What's your feeling about the two-party system in the US or other countries with a two party system?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
edited July 2018 in A Moving Train
Pick one and let's see where this goes.  And maybe tell us why you made your choice.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What's your feeling about the two-party system in the US or other countries with a two party system? 22 votes

I would like to see every candidate run strictly on his or her own merits.
54%
teskeincLedbetterman10lastexitlondonHesCalledDyerKev - Coat and KeysKC138045ponytdbrianluxF Me In The Braintempo_n_groovePJWGIIIJbomberger 12 votes
I'm against the strictly two-party system and would like to see a balanced three-party system.
0%
I'm against the strictly two-party system and would like to see a balanced four or more-party system.
31%
cincybearcatjeffbrflywallyflyThoughts_ArriveBanjopearldavidsonPJ_Soul 7 votes
I'm not thrilled with the two-party system but I don't think three or more would work.
0%
I'm fine with the two-party system. Don't rock the boat.
4%
mschostok 1 vote
I want a one party system, I'm all for a benevolent dictator.
0%
I'm totally against any party system (please expain this alternative)
4%
Pap 1 vote
Other (please explain)
4%
Meltdown99 1 vote

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Should I add another choice called "No Comment"?  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Ah!  We have some votes.  But so far, no comments.

I went with "I would like to see every candidate run strictly on his or her own merits".  I don't think that has a chance of being put into practice, but why not put it out there?  I think it would be great.  Don't give us your tired party line rhetoric, tell us what you are going to do to help lead and make your world or country or state or province or city or town a better place.  I'm all for this idea.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Is there a crush your opponent party?

I'm for candidates that want to reduce the role of govt in people's lives.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    edited July 2018
    I'm against the strictly two-party system and would like to see a balanced four or more-party system.
    I made my choice because I hate both of the current parties but and feel that more competition and split govt would eventually end in more compromise (after a tough transition period). 

I do like the idea of parties with ties in some aspects as it would be too hard to govern with no one agreeing on a platform.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
    unsung said:
    Is there a crush your opponent party?

I'm for candidates that want to reduce the role of govt in people's lives.
    "Is there a crush your opponent party?"
    Isn't that what every party wants- to crush their opponent? 

"I'm for candidates that want to reduce the role of govt in people's lives." 
    But wait, how can you have both candidates and no government?

• flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    I like the idea of several parties so that no single party has a majority. This way they are forced to work with the others to get anything passed which means (in theory) that nothing extremely radical will be passed unless it benefits all.
    I like the idea of several parties so that no single party has a majority. This way they are forced to work with the others to get anything passed which means (in theory) that nothing extremely radical will be passed unless it benefits all.
    I thought about the multi-party choice  a lot as well.  Definitely has some merits.  "Benefits all"-- I like the sound of that. Thanks for chiming in here.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Same old crap here too. Both the Liberals and Labor often let Aussies down.
    We have minor parties but they will never get elected.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    If we're discussing parliamentary democracy, then pluralism and polyvocality are prerequisites (3rd option). However, because Greece has a pretty much two-party system (totally corrupted as all of them are), I'd like to see how a self-governed society based on voluntary institutions (i.e., anarchism) would work out.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Same old crap here too. Both the Liberals and Labor often let Aussies down.
    We have minor parties but they will never get elected.
    We get a few from other parties or independents that win, but a very small minority. 

Pap said:
    If we're discussing parliamentary democracy, then pluralism and polyvocality are prerequisites (3rd option). However, because Greece has a pretty much two-party system (totally corrupted as all of them are), I'd like to see how a self-governed society based on voluntary institutions (i.e., anarchism) would work out.
    Interesting thought, Pap!  Has there been a society bold enough to attempt something like that?  None that I can think of.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,824
    I'm horrible at politics  and I never understand  what each side is meant to represent.  The lines are too blurred. I think if each candidate  ran independently  then we chose I would have more of a clue . It seems all smoke and mirrors  to me. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Other (please explain)
    I am in favour of more direct democracy.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Other (please explain)
    I made my choice because I hate both of the current parties but and feel that more competition and split govt would eventually end in more compromise (after a tough transition period). 

I do like the idea of parties with ties in some aspects as it would be too hard to govern with no one agreeing on a platform.
    We have 4 parties federally ... only 2 parties run the country into the ground ...  ;)
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Other (please explain)

The only way I am in favour of minority governments is if there was a fixed election date.  In Canada, we get minority governments from time to time,  but often leads to unnecessary early elections because a no confidence vote has taken place.  Remove the no confidence vote and force them to co-operate for the entire 4 term, then that would be fine...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Other (please explain)

I'm horrible at politics  and I never understand  what each side is meant to represent.  The lines are too blurred. I think if each candidate  ran independently  then we chose I would have more of a clue . It seems all smoke and mirrors  to me. 
    Even if they ran independently they would form voting blocks.  That's what municipal is like.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

We have 4 parties federally ... only 2 parties run the country into the ground ...  ;)
    Can you name an elected official from a party other than the Dems and Repub at the federal level? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Fuck Republicans. Fuck Democrats. Love America. Be Independent.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:

I went with "I would like to see every candidate run strictly on his or her own merits".  I don't think that has a chance of being put into practice, but why not put it out there?  I think it would be great.  Don't give us your tired party line rhetoric, tell us what you are going to do to help lead and make your world or country or state or province or city or town a better place.  I'm all for this idea.

