows truly are one of a kind.
  • Options
    MisterEtake2MisterEtake2 Posts: 370
    edited July 2018
    I love Pearl Jam but hardly feel spoiled by them.  Compared to Pearl Jam, I feel spoiled by the Dave Matthews Band.  They release new music,  and they tour extensively almost every year.  Unless you have a lot of disposable income and disposable time, it is very hard to see Pearl Jam live on a regular basis.

• Options
    Pearl Jam definitely play long and mix it up a ton, BUT a lot of other bands do too if you get outside of the 90's rock/legacy act bubble.  Off the top of my head bands I've seen in the last couple of years that mix it up quite a bit and play 2+ hours (some over 3):

Bruce Springsteen
    Greensky Bluegrass
    Phish
    Radiohead
    Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Ween
    Wilco

"What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Mike D88 said:
    Agree so corny how metallica have the same banter before Sandman and Sad But True for more than 5 years
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    I love Pearl Jam but hardly feel spoiled by them.  Compared to Pearl Jam, I feel spoiled by the Dave Matthews Band.  They release new music,  and they tour extensively almost every year.  Unless you have a lot of disposable income and disposable time, it is very hard to see Pearl Jam live on a regular basis.

All they need now is some music that sounds good, and they'd be perfect. =)
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I’m totally spoiled by PJ setlists. I wish all my favorite artists had the same approach.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    coming partly from a jam band background i am use to 3 hour shows and ever changing set lists   lol
    i would not be the PJ fan that i am today if it wasn't for the element of surprise...the point of knowing that almost anything can happen at any time. that is the thrill IMO
  • Options
    SP218311SP218311 Boston, MA Posts: 166
    Definitely feel spoiled/lucky.  Though I can still enjoy other bands that have a fairly static setlist (U2 and Foo Fighters, for example) because they appear to bring some passion and fun to their shows (I just try to avoid checking setlists prior to going).  And they are in the 2.5+ hour club, which I think is just generally rare outside of the jam band scene.  Saw the Chili Peppers on their last tour and I was totally disappointed that the show was like an hour long.

On the other hand, just saw Radiohead over the weekend and was blown away... 25 songs, 2.5 hours, really awesome light show and a different set each night.  The show's production didn't lend itself to differing setlists... it seemed so choreographed, yet I know the crew didnt get the setlist until a few hours before the show. 

Other bands that I like that change it up each night are Deer Tick, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Bruce, Ryan Adams, and Father John Misty (even though they don't like each other).  Leaving Jack White off of this list even though I do love him (he claims to play without a setlist, but it really seems to be the same songs ordered differently each night).
    1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Pearl Jam definitely play long and mix it up a ton, BUT a lot of other bands do too if you get outside of the 90's rock/legacy act bubble.  Off the top of my head bands I've seen in the last couple of years that mix it up quite a bit and play 2+ hours (some over 3):

Bruce Springsteen
    Greensky Bluegrass
    Phish
    Radiohead
    Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Ween
    Wilco

Yep, for Radiohead, anyway. During their two shows in Toronto a week or so ago they performed 25 songs each night and only three songs were repeated. Awesome.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Radiohead is on a different planet than everyone else