Given To Live - thank yous, and an assistants account working for GTL

pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,051
Many of you will now know I think very highly of the GTL project and following their mission to take their applicant to the Krakow show a few weeks ago, I wanted to share with you all my experience of working along side Tom briefly. This is just my recap of what I have witnessed first hand and some of the many reasons I encourage Tom, help Tom and support Tom as far as possible in continuing with his efforts even when times are tough. 

I know also that there have been several extremely generous community members here who have donated items from the shows this tour to help him fund raise in the coming weeks (so keep your eyes peeled for those great opportunities) - and I know that every item donated is very much appreciated. Those donations are everything to Tom, giving him the opportunity to move ahead with his next applicants, and keep his momentum going in the right direction. I wanted to thank everyone who has shown such kindness to Tom, I find it absolutely beautiful that people ignore their own potential personal gains, and use their items to further this great cause. 

I also know that there have been some wonderful fundraising efforts within the Polish fan community raising good sums for GTL during the build up to this tour and during Tom and Evas long walk to London. You people are amazing. Finally I know Howard has been monumental recently in helping Tom fundraise.......all because he feels it, gets it and loves it. 

Anyway - Heres my recap on working with Given to Live - to give those who are interested in what this great project gives to the people it helps..............

I first met Tom in 2009 and immediately realised I had found a friend for life in a chance live concert encounter. We stayed in touch, and I was delighted when he set up his project Given to Live following his trip to America. The basis upon which the idea was conceived and the circumstance it grew from was organic and inspiring. Tom always struck me as a person with a huge heart and it followed therefore that the Given to Life concept would fit perfectly with his personality. 

To start such an organisation takes a huge amount of confidence, self belief and hard work not to mention money. There were obstacles to overcome, and hurdles to get over in the early days, and opening essential doors when starting from scratch was never easy. However I know first hand the dedication and energy Tom poured into Given To Live, pretty much on his own to ensure his dreams were realised. 

I have been and continue to be amazed and inspired by what Given to Live have done and keep doing, and am keen to support Tom at every opportunity. Sometimes it may just be moral support, sometimes it is fund raising and on two occasions it was to assist him on the day of a concert as his 'right hand man' tasked with operational duties, talking to venue staff, taking videos, and assisting with the client on the day of a show to make sure they and their family are taken care of. 

Tom asked me to assist him firstly when taking a young man (Kelvin) to see his favourite band Slipknot play at Donnington Festival. This was my first time seeing the Given to Live experience unfold in person. I'll be honest I hadn't fully comprehended the level of planning that goes into these events and the attention to detail that is there. Everything was taken care of throughout the day, disability camping, rest intervals, places to get some space and relax, transport, food laid on by sponsors, drink, and a constant monitoring of Kelvins needs to ensure he was in the right place. Tom had ensured access to the VIP area from the festival organisers and Slipknot (with the help of  Slipknots phenomenal management team led by Michelle). The area itself was peaceful and relaxed and away from the hustle and bustle of Download which can naturally become a little overwhelming for a young man with complex learning difficulties. Of course Tom knew this well advance and knew that to ensure Kelvin had a day to remember the day needed careful planning and monitoring to ensure he was comfortable at all times. The fact that he also had secretly organised a meeting with his hero was just another part of the day - Tom knows the impact such an encounter can have on a fans life and he somehow managed to reach out to Corey Taylor personally and secure a meet and greet with him on the day that Slipknot were due to headline the event. Two hours before they were due on stage, i was able to observe and absorb the moment that this very special young mans dreams were made. His reaction to the surprise meeting with Corey was absolutely spell binding. The kind of pure unadulterated joy that money cannot buy. His elation and happiness was nothing short of palpable. I thought before this that I understood why Tom devoted himself to running this project, but I don't think i had even started to grasp the magnitude of what he does, and how utterly wonderful the given to life experience is to its applicants. I was lucky enough to witness this first hand and get a flavour of how special this is. Its remarkable and in all honesty I find myself struggling for the superlatives to do it justice. 