It simply wouldn't work, so I'm simply not sure I see any point in putting it out there. I think that politics kind of require actual groups of people who all operate with a shared understanding of what their platform is so that they can all work together towards common goals. Otherwise it would likely just be chaos for each candidate and their cohorts. It would also be chaos within parliament or whatever government system you had in mind. How would a zero party system operate specifically?? Just a bunch of individuals all voicing their individual opinions and ideas? I would imagine that debates and votes about any bill would last forever if they did that. Government would essentially grind to a halt.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    I thought about the multi-party choice  a lot as well.  Definitely has some merits.  "Benefits all"-- I like the sound of that. Thanks for chiming in here.
    I'm also in favor of a system in which multiple parties represent voters. A parliamentary system with proportional representation. It accomplishes a few things - 1) the forming of coalitions - since no party will likely have a straight majority it requires parties to work together and form coalitions; 2) keeps parties in check - if a party gets too out of touch they won't be able to form coalitions and will fade to a footnote; 3) allows people to feel like their vote actually matters - people can better shape government by voting their conscience or a platform they can back rather than holding their nose and picking the least detestable of their two choices. Right now we are often forced to choose between a turd burger and a shit sandwich. I'd rather pick something tastier; 4) more candidates and more choices equates to a better chance that we could have candidates who are not beholden to particular special interests or party machinations. The smaller parties with the innovative ideas can come in, take votes, and have an influence via coalition, on the shaping of a larger party's agenda.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Other (please explain)

Can you name an elected official from a party other than the Dems and Repub at the federal level? ;)
    In the US ... probably not.  I'm sure there are independents somewhere.  In Canada if the government has a majority they do whatever they want.  In our system we elect our dictators. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    How would no single party out of several not have a majority while people are still voting? If you want to evenly balance it between all parties then wouldn't voting become moot?
    If you are just talking about there always be a minority governing party.... that isn't so hot. Minority governments don't tend to get all that much done.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said: Has there been a society bold enough to attempt something like that?

Native American tribes and indigenous populations all over the globe are led in a more or less same way. Going back in history, I'm sure there are many more examples of democratically governed communities (of course including their flaws).
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

In the US ... probably not.  I'm sure there are independents somewhere.  In Canada if the government has a majority they do whatever they want.  In our system we elect our dictators. 
    Please people, don't base your understanding of how Canadian politics work on what Meltdown says. I'm not sure anyone in the AMT has ever been as biased and willing to spew silly false facts on this board.
    Other (please explain)
    PJ_Soul said:

Please people, don't base your understanding of how Canadian politics work on what Meltdown says. I'm not sure anyone in the AMT has ever been as biased and willing to spew silly false facts on this board.
    Yes base everything on what you say.  You have to be a Millennial.  Now go talk about other people in a post and leave me the fuck alone.  If you can not disagree directl , then don't fuck in mention...

Yesterday you made sarcastic smily face about mu divorce.  You are a real piece of fucking work.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes base everything on what you say.  You have to be a Millennial.  Now go talk about other people in a post and leave me the fuck alone.  If you can not disagree directl , then don't fuck in mention...

Yesterday you made sarcastic smily face about mu divorce.  You are a real piece of fucking work.  
    :lol: You get what you give. Stop spewing bullshit and I'll lay off.
    (and no, I'm not a millennial - I don't know what that comment was supposed to mean, but I assume it insults Millennials. What have you got against Millennials?).
    But with the comment about your divorce... Sorry that bothered you. My intent was genuine friendliness. Sometimes bad situations need a little humour. I've been through a heinous break up too; it's hard, but there is always room for jokes IMO. Obviously you disagree.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

It simply wouldn't work, so I'm simply not sure I see any point in putting it out there. I think that politics kind of require actual groups of people who all operate with a shared understanding of what their platform is so that they can all work together towards common goals. Otherwise it would likely just be chaos for each candidate and their cohorts. It would also be chaos within parliament or whatever government system you had in mind. How would a zero party system operate specifically?? Just a bunch of individuals all voicing their individual opinions and ideas? I would imagine that debates and votes about any bill would last forever if they did that. Government would essentially grind to a halt.
    Yeah, it probably wouldn't work but I'd be willing to give it a try.  We're already in the midst of massive chaos.

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Can we form a common sense party and get rid of the extreme left and right
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:
    Sounds great but would everyone agree as to what is common sense?  Don't get me wrong- I would hope so- but common sense seems like a fairly scarce thing these days. 

brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    Sounds great but would everyone agree as to what is common sense?  Don't get me wrong- I would hope so- but common sense seems like a fairly scarce thing these days. 
    Where does the common sense party stand on guns, taxes, abortion, immigration?
    hippiemom = goodness