Corey Taylor, who was an absolute gentleman and a true inspiration, ensured Kelvin was fully at ease, he took full control of his audience and managed his fan's enthusiasm perfectly, engaging with him like a long lost friend. There was a sense of disbelief with Kelvin that it was happening, a wonderment in his eyes. He was in another world, and it was beautiful. Tom had made a dream come true, and whilst I snapped away with the camera capturing as many memories in stills and video as I could, I could not escape or fail to grasp how powerful an impact GTL has on peoples lives. 

Fast forward 9 months, and another young man had had an application accepted. Declan also wanted to experience Slipknot and given they were heading back to the UK to play a few arenas on a short tour, the scene was set. Tom was able to contact Corey, who had become quite the supporter of GTL over the last year, and secure VIP tickets, a meet and greet and backstage access for this amazing young man - whom also struggled with some learning difficulties. Trains, hotels, taxi's, food were all laid on, for both Declan and his mother, and Tom made sure they had absolutely nothing at all to think about other than seeing the concert. It was seamless, and what struck me was the lengths Tom went to to ensure that Declans mum was taken care of and had a fully stress free time. I hadn't fully appreciated that Tom is as committed to giving the family a break as he was the applicant. It was put to me that in supporting Declan his mum also had her fair share of stress and pressures in life and to have her along for the experience so she could share in her sons day without having to think was very important to GTL. Again I was impressed by the thoughtful approach taken, how nothing was over looked. I was asked along to help with the days schedule and to deal with some of the videos and photos and effectively support Tom as an assistant as he went about his work. 

It was incredible once again, Declan was a fantastic young lad, a pleasure to be around and a credit to his family. The meet and greet, which you can read about on the GTL website, was truly remarkable. I'm not sure there are many lead singers of huge international rock bands that would give up an hour of their time to sit and engage with a fan on a one to one basis, shower him in gifts, and bring him up on stage during their concert, but this fan once again had his mind blown and dreams made. The embrace after the concert between not only Declan, Mum and Corey but also Tom and Corey spoke a thousand words to me. But the one that stood out the most was 'Respect'. 

And that is where I finish here, having witnessed all this first hand, I can only say that what Tom has created and continues to provide for the less fortunate, the challenged, the disadvantaged and the socially excluded is a rare rare thing of beauty. He has my total respect.

Comments

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    Amazing stories!

Can’t wait to thank him in person at Fenway for all he does.
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,051
    Great fundraisers coming up bump
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Such an amazing organization.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,136
    Aces!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    :heart::heart:
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Good stuff.  :clap:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Paul, along the way in life we meet people. Some we pass by, some we stop with and spend time with. Time I spend with you is precious. For your friendship and your support. 

Youve embarrassed the hell hell out of me with your generosity here. You know if it was up to me I’d be totally hidden as GTL is all about the person we take to a show. It’s not about me or GTL, GTL simply is a vehicle to create a day where someone has their day, that they’re the VIP. 

And I have to say being an assistant at a GTL show isn’t easy and you’ve been gold both times and a huge help & support. 

Thank you you for this post. Now I’m going to find a corner to hide in as it’s far too much attention for me! 
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
    One of the many reasons GTL works the way it does. 
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

All the way from Orlando, Florida! 
    Given To Live -

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,051
    bump
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I love this organization and the work they do. Well done!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
    Local artists create posters for the people GTL takes to shows.

The VIPs aren’t the ones on stage however big the band... Pearl Jam, FooFighters, Slipknot, Metallica...the VIPs are Given To Live’s guests. 

The show is the vehicle that allows GTL to honour & celebrate a life whether that life is an adult couple fighting cancer together, a young person with severe depression, an adult with PTSD due to child abuse, physical disability, mental health issues.

Whatever the reason our guests are at their show, it’s their show and a poster created for them by our artists is a small part of their show.
    Given To Live -